EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Stop Liking What I Don't Like" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What cards so you avoid out of principle? Does it hamstring your deck from its highest potential?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fourth-generation-warcraft/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fire-sale-4/
m.imgur.com/a/MeHzx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Thread question

Pic related. I miss it at times but it doesn't cripple the deck, especially since it's not combo.

>What cards so you avoid out of principle? Does it hamstring your deck from its highest potential?

Anything over $40.

What commander(s) are you running?

Nothing really tends to be off the table unless its either out of my price range or breaks the theme of my deck too hard. I've learned my lesson about gudstuf decks and how unfun they are to play, so I prefer not to just cram as many in as I can. If a card is good for a combo or theme, I'll run it regardless of reputation.

Brago, Arcanis, Rakdos, Angry Omnath, Trostani.

Bumping this

Any particular reason?

Is Arcanis the "draw deck then lab man" variety or wizard tribal? Skipping $40 cards with Brago seems kinda hard.

What are some goodstuff cards you steer clear?

>Thread Question

Pulled a Force of Will from the latest Modern Masters and although I have plenty of blue edh decks it just seems a bit too dickish. Being the counterscrub at the table isn't really my playstyle anyway.

>What cards so you avoid out of principle?
Extra turn cards are masturbatory.

>Is Arcanis the "draw deck then lab man" variety or wizard tribal?
You can run him that way. I just run him as a blue goodstuff general without infinite combos.

Unless they really fit: stuff like Avenger of Zendikar, Craterhoof, most clone cards, Lab Man, etc. One of my early decks was pretty much UG gudstuff+clones and it got really boring to play after the first few games.

Oh cool. He's one of my favorite cards so I always like to see people running him.

Oh, and stuff like

>two for oneing yourself against one opponent and being down two cards against the others is dickish.

It carries a very negative reputation from other formats and it's still a counter when you're tapped out. I can understand why user feels that way even if I don't find it that egregious.

Marath is probably the better card but if you want to run more Naya goodstuff/beatdown Samut is the better option.

>What cards so you avoid out of principle? Does it hamstring your deck from its highest potential?

Any card that prevents other players from playing Magic. "Fun" cards like Possibility Storm, MLD, etc. I also prefer to stay away from any turn 1 mana rock.

>Possibility Storm
Normally I would agree, but it's a key piece to my Mishra deck.

You have other options. Also, you don't play with me, so you can play whatever you want. I suggested it to a local Daretti player, because it seriously helped his deck, but I regret it ever since. I've never had fun playing with Possibility Storm, and why am i playing if I'm not having fun?

I mostly use it because it combos really well with my general and my group doesn't seem to mind it too much. We've had some laughs off it since my friend who plays Animar usually ends up flipping one medium sized creature for a massive one.

insect or wurm tribal when?

>"Chaos" cards except for the fringe scenarios in which they actually synergize with the deck
Pic related is a good example of synergy.

>Pillowfort cards
Again, unless I have a reason--my Karona, False God deck is choc full of them.

>MLD unless it's a win-con
I'm not against MLD, I'm against MLD without a plan. If I've got a deck full of mana-rocks and Avacyn's my Commander, dropping Armageddon in there is fine. If I've got a mono-red deck with nothing but basics, Ruination is a great choice. If I'm just putting it in there to make the game longer, I'm building a bad deck.

>Counterspells
Not really something I "avoid", but unless the deck has a central combo I'm trying to protect I usually keep them to a minimum. And I usually don't build decks around a "central combo" anyway, because I don't like my games to feel samey. So countermagic is kind of de facto avoided.

>Tutors
Kind of the same deal. I'm not against tutors, but I am against samey games, and a ton of tutors will often lead to me just fishing for my game-winning combo and then playing it. I might drop Demonic and Vampiric Tutor in a deck with black in it (they're fantastic cards), but I try not to go too crazy with it.

Does this "hamstring" my decks? I guess so? I suppose it depends on how you define "highest potential". Obviously decks that don't include powerful cards are going to be less powerful. But I don't build my decks just to win, I build my decks to win in ways that are enjoyable to me.

>Wurm tribal
You missed out on that boat when there was no Legendary Wurm in Almond Cat.

>Insect tribal

I got a newbie friend with 0 (zero) (e^i*pi+1) cards but seems very interested in learning magic and commander in particular. He doesn't want to spend more than $100 on a decent deck that is not one made by wizards. Otheer than that he has no preference on playstyle, colors, etc. What should I recommend him?

>>Insect tribal

Help him build an Ezuri, Renegade Leader elf deck.

I imagine one of the precons would be best. It won't be a great deck, but they're designed to be simple, easy to get ahold of (as opposed to buying 100 singles from game stores or online), and relatively cheap.

I mean, he could have better decks, but if he is literally brand-new to the game it's probably best to keep it as simple as possible.

Freyalise Precon. Piss easy to play, has a bunch of Green staples, turns itself into any elf.dek easily.

If you can wait 5-6 hours ill go look over and upload my old slumdog deck, it was less than 90 and could undercut good decks with a key snipe.

can someone explain this to me? I don't see why this card is useful

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fourth-generation-warcraft/

I need your help Veeky Forums. So I realized that I needed some more draw, and therefore, I need to make some cuts. What would you recommend I take out for:

Smothering Abomination
Grim Haruspex
Fecundity

Any other recommendations?

Necropotence is one of the most commonly underrated card for beginners. When it first came out it was ranked as the worst card in the set it was in.

You can pay that one life as many times as you want. If you have 40 life you can pay 39 of it and draw 39 cards, then sculpt your hand however you'd like. Necropotence teaches two things. 1 card is a lot more important than 1 life, and the only point of life that matters is the last one.

>Swarmyard

are the cards for insect tribal any good? like would it be viable or would most other tribes stomp all over it?

If my opponent has 5 artifacts, will I gain 5 life, or 1 life 5 times? And does the same thing happen for cards like Benevolent Offering?

5 life at one

when you put it that way, it makes a lot more sense. there's a lot of cards in magic i don't "get". a week ago i finally learned why channel is a good card.

Endless Cockroaches
Giant Adephage
Gleancrawler
Hornet Queen
Ant Queen
Swarm of Bloodflies
Scute Mob

Lots of decent sac synergy options too, just look up insect subtype on gatherer

Thanks. Played some rounds with him, and as fun as steadily killing Brago is, Samut seems like a better enabler instead of main plan

Its a single trigger, so 5.

That's a shame. Thanks mate.

>yfw you stiffle their t1 fetch
>yfw you ceremonius rejection their t2 sol ring
>yfw they dont draw any more gas for 3 turns and you have already started suspending titans with jhoira

There are two other cards that trade 1 life for 1 card, Yawgmoth's Bargain and Griselbrand. The reason that Necro's legal and those two aren't is that Necro needs you to wait for the end phase.

>we roll dice to see who goes first
>I go last
>first player goes "scorching desert, target user, pass"
>I'm absolutely stunned
>I go down to 39 life before it's even my turn
>he doesn't even apologize
I haven't even had one turn, so it was impossible for me to interact with the trigger. If he let me just play one island I could have stifled the trigger and still been at 40 life. Instead he targets me out of pure spite. We all talked about it and it was pretty clear that he only wanted me to be at 39 life so that I wouldn't win. He was going all on about how he is perfectly allowed to scorch me, but he didn't even think for a second about how I felt about it. It would have been infinitely preferable if he gave me just one turn to get up stifle mana or find a way to gain some life. Instead he tries to act like just because the game lets him do something that its ok and my feelings don't matter. We all agreed that targeting me was unnecessarily spiteful considering he had another land in hand he could play, or he could have mulliganed to a hand that had less hateful cards. We all agreed to just play as if I was at 40.

What I don't get is how people like him think its a good idea to play like that with regular playgroups. You know that by hitting me with scorching desert, it's just going to make me bring out my five color stonerain.dek and completely remove his ability to play next game. Since then we have houseruled that you're not allowed to hurt others players if they don't have a way to interact with it. Our players that have some social awareness and aren't completely autistic have all agreed with this rule and it has done a great job of weeding out the players that have offensive personality traits, such as having skin any thicker than plastic food wrap.

Yeah, considering how important the life total is to whether or not you're still in the game, it's understandable why, to newer players, it's not intuitive that life is a highly effective resource, especially in EDH.

I'll never forget the looks on my 5-man pod's faces when I dropped Necropotence and paid 20 right off the bat like it was nothing. Man was that was a learning experience for the lot of them.

thinking of life as a resource is a bizarrely high wall for starting players to get over
I remember getting back into the game in RtR and opening a Shock Land and saying "why are these so expensive? just use a guildgate lol"

new player here. if anybody wants to review my deck i will let you download and keep this picture of a ten dollar bill.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fire-sale-4/

i feel like it needs more card draw and less counterspells. i want it to be fun and somewhat powerful but a bit different than a normal blue deck. i went towards artifacts instead of instants/sorceries as is more common.

Volcano hellion (its a worm) + hornets nest

Pic related

The "exiling from discard" is also pretty brutal since it not only forces the exile on your excess cards from Necro, but it also hinders that option for enabling graveyard combo.

>Blood Moon in a multi color deck

>bragging about winning the die roll

It can be okay in a green deck when you can fetch your basics, or if you're running two colors and your opponents are running three, four, or five. In Arjun it's not great.

first for "strict merfolk tribal needs more late game support"

>Thread Question:
Counterspells. I do enough mean things and I don't want to play blue

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord

I really don't see the appeal of Arjun. It doesn't seem like you really gain anything from his ability and only succeed in disrupting yourself

i literally just had an empty spot and didn't know what else to put in. a lot of the people i play with run nothing but non-basics and so i thought it would help give the deck a fighting chance against fancier tech. especially since 6 of my 8 non-basic lands tap for red anyways.

i'm fine dropping it though. i'm open to any suggestions. i realize the trap cards are goofy jank too.

unless you can go infinite extra turns to end the game.
but i agree that taking extra turns is a great way to get people to hate you

Dack Fayden fits into an artifact theme and supplies descent card draw

i love it.

-1 Blood Moon. +1 Dack Fayden.

How highly do you rate discard versus card draw? Do you believe that in a 4 man game making each opponent discard a card is better than, worse than, or equal to just drawing a card? What about just making one opponent discard 3 cards?

If they are not equal, at which point do they become equal and why?

Was fiddling with a deck and took out some discard elements for draw, was wondering what others thought.

on another planeswalker note, Daretti, Scrap Savant can do a lot of nice shenanigans with artifacts and recursion

Discarding is much weaker than drawing. The only possible exception is in something like Nath when you have an advantage to discarding, but even then draw is still heavily favored, for the simple reason that when you draw you are gaining access to more of your deck, while when opponents discard they aren't always losing access. Imagine forcing Karador to discard. You've just helped him out.

Craterhoof should be fucking banned.

A good rule to use is that if something gives your opponent choices in the final effect, is almost always a weak effect. So effects that let your opponent discard a card of their choice is much much worse than yourself getting to draw a card because it's very likely that someone will have a card in their hand that they can toss with few qualms like an extra land.
An argument can be made for targeted discard like thoughtseize where you get to look at their hand and get rid of the card that is the biggest threat to you

Yea you love hoof daddy.

If discard doesnt win I dont use it in my strategies. Helm of the ghastlord flashed onto nekusar is one of the only discards I play other than elder mastery when Im being a troll.

IDK if this is the right place to post it but I wanted to show yall what I made using some Chinese proxies

Literally why? What your saying right now is "Hey, my opponent built up a board full of mana and creatures and shouldn't be allowed to try and win". Even if you don't shut someone down from having a shitton of creatures in play, you still have instant speed options like counterspell, fogs, wraths and shit that stops etbs.

Craterhoof is an exemplar of what most people in this format try to promote. You are just coming across as a salty combo/control player that sucks at the game.

you put some fake cards in a frame, not sure why anybody should care. It would be an interesting thing to have if they were genuine but there isn't exactly anything impressive about printing out a Picasso from google images and taping it to my wall.

Hey. Poor people need decor too.

I feel the opposite. Infinite turns to win the game suck because I usually have to sit there and let you resolve everything. Sage of hours lock prevents this because it's one card, but narset is a stupid cunt

I don't mind a time warp for an extra turn to put you ahead tho

Mostly I just don't want to come across as showing off my valuable card. That, I guess, is the most dickish thing about it.

It's also a hard counter for zero mana, so there's that.

>Literally why? What your saying right now is "Hey, my opponent built up a board full of mana and creatures and shouldn't be allowed to try and win".

That is exactly the whole format, you should be able to sit there doing nothing till you can tutor your combo pieces and win from no board state, its like you have never played edh

Looks great! Perfect for all the lies you'll be telling for the rest of your pathetic life. Keep up that sham!

You should have used something to line them up better, they're just kinda floating in that frame.

If that were the case I would much prefer getting prints of card art that I really liked

tbf , that's the best place for chink fakes because no one will take a loupe to his den decor

>Jewgic: the Jewening
>$100
>expensive
Shit nigga I just shot pepsi out my nose

I mean. Its an ok piece of decor I guess. Not like your playing with them (Not that I would care if you did but W/E).

Its a bit like having a replica firearm or a reproduction piece of art for your wall.

>inb4 no legendary rigger

Hi modern general

Does anyone know what this means?

Mono Red riggers are the secret 5th C2017 deck

>plot twist
The picture frames are his card sleeves

Also, squirrel tribal can be a thing now.

what are we looking at here?

You should come back in and whine some more.

Riggers seem to be Gruul, if nothing else.

>Contraptions won't be in black border
Goddamnit Maro, you promised!

>making a discord to talk about stuff that we talk about in the general
For what purpose? Is it just a round-about way to namefag? What's the reason for making another discussion platform when we have one right here?

>squirrel tribal
Science has gone too far.

>squirrels and riggers official consigned to silver border status

I feel the numbing embrace of death washing over me. I no longer have the will to fight it.

m.imgur.com/a/MeHzx

don't worry guys i got you covered

Keeps discussion going between threads, you normally get quicker and more thorough response for deck help, and you can organize online games much more easily.

Inb4 "you can do all that here stop liking what I don't reeeee"

He DID say that he considered contraptions in silver border would fulfill his promise.