EDH/Commander General /edhg/

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Hopes for upcoming sets (C17, Ixalan, Dominaria)?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-absolute-hazoret-jank/
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/waifus-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Aetherborn/rogues confirmed for c17

Okay I have no idea what I'm doing. How do I fix this? tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-absolute-hazoret-jank/

Play Neheb 2.0 instead and actually have fun?
Seriously though, Hazoret is terrible and really hindered by not having access to B for mass discard.

>Traumatize Tasigur
>He says thank you
>Next turn top deck Rise of the Dark Realms
>Jarads face when.

I don't wanna tell you what you should and shouldn't build, but I highly suggest using a different commander and throwing Hazoret in the 99

If you want to play some kind of madness/hellbent jank then you're a thousand times better off playing RB. Maybe use the older Neheb or even Mogis. Essentially, your gameplan would be to build a good board state and then make every player discard their hands, but since you've designed your deck to survive by topdecking, you'll come out ahead. You can run lots of flashback and madness cards to mitigate your constant self-discard (Army of the Damned and Faithless Looting for example). You can put in additional discard synergy too, like Waste Not.

It's probably not the strongest archetype to build but pretty unique and at least somewhat viable

Plus since you're in RB colors, you can run pic related, which is always a hoot

Don't tease me like that.

But why did you Traumatize a Tasigur player to begin with? That's a horrible play.

If the leaks are anything to go by, C17 looks pretty darn good. I'm preordering all four decks and buying up some extra pieces before they spike.
Ixalan should have some neat tribal stuff, at least. Not a fan of checklands rising in price, but I'll take that hit if I can get a sick-ass grixis pirate or naya dino commander.
Dominaria seems like it should be a boon for commander. Hopefully a bunch of legendaries running around.

I think I'm burning out on EDH fellas. I haven't built a new deck or theorycrafted in months, six months at least. I barely even play and keep on making up excuses to avoid going to the weekly games with my friends.
I've completely stopped going to the games at the local store because I had a few really tiresome experiences in a row, games which just straight sucked to play in. I'm bored with most of my decks, even though I've done my best to have a variety of playstyles with kind of interesting mechanics and multiple yet redundant lines of play. I've built most of my decks to be themeish and/or to showcase interesting interactions, to keep myself mechanically interested but it isn't really working.

What do I do, /edhg/?
Should I sell all my cards, get a cash injection of a few thousand dollars? Should I put them in a box and take a proper break from the game? Should I try and get myself excited again? Maybe start going to the weekly games with my friends regularly and engaging more with the games and with my friends?
Should I just take a break?

>C17
DRAGONS!
>Ixalan
Boros planeswalker please be good, also a good angel
>Dominaria
This gonna be good

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

>Hopefully a bunch of legendaries running around.
You didn't see? I'm pretty sure it's a shards-based tricolour set. There are going to be new shard commanders, and there is a grixis pirate one I could not read.

He means Dominaria. The Grixis pirate is in Ixalan.

Just take a break. You can't expect to constantly be invested in one game for months or years on end. Come back once Magic's all new and sparkly for you again.

It's not a tease

>Thread question
New cards for Teferi and Braids

You were Jarad or did you gave the win to Jarad? It's not clear the way you wrote.

was there a boros walker in ixalan leaks?

I just dont like the Idea of Wizards printing a new OC Planeswalker that gets forgotten each block while completely neglecting older ones

But a new Boros Ajani would be sick
inb4 Naya Arlinn Kord

Stop shitposting about the c17 Cleric girl being yahenni
Yahenni is male in the story not female,

To top that off he is also a Vampire now and we already have a Vampire deck spoiled.

>Hopefully a bunch of legendaries running around.

I feel like Dominaria and Ravnica are the two planes that could realistically support having a Masterpiece series of Legendary creatures.

They're not doing them every set anymore, but the return to Dominaria seems like a fine place to do one.

Definitely take a break, don't play or think about Magic for a few months. If you can't see yourself coming back to the game after a year or two, you can still sell.

>and we already have a Vampire deck spoiled.

source on this? what's the colors and what abilities?

As much as I like Yahenni...

Aetherborn are genderless, you doofus.

Just a picture of a vampire looking person, nothing leaked. The consesus is that the vampires might be mardu in color.

That's probably the best option. I might leave it until Unstable comes out, play a whole bunch of that, and buy a box or two for drafting and then take a year or so off. Maybe sell off a lot of the chaff, bulk rares and peripherals I have, only keeping my decks, money folder and some stuff which pleases me to own like my foil myr collection.

Thats a "spoiled" pic for c17
Shows a Guy that is obviously Edgar Markov (same hair and Eyes as Sorin and similar weapon and armor)

Mardu colours makes the most sense for Vampire-Tribal

That's obviously a vampire, I was talking about the other one, the aetherborn rogue picture

>Hopes for upcoming sets?

>C17
Dragon Tribal is a preorder since i'm a sucker for 5C Goodstuff.Vampires are up there but depends if they're B/R or Rakdos. Cats maybe if there's a decent tokens thing going on in it.Still withholding judgement on the last set right now, but I'll probably end up with all 4 by the end of the year

>Ixalan
Could be cool, that grixis pirate legendary looked kinda cool. Only thing that worried me was that Jace that might have a Legendary typing on him

>Dominaria
I want it to be Urza-Block powerful set-wise, but I know it won't happen and we'll get some toned-down cards from Dominaria like a weaker version of Tolarian Academy

That's Gerard you fucking pleb.

>Hopes for upcoming sets (C17, Ixalan, Dominaria)?
Loads of fun 5 color matters card in the dragon precon
Still to soon to hope for something in Ixalan or Dominaria

Look at the chain of posts, we're only answering the question about a vampire being spoilered.
And the other one isn't an aetherborn, but a human. Which is closest to being Tourach, at that.

If she's an Aetherborn why can't we see any Aether though her dermis? Why does a genderless character have a clear gender? I don't think you've thought this through.

>have the entire rare sheet spoiled
>too soon
I just wanna get some snake tits. That's all I need.

>brewing Tana enchantress voltron
>discover pic related
>get remindend why this format is great

>Loads of fun 5 color matters card in the dragon precon
Fist of Suns and/or Maelstrom Nexus reprint maybe?

I still want to see what lizards get errataed into dinos though, then i can hope for something

>be me
>be playing edh on untap.in
>be playing nekusar against locust god lazav and vela
>Locust god plays allahammerets archive into winds of change
>14 insects come at me
>play waste not then jaces archivist give him haste with greaves
>first cast wheel and deal followed by burning inquiry
>generate enough mana and solid carddraw to eventualy draw into underworld dreams and teferi's puzzle box
>make locust god draw 18 cards he takes 18
>box kills him next turn for exactsies
>kill everyone else next turn with
>Mfw

What are your colors for this? It sounds incredible. I've been trying to do a somewhat unique partner build for a year and can't get a satisfactory rough draft.

>be playing Nekusar against locust god
Poor guy, he got literaly the worst matchup ever

Tana is G/R, she makes a great saproling tribal commander.

>Hopes for upcoming sets (C17, Ixalan, Dominaria)?
c17 will be pretty cool, hope the last tribe is rouges and not clerics. ixalan is going to be shit. dominaria is going to be decent but ultimately a let down as wizards reprint policy is shit

>I don't think you've thought this through.

You think wizard have?

planeswalker spark, yahenni reborn

Are you really playing Enchantress without white? Just say Tymna.

i know right? and somehow i managed to kill him, if i didnt he would have literally oneshot everyone else.
>Mfw he died

i dont play tana tho. i only run two commanders and one online. i play Nekusar and sliver overlord as my commanders. been experimenting with memnarch deck on Xmage.

Just R/G and her by herself. Cards like Dragon Mantle, Bear Umbra and Artifact Mutation go a long way.

A weaker version of Tolarian Academy would still be broken as fuck.

I like how wizards always proclaim that they dont benefit from secondary Market.but then decide not to reprint 10$ (un)commons while leaving each new set with 80% useless cards.

Or even worse "yea we're (finally) going to reprint damnation". Once every 15 Booster boxes with Terrible EV if youre lucky

>Enchantress without white

personally it was a real Big let down that wizards didnt do 5 color tribal decks all around. the fact that there is no 5 color sliver, elemental and either angel or ally deck instead of this catcrap, probably mardu vampires and either clerics or rogues makes me VERY ANGERY.

damn nation is an overrated as fuck card anyway in EDH, there are better black board wipes

No. Don't be Tana guy. Adding another partner is objectively better. Black gets you stuff like Hatred and Fallen Ideal while white has all the enchantment related goodstuff.

Tana is one of the best Gruul legends.

They reprinted Damnnation in MM17 and it caused the price to tank to below $20.

Not everyone wants to play 4 color, unlike SOME ANGEL WHO WILL NOT BE NAMED.

When building a deck on tappedout specifically for edh, it should just autoinclude command tower and sol ring

agree/disagree ?

Clerics are an very unfun tribe to play.
It's painfully slow, and you end up relying on boring pillowfort strategies to survive long enough to combo off. It's just not satisfying, for either you or your opponent.

Pic related is pretty great though, along with Rotlung Reanimator, Westvale Abby and Battletide Alchemist. They're the highlights of only a small handful of good cleric tribal cards, while the others are all frustrating combo-pieces that don't work well on their own.

If wizards did make a cleric tribal deck then they'd have to add a ton of new cards to make them viable and interactive. I can't recommend you try them as they are.

>command tower and sol ring go in every deck, no exceptions

agreed

>command tower in monocolor

There is zero reason to play Tana alone. For any deck you can build there is a better commander. In this case it's Xenagos.

>slivers
I can understand wanting a 5c elemental commander, because of lack of options for commanders.
But slivers? You have 4 commanders already and you have tons of slivers to fill the deck with.

No HE got the worst matchup ever, he has to draw to win and you can kill him easily with Nekusar

but commander is a casual format. what if you want to play a different commander that isnt xenagos and one you like more?

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH SLIVERS. WE ALWAYS NEED MORE SLIVERS. MOAR!!!

>C17
VAMPIRES
>Ixalan
VAMPIRES
>Dominaria
Were there vampires in Dominaria?

This isn't a matter of choosing between the absolute best commander of all time and choosing a decent one. This is saying "I want to build Gruul enchantments" and not using the Gruul enchantment as your commander. Also stop namefagging.

I was thinking tana/tymna and running sacrifice stuff with some saproling support. But then every time I think of it I think of it I always want to use ravos

Tana Ravos with a bunch of Theros block enchantment creatures to recur with Ravos could be legit.

Trying to build Scorpion God, it seems like it builds itself but I don't think it feels very impactful.

Any spicy rakdos tech to help win games and do good stuff?

Blowfly infestation crumbling ashes and kulrath knight.

See
It's far better to run a basic in a lot of mono color, especially if you're running support like strata scythe or gauntlet of might/power. Or supplement your lacking drawpower with a sea gate wreckage/geier reach sanitarium etc. In 2+ colors definitely run a command tower however, especially if you don't use basics or anything like that.

Sol ring is totally a staple though. You can ramp to 5 mana turn two if you drop land, Sol ring, tap for signet and play a land next turn. That's huge.

Gonna start building now. Thank you. Legit fixed my inspiration

What cards for monored waifu tribal?

Translate.

What about two-colored decks?

Grim lavamancer?

Zealous Conscripts and Geier Reach Bandit.

We're headed back to Dominaria soon, you impatient fuck. New slivers are practically guaranteed.

Why would they sell you a new Sliver Legendary in a precon when they can get you to buy a box or two chasing one?

>building monocolor for edh

niche.

The majority of edh decks are multicolored in which command tower would fit in nicely.

I'm just saying it would be a good QoL improvement for the majority, not like you can't remove it from your monocolored deckbuild

>tfw Sigarda player amasses a critical mass boardstate and casts Sigarda
>tfw cast Torment of hailfire with x=15
>tfw they die because of their commander

If anyone is building Scorpion God and doesn't already have those three cards in it, they may have an actual mental disorder.
Those are bread and butter, the furthest thing from spicy.

In two color it's a must run. Both colors available turn one is pretty big.

Is there any way to make this pile of shit usable?

Havoc Festival. Just wither down your opponent's creatures and win by swinging in with your. Also Soul-Scar Mage and Eternal Torment are easy includes with Scorpion God since they turn all your creature burn turn into card draw.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/waifus-2/

Just click the red section of the pie.

if slivers are a thing in dominaria like they where in m14-15 (i started playing in m14 and picked up slivers a little while after that) i will shit myself and instantly force slivers in standard.

All that piece of shit needed was fucking haste

>Command Tower in colorless

how is that dude a pile of shit? he is an amazingly commander commander! it screams politics!
>5 color kamigawa spirits vorthos deck
>5 color pillowfort

Strionic resonator perhaps. Five colors gives you a lot of options. Multiple battle phases maybe? Goading, giving o kagachi assault armor (whatever it is that passes him around the board)

I'm pretty sure M15 was Shandalar, not Dominaria. Though Slivers had better still be around on Dominaria.

why bother spending 6 mana to cast a creature, let it recover from summoning sickness, and then let someone attack you so you can exile 1 permanent, when you can just cast anguished unmaking for 3 mana and exile something immediately

Assault Suit

It should just be like the Titans.
>Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or attacks

Vedalken Orrery, Leyline of Anticipation, Alchemist's Refuge, and maybe Yeva?
That way you just sit with all your mana up and play reactive. He's just a big rattlesnake in the command zone, so you might as well capitalize on that.

>Hey moon sized dragon spirit, get in this suit of armor

Helps end the game. People hold grudges, building the deck to help end them only helps you.

Sounds a little silly when you put it like that though

I wasn't knocking the actual thing it's just the suspension of disbelief for this game is broken in such funny ways, especially anything Voltron related

>I'm just gonna fill a Darksteel Plate with this Ooze and then throw some swords into the mix and shake it up and have a 10/10