/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Thunderbolts on a Thunderbolt, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-07-20 - Still getting worked on & now has 14085 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-07-19!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

modelers-g.jp/modules/xsns/?p=mypage&uid=22192
mega.nz/#!O0VEhI7K!LduSf777YJpiPhKTC6i7R5apJbwEfolUsoVU2FaWH1E
mega.nz/#!StEiVbiB!DeN4fo8JYXv9j7_WTqzhb3sjBAGDG1p_9Hy69yxUce0
mega.nz/#!qsNnnYwT!t7tQyXicINf0OCxilbDorvuOJL4axlVqBl3VMdItHfI
dockets.justia.com/docket/washington/wawdce/2:2017cv00327/242820
blog.livedoor.jp/nucolina/archives/cat_414784.html
pacermonitor.com/public/case/20755327/Harmony_Gold_USA,_Inc_v_Harebrained_Schemes_LLC_et_al
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_judgment
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whats BTG's thoughts on A Time of War?

Been looking at running a session on Saturdays UTC-0 any interest from BTG?

Broadly, it's felt to be more mechanically consistent than MW3, ironing out some of that edition's bad spots, but is just overall very very crunchy and also quite lethal, which means you have to be of a very specific type of (inclreasingly rare) roleplayer to enjoy it. Character creation can be particularity time consuming, unless you use the variant method (which works fine, to be fair).

>1) WAAC. Win At All Costs
To be honest all games have those guys and they will bend the rules if it gives them an edge, especially against new players and are eternally butthurt when called on their BS.

>2) You cant do that its not cannon
That one I agree, BT has major issue with players like that, even seen that kinda behaviour on the thread aswell, especially if Periphrery and better mechs are mentioned in same time. Personally I don't mind telling small stories in as Era as long as the major events stay sameish ie winner stays the same, it's Inner Sphere is after all a big place where all sorts of things can happen.

i havent had more than a couple of sessions in it, but most of the people ive played with are old school DnD types.

Not sure what you mean by variant method, i have chargen down though, can get a character out fairly quickly though theyre probably not the most optimal builds

>and also quite lethal

Yeah. Just a simple reading of the rules pretty much tells you you want to do things like avoid gunfire at all bloody costs.

Squichy humans are squishy.

Why post the unfinished WIP?

Anyway, that guy's work is godly.

>I'd have clearer answers if more MWO mechs from Macross came out.

Go to dockets.justicia.com. Search for harmony gold as a party.

Took me a while to find it, but wow, this guy is good. Just saw his Roundfacer / Griffin. This guy rocks.

Would you guys say the Vindicator is the T-34 of battlemechs?

Also, is the Confederation *the* statist faction? I recently reread Starship Troopers and the whole "service for citizenship" schtick has me wanting to play statist for atmosphere.

Is Liao the most authoritarian and Marik the most libertarian?

When I think of the T-34 I think "ahead of its time and quite good", so no, I definitely wouldn't place the Vindi in that category; the only thing it shares there is the mass-production aspect, but then again, so does a Sherman. I'd say it's more of a Panzer IV.

Yes, I think I'd agree that the Confederation is the most statist.

In terms of federal structure, Marik is the loosest. I don't think any of the states can be called libertarian by any stretch of the imagination. Also, each world tends to be run a bit differently, especially in Steiner, Davion, and Marik space, so you could have a more libertarian government in one of those, though they still have render unto Caesar at the House level.

>"ahead of its time and quite good"

T-34 was ahead of it's time in some respects... yes. But its ergonomics were utter crap, especially in terms of escaping the vehicle and crew visibility. That and a 2-man turret...

That he does.

>Took me a while to find it.
I don't see how it could be a problem finding it, but w/e, here's a link to his works:
modelers-g.jp/modules/xsns/?p=mypage&uid=22192

Click on the picture of a project to get the shots from multiple angles and a little write-up on it.

Absolutely. But when you've got that much armour and gun, and yet can still operate in Russian terrain...

Only reason the armor is considered any good is the sloped armor. The Christie suspension takes up so much internal space, when combined with the heavily sloped armor, that there isn't actually much room left inside the tank for anything useful.

>But its ergonomics were utter crap, especially in terms of escaping the vehicle and crew visibility. That and a 2-man turret...

Tradeoffs and no designer can be a sage.
The tank defeated the nazi warmachine, crushed Tigers, pushed the German engineers to design new tanks on short order to beat it.

It has many flaws, but it's still an amazing machine worthy of respect.

I wouldn't go that far, but it was certainly a 'good enough' tank when the Soviets needed one. Once they managed to actually locate their remaining brain-cells and unfuck themselves enough to use them properly.

Nice Flames of War thread you got here, faggots

>I wouldn't go that far, but it was certainly a 'good enough' tank when the Soviets needed one.

It fucked up Panzer 3, Panzer 4 and Tigers.
You couldn't ask more of a tank in WW2.

>But it was shitty for crews.
Newsflash, user. This was total war, people will die by the droves no matter if you equip them with airsoft guns or put them into giant robots. There are always more willing patriots to jump into the leftover tank once the original crew gets scraped off. They'd even actively kill themselves if denied military service.

That's like saying the only reason the gun is so good is because it's big and has a decent velocity. The fact is, it was good. The trade-offs were worth it for 1941. Too bad they didn't have a tank doctrine worth a damn at the time to properly take advantage of it (well, that, and all their officers being Yezhoved).

>They'd even actively kill themselves if denied military service.
Some did, yes. I would point out that others actively maimed themselves to avoid serving.

Has the Battlemech Manual PDF been shared yet?

The foreward from the new Succession Wars TRO.

>Roshak

FALCON ILCLAN CONFIRMED

SUCK IT WOLVES

>roshak

Cockfalcons? In my Terra?

It may be more common than you think.

Beats Loremaster Tsen communicating with ilKhan Jorgenssen, I guess.

mind to share the whole book?
I was going to buy it, maybe I'll buy the missing TtS and everyone be happy

Eh, all the Wolf stuff struck me as being too obvious for them to follow through on*, especially given their depleted strength and the situation they're in. Being less popular than the Falcons and Bears and with no writing staff on their side doesn't help either.

I guess we'll see sometime next year, because I'll eat my hat if they manage to get ilClan out this year.

*Like the obvious suspect in a police procedural before the inevitable third act TWEEST.

I won't even lie: if the ultimate outcome of Malvina being an utter sociopathic bitch is that the Falcons become ilClan, I'll laugh my ass off and then blame Herb for not letting people have nice things. The LAST thing Malvina's Falcons deserve is Terra.

How's the filming going? What fresh disaster has been wrought upon you so far?

don't rule out those Falcons opposing Malvina. Also, 2nd SW mentions a Gunslinger whose name comes from Widowmakers and absorbed by Wolf. Maybe the ilClan is a huge amalgamation of clans

Or it could be Alaric as IlKhan with Malvina as SaKhan. Nothing could possibly go wrong there, right?

Nothing. It's been great. Good crew, competent people, actors who are willing to learn and not be divas, and we're 95% of the way through the hard stuff and no injuries whatsoever. I still have to be out here for another week to supervise the second unit, so the only thing that's really wrong is that the first and second unit are filling 150 miles away from each other and I have to drive with a production assistant who constantly smells like ass and who is scared to go more than 45 mph on a 60mph road. Pic related as of *right now*.

>Maybe the ilClan is a huge amalgamation of clans
Yeah, I kind of think some shenanigans might happen because otherwise it feels almost too obvious dropping this as they are.

nope, wrong link
Iron Land

Mizar
mega.nz/#!StEiVbiB!DeN4fo8JYXv9j7_WTqzhb3sjBAGDG1p_9Hy69yxUce0

Old Kentucky
mega.nz/#!qsNnnYwT!t7tQyXicINf0OCxilbDorvuOJL4axlVqBl3VMdItHfI

Whoever posted these TtS thanks.

I won't be hypocritical and ask that my book not be shared here, when I haven't made the same request of the rest of CGL's catalogue. I'd prefer that it wasn't, but if it is, I hope many of you will put your $10 where your mouth is and still buy a copy if you think it's quality work, thus helping keep myself, CA, Muninn, and secret user in hookers and blow. Thanks again for helping me with making it a damn fine book.

Get on the IRC and help me divvy up these Clanner hookers, otherwise 3A will steal them.

That's not even close to what I said. I wasn't making any comments about grognards or old hardheads holding onto things. Minis looking like ass is endemic of all boardgames of this scale, which is why Warhansa is getting highly noticed now.

The WAAC mentality is what lead to nukes becoming an acceptable gameplay mechanic.

>The WAAC mentality is what lead to nukes becoming an acceptable gameplay mechanic

Who's actually using nukes in a pick up or a competitive game? /BTG talks about them all the time because they're funny and for scenario play, not to win a balanced game. Who the fuck near you is pulling out nukes without the consent of both players?

You talking about BMM? I plan on buying a hard copy myself if I can.

you are not to blame for CGL fuck-ups, but it is getting harder to spend money in their products. I hope we start seeing products being released now

I start buying when the plot constipation ends, simple as that.

If a game doesn't have at least 50 pages of detailed character generation and the ability to TPK at a whim, it is at best a second-line game.

Player asking about Capellan mechs before here again.

what are the best pre-Xin Sheng Capellan mechs?

I got into the game via the vidya games, then read some online books, so I'm kinda going backwards into the tabletop game.

god damn it

dockets.justia.com/docket/washington/wawdce/2:2017cv00327/242820

>what are the best pre-Xin Sheng Capellan mechs?

Vindicators?
They work, they're cheap and they're extremely noob friendly since they don't overheat and have JJs to get around the place easily.

I think they also had some neat Thunderbolts.

All in all, you should keep in mind Capellans were the de-facto OPFOR of the time so a lot of their units were designed as grunts to be gunned down by the players.

Does this ride truly never end?

R.I.P. in hell Carl Macek for getting financing from Californian Egyptian rights resellers. Not that Jordan Weisman isn't also due for blame due to all the blatant cash grabbing and rights selling that FASA and later companies under him have done. Shitheels suing shitheels ruining things that I care about.
I really wish that we could get the original content creators to sue the fuck out of Harmony Gold but that will never ever happen.

Not until the HG offices have been burnt to the ground, everyone who has ever worked for them has been killed, and the ground salted.

Note also that they aren't suing CGL/Topps.

Didn't we answer you last thread?

HBS is obviously standing its ground, for what it's worth. Good on them. I hope they crush HG.

Yeah looks like Harmony Gold is suing HBS and Piranha Games that case has been going on from March 1st this year, doesn't say CGL though on the defendants so it might be jsut CGL covering their bases by pulling out all of the Macros inspired mechs

I think this is it. Topps and/or CGL pre-emptively folded, and just HBS stood their ground.

It's both PGI and HBS.
Basically, they're attacking Alex's redraws.

I just can't fathom how on Earth is the US jurisdiction system allowed to be so dense and corrupt.
Japanese clearly settled it way back in 2005.
Harmony Gold owns the rights to the airing of the original anime. Designs, characters, stories, the movie,... they own nothing but the right to air the original show.
But the idiots take HG's "We don't care what Japanese courts think," as the word of God and run with it.

It's basically black humor at this point.

blog.livedoor.jp/nucolina/archives/cat_414784.html
his actual livedoor site.

My real issue is that the court costs for this, however it ends up, are gonna slow further development on the turn based Battletech game that I have wanted for decades and also funded. I would say fuck PGI too but they have provided me with some of the best reference material an artist could ask for via Alex's concepts and non-encrypted 3D models and assets.
Black humor at it's finest, the modern legal system. No matter the outcome, the lawyers win.

Or HG is going after Jordan Weisman and the smaller companies, knowing that dragging CGL and Topps into will end badly for them. Just pure bullying tactics from Harmony Golds lawyers.

I'd agree with that being a possibility except with CGl obviously pulling all their Macross stuff in a hurry, despite it obviously fucking a bunch of their plans. I'm sure they were approached and caved for that reason.

>his actual livedoor site.

I went with the model site since this one is fully Japanese and a ton of the stuff presented it just WiPs.
The former site has everything presented relatively neatly and doesn't require BFS on alien characters for those of us who can't even read kana.

Look at the documents. Inmediares (CGL) is named in the actual files as defendants. Just not on the site.

anyone sharing this?

So my gm is gonna let me fly an aerospace fighter for out battletech games eventually, but he's not set up for it yet, so in the meantime hes giving me a VTOL. Do you have any recommendations on how to play VTOLs?

The year is 3028, and i dont know what we are gonna get our hands on, so no idea what my ride will be.

Should the new nickname for Atlas be Bubba?
All in favor say "Aye"!

No.

Big Benis. :-DDDDD

Ah sorry missed that, was too bummed out when I saw the damn case, just irritates that fuck out of me that even today Harmony Gold can pull this shit with redesigned Mechs.

Warrior Attack Helicopter, I would recommend the 7C, with LRM10 and SRM4 has enough range to stay away from angry mechs and can do enough damage to hurt them.

Best bet is to keep you speed and come in from directions that are not right infront of the mechs, VTOLs are rather hard one to hit, but rather not take a risk from lucky shot.

Karnov AC20 variant.

So they dont die as easy as they did in mw4? Cuz those things dropped like flies whenever the ai looked at them.

Oh, no. Not AS easily. They die easily, but hitting them is not as much a duck shoot.

Fucking mother fuckers. Harmony Gold needs to be taken out back and fucking shot. I seriously hope that PGI, HBS, and CGL combine forces and fuck HG in the ass on this one.

They can. Because they're so light they don't carry much armor. And a small laser hitting the rotors will still down it.

This *might* justify why both HBS and CGL are delaying the shit out of their products

Don't know about HBS --- that could be just a typical game delay. But CGL? Almost certainly. Alpha Strike box that was supposed to have classics? Combat Manuals filled with classics? Months of delay on 2nd SW, then we get a book with a bunch of re-used art? Money spent on original BMM cover that was supposed to have a Rifleman (and presumably other classics art) flushed down the toilet? I'm betting this screwed CGL in all sorts of ways.

>I just can't fathom how on Earth is the US jurisdiction system allowed to be so American

Fixed for you. Better not criticize the system of freedom, the freedom agency is recording your posts~

If it's the Alex art, I can see why they did that. Pic shows that the two look very similar.

I wonder if the fact that HG doesn't actually DO anything with the Robotech license means anything in this kerfuffle, or is it like that stupid Mickey Mouse Copyright Exemption Act?

Someone in the last thread said all the Macross ones were done except the Longbow. Well, they still were missing the Stinger, Wasp and Valkyrie. The only Stingers and Wasps we have are bad edits of the Phoenix Hawk.

any MWO anons here from the other day?

Doesn't matter what the Jap courts say, they have no power in America.

OTOH, CGL has a track record of SOON (TM) but actually never, fuck you fans! and not paying artists, so business as usual and screwing up in other ways is easily plausible.

Not any more, user. Rotor hits only do 1 damage each except for physicals (and maybe crashes?)

No, the judge ruled in default against IMR/CGL.

Hey, CGL, lawyers are expensive. Maybe you shouldn't have put all of your money into a porch.

What are your guys favorite canonical mechs? I have to go with the chameleon 7VQ. I wish there was more than one, I'd love to get my hands on one. The Falconer and the Penetrator 6T are also delicious.

So if i'm going into a game with a Warrior 7C, i should be flanking. What do i do when they start focusing on me? I've never done a hilo in Btech yet.

Firewall the throttle and pull back out of range. Warriors are fast enough that you should be able to duck in and out of range easily

The KGC-001. Fuck, I love that mech so much. It isn't actually that amazing, due to having 6 locations that cripple/kill the mech if I lose them, but I love it so much anyway.

so i go in when initiative favors me, then out when not?

>No, the judge ruled in default against IMR/CGL.

Source, because Topps is supposed to handle all Battletech legal stuff.

You tell me.

>Doesn't matter what the Jap courts say, they have no power in America.

Sure puts all those jokes about China and their originality into perspective. Essentially, I could steal anything from the Asians as long as they didn't explicitly pay the US a heap of money to settle the paperwork in a country they couldn't give less of a shit about, and be in the clear?

>>pacermonitor.com/public/case/20755327/Harmony_Gold_USA,_Inc_v_Harebrained_Schemes_LLC_et_al

>ORDER signed by Clerk William M. McCool granting39 Motion for Default by Harmony Gold U.S.A., Inc. Default entered against InMediaRes Productions, LLC. (KD)

>>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_judgment
>Default judgment is a binding judgment in favor of either party based on some failure to take action by the other party. Most often, it is a judgment in favor of a plaintiff when the defendant has not responded to a summons or has failed to appear before a court of law. The failure to take action is the default. The default judgment is the relief requested in the party's original petition.[1]

Basically yes but especially when dealing with America, which uses its various treaties as the equivalent of a Mafioso going "Sure is a nice economy you got goin' here. Be a shame if somebody withdrew from the treaty agreements or somethin,'" spoken or unspoken, and has used those same treaties to force American law and precedents down everyone else's throats.

The other thing you have to consider is risk versus reward. One of the reasons the Japs DGAF about Harmony's shennanigans is that they don't think they can make money by exporting their stuff to America by using another company, so it's way too much hassle to go to court. As with , CGL probably doesn't even have the money to mount a legal defence after its many and varied fuck-ups so is taking the path of least resistance in the hopes that the other parties might win so they can proceed again.

>CGL didn't even show up with a lawyer

This is a new level of retarded. What the hell were they thinking? What stupid thing are they bound to now? Or is this not going to get settled until after the actual court date of September fucking 2018?

I love the Blitzkrieg, it's fun as fuck, there's simply no way to drive it besides balls-out insanity at all times

notice that the submitted documents seem to indicate that HG is arguing that the Atlas looks too much like the Crusader, so if Catalyst is saying "yeah we agree", how TF are they supposed to stay in business?

>The lawyers actually submitted this

I can't tell if this is genuine retardation or some kind of bait to whip out the actual marauder/archer stuff in the real fight as a trump card.

Damn Harmony Gold. They should have been nuked from orbit, just to make sure.

But if CGL didn't even try to fight it, isn't that similar to pleading guilty to the case that HG built - offending Atlas and all?

See
>so is taking the path of least resistance in the hopes that the other parties might win so they can proceed again.

More like Catalyst should learn how to defend themselves legally, and maybe spend less money on hookers and blow, and just hire a lawyer that they keep on speed dial already.

Now, the question is whether or not Alex's Marauder is different enough to be considered a homage rather than a ripoff.