One-gender race

>One-gender race

How does that even work ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_whiptail
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klepton
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZW_sex-determination_system
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynandromorphism
theguardian.com/science/grrlscientist/2014/jan/31/grrlscientist-halfsider-chimera-bilateral-gynandromorph-birds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The asari from Mass Effect did it. They have sex with everyone and end up just taking some genetic material and that's all they need.

There's also some real microorganisms that reproduce asexual and don't really do gender. Maybe make big sentient versions of them.

You could also have a race that construct their offspring, so gender wouldn't be necessary there.

by having mixed communities where the races benefit from eachother

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_whiptail
Nature is weird.

By not. Viera aren't mono-gendered.

The only other way to do it is with an androgynous asexual species.

Asari literally only exist because of the blue space babes trope since the original mass effect was a homage to star trek and star wars before being ground into so much soulless dust.

Like frogs or cuttle fish, one member of the single gender community becomes male to impregnate as many females as possible then goes back to being female.

Maybe it's a eusocial species of clones. The queen lays a fuckload of eggs, which then hatch and mutate over their collective lifetimes to deal with or overcome the rigors of their local environment.Every so often, the queen either births or selects a "Scout" to leave the hive and create a new one, complete with a retinue of "old guard" to protect/ provide for her as she lays another fuckload of eggs. Tl:dr Bees that mutate evee style.

Wraethnu

reported

Asexually

Aw man, why?

Is joke. I kid.

Sexual dimorphism is one means of producing genetic diversity by requiring half your offspring's genetics come from another party. This does not preclude other methods of generating diversity, or reproduction without any additional diversity at all.

screw you guys this is gold.

All creatures are born male and become female when they grow to adult size.

So the species has a hard cutoff for mating. Is it a gradual thing like puberty, or do they pupate?

*Hugs you*

So pretty much this ?

But who fertilizes the eggs?

fuck.

eggs can fertilize themselves, it just means less genetic variety

Man has always dreamed of fertilizing the stars.

Not an egg/ sperm zygote per se, more a bunch of direct copies of the original progenitor, with all the mutations she acquired over her lifetime.

Several ways, apparently:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klepton

through dick, unity

through unity, strength. And more dick

Assuming the race doesn't produce asexually, you could just have them function like a parasyte, injecting their young into other species to serve as host, host death at birth is optional.

If species is all male and has similar sex organs to humans (or other target species) you could have them mate "normally" with a human (or other target species) female and provide sperm with a mostly human genome, simply replace the X/Y chromosome with a Z chromosome, creating your monosex species offspring.

If all female repeat above with human (other target) male, but fertilization only occurs with sperm bearing X chromosomes, Y chromosome offspring fail to duplicate due to incompatibility with chromosome Q.

By masturbating before posting.
The child born is always female

I kinda like the slime idea. Slimes just bud off parts of themselves and merge them with others' buds. This creates the "genetic" diversity (even if it's magic and not genes).

The gods did this fuckery!

That is pretty much the only way. Or you could say "its magic" idunno.

But I do have this race of spider people in my game where the players only meet the males, as they are the only one who leaves their continent (australia). That's because they are much...friendlier than the females and the females are about four times their size.

All female species exist in reality you know

No I don't know.
But that's like, some fleas and plankton, right?

see

i know this isn't what you meant, but how about a species that has almost no sexual dimorphism or secondary sex characteristics? so they might technically be "male" "female" or some other genetic distribution, but not have any social norms for gender or gender roles.

Snails are like this. Also some worms.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klepton
but it says here they use the "presence of the male sperm" to make clonal offspring.

There are male viera it's just we don't see them and they live in their own villages

A created biological race that is practically immortal (very long lived). They are mules (cannot breed) and can die from injuries but otherwise don't get old or get diseases. Someone made 1 billion of them and that's it. They can't increase in number.

Viera aren't one-gender, the males live in a separate village in another woods. They meet up once every few decades or so to mate. When you species lives for centuries then it's a viable option, Fran looks young but she's at least 50.

if there's only one sex does it mean a species is sexless?

forgot pic

Parthenogenesis is a thing. Eukaryotes reproduce asexually all the time, and we just aren't paying enough attention, because honestly, why does your average person care how fungi, plants, and small animals are fucking?

You're looking at the wrong link. The whiptail uses parthenogenesis, which reqires no sperm.

Besides, kleptogenesis doesn't even use sperm from the same species, so it technically qualifies too. And it doesn't always result in clonal offspring either.

>You're looking at the wrong link
oh wow I am double retarded.
This mexican lizard is the only one that does this?

No, there's plenty of lizards that do it and some crocs, I think

Komodo. Dragons.

Sex is defined by the production of eggs or sperm. A single sexed species could be all female or hermaphrodites. Sperm is too shit to divide on it's own though, so no all male species.

Lizards are weird.
But they can also do shit like regenerate.
Now there are some interesting traits for a D&D race.

You cant really justify it for humanoid mammals though, eh?

I imagined male vieras to be way more savage and feral, definitely not wearing armor and carrying spears

Why?

Lizards and birds don't have X and Y chromosomes, they have their own system that is based on the conditions the egg was in. Which is why there are cases when, say, a bird is male on the left and female on the right

For mammals... no, can't really happen. Though in sci-fi you could have a multitude of ways sexes are determined and in fantasy reality itself sometimes works differently

spear and armour is pretty savage, bruh

> You could also have a race that construct their offspring, so gender wouldn't be necessary there.

Dude, dude.

Imagine a race of Frankensteins-like being. That would be dope.

You might trigger someone with that kinda language.

Sounds like an ass-pull on SE's part considering you never see male Viera in any game that has Viera in it. Unless the dudes are kept in even greater seclusion and only for sexual.

>Which is why there are cases when, say, a bird is male on the left and female on the right
FUCKING WHAT!?
Tell me more please!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZW_sex-determination_system

I don't know why but I feel like my world view is shattered.

Also this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynandromorphism
And this: theguardian.com/science/grrlscientist/2014/jan/31/grrlscientist-halfsider-chimera-bilateral-gynandromorph-birds

According to info from FFXII, male Viera don't interact with the outside world and basically act like 'GET OUT OF OUR FOREST HUMES REEEEEEEEEEEEE" warrior Wood Elves, so no one goes near them.

It was an interesting concept I guess
in a "almost animal, raised by wolves" kind of way

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if the article in the guardian doesn't try to make some stupid social justice point using a mechanism that doesn't apply to humans to begin with, I haven't read this particular one, it's just the first one I found now. But it should describe the mechanics of gynandromorphism

It doesn't. Gender is only meaningful as a means of oppositional differentiation; if you have only one gender, you effectively have no gender.

The world is crazy, yo.

Boom dee yadah

Sharks can reproduce asexually as well.

nice feet

reading this thread makes your average generic scifi setting's clone/hive species seem lame

Jesus christ!

How scared will you be when you learn that sharks near Greenland live up to being, at least, 400 years old? Though their sexual maturity is also at like 150

Male Viera get brought up a bit in Revenant Wings.

humans get cancer in a few decades. how does a 400 year old shark survive these things after eating so many animals

No idea. They have a really slow metabolism, might help

Race always lays offspring in sets of 2, one Female and one male which has a severely reduced Lifespan reaches maturity quicker and die shortly after doing the deed with one or multiple Females. So the Males are only Breeding stock and not a part of their society based on their lack of Lifespan and/or Sentience.
Or just one big Female getting all the boys like Bee's

while technically not one-gendered it would be a one gendered Society

Slow metabolism, and being aquatic, they're shielded from the majority of oxidizing radiation.

Though, they do get cancer. Though, he's retarded about the 150 sexual maturity thing.

There is a species of jellyfish that is effectively immortal though. They revert to their childhood state and then remature.

Their biology is a lot more simple and they get much less exposure to things that can damage their DNA structure.

>masturbating before posting
I'm not losing challenge of 80+ days over Veeky Forums, thank you very much.

I did read that the contents of a shark's stomach once included a fucking knight.
well, bits of him.

Poor Sir Sharkchow

Well, yeah, I've read of a whale swallowing some religious nutjob once. He was so hard to stomach it regurgitated him back again.

Hermaphroditism.
It's also what I prefer monstergirls as as opposed to just raping males, as futa monstergirls raping each other especially after fighting over who gets to fuck the other is pretty hot

their was also one turtle they pulled out of a, I think is was the Mississippi, that had a musket ball dated to 200+ years ago lodged in its shell.

So unless some one was shooting antiques at turtles for shits that thing is fucking ancient.

They need humans to reproduce simple as that

You're a fag

no u

He's right though, futafags are closeted homos.

>implying you're not him
>implying futa is gay
:^)

sounds like the khepri of bas-lag, females are humanoids with insect heads and the males are just big bugs and barely sapient

There could be a system where if the egg is fertilised by a sperm carrying the Y chromosome, the zygote doesn't/can't stay alive. Maybe like a virus that attacks the Y chromosome.

>Posting MGE
>Not posting a heavily censored cover of Zettai Reido

Reminds me of that Oglaf comic.

How the fuck's that Riverbow supposed to work, you're never going to get that sawblade spinning fast enough like that.

Parthenogenesis (females who reproduce asexually), see some lizard species. If you're worried about evolution, couple it with RNA editing instead of our usual method, the thing that allows things like octopodes to edit their genetic structure in small ways over a couple generations or even within a single organism's lifetime.

Alternatively, if you're in fantasy/high sci-fi, you might have races that reproduce using magic/technology instead of organically, and they've either got no gender or their species has whittled down to a single gender for whatever reason (Voght the Victorious doesn't let his worshippers be or affiliate with women, so he taught them a ritual to birth new men from the ground or some shit).

Viera have males, devs just were too insecure to add them in.

Or they thought fanbase was too insecure, which is more likely explanation

Not if the sperm is a Minotaur's.

>hermaphrodite race/species
>foreplay consists of wrestling
>the winner impregnates the loser
>winners get more offspring and spread their genes more while losers aren't left behind

the blade is brought to speed before launching. it's one of the only effective weapons against the cactacae due to their fibrous structure.

Just imagine an interstellar Empire living by this creed.

Perfect.

Brought to speed how? I don't think they have industrial quality ball bearings in there.

there's a motor in it, I guess? it's a steampunk-y setting with weird magic and these are just fan drawings