D&D Hate Thread General - /HTG/

Ok, so we've made such a habit of having this thread that really, we honestly should just take it to its logical conclusion and have a regular thread about it on here.

Why is D&D Shit?

Fag

because you're still not playing Basic or 4e

I'm OP. That's a given.

What does basic do better than the newer variants?

>Why is D&D Shit?
One of the main reasons for me is that WotC can't write interesting settings.

DnD has some interesting settings it's just that the 5E default of Forgotten realms isn't that great

>DnD has some interesting settings
Yes, but all of them are either homebrew or from TSR era.

The default is also that Sigil and Planescape's cosmology are also a thing, which is neat (if hardly represented via mechanics).

Doesn't WotC own most of them still? I might be more interested in 5E if they published a setting book for darksun or something

They've been ramping up to do Eberron: an Inquisitive subclass, psionics, and an artificer in playtest.
And the guy mostly in charge of Adventurer's League has been way into Dark Sun as of the last 10 months or so, but I think he's just a big fan of the setting.

Because it chokes out creativity by precluding other settings and systems?

Gets out of the way.

This would be great if this was like that April's Fool joke years and years ago, where everyone who posted in this thread got banned for a week.

I didn't have a problem with how many rules 5E had but I still didn't like it, what would basic offer me or is it just not for me?

If you guys could do me a favor and list the problems with 3.finder?

Stuff like ivory tower design and caster supremacy. I just need a good overview of everything you can think of and why it's a problem.

If anyone wants to talk about the good parts of the system, I won't argue.

Too much emphasis on combat. Quantity approach instead of quality when it comes to character options.

Martials in addition to being under-powered are also boring to play in combat, at least with the default SRD because they lack meaningful options in combat outside hitting things
The system has to many built in assumptions and is therefor very limited in the games it can run
The rules are bloated to the point where a GM or player might struggle to learn the game or build a functional encounter or player (I never had a problem with this though)
The system is very narrow in both the types of settings and games it can run without homebrew or supplements
The system isn't realistic, balanced, lacks depth from a gamiest perspective, and does nothing to facilitate storytelling

Oops, I repeated number 2 again with number 4
Also on the upside 3.PF has more character options, even more meaningful ones than 5E

>caster supremacy
It's been my experience that most new players are more likely to pick from the 95% completely useless spells than the 5% broken, overpowered ones.

lmao no it fucking doesn't, it has all the arcane dnd bullshit with added wtf like getting bonus experience if you have high ability scores, although said ability score may affect nothing in play. It doesn't even have a generic action resolution system.

>added wtf like getting bonus experience if you have high ability scores
Wasn't this a (usually ignored) thing still hanging around from OD&D?

this thread didnt lift-off because the OP clearly didnt contain enough bait
that's sadly all you need to understand about Veeky Forums