Imperial Guard Regiment Creation Thread

Veeky Forums, I'm bored, and have just finished reading a bunch of Black Company books. Let's make some Guardsmen.
youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I

First thing I'll need is 1d10 to determine our Regiment Classification.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jaIo82uT0qs
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naraka_(Buddhism)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rolled 50 (1d100)

That wasn't a d10, but I'll take it.

We are a PDF force! We're going to have less quality than the Guard, but it also means we're probably going to be a bit less regimented and a bit more weird.

Next I need a d100 for our Regiment Demographic.

Rolled 41 (1d100)

We are largely composed of Abhumans! Be they catgirls or ratlings, ogryn or squats, we've got something weird alrighty.

Next I need a d10 to determine the Nature of our Recruitment practices. Where the hell do we get all these abhumans from?

Rolled 8 (1d10)

Standard conscription huh? I guess we still pick the best and brightest of the Abhumans to fill our ranks.

Now for our Homeworld! Roll d100 for the Home World Type.

Rolled 52 (1d100)

>catgirls
heresy

Death World! We live on a world designed and formulated to murder us dead, but we still survive!

Now we need a d100 for our predominant terrain!

>heresy
But that's the best part!

Rolled 26 (1d100)

Well look at that, my picture last time was prognostic! Our planet is a Desert world, with all manner of horrifying desert predators, deadly sandstorms, and a desperate need of water.

Next roll 1d100 for our Core Units.

Rolled 68 (1d100)

Mechanized Infantry! We have APC's galore, and transport to supplement our fighting forces. The question is, with a desert world like ours what kind of style do we want?

Next, I need a d10 for Specialization.

Rolled 4 (1d10)

Lightning Strike! Like the desert storm we ride, sudden and unstoppable.

What's our Loyalty Rating? Give me a d10.

Also here, have some music this desert-y mess is reminding me of.

Whoops, forgot the music!
youtube.com/watch?v=jaIo82uT0qs

Rolled 6 (1d10)

Undisciplined. We will follow orders, but we won't do it well, and rebellion is in our nature.

Next I'll need 1d100 for our special equipment!

Rolled 48 (1d100)

Damn. Was hoping for exotic mount so we could go full Fremen.

Rare Heavy Weapon! Whatever it is, we've got something that fires the thunder of the gods and rains death upon our foes. We strike like lightning, and like lightning we never strike twice, for there is no need.

Next I'll need a d100 for our Regimental Creed!

Rolled 32 (1d100)

For the Homeworld! We are here to show our chops, and prove to the Imperium at large that our world is strong and worthy of praise.

Alright, next I need a d100 for our Regiment Friends.

Rolled 81 (1d100)

>Rare heavy weapon

Grav-cannons?

Also 1st for desert ogryns

We've got ties to the Imperial Navy, and can probably call in some heavy ordinance if necessary.

Next I'll need 1d100 to figure out our Enemies!

Grav cannons could be cool. I like the idea of desert Ogryn, but I'm not sure if we should make them just vanilla Ogryn, or on the more mutated end, closer to something like Shadowrun Trolls or something.

dice+1d100

Rolled 98 (1d100)

Whoo, some non-standard kind of Xeno! From here we have two options. We can either roll 1d100 to decide what our enemies are, or pick one of the multitude of minor xeno races. I'll leave the choice up to you all, though I'm always partial to the Umbra.

Felinids need more love, I'd be up for an army of desert cats. But I'd be up for something else

What are the Umbra?

Umbra are this crazy race from Xenology, who are basically little flying balls of black stuff. They psychically project horrifying nightmare forms, as in the picture above, look like this when cut apart, are injured by bright lights and sunlight in particular, and MIGHT be the remnants of an Eldar god who's last act was to shatter and imprint its pieces with the command to "LINGER" which is also the horrifying psychic scream they project often.

I think they're cool.

I'm either of the mind of getting us desert cats or weird monstery ogryn. I'm open to any ideas though, those are just the two that came to mind for me.

Whoops, forgot pic.

Yes, let's fight living night mares on a desert death world. And how about maybe we're just. A variety of abhumans, fighting to keep the normal human population alive on a nightmare world.

The human population is small, and the abhumans outnumber them. The abhumans fight day and night to defend them.

The sky's are dark, the land is death, and the shadows move against us. With the those we swore to protect behind us, and the nightmares of a god charging us, we hold faith that the emperor will shine his light on us, his imperfect children.

So here's some great minis someone did.

Alright, so let's recap.
We are a:
>PDF force
>Mostly Abhuman
>Conscript the standard way
>Live on a Desert Death World
>Core units are Mechanized Infantry, lots of Trucks & APC's
>Lightning Strike tactics
>Pretty Undisciplined
>Have a rare Heavy Weapon of some kind
>Creed is "For the Homeworld"
>Friends in the Imperial Navy
>Enemies in the Umbra

So this is just me, but considering the Umbra, I'm thinking this world should be a former Eldar world from before the Fall, covered in sand-swept ruins of cities crumbling into dust.

Also since Umbra are injured by light, what if our heavy weapon was some kind of Solar Cannon, or other such crazy high power laser weapon?

The high powered flash lights idea makes sense.

Also, to make the Umbra a proper enemy, maybe the world is permanently dark? Maybe something is blocking the sun from shining on the planet at all times, making it always night or twilight?

>Solar Cannon

The Sun, a 'Super UV Nova' Cannon?

I imagine it's archaotech, that they've been using to defend the colony since the Umbra arose from the earth Pitch black style

That could be super cool. Maybe the planet, due to weird orbits and some kind of obscuring body is in a state of almost permanent solar eclipse? Dark enough the Umbra can thrive, but with just enough light for our people to see without aid. In fact, that's probably a point in the favor of the abhumans, they could have developed enhanced night vision, which is why they compose most of the PDF.

Frankly, I'm picturing the horrifying bastard child of a military grade spotlight and a lascannon. The kind of shit you scream "LET THERE BE LIGHT" when you fire, and make sure you're wearing welding goggles while doing.

Something like this?

exactly! though depending on the tech I could see some cool lenses or something as part of it.

If only I could be so grossly incandescent.

Also I think if we use big guns then the Ogryns should man them...because the Umbra are really scary, even more than the inside of a Chimera.

Filinids have cat eyes! Meaning they do well in low light conditions and are nocturnal!

Unfortunately when using the Anti-Umbra Weapons this means they must wear exactly two welding masks and a pair of sunglasses to deal with the glare.

>Sunglasses in the dark at all times.

HA!

The Ogyn make up the infantry, wielding light cannons to large for anyone else to use. They are the grave and stupid and enough to fight the nightmares not inside a military vehicle.

The other abhumans almost exlcusivly stay inside vehicles or armor, and the entire army makes sure to strike and counter attack tapidly.

They use all they can to survive

Heh.

What if this PDF has Ogryn Commissars?

People with the dumb bravery to stand against the darkness and force others to do so

Execute you for being a scaredy cat with the Death Stick.

Glorious!

>"We dun't fight them 'cause we want to proivate. We fight them 'cause we got to, 'cause there's no one else who can fight them. We got the Emprah's light in us, an' we gotta use it roight."

Heavily watered down version of the Sun Cannon, pretty much what a lazgun is to a Laz Cannon

I like that. They hold the emperors light within them, and they must use it. Light would play a massive roll in their culture

And an in a complete flip of the reverse the nickname for it is "Las-pointer"

Because if Lasguns get called Flashlights, well...

They use literal flashlights on steroids XD

I could work with that for a rifle version, that up there was more uber light pistol.

Ha!

So what if the Archeo Tech on the Planet is all solar based. Maybe a 'Solar Foundry', with uber solar collectors that can pick up a large enough amount of solar energy on this nearly perpetually dark planet feeding a solar generator which charges the specialized solar cells that power all these Sun Weapons to fight the Umbra?

So far I'm picturing them as living primarily underground, built into mountainsides, using lights to fend off the wandering Umbra. Inside they use hydroponics and careful resource management to survive, and baseline humans usually take up these roles as cultivators and engineers to keep them alive. Those few with Psychic potential are kept hidden, as the screams of the the Umbra to "LINGER" can drive them mad and what few psykers they can keep are important to help divine the light of the Emperor and lead them into a dangerous and unsure future.
As light is a rare thing on their world beyond the perpetual twilight of the Eclipse, they believe that Light is the most sacred form of the Emperor. Is it not the gleaming beacon of the astronimcan that allows the Imperium to live? In the shadow of the ruins of ancient cities filled with the wailing shards of a vanished god, these hardy people hold in them the light of humanity, and a sense of indefatigable purpose.

The must routinely venture out into the Umbra infested surface, to get to the solar foundries to collect the solar cells and power that keeps their guns powered and their people safe. They are fast attack because spending more time then needed on the surface leads to death.

Which is why they are the perfect band to join Inquisitor Edith on her quest to find the Ordo Chronos.

Yes I was there, why'd you let the thread die?

*tear* I tried, but there was nothing I could do.

However, I will never let her memory die.

Edith would love the strength these abhumans show. They are proof of the how powerful humanity in all its forms can be

Why have they been left to fight the Umbra on their own? Have the imperium perhaps abandoned them to their fate, ignoring their cries for help?

I think it might be a combination of an unwillingness to help and an inability to properly help. The Umbra on a world of darkness are insanely strong, and they can't just land their ships anywhere without getting set upon by Umbra, so the amount of force the rest of the imperium can bring on it sans-exterminatus is lessened. At the same time they might have a particularly puritan segmentum command who consider their largely abhuman population to be an eyesore and keep them at the bottom of the list in terms of any requisitions or aid.

This might contribute to their undisciplined demeanor, since they have past issues with higher command.

They only accept the word of the emperor, for the lords and kings that he trusted have betrayed them.

Fuck, we should write this shit up. Like, this is an awesome regiment. It's grim dark enough for 40k, but has ample humanity fuck yeah

Are Imperial Guard Armies sector specific only?

Like, do Kriegers only stay in their planet sector?

I dont think so? PDF are planet based, and then other guardsmen are shuffled around depending on the whims of command. A lot of them would probably stay in-sector for sheer convenience, but it really depends on the command.

They get sent to wherever they're needed. Obviously warp travel takes time and the logistics are pretty tricky when sending someone across the galaxy, so they MOSTLY stay in their sector or nearby, but units that are highly in demand(like Kriegers and Catachan) can be sent pretty much anywhere.

Oh, I see. Thanks my dudes.

I'm picturing it as a cross between The Night Lands and Pitch Black in appearance. The planet itself rotates very slowly with a day/night cycle lasting a week or so. Even when it's daytime the frequent eclipses caused by the planet's multiple moons can see limited Umbra activity during the day and the deep shadows created by the close proximity of the planet to its sun mean that shaded areas are best avoided.

Ogryn enlisted, Felinid officers.

Bullgryn carrying multilasers and backed up by human PDF driving chimeras and laser destroyers.

Tidally locked world with a resource rich night side and habitable twilight zone.

Or

A planet with 7 or so moons that cast many solar eclipses.

Maybe the System has both?

Just caught up with this promising thread, great work anons.

I was thinking, if this world was a maybe a former eldar world as suggests, could some of their light guns include scrapped bright lance parts? Maybe that's what lead them to making their current solar weaponry.
what do you think?

I just wanted to say, I am stealing this idea for my regiment. So as the off world force of our planet I wish you well in defending our home world.

I want to add some history since I want to use this regiment.

The planet was colonised by miners anthropologists and archeologists that we're intent on reaping material gain from the eldar ruins beneath the sand.

During the end of the dark age of humanity and the beginning of the age of strife they we're released.

At some indeterminate date the umbra horde bubbled up from the planets core.

At the time of the great cursade this world had two unique strains of human. One a subrace of nomadic desert people. Presumably desendent from the archeologists and anthropologists. These humans are blessed with inhuman stamina and ability to retain water within their scrawny forms. These people chased the sun and what life this planet had in a perpetual race to stay in the light.

The other abhuman race found on this world is a form of orgyn. Found in the remains of multiple mining colonies that covered this world. These abhuman survived by brute strength alone. Equipped with crude crystalline Spears and daggers made of materials found in the subterranean ruins of this world. These people existed as subsistence farmers that would hold themselves up in the ruins of the colonies each season of darkness.

Also the reason the umbra Excel on this world is the season of darkness.

Due to the planet's large and multiple moons the world is almost tidally locked.
With a seasonal cycle of night and day that approaches the length of a standard Terran year.

That and the moons create unpredictable eclipses that also allow the umbra to bubble forth.

The reason this world is even kept alive now is for crystal mining and production.

These crystals are vitally needed as resources for large laser and Lance weapons.

This has lead to the creation of a forgeworld on the planet's largest moon for the production of ship bound Lance weapons and leman Russ anniliators and laser destroyers for the local subsector.

What do you all think of that?

>What do you all think of that?
I like it!

If the crystals are vital for large laser and lance weaponry then you'd see a far larger military presence on the planet, either IG or AdMech, to ensure supply of the crystals.

Also a would base the cultures of these two abhuman races on the Eskimo and Vikings but desert versions.

So before the great cursade.

The bullgryn lived a hard farming life in small habitable zones in the north and south. Using polar ice water to grow root vegetables in the mountainous remains of human and eldar ruins. Constantly fighting each other for the safest forts, farms and Crystal shard mines.

And the ratling like desert dwellers constantly marching around the equatorial regions chasing and hunting desert creatures for their survival.

The planet is overshadowed by it's moons.

While they both have mining and factorum facilities, they are safer and more profitable.

Only on the planet side can you find truly large gems and crystals but the extreme danger of the umbra make it unprofitable to build larger mining colonies. Thus the abhumans are used as expendable miners(not unlike modern blood diamond mining in Africa today)

You know, we've gotten this far and we really haven't answered two important questions about our abhuman crew here.

What's our name? And similarly, what is the name of our world of eternal night?

You could have that the planet itself is mostly tapped out, the colonies barely getting by with second rate crystals and meager yields. Occasionally they'll still run across large and high quality crystals, but when that happens the powers that be swoop in, cut the locals out, and bail as soon as output drops.

The planet is effectively the middle step child that no one in the system pays much attention to.

It doesn't need to be tapped out. It is just the umbra are to numerous. Beneath the core of the moons and the planet were cores filled with umbra.

The moons we're cleared and made safe but the shear size of the planet's core means you would need a full cursade to make the planet safe and that is not affordable.

I had the idea that the Bullgryns in the PDF are all Bone Eads.

Not sure why, but it seems like a good idea.

What would be a good name for a world where life is either a constantly chasing the sun to escape the nightmares of the twilight or life trapped in forts where in the season of light you must farm as much as you can and find as many shards for Spears and arrows. So that during the long night you and your kin can fight or hide from a unit ending horde of nightmare creatures from the core of the world.

Perhaps we could go with Naraka.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naraka_(Buddhism)

The inhabitants could see the world as punishment for sins against the imperium in a past life, and work to defend and provide in this hell and furfull thier duties in life so they can be reborn in a higher planet or place in life

What's the summary thus far?

This is what we rolled.

Thus far, we've determined that ogryns play a large roll in the army, and are some special breed of them that allow them to live on the world. The planet is almost always stuck in a night cycle or subject to an eclipse that is occasionally interrupted by the sun showing itself.

When it becomes dark, Xenos creatures called Umbra surge from the earth and begin to consume or kill everything in their path, thier psionic screams of "LINGER" driving psykers mad.

The local PDF is almost entirely abhuman, fighting with with weapons that are the bastard child of floodlights and Laz guns to fight against the light sensitive Umbra.

They are left alone to fight against the Umbra, the higher officials of the sector placing the largely Abhuman populated world low on priority, creating an undisciplined force that only serves the emperor. They treat the light as an extension of the emperor's will and love, and cherish all light they can find as they bunker themselves underground or against mountainsides, venturing out in rapid raids to collect energy from the solar foundries and collection facilities to power their weapons and keep fighting

I miss anything guys?

Probably also why the nacy are our friends. They can support us without ever touching down.

"We'll help by selectivly glossing an area."

"Perfect, thanks bros"

"Mini-exterminatus incoming"

Since it's a desert world, and it's supposed to be dark all the time, couldn't we just say that there are constant sandstorms that blot out the sun most/ all of the time? That just seems more likely than having a cluster of moons that manage to eclipse the sun for a year or more at a time

Eeh, but that's less cool than constant solar eclipses. Also sandstorms don't actually blot out that much sun, definitely not enough to make the Umbra a huge threat since sunlight of any kind is painful to them.

I've got a few ideas:
Light Bringers
Light Warriors
Dawn Chasers
Solar Flares
Sun's Champions
Hellions

The Narakan 123rd Torch bearers?

Next up is colors! Do we want white somewhere in there?

White would make sense, representing the light. Would gray or some other dark color as the primary be a good idea? Representing the light within?

Torch bearers is good, I was just throwing shit at the wall.
White with gold trim. Look regal as fuck while going fast and slapping ass