In the last D&D 3.5 setting we played, the party befriended a level 15 female angel...

in the last D&D 3.5 setting we played, the party befriended a level 15 female angel, by the end of the setting the angel was level 20

in this new setting, my players are roleplaying as the souls of their previous characters now reincarnated into new bodies, new life and memories as well, but one of them recently remembered part of her past life and several fragmented details of it, among those was the good and happy memory of the female angel

now, the thing is, im planning them face the angel they befriended when they reach level 20, she is now a lawful evil infernal alied with an empire from overseas, the party is level 9, they will eventually cross the sea and find the now evil angel

BUT, as much as i have thought about it since the begining of the setting, i cant quite come up with a reason for her to fall to evil, the basic idea was that someone, maybe another pitfiend, tricked her into falling to evil, maybe showing her a situation in wich she lost hope and love for everything, but i cant come up with said situation

tl;dr - what reasons could an agel have to swich alignments to lawful evil?

Being tricked by some bad entity is kinda cookie cutter style

Maybe something far more simple? The angel has helped for some time people to set things right, and it worked for a while. But then everything started to go wrong again not because some BBEG but because people are people. The angel had enough of it and tried to fix it again, and again but each time with more direct actions until it became a tyrant

Rolled a nat 1 to resist a spell that made her evil.

this is another option i was thinking about, she started to sympathize with the lawful evil philosophy and choosed to fell

but the thing is, that there are 2 girls on the table, and well, you know, they like love stories and happy endings (the others dont mind this), so i wanted them to be able to help/redeem the angel back into heaven when they finally face her

she was sort of an "angel of love" entity when they befriended her in the previous setting, thats why i was thinking about someone tricking her into hate, you know, feeding/rejoicing on her disappointment towards the same love she used to represent/defend

lol, that would be the "technical" description of what happened to her

any other ideas?

Angels aren't robots, they can fall through interactions with others.

Easymode:
>Angel likes village
>Bad things happen to village
>God tells Angel to do other stuff
>Village gets destroyed while Angel is away
>Angel is evil now

it comes to me, that maybe someone she loved died there

also, when an angel falls, does it becomes in the evil equivalent of what it was? or loses power and level?

well, ill see what to do while they get to lvl 20, thanks to those who helped me

How does the angel still have any power? Angel's have authority, not power. Their authority comes from God. If they fall they no longer have authority. No authority means no power.

its a D&D 3.5 setting, angels are combative and can cast magic, when she fell she became an infernal, her power now comes from the god of evil and tyranny (Bane in our setting)

An idea

>Angel becomes friends with great heroes
>heroes die
>Angel tries to preserve the good works that these great heroes performed in their memory
>over the centuries, the capricious nature of mortals has led to countless near calamities that the Angel has struggled to mitigate
>Angel, who once believed in the inherent goodness of mortals, as exemplified in her friends, becomes gradually disillusioned, "realizing" that her friends were exceptions rather than paragons
>Angel grows bitter, and tightens her iron grip on the shrinking territories she still "administers" (the lands that her friends had had pacified/saved/come to political power in/whatever it is that high level adventures do)
>raises legions to reclaim that land that has in her mind been stolen from her friends
>treats them horribly as punishment for their wickedness
>all the evil she does is out of the love she had for her friends

>depending on your mythology
>the heroes' souls have been reincarnated by God, who sees what the Angel has done, and has sent then to return her to the light

>they like love stories and happy endings (the others dont mind this), so i wanted them to be able to help/redeem the angel back into heaven when they finally face her

I just want to say that I appreciate the hell out of you recognizing what your players enjoy and tailoring the game accordingly. Some people have fun in a world where anything can happen, some in a grimdark dystopia, some in a noblebright fantasy land. Making sure people have a good time is a great quality to have.

Keep being awesome.

thanks, yeah the disappointment/disillusioned route is what im taking for now, they will have to show her that there are still warm and kind hearts in the world

thanks a lot, i try to do my best, specially for the girls, since the guys get happy with killing everything on their path, but the chicks... they need a story

one of them (the one who now remembers her past life) almost always ask for the name of every npc they've met, the baker, the blacksmith, dear god even the war orphan boy that was just asking for a coin! (and then she took him along and teach him to read and be a man of good)

Pride. Just a drop of it, not megalomania but feeling that she was better than she really was, only by a bit.

She though she knew better, just for an instant, and took a matter in her own hands. It was an utter disaster.

Too late to back down. The result is regrettable, but regretting it would be wrong. What she did was not as good as she hoped, but it was not her intent, not her fault.

So she tries again. She has the ears of the people, well, of some of them. She tries more, better ideas. The first fiasco can still be solved, it will only takes the right people.

It works, for a time. But eventually everything fails. Nothing changes, her efforts are wasted. But as she discovers, it is not her. People is flawed, her ideas as good as they might be cannot hold forever in the hears of mortals.

She grows disilusioned. Maybe the mortals are not the answer she seeks, maybe others can do it better. Maybe, just maybe, the aether was wrong in trusting them. Maybe her task was impossible from the beginning.

She doesn't join the band of the demons. She works with them, as they can understand some semblance of order and honor. She doesn't trust mortals, as they are not worth of any trust. The gods trust mortals, and shun her because she knew better. Can't they see that the work of those doomed to die cannot last? So she tries, and plots, so maybe someday they might see the glory that could have been, were it not for them.

I dunno man, in your old campaign did the players notice some flaws or behaviors that could eventually have made her fall (e.g. pride, passion)? Otherwise it's going to feel pretty cheap to them if they were attached to the angel character.

its a long story but here it goes

part 1

she was a succubus, a very dumb one, she would always kill someone and get in trouble, run to the group to save her and then flee again, never telling them her past or why was she like that (i always dropped hints that she had been a good person before becoming a succubus, so, instead of killing her, they kept helping her)

the males of the group eventually convinced her to have sex with them without her killing them, still they placed a geas spell on her everytime so that she would not flip her mind and kill them lol

she even went as far as feeding on a young prince (and killing him) and his father dispatched a group of demon hunters, the group found her crying in the middle of the night hidding on the rangers cupboard

there, she finally told them that she was an angel that fell in love with an elf wizard, but he was a cold hearted bastard who, instead of loving her back, imprisioned her and took her as pet, she suffered constantly for years, being slowly drained from her essence

the wizard had placed powerful spells on her prision so, no good outsider could get near

in her desperation, she lost hope of some day being rescued... or loved by him, and she offered herself to the first god that could take her out of that place, turning to madness in her desperation

cyric, the chaotic evil god, heard her cries, turned her into a succubus and made the wizard forget to refresh the imprisionment spells one night, she was so weak she choosed to flee the place as soon as she noticed this instead of fighting him

this of course, touched the heart of the female players so deep, they wanted to murder the elf IN REAL LIFE lol, the group hunted the wizard, and fed him to her, after that the males promised to feed her with their energy from time to time, and to feed her the enemies they faced

part 2

at the same time, the girls started to befriend her even more, eventually convincing her to turn back to good - an atunement quest came, the party had to help her, and eventually became an angel again, ascending into the ranks (gaining level) again

she became a recurring help for them, mostly in the shape of advice at first as a low level outsider, and joining them in battle at higher levels

so, now i want them to face her as the one of the BBEG, i know the girls wont believe it, and wont want to fight her, they will move sky, sea and earth to get her back to the good side

thats why i need i really good reason to maker fall (again), this time as a lawful evil infernal

gonna go to sleep now, thanks for listen to me, and sorry if you answer and the thread dies before i get to thank you tomorrow, still ill check it in the archive

easy, captured by devils that tortured her until she turned evil. the good part of her GTFO`d and reincarnated into the character

Instead of making her evil, you could make her good but she has conflicting goals now.

So for example, she needs to protect the grave of saint saltyballs. Anyone who goes there must die. PCs need to go there to steal some macguffin from the church. The sword of saltyballs, which is prophesied to defeat the demon king, but the church won't give it up.

After becoming an angel again, she still had too much sympathy for demons. As part of her atonement for being a lusty slut, she was forced to go slay a demon king, but fell in love with him instead, and went back to being a succubus.

The demon king was actually kind of a hero among his kind. He had honor and bravery, and wanted to build a kingdom for his kind on Earth, where they would be free from the fires of hell and eternal torment. And of course, he killed plenty of humans, but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, and they'll just go to heaven anyways so boo hoo cry me a river.