I want to run a based somewhat based on Fallen London and Sunless Sea, accentuating mariners and ports and the like...

I want to run a based somewhat based on Fallen London and Sunless Sea, accentuating mariners and ports and the like. What kind of system can I use?

I guess you can use Call of Cthulu for Fallen London, dunno what to use on Sea bits though

Anything with a sanity mechanic built in. CoC is the go to standard.

It wouldn't mesh well with Call of Cthulu, but with some homebrewing you could use Savage worlds: Fifty Fathoms.
Or use the actual system they use in a RT/DH style system. The 5 base stats on a suitable dice system. I made a homebrew using these with re-rolls for certain skills in the general stat.
Players had their base Iron stat, then a number of rerolls (between 0-4) for Blades, Guns, Gunnery, and Defense.
The same applied for the others. I can find the char sheet in a bit, if your interested.

Would a percentage die system work well?

How will we factor Shadowy, Persuasive, Watchful and Dangerous into this?

Go with either the Sunless Sea stats or the Fallen London stats. Personally, I'd prefer SPWD over HPIMV because Hearts as a stat is pretty useless for what it's meant to be.

Here is the Character sheet.
The percentage dice system did work well, and was the basis for this.
I incorporated it into other stats.

I do seriously need to work on how combat works though, since it became impossible to hit some people who invested in defense

>Here is the Character sheet.
Nice!

Could you explain what the "10s digit of" means?

If you have the number 54, the 5 is the 10s digit, the 4 is the singles digit.

>I do seriously need to work on how combat works though,
You think you could explain it here and maybe post an example, we should be able to sort something out.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Okay, so Combat worked like this
Calculate target number by adding Opponents Combat Modifier to Own Iron. If the roll is under the target number, the attack is successful. For every 2 success', increases damage by one step. Success' are degrees of 5
Combat ended up being clunky and hard to manage. I was trying to deal with having your opponents skill/armour affect the roll, without doing the FF solution of reactions.

A khanate player had a modifier of -15, due to a 30 iron, 2 in defence and 1 in evasion and then some armour giving him a 20 bonus. This meant that if people focused combat routes, Two skilled opponents cannot hit each other. I fixed this by having salt drive him insane and make him jump of the railings at the end of the campaign, while another player became Salts representative at Kingeater Castle.

I can tell the story of the campaign if people are interested, while I post some of the equipment I made for the game

Go right ahead

I'm not complaining.

Right so this is Character Gen
The Party Was
Emilia- A former poet and pilot. Enjoyed long walks around the deck and not getting eaten by crabs. (The player went for a commander-type, a fair amount in hearts, and iron. Liked to be the centre of attention, but could take not being it as well)
Vestavian- A tomb-colonist with a shaky hold on reality, who enjoyed petitioning the gods, and then rolling with what came. (When I said magic was in the game, he wanted to make a character around this. I had not made demon character gen yet. He asked me what the most dangerous form of magic was. And thus, he became the guy who asks Storm and Stone for help. He was not crazy enough to ask Salt.)
Reggie- A Rattus engineer, with a large (Very large) family, who were so proud their boy had gotten a job on a proper ship and had finally left the nest. (The player had just come off playing an ork in RT and wanted a smart character. Grabbed a rattus pistol and became a decent shot)
Sarkhan (This was just after Tarkir had come out for MTG)- A former member of the Khanguard, who had left due to getting drunk on duty. He had fought in the campaign to invade hell, and still bore the scars. (The affore mentioned close-combat issue. He did play it down though, and most often ended up being the tank, while a problem was fixed.)

There was also
Domini- A sloth demon who joined later on in the campaign.
I will post in about an hour once I have had food etc. Also, Equipment!

>Our Tale begins with Emilia walking around the docks. She has inherited a ship, a small steam liner, and a huge amount of debt.
>She then hires an engineer, a Rattus called Reggie, a Gunnery officer called Sarkhan, and had found a tomb colonist called Vestavian hiding in the hull, who had promised he could summon magic.
>Several hopeful or desparate (honestly, who cares which?) hanging around the dock became a crew, and the command staff gathered to decide their next move.
>The most obvious point was that they needed money. They only had 20 loads of fuel, and could not afford any more.
>Vestavian suggested that Stone might give the crew some gems, but then realised that the amount of limbs sacrificed would only leave half a person to benefit from the gift.
>A more sensible suggestion came from Sarkhan, that the Admiralty would often employ merchant captains to do mercenary work, and also paid well for port reports.
>Emilia promptly went to the Admiralty, and after being bounced between departments was shown into a room with a rushed functionary looking at a list of imports and exports.
>He handed her a small chest, and told her to go to a small island to the south of Tanah's Chook, and give it to Valus, a chap who is doing some very important research.
>Emilia takes the chest and heads back to the ship. Reggie informs her the engine is a Piece of Shit, the Gun is a worse piece of shit, but at least there are no leaks.
>Our crew sail off, heading for a small island near Venderbight.

Haven't the developers announced an actual official Rp game?

>The crew are sailing for a while, heading northwards. The mist creeps in, and the far of lights of boats and faraway islands appear like stars cresting the horizon
>Then, out of the gloom, a dark shape emerges, with a handful of twinkling lights covering it. A house looms out of the darkness, sitting atop an island of stone and grass.
(A note here, I am far more familiar with Sunless Sea than Fallen London, so the story draws a lot from the quests in there)
>The ship pulls up, and the crew begin walking slowly up the steps. Reggie pokes around the grounds, and catches sight of a woman, dressed as a maid standing on a balcony. He hurries back to path.
> Emilia knocks on the door, and is greeted by a maid who invites the senior crew in for lunch, while sandwiches are sent down to the ship for the crew.
>Once inside, they are lead through the dark and gloomy house, to a conservatory, where a young woman, who introduces herself as Lucy, greets them with elegant courtesy, and pours tea. She giggles when Sarkhan attempts to flirt with her, saying her Sisters would never approve.
>Her sisters shortly arrive, and the three sit separately, making conversation.
>Emilia talks with Cynthia, who tells a dark tale about the dreadful story of a man who killed and ate his victims. Cynthia offers Emilia a handkerchief, pointing out that a thin trickle of red liquid is seeping from the corner of her mouth, tomato juice maybe?
>Sarkhan and Reggie are intrigued by Lucy, who tells a story involving a Vicar, a cow, and a milkmaid? or was it the lady of the house. Either way, Reggie accidentally inhales his tea, and has to be banged on the back by Sarkhan.
>Vestavian speaks with Phoebe, and tries to engage her in a game of dice. However, his devilbone dice will only roll 1 of each number, while she rolls exactly the same. He then forgets what they did after that, but all he knows is that his bandages are soaking with fresh salt water.
>As the crew are leaving, they feel... watched.

>>Vestavian suggested that Stone might give the crew some gems, but then realised that the amount of limbs sacrificed would only leave half a person to benefit from the gift.
God dammit Vestavian.

That is a theme.....

>The Crew leave, fairly certain that their concerns about being watched are simply Zailor twitches.
>They begin to sail north, and after a short while, can sea a green light, high in the distance.
>However, from his perch on the ships prow, Vestavian also spots a dim yellow light, moving towards them out of the gloom.
>"PIRATES!" He yells, before taking a second look. Yes, they are turning towards the ship, and that gun appears to be being loaded. "DEFINITELY PIRATES!"
>Reggie and Sarkhan jump on the gun, and begins to prepare to fire. Emilia sights the ship, and calls down some distances to Reggie and Sarkhan.
>Reggie does some calculations, and positions the gun in triple quick time! Sarkhan fires, and hits the pirates, clear in the hull!
>Vestavian feels left out, and realises that if the pirates get electrocuted, they can't fire their weapon. He pulls out his dice...
>Storm recieves a message from an uppity little mummy, asking him to electrocuted a bunch of pirates.
>A small localised thunderstorm begins, over both ships. After some difficulty piloting, Emilia draws another firing solution.
>Reggie prepares the gun to fire, and Sarkhan waits for the gun to be in position.
>Vestavian pokes his dice wondering why nothing has happened yet. Then a bolt of lightning hits the deck beneath him, destroying it and sending him into the hold.
>He passes out from fall damage, but not before the opposing ship gets hit by a huge bolt of green lightning, and begins to sink, including the fuel, supplies and parts that it carried.

>>Storm receives a message from an uppity little mummy, asking him to electrocuted a bunch of pirates.
>>Vestavian pokes his dice wondering why nothing has happened yet. Then a bolt of lightning hits the deck beneath him, destroying it and sending him into the hold.
Clearly Storm does not like Spam Mail.

I will take this chance to explain how I deal with petitioning.
If you petition Stone, you better offer up some serious self-injury, and not heal it directly afterwards. Let it bleed. Then you roll, and there will be secret bonuses based on how serious the gift you gave was.

If you call upon Storm, and succeed on the roll, what you want will happen. Eventually. And maybe not to the thing you wanted it to happen to. Or maybe something else will happen, to the right people, at the right time, but it wont be what you wanted.

And if you call on Salt.... Well pray to whoever will hear you that he doesn't answer...

I always thought that salt was interested in stories and tales considering that most events around him seem to revolve around them like his shrine at Whither.
It sounds like you have Salt set up more as how storm is, cruel and vengeful, out of curiosity why?

I see Storm as Capricious and fickle. He won't do what you ask of him, unless he wants to. Salt, on the other hand, is far more Mysterious, unpredictable and above all, scary. After all, it is Salt who rules from Kingeater Castle, the place Zeamen go to die, or go insane. Salt is utterly detached, he cares not for the concerns of humans and demons.

As proof of this, if you run out of Fuel and pray to stone, you suffer a wound, and gain some supplies and fuel. If you pray to Storm, you can suddenly go at breakneck speeds and have some fuel, or you can get nothing.
If you pray to Salt, you are moved to Kingeater Castle, where the eventual options are "Eat your Crew", or "Go Insane". Salt is not cruel and vengeful, but you do not want his attention

>where the eventual options are "Eat your Crew", or "Go Insane".
Or both! Not necessarily in the order presented here!

Yeah, Salt is just all consuming, whereas Storm may help you or hinder you, and Stone will help for Pay. There is a reason why you build a shrine to Stone and not to the others.

Bump. This i a neat thread for a cool game idea. I dig the sunless sea aesthetic

Okay, I need to sleep, so I will continuing to post tomorrow around the same time.

Fair enough i suppose; Salt is just the one that i find the most prevalent since he is the one that appears the most though the events where the others seem to avoid interaction unless you do something to gain it. He has his white Zee bats, there is a Zailor you can find in a event who makes a shrine too him, and out of all the gods his sacrifice is the most harmless, all that is required is that you tell him a tale.

Salt in sunless sea can concede powerful experiences and visions... If you sacrifice zailors to gain them

Lets admit it: everything in Sunless Sea would give you something if you sacrifice a Zailor or two to them

I'm not so sure about the livingburgs... You could feed them the entire tripulation and they would still want your blaahd without giving shit in exchange.

driftwood verses is something you might want to keep your eye on OP

Well while they eat the Zailors, if they even eat, they give you more time to run/shoot/pray to the gods for a quick death before they come at you.

Here you go.

GURPS with supplements is best

I wouldn't suggest CoC, for one reason:
A KEY feature of sunless sea is that by the end, you can kill fiddy men at the same time and have acquired arcane power from dozens of sources. All this while still being playable.

Well it's better than the Tree of Ages at least.

Haven't I seen you before

>If you pray to Salt, you are moved to Kingeater Castle
You can also be moved to Irem. It's kind of random.

Also, I'm not sure Kingeater is Salt's place. I got the impression it's where Mr Candles was consumed by the Third City priest-kings, transforming him into Mr Eaten/the Drowned Man.

I still think Storm is the most dangerous of the three Zee-deities. Sure, Salt's curse is more severe, but it takes a lot more to earn it. Storm is almost Khorne-like in how consistently pissed off and bloodthirsty he is.

There have been theories that Kingeater's is indeed that place, however Kingeater's is always the most southeastern location while Mr Eaten is always connected with North.

I have a question about the System...how would you handle Polythremian Natives?