Thunder Warrior = Primaris

The fluff that should have been: Gulliman wakes up from stasis, Cawl introduces him to the old Thunder Warrior designs left by the God Emperor of Mankind. In need of numbers and power Gulliman allows for the reproduction of the designs on Terra and Mars, under the supervision of the Custodes.

The restored Thunder Warriors are led by Gulliman or one the Custodes captains. Unstable but powerful, they assist in the reclamation of territory lost to chaos, nids and Necrons but are only useful in offensive expeditions due to their rages and instability.

Now they don't replace SMs, are part of established fluff and are justified in their strength.

sounds like my kind of head cannon.

Someone who agrees with me, Primaris are retarded.

They already ported thunder warriors to AoS tho.

You doofus.

GW just wants to up the ante of Space Marine height from 2.2 meters to 2.5+ meters. Similar to how Necrons were revamped.

Take a chill pill nothing will change.

My problem is more how it stretches the fluff than the crunch, I like Primaris Marines I just would like them to fit better.

And I am a Necron player, retcons suck...

Honestly in my head Space marines were always 2.5 meters, I could never accept the 2.1-2.2 meter height with the armor on.

A chapter of 1,000 marines conquering planets? They better be 10 feet tall in armor to pull that shit off.

Makes you wonder if they'll stop bigifacation at SMs. Who else will be given a steroids shot? Tau, Nids, Orks?

Thunder Warriors being better than marines is stupid bullshit from the Horus heresy series though.

Sororitas

>Inb4 Primaris are actually thunder warriors
>Inb4 Primaris marines and 'uplifted' marines start dying in droves.
>GW goes 'It's fine guys we were planning this all along, now your Primaris marines can be used as truescales!'

Gonna love them riots.

>Now they don't replace SMs
This is why GW didn't do it. They're squatting marinelets. Give it time.

>The fluff that should have been
muh headcanon

fuck off autist

It makes sense they are less restrained an less refined, this means they can put out more raw power, now in terms of tactics and longevity space marines take the cake.

But Primaris are better than standard marine, who are better than Thunder bros. & standard marines can upgrade. So no, this would be a terrible idea.

>The fluff that should have been
Having a fluff reason for the different scale is the problem. Just release them as the new marines and be done with it.

This was their opportunity to fix the rules of the perennially mediocre basic marines, and they fucked it up. Now we'll be stuck with both 5'10 and 6'1 marines being distinct rules entities for fucking years.

>who are better than Thunder bros
Fluff disagrees with you on that.

EXTRA THICC!

EXTRA THICC

>It makes sense they are less restrained an less refined

No it doesn't.
Why use more powerful unstable troops against less powerful enemies in an area that's to be your heartland?

It doesn't actually. Thunder Warriors were retconned as worse in Master of Mankind.

Orks win octarius, imperials report seeing unusually large ork veterans dispersed among warbands. Buy your Ork Bigboyz(tm) today!

Primaris Shitsenioritas also known as the Big Log Shitsters of Basshole

This is my new headcannon, thanks OP

Thunder Warriors are LITERALLY the worst design in all of 40k

Doesn't fit. Thunder Warriors are basically something on par with Custodes. It would be just a custodian army with another name.
The very idea of Space Marines mark 2.0, just bigger and with some organs, just because is silly. Marines as they are more than enough, it's their organization, lack of numbers and an authority on the level of the Emperor who are the main trouble, not their size or organs.
If anything Guilliman should care about investing in the IG and Navy. It would be nice to change the name from "Guard" to "Army" to show that the Imperium is on the offensive once more.

>It doesn't actually. Thunder Warriors were retconned as worse in Master of Mankind.
In Outcast Dead, Arik Taranis himself says Astartes are better than them. So nothing's retconned.

They just renamed them to "faux Latin military". You expect another name after they had their of name for how long?

(You)

He never says that. He has a talk with Ghota and just says the Astartes would never accomplish anything if they weren't developed off the basis and template the Emperor used for the Thunder Warriors on top of which he even points out they were deliberately designed for the wars on Terra and having shorter life spans then the Space Marines who were developed for longer warfare in space and crusading around the galaxy. In fact it was a note that both the Thunder Warriors were bigger then Gheyta, the Death Guard Space Marine who was described even by his fellow SMs as being a giant and Arik dwarfs over even Ghota.

Arthava literally shit his pants when he found out not only were they going up against two Thunder Warriors but that one of them was the legendary Taranis.

Master of Mankind is more recent and so takes precedence.

>Why use more powerful unstable troops against less powerful enemies in an area that's to be your heartland?
Because he didn't have mars to help him refine the process they were not more powerful on purpose it was just a side effect of the Emperor not having the resources to create more stable warriors.

Yeah if Ghota and Babu are typical of the average Thunder Warrior then we can ascertain a couple things:

- average Thunder Warrior is taller and a lot more muscular then the average Space Marine
- average Thunder Warrior is also in general a lot more prone to violence and rage akin to how the World Eaters are with their Nails implants

MoM also says that they are inferior to SMs.