How do you feel about Warlocks?

How do you feel about Warlocks?

Pretty cool if done right, but tend to end up being played as edgy edge lords.

Really fun.

Why?

When done right, a magic user with a focus on warfare, its interesting to me

>I cast eldritch blast again

In DnD 5e they're nearly always Edgelocks. Fiend and Eldritch pacts are pure edgy shit, that goes without saying. These characters are always either done as "muh brooding antihero" types or "muh angsty tragic hero" types.

Fey pacts always seem to be with evil or sinister Fey too, even though they don't have to be. No-one ever seems to want to be a fabulous rose mage gifted with power by the Queen of Roses, or some kind of Barbalock who channels a great Feywild animal spirit. While Fey pacts offer a lot of creative potential in theory, in practice it'll always be the dark faerie aesthetic for those prancing edgelords who think satanic and Lovecraftian themes lack elegance.

I don't even know what to say to someone who unironically believes this. Unless your games are nothing but combat encountrs with the occasional Long rest in between then you have no excuse for being this stupid.

Edgy bullshit that Wizards added to D&D to appeal to the Dark Scrolls crowd and their obsession with being edgelord fucks. Really, started with 3.5, but D&D 4e and 5e kept it going so are equally to blame, and in fact more so for continuing the mistake and PUTTING TIEFLINGS IN THE FUCKING CORE RULEBOOK.

>he doesn't know how to make a non-edgy Tiefling

laughingtieflings.gif

>Dark Scrolls

Warlocks must feel like a real asshole when they find a wizard their own age. I mean to sell your soul for a shortcut to magic just to see another guy using it arguably better with a perfectly in tact soul would be kind of demoralizing

IIRC, the 5E manual mentions that sometimes Warlocks are chosen by their patrons against their will

I'm surprised people don't use that more often.

My current warlock has been mistaken, on multiple occasions in and out of the party, for a paladin.
I think I'm warlocking right.

>implying I give enough of a shit for a race that contributes nothing unique or interesting, to put effort into making it so
Nah. Also quit Redd*t spacing, it's obnoxious as hell.

Cool flavor and interesting RP, if done right.

One of my players is a Warlock whose patron comes from the big Warlock patron compendium on Reddit.

Neither the patron or the player character are evil. The RP has been super fun between him and I. Another cool thing is the flavor of his character. He's a bladelock and his patron has some interesting options for that, which gives the PC this exotic fighting style none of the other PCs have seen before.

I was originally hesitant about it but the in-game results have been really fun.

There's plenty of different ways to say they got their power, but selling your soul will always be the classic one. I mean every monk isn't from a monastery, and every barbarian isn't just some tribal, but they're still the standard assumptions.
Besides that in the case of the warlock it just feels like you're shamelessly avoiding potential downsides to the class if you have their relationship with a patron as something that puts no obligation on the warlock. Like a paladin that doesn't bother having any sort of code or something

It sounds like high potential for edgelord material to me. Unwilling guy forced to do loads of evil shit because demons in my head.

On the other hand, it would be funny if it was a benign Faerie Princess who forced some grizzled old brooder to help out fey kind and gave him some powers to that end. Especially if every time he refused, fairies would pull humiliating pranks on him.

Here's the (You)s you desperately wanted, kiddo

>my opinions are objective facts
>if I don't like someting then it's alright for me to be wrong about it

Nice try, but it's clear to literally everyone that you have no substance.

Cry harder.

:)

I made half orc warlock for 5th ed that was madly in love with his demonic patron. Their theme song was judas priest turbo lover. Made all the funneir because we were faced off against jerith from labrynth.

Play a Tiefling Warlock right now. It doesn't have to be a total edge fest. Enjoyable RP and whatnot. Just need to really lay into the fact that you're a servant of your pact. Willing or unwilling. It can get edgy but only if you're an edgy fag yourself. My group tends towards joking so my Warlock usually is just the darker side of it all.
TL;DR warlocks are fun and don't have to be edgy.

Warlock 1 - Half-Orc gang member who has a fiend tattooed onto his back, his personality is that of a loyal older brother to the party, and will willingly take all the damage to spare others. He and the fiend sometimes fight for control of their body, but only because the fiend doesn't want him to die or he dies too.

Warlock 2 - Feybulous druid who loves the Moon more than anything, made a pact with it so he would never have to sleep and always be able to see her. Was also granted a bow to slay lycanthropes with as they taint the moon's fullness with their transformations. She thicc.

I played a human warlock ex-wizard's apprentice that was essentially a Darth Maul style Sith. I took polearm master and combined it with shillelagh and gfb. and with repelling and agonizing blast being my force pushes, coupled with my references to my "dark master" and "my foolish former teacher" it made a really satisfying character.

What patron?

Sorcerer > Warlock > Wizard

If they pact with Cthulu, roll madness checks

Rolled a warlock for a 4e game coming up, Tiefling.

Haven't entirely hashed it out yet, but probably gonna take one-part Gul'dan and one-part good guy.

A Goo'Dan, I suppose.

GET THE FUCK YOU DIDN'T LEARN REAL MAGIC

They're great for beginners who want to be casters.
Not too much to learn and one main thing they do very well.

>Wizards hate him!
>This smug motherfucker learned magic in just 3 days!
>find out how!

>Be warlock
>Feared across the world for my power and ruthlessness
>My patron gets "redeemed" by some chucklefuck paladin who spewed out some generic "I believe in the goodness of your heart" bullshit, but has a buttload of diplomacy ranks and actually managed to succeed.
>Lose all of my powers and spells now that my patron has cut me off.
>Have to start studying basic fucking cantrips again because I can't cast without the ease of manipulating energies that having a patron gave me.
>People all over still hate me and want me dead

I'm playing one now. he is an elderly librarian who struck a deal with the raven queen to get power so he could adventure in search of new knowledge. probably try same character with seeker next time i play him. took int as highest stat and variant human so i could get all the knowledge check skills.

I think of them as an arcane version of a ranger

If the patron didn't ask you to turn over a new leaf like they did, doesn't that make them kind of a hypocrite?

you can't unsign a contract. the patron could stop giving power, you can't take more levels of warlock, but they can't take something they have already signed over. warlocks aren't clerics. pretty sure the book even states that some warlocks have antagonistic relashionships with their patron.

I love my warlock. I play him as a trickster, he mostly has to talk his way out of trouble, since he is twelve and only has one arm. He accidentally contacted his patron (goo) handling some terribad artifact, and now he needs to find it and sever the connection before the paladin hunting him kills him or the goo drives him insane and uses his broken brain as a portal to the material plane.

Maybe a bit edgy, but awesome role play.

Also smart charismatic child with the ability to brain wash and mind control anybody that gets in his way is creepy and amazing.

Fuck off back to your cornfield

No wait, back to the Village of the Damned

Haha, I've honestly never seen or read either, but i should for some good I inspiration. So far the party mostly just thinks I'm a kid on the run, with a bit of illusion magic under his belt. The spider covered in eyes crawling out of my tear duct last time i failed a *contain the terribad far realms from pouring out* roll has tipped off the cleric. Luckily he's got a soft spot for kids, lost his own before he became a man of the cloth.

I love me the idea of a character who honestly believes they have the better end of the deal in regards to their pact. Maybe an atheist who doesnt care about their soul post death and runs around truly enjoying their newfound abilities. Would make for an interesting moment in character if they are ever exposed to a resurrection spell/fatal experience.

Or is bro~y with their patron. Casual friendship with the underlying acceptance of the fate of the pc's soul

>super intelligent
>edgy patron
>child character
>cripple

Into the fucking trash bin with the other snowflakes

Wonky at 3.5, fixed but also fucked by 4e which gave them vestiges and the Far Realm. No, fuck that noise.