What would the standing army of a wizard republic look like?

What would the standing army of a wizard republic look like?
If we assume that it is a stupid powerful magi-industrialized D&D nation?

Yeah I don't actually think the wizards do the fighting, so it's not AS bad as it looks, until they absolutely have to step in - and most likely, step back, because wizards can go anywhere including private mansion demiplanes or across the world or live in the sky or hang out in a 100% inaccessible mountain retreat. Even in a relatively neutral and positive nation where the magic normally helps everyone lead a better quality of life than the rest of the world, if push came to shove they'd just leave the working class to the wolves because it's an expedient risk-free solution and in the end it doesn't matter which mundanes get to live under them, or whether any do at all.

You're still looking at scary shit like golem, hybrid monster experiments and undead armies before that point, but if you want to build a campaign, that's all plenty fightable by regular heroes. So a war against the wizard nation isn't a lot of fighting wizards, but for an adventure's sake there would still be a smattering of wizards among other resistance.

It's just a bunch of regular dudes in chain and plate. Probably a bit better armed than the average, accounting for the fact that the wizards are probably very wealthy.

Now, the fun part is when you relax and think "well this isn't too bad". You attack, maybe you even start winning.

Then some fuckstick opens a gate to hell under your feet while laughing maniacally like he just did the cleverest thing ever.

Sorcerer kings wouldn't care much for a sentient army, sorcerer kings barely care about their test subjects anyway, knowing nothing of right and wrong. They'd probably make their personal army of apprentices make golems and set up curses of extreme failure for anyone who invades and on the battlefield it would be powerful, superior units and strategic bombardments of magic, all controlled by a select few upper prentices. They're gonna be aloof, isolated and generally pretty caught up in their experiments, owing a large amount of land only being there to get the resources so their armies need to reflect that, something made with the complete assurance and belief in their forward thinking and intelligence over the enemy.

Shadesteel golem spam.

>Sorcerer kings
How do you get sorcerer kings in a wizard republic?

A president is just a king that asked to be put in power, the same with the sorcerer king. He's not the current leader of his part of the republic because he got some holy claim or bloodline, his apprentices think he's a swell enough master to vote him into office.

Summoned creatures and golems.
No wizard worth his salt would want to associate himself with mundane plebeians.

Rome didnt have presidents.

Summoned creatures are on a timer and golems are expensive, it's cheaper to outfit humanoid soldiers.

>Rome didnt have presidents.
And several medeival european countries did, except those were more like community managers than leaders. I'm saying its a title, they're wizards, they're basically gonna lord over the non-wizards.

>it's cheaper to outfit humanoid soldiers.
Its cheaper to turn them into horrible abominations instead. Especially since you don't want your magically enchanted swords ending up in the enemies hands.

>Summoned creatures are on a timer
I think it's ppretty safe to assume that a wizard country would have ways to permanently bind leser spirits and make pacts with the more powerful ones.
In the end it's much cheaper and less of a hassle to build a bunh of golems than to have to care for a population of peasant.

Byzantine.

I'm more interested how such a nation would look like, what would be their taxes and laws, their rights and privilages. How would they handle the orc baby scenario and how would they deal with the increasing violence in video games?

In all seriousness define this country OP, because I'm legitimately interested and wizards aren't exactly the very model of a good leader.

Take england during industrialization and mash it up with the republic of rome....

So to be considered a true citizen voting citizen you have to be able to cast magic and life for non-wizards is a disease filled, dangerous struggle, with nary any clothes left for the winter, lured to the state under promises of freedom and glory?

Also giving the early seedling of the rising nanny state.

With a council of plebs or wossname

I'd encourage everyone in this thread to look at Palladium's Tolkien War series of campaign books. I believe it's a good demonstration of how a high tech society would fight against a industrial Magic centric society.

>rare forbidden spells that change the terrain due to the destruction they cause
>necromancers in the night bring enemy comrades back to life to kill and lower morale
>magically enhanced supersoldiers who move fast enough to dodge gunfire and tough enough to take a missile
>adopting enemy technology but magically enhancing it
>summoned creatures, created golems, bound entities
>most importantly, so much Magic that the enemy never knows what to expect

Magic nation still lost though due to sabotage and a seemingly inexhaustible number of enemy forces; they just had so many robots...

Some details depend on how moral the Wizards are.

Their most tactics would center around Guerrilla Wizards with some elite troops equipped with standard gear and potions that boost the specifics what the soldier / squad is specialized in.

If they need a big army, they take some wizards and use Illusion magic to trick the opponents into thinking they have a large army, while in reality they fight by killing key targets and fucking up the enemies' supplies.

The standard battlefield troops - of which there would probably be fewer than in most big armies - depend on how moral they are.

Moral: Standard conscripts with apprentice wizards as commanders and captains. Gear is nothing interesting, but potions are standard issue.

Immoral: Brainwashed conscripts and prisoners of war, mutated into mindless berserkers who follow the orders of the mages.

Based on the Victorian/Roman mash-up concept, in it probably isn't a "standing army" as such. War and conquest (or at least subjugation) are a constant feature of the Republic's life, and high-ranking citizens are expected to stand at the head of its expeditions. An individual army's strength and composition probably depends on the mage leading it, so Malzworth's Cohort is a fairly conventional army of men equipped with magesteel weapons and amour, while Gulboth's Irregulars are summoned daemons and The Regiment of Ith are automatons who have been crafted over the centuries by one of the Republic's leading families. Although paying the price of creating these units is non-trivial, leading citizens expect to make good their investment with the booty of war. Such a system will rot from the top (as soon as someone proves that the richest prize up for grabs is on our side of the frontier) and it's up to the author to decide how degenerate things have gotten - but I think it's probably most fun if the condition is "terminal, but not serious".

pretty good thinking.

And since they are magi-TECH things like giant automatons doubling as staging platforms for larger spells, power armor and maybe even a sort of wand gun.

All this to repel invaders and supress the non-wizards. Doubt many forced miners would think about running away with a giant magical mech guarding the perimeter.

Imagine a level 6 fighter. With the WBL of a character 5-10 levels higher than himself.

Now imagine 20,000 of them.

A smoking crater

I pattern them after Carthage and Venice.

So they have a large mercenary force from many different lands, the citizens themselves being officers trusted with arcane devices which allow for comunication and coordination in levels which only radio gives. Each regiment has one or a few siege golems; They don't punch the walls, but dig underneath, build and operate siege equipment etc. Sappers and labour in one strong and obedient package. Despite their numbers comprising about 90% of the army, they are only 40% of its strentgh.

The remaining 10% are a small standing army of citizens. Those include battle wizards and troops with enchanted panoplies: crystal-powered clockwork armor, floating shields, gryphons, D'arcs and turtle-castles. Their combined power, in both tactical and strategic terms, represents something like 60% of the nation's strentgh. They only can't have the numbers necessary to garrison and ocupy.

The nation find it is cheaper and easier to recruit large numbers with vast loads of salt, worth its weight in gold at some places. They stoped trying to magically create them after the Tulpanic Disaster of 1323.

Mind controlled prisoners of war, not because it's effective but because they can

A wall imbued with platonic sence of the word "fence"

Isn't (At least) one of the HoMM kingdoms themed around this?

Technically its in every homm if you count sorceress as wizards.

In that case, if warlock - various monsters and dragons.

If wizard - golems, gargoyles, some supporting mages and servants, magical beings like jins and naga.

if sorceress - lewd fairies, phoenixes, elves?

How many wizards make up this republic? Whats their total population, how much landmass and resources do they hold, whats the local cultures say about republics and whats the general tech level?

Real answer - wizards don't form republics. A large group of wizards is called "a squabble" or, frequently, "a fireball".

An average wizard has the maximum of one apprentice, and even then they're likely to disagree and turn on each other by the time apprentice becomes a master.

Nobody said it was a large republic.
Or even small republic.

These two anons know what's up. Patrician lore.

>Setting has magic be very common, pretty much everyone is able to sling some spells, a few better than others.
>A few, very specific individuals are martial powerhouses though. It's a rare trait (Less than 5% of the population), and they're capable of snapping the average man like a twig before they can act.
>Standing armies are made of semi-fit individuals slinging very low tier spells, fireballs and the like.
>Instead of armies having the occasional mage to help their army, it's martials who have prodigious hitpoint values and strength.
>They're used as breakers to bulldoze down spellcasters like a bull in a china shop.

It'd be an interest turn around from watching wizards behave as artillery and cut through swathes of soldiers.

I think they'd be like the armies from Twig.

There are commons soilders, but they're mostly there to hold positions and maintain supplylines.

The majority of the fighting is done by different wizards, and apprentice wizards experiments and class projects.

>I cross bred a cow with an octopus! The sharp bolts attached to the side make it really pissed off!
>I built an owl-bear! It's not inventive but I like the classics!
>I built this cannon thing! It flings these orbs made out of concentrated suicidal tendencies!
>I built these self-replicating undead monsters! They should become infertile after 3 generations (Hopefully. I think.)

I like it.