You guys already forgot about me?

You guys already forgot about me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C5_wiYzHZ70
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who? Egg?

Oh, Numenera. I never gave a shit about you.

Yes, you suck, you're contrite, you're pandering and dull. Any depth you mislead people in to believing you had was no deeper than the puddle you overly describe.

The effort system is garbage and is hilariously similar to Vancian Magic but for skills. Why would you place charges and uses on skills?

Not at all, you are a great example of how to not make a rule set.

I honestly have never seen such an uninspired take on "apocalyptic cyberpunk fantasy" with such a shitty execution.

I was seriously hyped when I heard the concept, and then I read the book. Fuck me.

>Adventure Time the RPG, now with all the caster supremacy of 3.PF
No, thanks.

No, but good lord are we trying.

How can I forget about something I never cared about in the first place?

I saw who was making it, I saw what it was intending to do, and I already knew it was going to be some of the most intense mediocrity ever.

I always think of Fire and Ice when I see this thumbnail. But then it's just Numenera.

I forgot your setting but your system is serviceable. It's great when you have a cumulative six hours a week to plan a session and have to do it in one hour chunks.

It's got a neat monster manual and I wouldn't mind seeing those monsters in 5e.

It also has some good art.

That's all the good things I can say about it.

I am still wondering how a boring 'wouldn't it be cool if' setting got its own video game.

One Kickstarter hack helps some other Kickstarter hacks. Crowdfunding mafia.

Its setting is actually pretty decent once you get outside of the corebook. The "Into the [Noun]" series in particular is pretty darn good.

Also, once you start combining it with the other Cypher System books, you can start making some pretty cool characters, like a power-armored Elf face, a probe droid wizard, or an upgrade-obsessed robot fighter.

Bleh... honestly I hate this one. Numenera is so utterly... mediocre. Veeky Forums can't help but argue about it because it's got the perfect mix of good ideas and bad ideas to cause the most argumentative behavior.

This particular post, however, fails in that it actually looks like bait. No subtlety, just this cheeky "did you forget me?" Real Numenera bait threads are so utterly excellent because they don't look like bait. It's just someone asking about a new system... it just happens to be Numenera.

Normal Numenera Bait threads: 8/10

This Numenera Bait thread: 2/10, missing the point.

Is the ice wall asking this question?
Then yes. The whole setting isn't memorable.

Is the game system asking this question?
Then no, it is a very serviceable and GM-friendly system with a lot of good ideas.

youtube.com/watch?v=C5_wiYzHZ70

Apparently there was a short movie made about Numenera.

Took me a while to remember if this is the Pillars of Eternity one or not.

In any case, yeah, I've forgotten everything about this. I can't name a single goddamn thing that was remotely interesting here.

FATAL is like eating a whole dead cat. It's terreble, likely to give you some kind of fucked up diseases and wrong on a lot of levels. But at least it's fucking memorble.

Numberia here was like eating a big sack of sawdust. Theoretically doable. Unlikely to cause you serious harm. Utterly pointless, and if anyone ask you what it was like all you could say is "bad, I guess".

I didn't care in the first place

>Play the new Torment game
>Wow, Numenera seems like a really neat setting, I should read more about it
>Read the core book
>The main adventuring area (the Steadfast) is just a port of boring medieval fantasy geopolitics, all the cool stuff happens elsewhere
For what purpose?

>The main adventuring area (the Steadfast) is just a port of boring medieval fantasy geopolitics, all the cool stuff happens elsewhere
Not entirely true, user. Have you read the official adventures? Most of them are set in the Steadfast, and they've got loads of weirdness going on.

Fuck off monte you penis eating piece of shit

Because Monte Cook made the game as a detox for people who had only played D&D (especially 3.5, which he apologized for). That's why mechanically it's unique, but not TOO different. And the main inhabited part of the setting is odd, but not TOO odd. It's easy for people without a lot of experience to get into.
It's honestly my main complaint about the setting, it's largely the most generic fantasy setting, with a WEIRD SCIFI coat of paint. Though this user is also right. This one, too.

Looking at the adventures set in the Steadfast, we have:
>a valley of space-time bending flowers that the PCs get trapped in
>an adventure whose McGuffin is the corpse of a telepathic robot
>a city built on a mass of ancient pipes, ruled over by a baron who's made a deal with a parasitic monster
>an underground train under the mountains
>a giant field of broken towers that seem to have been support struts for an even larger structure, now inhabited by a bunch of sapient virus monsters
>a town built on the gigantic I-beam girders of a previous age
>a tomb built inside a previous-world underground complex inhabited by brain-shaped energy monsters
>PCs vs cenobites in not-Rome in an investigation-oriented adventure
>a village built on top of the ruins of a buried spaceship
>organized crime ring run by a godlike alien
>evil wizards, living in a trio of towers linked by teleportation gates, are sacrificing people to a sun in a box in order to gain power

>Adventure Time the RPG, now with all the caster supremacy of 3.PF

Now let's not be hasty here.

fip

Now those all sound pretty weird and interesting.

I suspect Monte only wrote 1 of those, right?

I'd rather have Gamma World.

Most of the criticism here for the setting is valid until you read the Ninth World Guidebook and the Into the Ninthworld trilogy. Those books (now having more writers than just Monte and Shanna Germaine) have a lot more depth and interesting material in them. They make the setting a lot more like something players would want to explore, find their place in, and get lost in.

Not saying that justifies the lackluster setting as it is presented in the corebook and then put the interesting stuff behind a paywall. Just mentioning that it should be noted.

>9999 can't be wrong

Hmm, yes, well, after slogging through the core book I'm not to keen on having to read 4 more to verify your hypothesis. But maybe you're right. As presented in the video game it seemed much cooler, and I think the vidya based itself more on the supplements than the core book.

I find the character options really bland.

I have read the ones available and none of them seem mechanically interesting. But I would not mind trying some of then as inspiration for characters in other games.

>finds character options bland
Dude one of the foci lets you actually play as Rick and Morty. Both of them.

I wish.

>play tides of numera
>think about anything else than strangling the writers
Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?

Simply epic.

So, like, was the videogame any good? Only heard of it because it seems to riding on the coat tails of Planescape: Torment, but the concept behind it still seemed pretty good (last time I saw it brought up on /v/ it was just a bunch of people REEEEEEEEEEEing about there being some non-binary NPCs in the game or something).

>So, like, was the videogame any good?
I liked it, but obviously people like disagree.

>Only heard of it because it seems to riding on the coat tails of Planescape: Torment
It's explicity a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, like how Pillars of Eternity is to Baldur's Gate.

>last time I saw it brought up on /v/ it was just a bunch of people REEEEEEEEEEEing about there being some non-binary NPCs in the game or something
That's just /v/ being /v/. One of your companions is bisexual, but it fits his character (a Bard who will fuck anything that moves). Aside from that, they don't really push a lot of gender shenanigans. Even though the changing god takes male and female bodies, he's always referred to as male. And the sheer number of vulnerable daughter-archetype characters the game throws at you could be argued as enforcing tradittional gender roles. And let's not forget ErritusxMatkina OTP

No shit? I'll have to check it out.

I can't even figure out why I don't like the setting, and I'd like someone else to articulate their dislike of it to me to see if that'll help. Somehow it feels as though it's a bland fantasy setting, but the introductory story involves a dog just getting swarmed by a nano machine cloud and reconstructed into something agonizing that needs to be shot for mercy's sake. That's some Eclipse Phase type shit or maybe even Delta Green, it's fucked up. How did I arrive at this feeling?

Why is that a good thing for a tabletop rpg?

Because you're right, it is a bland fantasy setting, just with a Dune/Eclipse Phase/Star Wars coat of paint. I use Cypher almost exclusively but I agree that Numenera itself isn't really that innovative, it just takes all your normal tropes and clichés and puts them in the future. It's not terrible, it's just nothing really new.

I tried to run a Numenera game that was a bit further from the D&D mold, mostly focused on puzzling over the ruins in order to help build the new society, and generally positive in vibe; I'm pretty sure I described it at one point as "Carl Sagan's Phantasy Star IV". They'd wanted to play something less of a downer than our usual Shadowrun, or so they said. In practice, I think it was too much of a mental jump for them.

I hold out hope that we can pick it up again at some point, but for now we got another person running D&D 5. I love the premise, the promise this game has; I just wish they'd been a little more willing to break from high fantasy tropes and a little more creative in their worldbuilding.

Look at the Fell From Another World focus. Just fluff the teleportation as the portal gun, and the telepathy and telekinesis as gadgets.

Just a counterpoint to all the classes being bland.

Bravo

All written by either Monte Cook or Shanna Germain.

>Into the Violet Vale written by Monte Cook
>Skein of the Blackbone Bride by Shanna Germain
>The Devil's Spine written by both of them
>The Hideous Game by Monte Cook
>Numenera Corebook written by Monte Cook and Shanna Germain

The only good part of this is the cyphers and artifacts. Anyone have an artifact generator similar to numenera?

This shit looks a million times better.

>Defend the sterotypical bard fucking everything character
>In a game that's supposed to have to industry guys making it.
Maybe it was... just shit too?

How can there be caster supremacy when everyone is a caster and have the same amount of abilities and shit?

Because although they are all "caster" the Glaives can only cast "Fist".

Reminder that the pizzagate emails prove morty cock, creator of new man era, is an autogynephage

alright folks. Lets do it.

Let's fix Numinera.

Part 1: A think cyphers and artifact mechanics are fine, and most criticism is about characters and how stats work. Can we hammer that out?

Part 2: I think the setting would be less bland if there was a stronger focus on a theme. Should it be something like 'hoping to build a brighter future from the rubble of aoens past' or a darker 'everyone before up failed, and so will we'. Then we have some big event to center it around, like a war or something.

>I think the setting would be less bland if there was a stronger focus on a theme

I think a good theme is the rejection of masculinity by the act of group autogynephagia, showing that by eating the offending organ we reject our complicity in the patriachy

t. morty cock

>Part 2: I think the setting would be less bland if there was a stronger focus on a theme. Should it be something like 'hoping to build a brighter future from the rubble of aoens past' or a darker 'everyone before up failed, and so will we'. Then we have some big event to center it around, like a war or something.

Yeah, play The Strange instead.

>Because although they are all "caster" the Glaives can only cast "Fist".

How everyone on Veeky Forums talks about Numenera
>Glaives are shit compared to Nanos
Which translated to D&D means:
>ighte s are shit compared to izar s

How people should talk about Numenera
>Compare my Mystical-Glaive-who-possess-mental-powers to my Charming-Nano-Who-Flys
Which translated to D&D means:
>Compare my Psi-warrior to my Wizard

Nobody cares uncle /pol/.

This. You can get even better with the flavors added in the Cypher System Core Book. Basically you can add an additional menu of abilities at each tier (Combat, Magic, Technology, Skills, and Stealth) and pick one of those instead of your Glaive or Nano ability.

People who have never played or even bothered to really dig into the book instantly give it shit because Monte Cook. Yeah, Cook is a pretty bad developer, but Numenera isn't awful by any means.

Goddamn that was a pretentious piece of shit.

>I always think of Fire and Ice when I see this thumbnail. But then it's just Numenera.

I thought I was the only one!