Why the fuck do these exist?

why the fuck do these exist?

They ran out of miniatures.
That's the actual reason.

In my setting they're shaped like platonic solids and spheres.
Monodrone = sphere
Duodrone = tetrahedron
Tridrone = cube
Quadrone = octahedron
Pentradrone = isosahedron

is it so you can use dice as their miniatures? honest question.

c They were all random crap on hand.

It's because spheres and platonic solids have a sense of order and symmetry that official modrons like the one in the OP don't. The dice thing is just a cute bonus.

Source on that pic?

It's a Modron, a D&D monster from the plane of Mechanus. There's always a precise amount of each type in the plane and are renewed immediately

To moderate lesser Modrons and receive orders from higher tier ones.

I meant I want to know who the artist is.

Then reverse image search it.

Consider this: They're one of the few D&D monsters who can't be turned into cute monster girls.

>implying

Prove me wrong.

If that one user can make them look like murder terminators while still keeping their theme I'm sure someone could make them "kawaii uguu".

Challenge accepted

>To moderate lesser Modrons and receive orders from higher tier ones.
I came in here to post this.

Modrons are cute. Still afraid of including them due the fact that players will probably tell me to shove the dice up my ass for torturing them with long ass negotiations with them

I had my players encounter a group of Modrons hunting for a rogue Warforged in my campaign. The drones had become scattered and were trying to regroup but couldn't communicate effectively with the locals. I wanted to play with the idea of modrons across tiers not being able to communicate except for the direct superiors and inferiors somehow and came up with a simple system. The idea I came up with was that I would only use phrases with the same number of words as the tier of the modron. Monodrones say single words only, Duodrones use two word phrases, so on and so forth.

It was a little awkward to do on the fly but it was fun to see my players trying to figure out how to talk to the different modron types when drones get confused by anything that is two words out from their own speaking pattern.

>The idea I came up with was that I would only use phrases with the same number of words as the tier of the modron. Monodrones say single words only, Duodrones use two word phrases, so on and so forth.
>It was a little awkward to do on the fly but it was fun to see my players trying to figure out how to talk to the different modron types when drones get confused by anything that is two words out from their own speaking pattern.

how fast do they have to talk among each other to convey complex ideas and concepts?

yeah long negotiations that are for the sake of COMMUNICATION instead of getting something are torture.

It's common for monsters in CoC to have unnatural biology that makes players ask how they can exist at all.

Wait, they're from WHAT

Well, the lower drones are a bit too stupid for that.

Monodrones can only comprehend one thing at a time, Duodrones two, Tridrones nine, etc iirc.

So a Duodrone tells a Monodrone to march somewhere, it points north and says "go march" and the Monodrone marches until a Duodrone tells them to stop. If it's questioned, it would just say "March!"

Messenger Monodrones typically carry messages on notes, or on memory crystals. They're told "go [location]" and go to the place to wait. While doing so they have no comprehension of the fact they're carrying a message, and wouldn't be able to read it anyway.

I wouldn't have asked if I hadn't tried that already.

so mono drones are stupider than real life drones?

also wouldn't they constantly be losing track of monodrones that got out of earshot?

To give the plane of Lawful Neutrality an interesting and memorable race.

Oh naturally. That's why so many die on the great modron march.

But dead Monodrones quickly get reborn from the energy pool back on Mechanus, so it's not too much of a loss.

>>so mono drones are stupider than real life drones?
Yes, when ordered to attack they just randomly attack everything, including their own kind. the higher level modrons are used for more articulated tasks. Very lawful and orderly

what are monodrones actually MEANT to be used for then since they obviously aren't meant to be kept or used in most environments.

The most menial of tasks. They have a duodrone that supervises them, which in term has tridrones supervising them, which in turn has quadrones supervising them, etc. Sure, you could use a quadrone for a very simple task like carrying something around, but it is better to delegate it down to a lower tier, which in turn either delegates it further down, or incase the lower tier couldnt understand it, do it themselves. That way everyone performs according to the top of their capabilities.

>Much better question
Why the fuck to bugbears exists when there are orcs?

Basic tasks.

Tell them to build and the Monodrone will continue to build until they run out of materials, die, or get told to stop by a Duodrone.

For childrens entertainment.

>Are you ready kids?
>I said, are you ready?

>Who lives on cogwheel on Mechanus?
>Nordom Cube-pants!
>Whose mental functions are barely concious?
>Nordom Cube-pants!

>If Lawful adventures are what you want
>Nordom Cube-pants!
>Then strap yourself in to watch his fun jaunt!
>Nordom Cube-pants!

>Nordom Cube-pants!
>Nordom Cube-pants!
>Nordom Cube-pants!
>Nordom Cube-pants!

If they were told "build functional castle" what would happen?

Too complex, you'd probably have to tell a tridrone to do it, and then it would direct duodrones to do various sections and rooms, while they get the monodrones to do the actual work.

>Too complex
So would they not even attempt it?

They probably wouldn't understand. The monodrones would build, such as bricklayers making walls, but they wouldn't think of things like stopping, or turning, or avoiding crushing villages.

They only listen to (or even acknowledge) duodrones, and a duodone would never tell them that.
Well, they might by mistake. But they'd go rogue for it. Which would promote the misapplied modron.

But for the sake of your hypothetical, they'd probably simplify the end result or never get around to doing certain parts.

Fuckin' screenshotted.

Because TSR had to make a special plane for every afterlife, which meant they had to make a special "Angel" for each plane, which meant they had to make a species of Lawful Neutral (Stupid) Angels and ultra-symmetrical stupidly-logical computer-brains was their best idea.

Not really. Shit like guardinials and eladrin were 2e, there's one of the lower planes without a fiend type, and some of the neutral planes also miss them out.

This is fucking great!
Stealing this ASAP

Making the ultimate lawful creatures based on 3d figures isnt weird. They arent some afterthought. They are hightly organised lawful creatures