Ultra Great Weapons

Alright Veeky Forums I have in my setting weapons of great size and weight called Titan weapons.
They are only wielded by those legendary heroes of exceptional strength and were created for the sole purpose of fighting and killing huge monsters.
Think of things like Clouds Buster Sword, Gut's Dragonslayer and any of the Grand weapons from Exalted. These things can't be wielded by normal men and basically take super strength to use in battle

Anyway with that out of the way I need some pics of large, unwieldy, and impractical weapons magical or otherwise

That's the dumbest justification I've ever heard. Spears exist for a reason.

It doesn't need to be smart it just has to justify something cool
Hell I didn't even need to go that far I could have just said there were bigass weapons you needed to be a fucking shounen protagonist to wield and been done with it
I didn't ask for your opinion on these weapons I asked for some inspiration

Oh boy, can't wait for the realism fags to make this thread worse for everyone.

OP here
Just reminding everyone it doesn't have to be a sword
I'll take giant fuckoff axes, hammers, glaives, spears, hell I'll even take scythes if you got em

can't get much more impractical or unweildy than this.

Just go look at Monster Hunter weapons. 90% of them are ridiculously oversized.

Even with forced perspective, you can tell the weapons are fuckhuge

Believe me I have

This is bad and not cool.
And everyone who encourages it should feel bad and uncool.

>Swords used for hunting

OP do you have brain damage?

Never said hunting
These are for fighting Giants, Demons, Dragons and other large monsters

Also as I said here they aren't all swords

And as I said here that explanation is a thinly veiled excuse for why the setting has big dumb anime/video game weapons

If you don't like it I don't care

Reminds me of the two handed class in Dragon's Dogma. They had a special move that when fully upgraded you would literally oneshot Ogres and Cyclopses.
I had two of my pawns always ultra-aggressive fuckers to keep the enemies distracted whilst I warmed up the attack.

Why do people think that big ass weapons are cool?

Japanese with Asian micro-dicks needing to compensate.

Because visual contrast is always cool
Because nothing says Power like a weapon you shouldnshould not be able to weild but still do
Because it reminds one of Anime, of old mythological heroes (Sun Wukong's Heaven Spanning Quarterstaff), and of modern weapons design (big guns = more impressive, so same with swords).

I can see many reasons. Not everyone is gonna have the same.

Those are all bad reasons.
"cool" is fucking Garbage.
Anime and whatever weebshit sun wukong is is just that - weebshit.
"Bigger is better" is literally compensating.

Because strong men with big weapons are cool. So stronger men with bigger weapons are cooler.
This trend continues linearly until you hit each individual person's threshhold of suspension of disbelief.
And then you differentiate into individual tastes and fetishes. For instances, some people think sexy spaniards with rapiers and flouncy shirts are cool.

That's because they ARE cool.

You (probably brit) brigand!

Because they are, just ask Harry Callahan

Raphael, oh Raphael, how I long to embrace thee!

Mostly because there's a guarantee of high damage.

People enjoy destruction, and they love pushing it towards its maximum degrees. Bombs gets so huge that they level cities, lasers oneshot falling space colonies, and handguns are able to blow people's heads clean off.

Big weapons promise that something awesome is going to happen if something gets hit by one. Shield shatter, armor crumples, bodies get cut in half, doors fly apart, and giants fall.

My dick also thinks they are cool, user.

Daily reminder that tabletop fantasy doesn't always need to be realistic or gritty, so long as it is internally consistent with its own established rules.

ITT:

Might as well make it hourly.

On a related note, I wonder what sort of holster or scabbard-like thing you'd use for a normal-sized war hammer or a maul. Surely such a thing would be strapped to a belt while traveling with it and kept covered to keep the metal head away from the elements.

If you were old enough to have been in theaters when Return of the King was released, and heard the collective gasp of the audience when the Witch King revealed that fucking gigantic flail, you'd know.

I don't mind dumb fun, but oversized weapons are overused and not so fun anymore.

As long as established rules are realistic and gritty, i agree.

>Mostly because there's a guarantee of high damage.
Actually, they're wholly less effective than weapons of logical sizes and design.

That's because you're thinking about them being wielded by weak girlymen, like yourself.

>HURR DURR ME GENERIC FANTASY WANKER
>ME STOOPID
>ME LIKE STOOPID BIG WEEPONS
>DEY MAKE NO SENSE BUT ME STOOPID
>YOU STOP THINKING BE STOOPID LIKE ME

Mockery is the first refuge of the frail and infirm.

>Mockery is the first refuge of the frail and infirm.

And deflection is the last.

>And deflection is the last.
Hypocrisy is the sign of a whining imbecile.

Shut up and kiss me, wee man.

They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

>Actually, they're wholly less effective than weapons of logical sizes and design.

How do you figure?
By raw physics, we're looking at more mass which means more force. It's not like this stops being true past a certain point.

If you are strong enough to wield big weapons like normal ones without trouble, you'd be able to swing normal weapons faster. And speed gives you much more force than mass.

>Ultra Gay Weapons
FTFY OP

>And speed gives you much more force than mass.

...What.

Hitting with a larger surface area drastically reduces your power, also

Bro, you're an imbecile.

>speed gives you much more force than mass

f = ma
where a is m/s2

Additionally, objects of greater mass attain less velocity even with an application of equal force.

I'm sorry, but you might be an idiot.

By your logic, people should be demolishing buildings with needles rather than sledgehammers.

By "my logic"? You mean physics? lmao

>By your logic, people should be demolishing buildings with needles rather than sledgehammers.
Dunno. But by that logic guns are a thing.

>where a is m/s2
It's acceleration, not speed, you dumb fuck.

Beyond a certain point you arn't swinging the weapon no matter how you try, its greater-than-you mass ensures that IT is swinging you (should one somehow gain the leverage to actually shift it and not just poledance all over the hilt.)

At that point even IF you can lift it entirely your only option for attack becomes 'find UGS's center of gravity, hoist, drop on foe." At which point you've become a guillotine that consumes protein shakes.

Monster Hunter's size shenanigans aren't even limited to the Great Swords.

Is it irony that a lot of these are actually percussion instruments?

Acceleration is measured as meters per second squared. Sort yourself out.

Not that there was much doubt, but this thread proves that people who like oversized fantasy weapons are generally pretty fucking stupid.

>By your logic, people should be demolishing buildings with needles rather than sledgehammers.

Moron.

Not other user, and I'm sure you're baiting, but you're retarded.

If we look at it from a kinetic energy viewpoint, 1/2mv^2, it's obviously that if the mass of the weapon becomes neglible (ie a fucking needle) then you're going to have very little force, even if the speed is high. But even this is untrue for extreme cases such as orbit, where things with very small mass such as flecks of paint or dust motes are equivalent to a bullet - speed affects its potency that much.

All things equal, the guy with a 1 pound sword swinging it at 10 m/s will have 10x the kinematic energy than the guy with the 10 pound sword swinging at 1 m/s. That's not even considering tactical applications like smaller surface area and the fact that swinging a boulder sized weapon super slow is easy as piss to dodge.

>At which point you've become a guillotine that consumes protein shakes.

>Why do people think that big ass weapons are cool?

I mean, the reasons keep piling up really.

Do you happen to complain about magic in settings as well, user?

>a slightly oversized FLAIL
>on the same level as the buster sword/dragonslayer

Yeah, no, you are just an ADHD riddled retard who can't appreciate subtlety. But coming from a place like Veeky Forums, I am not surprised.

Every so often, I will introduce my players to a light, speedy enemy who fights *around* a giant fuckoff weapon.

What is like having autism?

Too bad, he's a fruity vampire now!

wait, that might work out to your advantage

My problem with giant animoo swords is their looks, just because they are ridiculously oversized, doesn't they can't have SOME sensible design choices. Why the fuck is everything covered in spikes, vines, tusks, or glowy bits? Isn't a fuckhuge slab of metal cool enough?

Can you articulate what it's like to be a blithering retard rife with phallic envy?

Fuckhuge slab of metal WAS the original design, they're all knockoffs of Dragonslayer from Berserk, so each derivative had to define itself as 'not-Dragonslayer'.

Oh cmon, I love berserk, but it was released in the 90s. Giant retard swords have been a fantasy staple for decades prior.

>they're all knockoffs of Dragonslayer from Berserk
>no one invented oversized swords until a 1989 manga with an oversized sword deliberately inspired by a 1970s manga
Thanks doc

>help this thread has things I personally dont like, no one else is allowed to like them!

I feel you anons, I hope one day you gather the courage to go to a different thread.

Exactly. It's not speed, it's change of speed per second.

F = ma
F = mΔv/Δt

I originally posted this. And I am really sorry for misusing terms. Should've said "acceleration" instead of "speed".

Acceleration still gives you literally as much force as mass, not more.

Actually swinging a weapon faster generates more force than a weapon with more mass. Because force is mass x acceleration and acceleration deals with a squared velocity so weapons like swords are made to be lighter in reality so that you can swing them faster. I still think unreasonably large swords are cool though because they are inherent power fantasies that deal with persevered strength rather than actual strength.

See

>acceleration deals with a squared velocity

I'm oversimplifying it obviously. I haven't stepped foot in a physics class in a long time.

Not him, but this thread got filled with cancerous borderline "magic is unrealistic" complainers. Big weapons can be just as justified as magic in a settimg and is just a matter of what people like. Spoiler, most people like big weapons. You just nees to justify them properly, and anything can work.

"No fun allowed" is the motto of these tards.

>f = ma
(2m)*a = m*(2a)
>Additionally, objects of greater mass attain less velocity even with an application of equal force.
Consequently, it's more difficult for the defender to stop these.
You're not oversimplifying, you're just plain wrong.

As long as you're using impractical weapons, you might as fucking well use gunlances

I'm not at my computer right now so I don't have my pictures but a lot of then have cool-ass designs, like the shining Ishtar, the rathian one, and deus obelisk, the ancientshard one

Plus explosives are always fun to play with

acceleration is the change in velocity over the change in time and the unit for it is m/s^2 that's what I was getting at. Not acceleration itself

Because Hercules didn't use a 2 inches knife

Poor example man, Jack's 'knife' is just proportional to his own sizable mass. Look as his hand, dude could just wrap the fingers of one hand around that fellow's skull and pop it like a melon.

The problem isn't big swords, it's big swords used by (comparatively) twig people. A lot of which probably stems from Elric of Melnibone and Stormbringer, design basically prototypes the slender, pale, anime prettyboy with a big, hefty weapon he shouldn't be able to use.

>Hercules
Weeb shit

size makes sense with weapons that have a significant cross section, like maces and hammers. air resistance comes into play. also if the mass is too high you need some power to keep you grounded, otherwise you will flail around the weapon and not the weapon around you.

but the main problem with the acceleration guy's theory is that just because I'm twice as strong as someone it doesn't mean I can swing something twice as fast. muscles don't work like that.

This woman's sword is not as preposterously huge as some others, but it's interesting in that it has a cross-section like an awl, and more crushes its way through things than slices.

Notice how that's not a sewing needle, but a 40lb jack hammer.

>Consequently, it's more difficult for the defender to stop these.
No.

All me. I'm a moron, by the way.

Wouldn't edge on such weapon amount to nothing, only making it more brittle?

Best girl by the way.

you can get a Taiko no Tatsujin drum in MH4U

Go full absurd like with Dark Souls 3's dual ultra greatswords.

>All things equal, the guy with a 1 pound sword swinging it at 10 m/s will have 10x the kinematic energy than the guy with the 10 pound sword swinging at 1 m/s.

But, why are you making the 10 pound sword swing at 1 m/s? That's just skewing the equation, and not really proving anything.

What you're failing to understand is just how much faster the smaller object needs to move in order to deal any damage. It's why a bullet needs a chemical propellant, and why a speck of dust needs to move several times the speed of sound to cause any real damage. I don't even see why you'd bother bringing up those extremes in a weapon discussion, even a giant ridiculous weapon discussion.

It's the same principal. A needle isn't strong enough to break stone, it's too thin. But look at it it this way. If the converse were true and more surface area did make it easier to destroy tough surfaces why is the spear one of the first tools humans made? Why do we use jackhammer point design instead of a large flat plate?

Use your logic and not your petulant knee-jerk.

You are right. Disregard what I said.

So why don't people use oversized weapons in real life if it takes SOOOOOOOoo much more speed? Even the largest of zweihanders weighed only about 5lbs on average, with the heaviest ones being roughly 7lbs.

EXALTED
DAIKLAVES

A focused point is nice, but keep in mind that the weight isn't an accident.