Fallout Weekend General

Catfish Mirelurk edition

dropbox.com/s/piljepe7l3wcd4c/Fallout The Big Apple Wasteland.pdf?dl=0
mediafire.com/file/779ocuy1quxa7qb/Fallout PnP Complete Kit.zip
mediafire.com/?jpk043dwnhsf60i

archive.org/details/Fallout_201704
archive.org/details/msdos_Fallout_1997
mega.nz/#!gjIVQahB!LJV4dfPcibNyTP2FM2jRLYbBuNp-0kOudxD3ChGN7gU

What's something new that could be added to the Wasteland, that's not just reusing old ideas like the Brotherhood or the Legion? Fallout hasn't made much new in a while.

So, what kind of group compositions do you usually run in your games? In the video games, the action is centered around one individual, so how will you balance out skills between party members? Do you include one of the typical character archetypes for each player? Do you have several shooty dudes and one smooth talker?

I've been thinking there aren't really many "feudalistic" factions, considering there are factions for most other stages of human history. We have primitive hunter-gatherers, despotic slave-states, and liberal democracies, but we don't have any divine monarchs or aristocrat-serf relationships.

Does feudalism make sense for the Wasteland? It's a very loose system that suits itself more to controlling and protecting territory more than actively warring against others, at least compared to warlike factions like the Legion, or how the NCR can rely on conscription and drafts. And it requires a lot of links in the chain - if it was just a lord and serfs, that'd be just a despot, you need people above that lord to pay homage to.

Like, I don't like what Caesar did to the tribes he united under the Legion, but he had a point in that they were 'playing' at war - they would never survive a war like what the NCR could have brought against them. Then again, skirmishes and non-total war are what most tribal cultures do, so it's not exactly fair to act like it was lesser for it.

How retarded am I for wanting a fragment of the Outcasts to have attempted to head back to the West Coast to tattle on Lyons, and have gotten stuck somewhere in the Midwest and holed up?

I'd like to imagine they'd be on their last legs in some factory, barely keeping a force of robots together with their human members numbering little more than a squad or two, but still stubbornly holding to their goal and utterly exasperated with a group of tribals squatting around their base that think they're the warrior spirits of their ancestors.

I'd play an angry Outcast campaign.

Like what, you'd want to Fortunate Son the local wildlife?

Honestly I couldn't care less about the Brotherhood of Steel at this point. Their story has been told, we need fresh new concepts in the setting.
>with a group of tribals squatting around their base that think they're the warrior spirits of their ancestors.
However, I really like this part. Most tribals seem to forgo technology because the don't know how to use it, but it would be intriguing to see them worship technology they don't understand.

>However, I really like this part. Most tribals seem to forgo technology because the don't know how to use it, but it would be intriguing to see them worship technology they don't understand.
I had an idea about an Alaskan tribal village that does that with military equipment left over from the Great War.

I wish we could have seen more of Alaska in general and not "Call of Duty: Alaska Warfare."

I don't know how they would have managed it, but could have been cool.

>instead of a simulation, a robot/synth body is awakened in a long-dormant Alaskan training facility for you to pilot
>partway through your 'tour' you find that a way out has been created by a hole in the side of a corridor
>get to have a lot of adventures with the wastelanders of Alaska, which are a mix of former army personnel, Chinese remnants, and natives gone back to tribal ways
>main quest is basically getting out of the synth body to go back home, and the area is limited by signal from the training facility so you can't go too far
>can affect the local factions - convince the military descendants to 'keep fighting the good fight' since you're the closet they've gotten go contact with 'The Brass Gods' in years, help the natives salvage technology that is relevant to their religious beliefs, convince the Chinese that the war is over and they can stop raiding everyone else, etc

How does a ghoul group (possibly pre-war) that despises humans and the greedy, neglectful, short-sighted human society that led to the great war, depletion of resources, and destruction of the environment sound? They may want to exterminate humans, turn some of them into ghouls, or clash with new societies that are going down the same terrible route.

I really hate the continuation of pre-war conflicts and making the Chinese the bad guys.

With House at the head, then yeah.

It's not that the Chinese are the bad guys, I just figure in Alaska of all places the general sense of conflict would never have fully abated, unlike in other parts of the world, because it was fought over for so long and memorialized at least on the American side.

I wouldn't exactly call House in any way trying to make use of a feudal system. If anything he's more corporate - it's more about business transactions than feudal dues.

>Alaska in general and not "Call of Duty: Alaska Warfare
I'm picturing Bethesda being lazy bastards and roughly copy-pasting Skyrim into Fallout with miscellaneous factions etc from previous Fallouts hodgepodged in,
>Starting the game in the back of an NCR transport near the Canadian border. You've been picked up along with REBELLEADER and are due to be executed at MINORCITY

>instead of dragons coming back it's a chapter of the Brotherhood coming in with another blimp
>Brotherhood questline involves activating another Liberty Prime
>a group misunderstands hockey, again
>faction that's like the Thalmor and evil but actually everything they do is justified and not their fault maybe wow really made you think huh ',:)

>But, there is one they fear. In their tongue, he is wharblgarbl: VAULTBORN!

>Vaultborn discovers his special unique DNA-locked pipboy can use various special abilities, like a sudden gust of air, or the ability to slow time
>Vaultborn learns from a group of aging Brotherhood scribes that multiple holotapes scattered across the wasteland can unlock more pipboy abilities

Im a bit of a salvager, tell me all the things you liked in the bad fallout games

Bethesda's obsessed with tying the player character to the pre-war world and giving some sort of hackneyed motivation behind the main plot. How about
>Vaultborn is the product secret Vault-Tec pre-war experiments, just fresh from cryosleep
>Discovers that his creator, the project lead on Project wharblgarbl, also survived cryosleep and is headed to Anchorage to awaken Liberty Prime II: This Time It's Libertier and poison the Pacific with FEV-variant mutant exterminator

I liked Fallout Tactics. Sure, the Calculator and Vault 0 were terrible ideas, but squad combat was pretty fun. If only the AI would do more patrols and actually react to your assaults.

basically they are holding the plot into stasis in all being about the war and the wasteland rather then letting the world evolve

Well, in fairness, once the world evolves, it's no longer really the classic Fallout 1 experience that everybody's so nostalgic for and desperate to embrace, now is it?

So, question: who here thinks that the Brotherhood of Steel are ultimately bunch of hypocrites and have been since the first game?

And who here kind of hopes that they'll end up dying out?

I don't know - I think you mean that sarcastically, but Fallout 1 was on some level about getting to freshly view this very new and different world from the world that we're familiar with, or the Vault Dweller for that matter. But it's not like we lost that experience with Fallout 2 or New Vegas, even though neither PCs in those games were from Vaults. And if the world doesn't evolve, what new things are we supposed to see? There's not that same sense of 'this is a strange different world,' as much as 'this is a setting I have long been familiar with.' And maybe the series has been on that track for a while now.

I mean hell the Mojave isn't even a deserted because of nukes mostly, it's just a natural desert, the NCR are implied to be modern in their own territory

more gang, really. He's basically the kingpin, but there's noone to say what he's doing is illegal. The families are all structured and behave like individual mob families, and the Omerta's history implies that they had some level of power even before new vegas- and they didn't get that from gambling. I'm guessing they were basically tribals with better equipment who had a bunch of non-aligned towns that gave them tithes.

Fallout 4 felt like more of the same, Fallout New Vegas felt like something new. It's not that this is a track fallout has been on- it's that Bethesda can't mix things up. Why are there super mutants? UNCLEAR! Why is the brotherhood here? *mumbles* racism?

Oh, and if anyone can come up with a good excuse for super mutant suiciders, I'm all fucking ears. fuck fallout 4.

>super mutant suiciders
Whut

they have mininukes. they run at you. then they do a touchdown.

Sounds like something better suited to Serious Sam.

This is a shaky idea, mind, but I think it's because Bethesda is trying to be less story and setting oriented, and more sandbox gameplay oriented. So it's taking cues from other popular sandbox games, like Borderlands - they had a suicider unit if I remember right.

Within the lore, I don't know. All I can guess is that some super mutants are suicidal for various reasons - they've come to hate humans above even preserving their own lives or something. Maybe they're so unintelligent they legitimately don't understand the consequences of their actions and think they might survive. So little is really explained about Super Mutants in 3 and 4 that I don't think Bethesda would have an explanation if you asked - they just wanted fun, recognizable enemies.

Any other animals that could make for interesting wasteland mutants?

>giant dragonflies, wasps, other insects
>snapping turtles with impenetrable shells
>skunks that spray acid
>chimpanzees escaped from a zoo, use scrap for tools
>alligator deathclaws
>raccoon people (this is actually cut content from Fallout 1)

That thing is ridiculous - but it's the first time I remember a tool using mutant creature coming up. Unless you count ghouls.

there's an explanation in three though. It's there. There isn't in four. Fuck four.

The Wasteland isn't inhospitable to feudalism, you just can't have it be very European. You can be a Persian style monarch, ruling over vast territory which is all really governed by satraps (governors) who know you're the real boss. The real life natives who lived in the American west could get fairly militant sometimes, they just lacked any history of great conquerors uniting them (I think)
I never paid attention to the Three Families in NV because by the time I reached them in any game they weren't strong enough to stop my character, making them little more than speech checks quests. Your description makes sense, though, and I can see the families as real tribes, like mini-kingdoms. The families still felt tacked on in-game as an explanation for why House has any competition in New Vegas despite being a super-genius

Would you enjoy seeing more mutants in Fallout?

It might work, but I kind of think the feudalistic structure blends a little into a lot of other different kinds anyway. I'd be more interested in seeing how it'd get to the Persian model, especially if they didn't have access to history books like Caesar did with Rome.

Mutants are one of the best things about after the end settings. I'd like to play a mutant, get weird powers because of it

Only mutants (besides animals, ghouls and the obvious super mutants) I can recall seeing in Fallout are pyskers - and yeah, they obviously get powers, sometimes really awesome ones, but I think if they're brought into the setting too liberally, it'll kind of mess with the tone. Like throwing in superheroes, with no real sense of morals or anything to protect or fight over.