Youtube/Web DMs

I've been watching a few of Spoony's videos lately, and I started to realise a few things about the successful "Youtube" DMs - Matt Mercer, the Nerdachy guys, Drunkens and Dragons, etc.

I wouldn't want to be a player of theirs.

I don't know what it is. They seem to be quite set in their ways, although some may have wise information or perhaps good tips; it feels as though there's too much opinion. In all honesty Nerdarchy shows the least of this - But Drunkens and Mercer can speak utter dogshit sometimes. Fuck, Drunkens comes off as far too smug for my taste. Mercer's alright as a storyteller, just not a great DM.

Then I watch Spoony, Matt Colville or the Chris Perkins Q&A's and I feel like "fuck, I wish he was my DM." They feel less bullshit, they feel like they don't cater to a basic audience (Colville does do this a tiny bit though, which I pass of because a lot of his other work is pretty spot on.) Spoony and Chris seem to run good, captivating campaigns, not to mention being livewires themselves - in a good way.

Anyone else have similar/differing realisations?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Srp-pPmCjc8
youtube.com/watch?v=9KB5R73YGuY
youtube.com/watch?v=2Aqw51ACvu4
youtube.com/watch?v=V2OiQ5ruiGE
astranauta.github.io/statgen.html#0
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhxakbChjMJPF1BfjBu6q1GABjt7eBzfP
youtu.be/0K9mKpAMREU?t=10m27s
youtube.com/watch?v=GJb7ed3ueLk
youtube.com/watch?v=mHRlAdRyNVg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm not actually shitting on Mercer or Nerdarchy, I still watch their videos.

I dunno about those people you mentioned, OP, but Critical Role is pure cancer that needs to be excised from the hobby with fire.

> Critical Role is pure cancer

Oh, I completely agree. It's just Geek and Sundries audience to be fucking simple.

Do you mean old Spoony or the bitter hermit Spoony's become now?

Old Spoony mostly. Before he moved into his dungeon office. Apocalypse Stone was a fun video though.

I quite like drunkens though I take his opinion w/ a grain of salt. He clearly puts in a lot of effort especially with the terrain which I love. Chris Perkins is GOAT tho

Matt Mercer seems like a solid guy and a great GM, but I'd hate to play in an improv acting group instead of how normal people play Dungeons & Dragons.

Adam Koebel is a good GM and all his games feel more like typical RPG campaigns, but that makes them boring to sit down and watch.

Random YouTubers/streamers with less than 500 views on their videos, those are pretty comfy to flick through. Just a few friends playing over Roll20 and they decided to put it on the internet. Obviously it's a mixed bag, but it's a nice break from overproduced e-celebrity shows.

Matt Mercer knows how to be entertaining for people watching, and if you watch his tips he'll teach you how to be entertaining for people watching, too.

Matt Colville knows how to make a game entertaining for the people at the table, and if you watch his tips he'll teach you to make a game entertaining for the people at the table, too.

Everyone else is somewhere in the middle. Chris Perkins *is* the middle.

Favorite d&d YouTuber to watch is ProJared, but I started watchinf him when he just did video games, so I already had an idea of his personality and preferences. He's entertaining and his opinions are usually spot on, or at least well thought out.

>wanting Spoony as a GM
>ever
Every time I watched Counter Monkey I wanted to strangle the wrongness out of him

Different tastes I guess, I prefer less high fantasy stuff.

So do I, Spoony is just generally wrong about tons of things.
>stupid enough to join a Vampire LARP, did zero research on the factions, gets bootyblasted when he gets assrammed by established big cheeses
>is fucking blind as a bat, as his video on dice proves
>defends all the bad things about old D&D, including fucking 3d6 down the line

He'd be shit and you know it

Who is the worst youtube DM and why is it Sargon?

Matt Mercer. Love him as Mcree, but fuck is he awful as a DM.

>Vampire LARP
iirc, he said that he was a fan and had a good grasp of the factions, and chose one of the less popular factions in the area because he by design is a contrarian. But from what he said, it sounded like the most stale ass larp anyway.

>Blind
True

>Defends Old D&D
I don't mind watch AD&D videos, can't speak for playing it though.

Joining a Vampire LARP at all is risky, they're known for being shit. Also that rambling on about "good guy factions" when, especially in Vampire, there's only varying flavours of bad since at the end of the day your character's still going to have to commit some form of assault to survive. Dude needed to fucking wake up.

And 3d6 down the line is shit for all editions of D&D.

>Fuck, Drunkens comes off as far too smug for my taste.
What the fuck are you even on about? Hank is mega chill. Dude just likes to drink beer and play D&D. Never even seen a hint of smug coming off the guy.

>Never even seen a hint of smug coming off the guy.
>Creates a near 40 minute video jacking himself off to his own campaign

Ok.

Name one fucking youtube DM who hasn't talked about their campaign. I mean, shit, by that logic Matt Mercer beats his goddamn dick raw in front of a live studio audience every week.

You missed the point, there's talking about a campaign and then there's saying how flawless it was.

>being livewires
What does that mean?

OP - have you seen Spoony ACTUALLY DM? Not just talk about it, but actually do it.

He's awful. Check out his old Pathfinder games on youtube. Some of the worst DMing I've ever seen.

Granted, he may have actually been good in the past, before the e-fame and depression and alcoholism. But everything of him actually DMing that exists is awful.

What, specifically, is bad about Spoony's DM'ing?

You don't know the first fucking thing about Spoony as a person my dude.

youtube.com/watch?v=Srp-pPmCjc8
youtube.com/watch?v=2Aqw51ACvu4

The guys a pathetic, fragile little manboy. The best DM is one you can stand in real life and this dude doesn't meet that low, /low/ fucking benchmark.

Spoony talks some good shit in his counter monkeys, but is shit tier in actual games.

The two Matts, Colville and Mercer, seem to like each other, but there's one video that Colville put out that tries to describe a fundamental difference between their two DMing styles. Might be worth looking at if you're thinking about the sort of game you like.

youtube.com/watch?v=V2OiQ5ruiGE

Short version is that Colville tries to make a setting with its own consistent rules, and Mercer's setting is always changing to reflect aspects of the PCs. Two different styles, both capable of delivering drama, but with very different focuses. Colville says in that video that his players have to work at being important within the setting. (He also talks about ways to make this feel awesome, like when NPCs go from fearing and distrusting the wandering murderers to welcoming and supporting the wandering heroes.)

Personally, I prefer Colville's videos. He's also brilliant when paused at random moments.

I also quite like his chargen system where you roll 4d6k3 in order repeatedly and stop when you get at least two 16s. It's probably another manifestation of the difference between him and Mercer; you can't turn up with your character already built and expect to be accommodated, you must roll to see who you get to be. (And you get to be awesome, because the setting isn't about your character but the game certainly is about you.)

astranauta.github.io/statgen.html#0
Give it a roll, stop when you have two 16s. No stopping early, you can't keep that 15,15,15,18,15,15 Wizard.

Koebel is cringe incarnate

>I wouldn't want to be a player of theirs.
Me neither, specially Mercer.

>doesn't understand the Internet, basic economics, advertising, promotion, or basic human social interaction.

Ok.

Colville is top tier. He has ruined me on other video creators.

Sargon has been a DM?

@54462922
(You)

Is he really that bad?

He has a very bad attitude, he's very argumentative. Which is the same problem I have.

But he does also have to play with Vee who is aweful.

He's done two games. One with Lordkat and the cancelled pathfinder game. Watching the pathfinder one made me want to play D&D in the first place

>Shilling for an SJW

Fuck off!

Lordfat was so awful in that game.

16, 15, 11, 9, 16, 17
Not bad. Mountain Dwarf STR Valor Bard here I come.

He DM'd a game with Vee, Scrumpmonkey, and Arch Warhammer
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhxakbChjMJPF1BfjBu6q1GABjt7eBzfP
Vee did nothing wrong. Early on he was roleplaying a meathead, and later everyone second guessed everything he said based on his previous character's decisions, even though he was a new character and turned out to be right most of the time.

I guess your ight. But Vee did something alot of players do, making assumptions instead of asking the DM for information and then getting pissy with their assumption is wrong.

Mainline Web DM. Jim and Pruitt are great in my opinion.

>Canceled pathfinder game
The one where he killed two characters in the first session because they didn't bring slashing weapons?

Sounds to me like they killed themselves by not running away. But then again, Pathfinderfags are entitled shits that will blame their DM the second the game world isn't balanced specifically to revolve around the axis of their character and be "winnable" in every encounter.

He hasn't killed himself yet?

So, I occasionally hear this spoony guy mentioned but I don't know anything about the fellow.

I'm guessing he was an early actor on the online TTRPG video scene, and judging from how people talk about him he eventually just completely lost his marbles?

Projecting pretty hard there buddy. But I do think it is pretty much common sense to give your players some slack when they're clearly not as versed in the intricacies of your shit system as you are. Especially if you're a fucking AD&D grognard. It probably didn't even occurred to them that they could've ran away, or that they were going to get bushwacked in the first place.

Because trashing the characters that they've clearly put some thought into seeing as they even bothered to give them funerals is not how you're going to get them interested in learning or coming back to play with you again. Case in point, this is the "canceled" pathfinder game.

If the players committed suicide by cop and the GM didn't explicitly take away their ability to run away, then it seems extremely self-evident to me whose fault that is.

Ol'' Jim can give you a rundown on him.

>muh bogeyman

Eh, I can sympathize since I like my characters to be good or at least sympathetic, it makes the darkness of the setting more tragic that way

They went into a situation that they weren't prepared for, running away and coming back later was always an option.

Yea, not everyone wants a combat sim. Some people want an rpg with some combat. Not sure why people think it's ok to slaughter players and be like 'ya fuck you players haha you werent rdy!'

I actually like Sargon and watch all his stuff, but I couldn`t sit through his GMing, it personally offended me as a GM.

He is a regressive leftist, but his videos are (usually) non-political and mostly spot-on and good advice.

>muh weakass shill comebacks

>I also quite like his chargen system where you roll 4d6k3 in order repeatedly and stop when you get at least two 16s.

I played a one-shot with this rolling system, not going to lie it was pretty obnoxious. The party stat spreads made us really imbalanced class-wise, which was kind of irritating when dropped into a combat-heavy module built for a party that was at least somewhat better built than ours.

It's also kind of stupid on its face. The rolling process is a pain in the ass as you continuously have to keep scrapping stat spreads where you get like a single eighteen and two fifteens and it's like "nope you have to throw it away" even though I would have been totally fine with keeping it (though that could have just been my GM). Also, under this system, a character with a 16/16/3/3/3/3 stat spread is considered viable whereas a character with a 18/15/15/15/15/15 spread is considered too weak, which is just fucking retarded.

Overall, honestly, would not recommend. I'm sure someone can think of a better system that preserves the idea of the system without the stupidity.

Y-yeah, user, Veeky Forums is s-supposed to be a s-safe space with n-no SJW shitlords to m-microaggress against m-me.

>stupid enough to join a Vampire LARP, did zero research on the factions, gets bootyblasted when he gets assrammed by established big cheeses
But then he gets his revenge in spectacular fashion. That's what made it such a good story.

He did seem pretty bad in the Pathfinder games, but before those, he DMed a game with a bunch of the other TGWTG guys on Lordkat's stream, and he was okay then. I wonder if the recordings of those sessions are still out there somewhere. They were pretty fun. So was Lordkat's Wyrmwick campaign.

If you have to devise weird rules for rolling just so you'll never end up with a few uncomfortably low scores, why not just fucking use point buy and be precisely as good as you want in the things you want...

Or just skip rolling and use all 18s or whatever. What's the goddamn point.

>I also quite like his chargen system where you roll 4d6k3 in order repeatedly and stop when you get at least two 16s

Also known as "4d6k3 4 times, plus two 16s". Is he an idiot?

That's just it. Nothing is saying you can't be a reasonably good vampire, but almost every other NPC is going to be too jaded to try, and since every faction has older, jaded vampires as the majority...

>But then he becomes That Guy in spectacular fashion. This is okay because the other players were assholes.
Fixed

Because muh gygaxian naturalism or some other pathetic excuse

I agree.
If you do not, read his twitter for five minutes

Drunkens and Dragons guy is probably "that GM"

>Only evil people irl would play an evil Pc
>And I don't play with evil people
>Is totally ok with mages, elfs and such

Well he's drunk half the time.
His mechanic videos are very interesting though, plus I'm sure anyone would kill to have a dude that makes terrain to be their DM

Happy jacks are here

I liked his videos and he has good advise but, I can't watch his stuff anymore; without thinking that this man seriously believes that if you did not like the new ghostbusters movie you are a facist.
It's not even like he shoots at the people actually hating it for the four women in it.

He specifially called out people in the comments who said the old film was better. He would have none of that and insisted that the old film was on the same artistic level as the new one and people who disagree do this only because they want Hitler to come back.

His terrain is amazing and many of his ideas are too; but sentences like these are huge red flags for me that he tends to be over controlling when something does not go his way.
So basically I love his advise but would not want to play with him as a GM; maybe as another player.

>reading anyone's twitter

>The party stat spreads made us really imbalanced class-wise
How so? Not enough people covering every base tactics wise? Also Coleville's method was you have to re-roll unless you have two or more 15s
youtu.be/0K9mKpAMREU?t=10m27s
which could be amended to "you MAY re-roll if you don't have two or more 15s" so that you can play someone with all 14s. Also 3s in 4d6keep3 have a 0.08% chance of occurring, though your comment about wonky stats is still something I agree with.

Webdm is pretty great, they can really help with getting into a monster and making it seem better vs some caricature

His system lets you keep 17-18's, as well.

>so you'll never end up with a few uncomfortably low scores
But the method isn't about not having low score, it's about not having scores that aren't high enough. I agree that point buy is simple enough, and not "bland" like Colville thinks it is though.

I prefer 4d6k3, swap any 2 scores for 16s, but yeah, he doesn't seem to believe that keep it simple stupid is good design advice, he loves Mike Mearls' retarded initiative system cause it "adds tactical depth and I don't care about speed of play".

Does anyone have any recommendations for RPG video series that aren't D&D-based? I've found some nice podcasts about various things, but nothing in video form yet.

There are certain classes I just dislike and certain ones I don't, it might be fun for one game but I wouldn't want to stick with this as the stat gen system I use forever.

Sounds like he isn't the guy in the wrong here.
>is asked to join a LARP and gets no heads up about some no fun spergs that will torture new characters from the DM
>3d6 for life, you point buy safety net baby

Yeah, Colville's method is specifically for newbies who will try to bring a character concept the system doesn't support, his example being Wolverine.

Does anyone ever mean current spoony when speaking in a positive light?

youtube.com/watch?v=GJb7ed3ueLk

Honestly that doesn't even scratch the surface with Noah.

There's a current spoony? I'm pretty sure he hasn't released or even done anything for a fucking year now.

Current Spoony refers to how he's been for the last...I'd say 5 years. That's current Spoony until something changes and he becomes a different form of Spoony.

>I view risking having a useless character before the game even begins as a sign of being a better roleplayer
Put your bravado back in your pants.

Also,
>Vampire LARP
That shit is a breeding ground for the worst in White Wolf fandom nine times out of ten, if you aren't at very least cautious you deserve all you get

Fuck all these dipshits that made D&D normal and flooded the hobby with dumbass antifa types.

BETRAYAL

BETRAYED ME

Current Spoony isn't how he was 5 years ago though. Since he was till making content at that point. Good Spoony turned into Bad Spoony with the shitty sketches and tgwtg cancer, who then turned into Worse Spoony/Phantom Spoony with the patreon.
He's probably going to reach his final form and turn into Dead Spoony at this rhythm whenever he inevitably loses the goodwill of the last few fans that he has left or his dangerhair girlfriend finally dumps his ass for someone else who actually has money and a job.

>somebody criticized my safezone, waaah
Go back to your level 1000 character in Skryim, adults want to have fun with actual characters.

Have you watched the 3d6 video even? He just rambles pointlessly about how it's no big deal and keeps contradicting himself without ever saying any relevant reason you'd do 3d6 down besides him liking it more. And that's pretty much all of his videos on GM advice.

Not that guy but I feel like it's kind of a reflection of him being a player of older editions. When I look at OSR games the stats don't really matter and the spreads are wider to get from 0 to +1 and such, the most important ones are your HP from what I can tell, since everything adjusts and increases as you level up.

Then again he also played Pathfinder, so that's probably more to encourage people to not be buildfags, instead of building up something invincible you come in, roll, and build your character off what you get.

>my retarded quadriplegic Baldrick clone has character, who cares if he has at best a 25%-35% chance of doing anything

Again, 3d6 down the line is bad even in older editions. And what if I don't want to play a basket weaver with some kind of horrible wasting disease and the charisma of a decaying carcass?

Sorry, what does the k stand for?

Not going to include when he joined a L5R game, and got brutally slaughtered because the players were jerks that didn't explain how Rokugan society worked?

"k"eep

"Keep". It presumably works if you type it into roll20's dice roller.

I didn't watch that far, what I saw already made me unreasonably angry over how much of a thick cunt he was being

"Keep". It comes from the system L5R uses.

Speaking of L5R, yeah, those players were dicks. If there's any game where you need to let players take back their mistakes, it's that one.

There's an incredibly easy way to filter those antifa types out of your group, by running the anti-SJW campaign:
>Catholocism is objectively the One True Religion, patron deities are replaced with patron saints
>All humans are various shades of white, all cis-gendered and female adventurers are given the stink-eye
>Orcs are objectively dumber and more criminal than humans, and exterminating them down to the last child is an objectively good act
>The once great High Elf civilization collapsed into an impoverished shithole where the undead roam the streets because it fell victim to the ideology of socialism and universal basic income, believing that just letting all the work be done by the undead would solve the problem
Anyone who doesn't get triggered by all that shit is a right lad.

>those faggots who expect trannies to be in fantasy despite magic making it easy to change genders in the blink of an eye

>"if white, cisgendered men are the norm in your setting you don't know shit about fantasy"

Please kill me.

I have a Spoony story
I was at ShadoCon, the video where filmed the Sorbo Counter Monkey video

During the Q&A after he told that story and a couple others I asked about his Final Fantasy XIII-2 video and he said that he hasn't completed the script because he needed to write the fight scene or something and was creatively stuck

After the event I went up and shook his hand and told him that I like his videos and he seemed happy to hear that

I have no clue what he's up to

youtube.com/watch?v=mHRlAdRyNVg