Has any GM on Veeky Forums ran a game where they allowed 'bluebooking'?

Has any GM on Veeky Forums ran a game where they allowed 'bluebooking'?

Can anyone explain what it is to me, and give me some examples?

I keep hearing this term, but no one's ever really explained it to me beyond making it sound like fan fiction for PCs. But surely there's more to it, else no one would do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game_terms#Terms_used_by_gamers
rpg.net/oracle/essays/vocabulary.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've done it. Sort of. Basically between sessions you contact your players, or dm if your on the other side of it (i've done it both ways) and talk about what your character has been up to between sessions. it kinda lets you fill out the character more than you can during the group session because you don't have to worry about the rest of the players. Assuming we are thinking of the same thing, and I grant that we may not be, it really does add a lot to the experience. It helps players engage more with the character and the world and give you the opportunity to give certain players information you haven't given the whole group to see how they interact with each other.

Now that i've answered your questions, at least I hope i have and that I'm not off topic, where can I get that picture? The whole thing I mean.

Addendum

To provide an example of Blue booking as I understand it, once in a shadowrun game we had an enemy the rest of the group let go. They swore they would never bother us again, and for some reason that was good enough for the group and they forgot about it. Honestly dm probably would have never introduced that character again anyway, but I felt that my character wouldn't just be K with letting someone go like that. So I talked with the dm between sessions and went through the effort to track down and eventually kill said loose end. Honestly the party never knew, but it made my character feel more real to me, and it in turn changed my concept of the character and added a new nuance when i played that character in the group sessions from then on because I had more material to work with. That was a example. I can give you more if you would like.

Still wanna know how to get that picture.

Ok that's interesting. I like that idea that the players can contact the GM between sessions if the really want to achieve ooc goals.

And to answer your question that's all I have for that image but you might be able to get the full thing if your use tineye.

>fan fiction for PCs
And the normal sessions aren't?

In the age of Internet, it is extremely easy to GM multiple players separately, allowing them to interact with each other via proxy of your fictional world.
Imagine if one day you found out that the annoying group of NPCs you keep encountering is actually played by another group of fa/tg/uys your GM is secretly GMing for simultaneously.
It adds to the experience.

Here you go senpai

I've never heard this thing being called 'bluebooking'. Just minisessions, and they happen a lot in the games I've been in - either things that concern just one (or two) PCs, or sometimes even things without the GM at all, between two PCs just interacting for the sake of interacting (and not using session time to do so)

thanks for the explanation.

I would say more "in the age of the internet GMing multiple players is more possible".

Running several different situations at the same time get can get even more complicated than a regular game so i wouldn't say it can be done easily.

The 'bluebook' thing is probably a reference to the little blue books of note paper that college stores used to sell, for students to use for essay tests. The also got used as notebooks for general stuff, so they were handy to keep track of 'down time' activities.
(That was always my assumption, at least. And I also assume that the actual blue books no longer exist.)

Never heard of that term. I always ask my players for downtime activities at the end of a session. I just thought that was pretty standard.

Confused: The Bluebook is the guide for legal citations. Blue booking refers to checking citations.

Same. I think people are making shit up unless they have links for "bluebooking in RPGs"

Never heard this phrase. Had a DM that has played since the 90s. Might as well call DM intervention. Individual contact with the DM to iron out details with your character in between sessions was what came to mind.

A term can be shared between two unrelated things by coincidence.

Google has all the links you could want to explain bluebooking in RPGs.

I believe this is the origin of the term.

No, see Blue Book was the military psy-op to cover up the government's involvement with the ETs.

Interesting, I did something similar on roll20. After each session I'd encourage the players to write a public journal entry and I'd turn roll20 on anytime of the week they wanted to upload their journal entry. I figured a journal entry would keep them interested in the game all week long and actually pay attention to details.

Thanks.

I never heard the term before, but if it's anything like what the first poster said, I've definitely done it before. I have a player who's pretty passionate about roleplaying, so we end up doing solo sessions where he goes out to buy gear or talk to local NPCs, and for the new campaign he did an entrance ritual to a white mage guild. I would definitely be alright if the other players wanted to do it as well.

On a different note, me and another player did a sort of epilogue war session between our two characters, had some prep time and started without any real planning when we began throwing fighting speeches at each other. It was pretty fun.

>tfw Washington State uses all sorts of fucking non standard citations for all their courts

I hate this place

First of all, that term is terrible.

Secondly, my group does this all the time. Characters will do things without the rest of the group and we'll resolve it with the GM over Skype between sessions.

Sometimes the GM also asks us what our character wants to do next, to make his prep easier for next sesh. I guess that's a different thing, maybe?

I could imagine this being super bad if the DM played favourites with certain players.
Suddenly the paladin has a Holy Avenger out of no-where and it all happened "off screen" - that sort of thing.

It's definitely best for low-stakes stuff like sending/replying to in-game missives/correspondences, vanity shopping, or doing self-contained side questing with limited risk/reward involved.

Not the correct image use rule34 paheal and search emoji.

one of the guys in the first D&D group I was a part of and I would do that over the phone, it was more or less interactive storytelling, no dice rolls, or nothing, if it would advance the plot, it worked, if it didn't, it failed.

>Google has all the links you could want to explain bluebooking in RPGs.

Suuuure it does.

Would you prefer DuckDuckGo? Regardless if you're too lazy to take personal initiative on this matter then why don't you leave this discussing to people interested in discussing bluebooking?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game_terms#Terms_used_by_gamers

Blue booking: One or a few of the players describing activities of their characters in written form, outside of the role-playing session, creating a sort of ongoing character history and resolving actions that don’t involve the rest of the group.[1]

[1] Masters, Phil. “On the Vocabulary of Role-playing”, The Oracle: Essays. Retrieved 2012-02-18.

rpg.net/oracle/essays/vocabulary.html

>is a 404 : (
I tried