See DoW3 on sale

>see DoW3 on sale
>heard bad things
>what the hell, if I don't like it, I'll just refund it
>buy, download, and start playing
>try out some skirmishes
>power core sucks, but having a lot of fun with annihilation
>let's try out the campaign
>first few missions are typical RTS tutorial stuff, but find myself enjoying the old-school build-and-conquer campaign as it goes on
>actually enjoying a game I thought I'd be lukewarm on at best

I'm genuinely bamboozled Veeky Forums, why is this game getting so much hate? I can understand the crappy launch, but with how people are going on about it, you'd think it was the next Daikatana or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3QSaNCcoSMI
youtube.com/watch?v=gN8geCTlZOo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The game's flavor is shit.

People hate things that are different. Everyone seems to be forgetting how polarizing DoW2 was at launch. The reduction in scale, greater emphasis on squad-based tactics, the gutting of multiplayer, and the RPG campaign did not sit well with many people.

Of course, a few expansions and DLC packs later, people discovered that it's a great game in it's own right. I suspect this will be the case with DoW3 as well.

Marines play like Starcraft marines and have really weird late game synergies that aren't super intuitive and have odd micro

Also the campaign isn't particularly well balanced and eldar suffer from a bizarre power shortage in their late game missions that leads to 10 minute wait times between wave wipes

Orks are fun though and knights play like legit super heavies

I think it's a shit game from start to finish. Most of the characters are dreadful, the combat is samey and boring, the sniper heros are broken as hell. The only thing I liked was Lord-General Castor, but his boss-tier presence is cancelled out by the unshaven pile of edge that is Cyrus.

>why do I hate this thing other people dont

Instead of skimming any of the hundreds of reviews you need to be a special snowflake and post this sad excuse for attention

Fuck right off

>tfw no Dawn of War 3 in the style of Company of Heroes
They went too small with DoW2 and the general mechanics were a bit lacking.

On a similar note; I bought the Space Hulk game from 2013 in the recent Warhammer sale on Steam and it's actually really good. I thought it was a shitty reimagining of the boardgame, but turns out it's actually quite a decent 3d adaptation. Some good times with a friend there.

>They went too small with DoW2
Bullshit, you should not bring more than 50 marines to bear for a bunch of orks in a chapter that's lost 3 companies.

Those crappy little squads sucked. If I could have had 50 Marines on screen then that would have been alright.

It's not like I suggested they do Total War size, but Company of Heroes. The difference isn't massive, but it's there.

If you haven't played it, you should. It's one of the best RTS games of the last decade and probably Relic's finest.

The common reasons are:
>Different VA.
>MOBA influencies.
>Color.
>Three factions at launch.
>Backflipping Termie Angelos.
>Certain elites are more common in fluff and tabletop crunch.
>Gorgutz krumped Vance Stubbs.
Some of those have a point, but the 40K fanbase is known to blew up things out of porpotion, that the average normie would think this is worst than Soulstorm and Command and Conquer 4.

>Some of those have a point, but the 40K fanbase is known to blew up things out of porpotion, that the average normie would think this is worst than Soulstorm and Command and Conquer 4.
That's my opinion as well. It's not like the game's perfect or anything, but it's definitely not the trainwreck the steam reviews would have you believe.

CoH1 or 2?

1 for all time best rts, 2 with spearhead mod for better/newer mechanics. Truesight is a real big thing

>spearhead mod
My nigga

>power core sucks, but having a lot of fun with annihilation

A big complaint people had about DoW3 was that the only skirmish mode was Power Core. Annihilation was added later as a free update.

I never quite understood why the Space Hulk 2013 game got so much flak. I got it during a sale and fell in love with it overnight. Went out and got the actual board game after that.

Because we havent gotten to the inevitable second or third xpac that adds the meme character with the ridiculous accent that everyone loves and spawns a thousand YouTube videos

Enjoy having less than 700 players online, annihilation with a few turrets, 3 races when every game had 4, shitty infantry mechanics, cartoony desings, shitting in the previous games and 0 mod support.

Is that still in production? I thought it was Ebay only now?

I loved both DoW and DoW2 but 3 made me lukewarm on all regards. I prefer single-player though so that's probably why.

Because aspie skyub lords arbitrarily love the old thing and hate the new thing every time theirs a new thing. They all hated DoW2 like six months ago.

If they ever make a DoW4 they'll instantly hate it and love DoW3. They're douchebag idiots.

That Black Templar would have fucking destroyed that Sister in the most brutal way possible for touching his purity seal like that...

Also more like this?

Just make Wargame: 40000 already you fucks. Base building is boring as hell.

they did a re-release to coincide with the game IIRC

At launch it was kind of a buggy boring mess, they've done a lot of revamp since

>"Hello friend Astartes, is that a bolt pistol secured in your assault webbing or are you just grimly satisfied to see a fellow servant of the Emperor?"

>Base building is boring as hell.
You're a fucking pleb, base building can make or break a battle. You can focus on defense and be able to fuck the enemies main battle force while they're at your doorstep and then fucking murder rush them when their force is nearly dead.

You are a gentleman and a scholar and I love you.

The game is divisive among strategy fans because it punishes/prevents rush tactics it's mechanics as well as the RPG/development elements. It probably sits well with 40k fans who aren't huge strategy consumers.

I'm waiting for it to hit 50%

What's wrong with Daikatana

I've got a couple more

I would greatly appreciate them!

It was a game that was hyped to shit and basically heralded as being John Romero's magnum opus that would literally make the player his bitch. Then the game came out and it was shit.

Sure thing famalam

They re-released it sometime back in 2014, which was when I got it. I think GW still sells it directly from their website though?

Would Grey Knights suit your fancy as well?

>"Brother Ecclesias, do you want to slip your holy bolter into my hot prayer antechamber? It has been prepared with the sacred ungeants and lubrications to please it's machine spirits and I am prepared to sire new offspring to offer to the Emperors glorious war machine right now."

>"Heh, no way heretic"

Shouldn't a war game be focuses on the deploying and positioning of units, not arbitrary base building and vespene gas mechanics?

There's nothing inherently wrong with base building, but it's not very 40k. It should be about picking your list and going at it with the enemy, not clicking back and forth and waiting until you have enough of X to build your power units.

And then he cut off her face to wear as a had
Still a better love story than twilight

At least he bought her dinner first

Yes it would! I love pictures like these that depict the nice moments of the Grimdark. I get tired of Salamander being the only prominent nice guy marines.

Roger that

I admit, I am a sucker for this kind of stuff as well.

the space marine bro in Bolter to Kokoro is great

Somewhere there's also fanart of a space marine/ig forward op base with them acting like actual RL marines doing dumb shit with signs like "Do not feed the marines" hung around

I have to find that now.
Also I fucking love Bolter to Kokoro

Because its practically fucking 2d. Everyone was hyped by the trailer then it took aprox ten seconds of gameplay footage for everyone to hate it.

Sequels are supposed to be better. Dow 3 should have been revolutionary and a big deal, it looked bad and does nothing special.

>We call this Maneuver "Master Blaster".

>"I have fortified this position!"

"These puny walls won't stop me! Wait... How did you get the foundation to hold up so much?"

>"Faith in the Emperor! ...and some water mixed with glue!"

In the Grim Darkness of the 41st millennium there is only friendship

I like these

This one seems a little sad though. Kind of like the birthday bear in his lonely cave.

I see what you mean, I'm pretty much just dumping from my 40k image folder though

I bet she's only making fun of the other sister because she has one too and is trying to deflect.

Space Wolves everyone!

>Guardsmen go out and hire some Ork Kommandos to do a panty raid on the local Adeptus Sororitas barracks
>Kommandos not only pull off the raid, they steal ALL of the Sororitas' undergarments (including the ones they were sleeping in) for extra laffs
>Drop it all clothes in the middle of IG barracks and grin at the stunned Guardsmen before walking out
>One of them pokes his head back in and says, "Wez left the sistas a bunch of notes tellin' 'em where they can find their stuff. 'ave fun wid dat 'courting' fing!"

Ha!

HAH! Freaking Zap is Guilly boy

I think I'm about spent here

Thanks, the only other image I've seen like this is the black Templar terminator helping the little girl find her parents whole telling her about some battle. Wish there was more stuff like that, gets really silly watching space Marines just have no regard for human life since they're supposed to protect it.

>d-does he bite?

>A Xenos 3D girl is touching me!
>WRYYYYYYYYYYY REEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think a huge part of it was that people were hoping for a return to DoW1 or a CoH formula, and they got something that had more MOBA influence than expected.

Most of it is probably neckbeards who didn't expect a change in pace, just as they didn't when DoW2 came out and realized they really liked it a few expansions later.

"We made a new kind of chocolate ice cream: double chocolate!"
>ah man that sounds sweet as hell
>why the fuck does this taste like strawberry
"We did it because the original sold so well and we want to appeal to a different audience simultaneously with the old one. But we made it brown so surely you are satisfied?"

No, it's MOBA influence so it'd taste more like raw sewage and be poison

how the fuck is it MOBA if you control a lot of units

Because people don't know what that phrase even means anymore, it's just the new "Thing I don't like" descriptor in videogame shitposting.

alright, i scrolled down in the Steam review and they classify it MOBA because of the buildings you need to destroy before moving on and destroying another in an "arena"-like battlefield - like towers in LoL and DOTA, nevertheless it's still not fucking MOBA

>Reminder that Steam tags can be put be users who can be ignorant in the comcepts they use.
>Implying it will convice retards who follow Arch.

>tfw your reading comprehension is so bad you get the opposite of what was actually written

I think the colours are real nice, but the animay bullshit takes away all the perceived weight of the muhreens.

I remember in DoW2 when you setup your heavy squad, how fucking meaty the sound was and the excitement the scant moments before the bolter started blasting.

N0ice

I can't stand DOW 3 because its gameplay sucks and ignores the fluff.

Each match was just spam guys and throw them at each other in a meat grinder. Space Marines are basically guardsmen. Everything is faceless. Base building only matters for like the first 5 mins. Hero units are the only things that are important. Nothing matches the fluff and the art is terrible. Tons of features removed. What a let down.

Nice strawman you got going there, why not confront your own views and read some reviews who go into detail on why it is flawed?
>Of course, a few expansions and DLC packs later, people discovered that it's a great game in it's own right.
Dude, there are worlds between the gameplay of retribution and vanilla unpatched dow II. By your admission it only got accepted into the fanbase after it was changed.
The Space Hulk game also was rereleased with different mechanics.
However, the problem with the original one was that it had a ridiculous price for just including the handful of missions from the original boardgame without fixing any of its balance problems.
Great analogy to OP
Yeah, somehow it has even less strategy than the 2004 game - and no, this does not mean there is no strategy in it at all, before someone is putting words into my mouth.
Even C&C 4 wasn't as big a fuckup.
It's called a mix of MOBA and RTS.
MOBA because you're destryoing towers in predefined positions before destroying the base as well as a focus on a handful big units which need precise manual action to used properly while you send meatshields in front.
RTS because you're actually controlling the meatshields and position of the very few buildings as well as not having the special characters divided between multiple players but instead controlling multiple ones yourself.
Then again, there people who consider MOBA a subgenre of RTS instead of a genre in its own right...
I played the beta and was suprised how boring it was. It is seriously a top 5 contender for worst RTS multiplayer games in my book.
The color just exemplifies how this game doesn't feel like 40k at all.
Then again, the character models themselves look simply disgusting.
>Space Marines are basically guardsmen.
True.

lel butthurt redditfag xD

youtube.com/watch?v=3QSaNCcoSMI

Jesus christ, this looks terrible, even by wannabe graphic novel standards
The Battlefleet Gothic game as well as that PSP one did that quite well though

Edgy.

it's super bland, desu, but i played through the campaign so I can't refund it

What the hell is that? Did they blow their entire cutscene budget on the announcement cinematic or what?

What a fantastic cinematic it was though, god damn.

youtube.com/watch?v=gN8geCTlZOo

Still low-key salty that DoW3 didn't even give us a "YOU HAV CHAPLAN DIOMEDES."

They do mention Steel Rain if you summon a Deathstorm Drop Pod.