Why can't we all just get along?

Because Imperium

Because the Tau don't want peace, they want control over the galaxy?

Yes, they are far more tolerant of other races and creeds than the Imperium - but only so long as the Tau remain on top of the pile and dominate the scene. Any race that truly threatens the Tau is subjugated or killed.

Sure thing, but first drink this and then tell me if this rag smells funny to you.

>no dick(s)
That's not Slaanesh.

It's tucked man.
also I'm leery about posting dicks on
a blue board

There have been hundreds if not millions of intelligence species before the Tau. They know this. They're not stupid, either - they know how statistics work, they know the age of the universe, they know everything they need to know to grasp that intelligent life in 40k is absurdly fucking common.

So how the fuck have they not developed Shas'O Fermi's Paradox; If the universe is full of aliens, and has been for an assload of time, how come they haven't all figured out and embraced the Greater Good millions of years ago? I mean, do the Tau REALLY think they're so special that nobody before them had the revolutionary idea of 'working together is better than killing each other for no reason' in this universe?

I mean, the Tau are all brainwashed cultists who literally can't critically analyze anything an Ethereal told them, so its not really a mystery, but your average Tau should have figured out by now that there's something that makes their philosophy nonviable they don't know about, and that they should be trying to figure out what it is and defeat it.

The greater good while not great is one of the better options in 40k, plus 40k isn't subject to statistics and isn't very logical

It's the form for appearing before a straight man or lesbian, duh.

Did you forget traps are gay?

>something that makes their philosophy nonviable they don't know about, and that they should be trying to figure out what it is and defeat it.

Is it Chaos? I think it is Chaos.

The question isn't so much 'why doesn't 40k make logical sense REEEEEE' as it is 'how have the Tau not figured out that it doesn't make sense yet'.

Of course, the question of 'why don't the Tau question their philosophy' is a stupid one because we know exactly why they don't - totalitarian mind control that would make the Inquisition's blackened heart tingle with envy.

How does chaos fuck with the greater good again?

Farsight exists although I don't know enough about his lore
Also the Tau rejecting the greater good would change the status quo and while the imperium is in for some changes right now I don't think games workshop wants to advance the tau fluff

Well, it convinces people that murdering each other for the glory of a bloated, eldritch abomination is a good idea surprisingly well. Kind of hard to achieve galactic peace when almost every species is liable to suddenly start massive unnecessary wars on the unknowable whims of an extra-universal metal album cover.

Chaos is by its nature chaotic. A huge part of the philosophy of the Greater Good is everybody knowing their proper place in society and sticking with it. Chaos demands ambition and change by its very nature - stagnation and complacency are anathema to it, and punished accordingly. You cannot be a follower of Chaos and subscribe to anything remotely relating to the Greater Good - even the lowest cultists strive to be the most devoted and prove their worth to their superiors that they might one day rise in the ranks and be gifted by the Dark Gods.

Also, they fundamentally do not understand the Warp at the practical level like psychic races do.

I don't cooperate with weebs

>stagnation and complacency are anathema to it

No?

I know Tau don't have psykers, but are they completely nonexistent in the Warp or just very weakly present? And why is their equipment never possessed by daemons when Imperial equipment is possessed all the time?

>The greater good while not great is one of the better options in 40k

The Greater Good doesn't account for psykers or daemons, both of which through a Titan-sized monkey wrench into the entire philosophy.

It's also very Tau-centric and is designed around their cultural (and even biological) background, and as such there are some races it will not fit well on (such as humans, who can function in Tau society but still often butt heads with Tau in it and are naturally ambitious above their station) and some it simply cannot work with at all.

>Stagnation and complacency are anathema to chaos

Papa Nurgle loves you even though you ignore him, user.

Heck, it's possible for there to be a Nurgle-friendly greater good since more life = more fear of death = more Nurgle. It'd be a pretty shitty 'Greater Good' since everyone would have Space AIDS, nobody would ever fix their problems and there'd be nothing to do but procreate, scratch your plague sores and cry about the oncoming heat death of the universe, but Nurgle'd be pretty happy with stagnation and stasis. Not the Greater Good the Tau want, and it's not possible unless Nurgle somehow utterly crushes all other Chaos gods, but hey.

Even Nurgle requires change - for what is the progression of disease but change? How can life be reborn anew if it cannot be allowed to progress from one form to the next?

Chaos Gods have overlap, which is why The Great Game is both natural and self-defeating at the same time

They have souls - they're just very small.

Their equipment hasn't been possessed (that we know of) because, as they have small souls, denziens of Chaos largely ignore them unless they literally stumble over a Chaos relic.

Their technology HAS started to show signs of independence in recent fluff, however, and now that they're growing as a power we should start seeing them interact with Chaos more.

It's also probably a factor that Psychic races build tech that works and operates like them, making them easier to possess by default.

Nurgle is my favorite chaos god so I am ok with this

Chaos gods are weird man. Current canon states that they exist outside time, which makes them completely fucking unfathomable in the first place, and they don't originate in the 40K verse anymore (current canon says that the Eldar didn't create Slaanesh although they don't know that, Slaanesh just happened to first interact with our universe in the Fall of the Eldar). I wish they'd go ahead and give the setting a proper rewrite instead of this slap-dash gradually shifting canon, it just doesn't make sense anymore.

>proper rewrite instead of gradually shifting canon

Greetings from Veeky Forums. If they're not as bad about that as Blizzard is, you can handle a little more.

Greater Good is Communism.
Chaos is Anarchy Capitalism.

>When the anathema wants to launch his great crusade but you bought all the space around Terra without telling him so when his ships launch it's a violation of the NAP so you destroy the future of the Imperium with your recreational McLorgar(tm)

Slaanesh has always "existed," but it was the Eldar that turned it from a gestalt, semi-sentient being into a full-fledged Chaos God. It was still around before, but not as a powerful force and not as we would recognize it.

Chaos Gods are essentially extra-dimensional beings. It's perfectly "logical" that they don't follow concepts such as "physics" and "logic," because they are beings who are above such petty 4-D concepts. They still have rules and "laws" that they must follow in their own realm - just not in ours.

>Papa Nurgle loves you even though you ignore him, user.
Nurgle still requires ambition and sacrifice to ascend in his ranks, and expects ever-increasing acts of devotion from his followers and the seeking of power through violence and the spread of his contagions.

Nurgle also is the god of rebirth and decay, meaning that things must progress in order to live or die. Disease is nothing if it does not progress, and you cannot be reborn if you do not die first. Even in undeath, his servants still constantly grow and adapt their forms and seek to spread the glories of their new and ever-changing plagues in the name of the Plague God.

So yes, even Nurgle requires progression, ambition, and change, and being a servant of Nurgle means you're constantly looking to advance in the ranks through your own actions.

Also, the only love Nurgle has for his followers is that of a possessive, abusive person who only loves something for as long as it is useful to them and doesn't care about that persons needs. It is entirely one-way.

Just hold still for a sec and then we will all get along.