Can a siege be exciting?

Can a siege be exciting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9-gSJW3sHXE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leningrad
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sure, you can steal as many watches as you can carry and you get to rape as many women as you want.

Usually it's boring, costly and dangerous. Sieges are the worst.

No.

That a a sack not a seige

only thing worse than siege warfare is trench warfare.

>german "men"

Bullshit, sieges are safer than just about every other military engagement you fucking tool.

Me, I have simpler tastes. I like to kill my enemies, take their gold and enjoy their women.

Lol, you are one of the dumb fuckers who think battles ended with over 50% combatants dead

This makes me feel fucking sick

You're one of those dumb fuckers who think sieges have to end with anyone dead.

If they surrender honourably they will be spared and taxed. Each day that passes, the punishment should become more severe (enlsave, exterminate, authorised pillage etc).

Nope, fucktard. You are blowing shit out of proportion for no apparent reason.

Your butthurt is the only thing blown way out of proportion here, tool.

Sieges aren't meant to be exciting, they're just meant to minimize losses to the people conducting the siege.

Try harder, kiddo

The ram has touched the wall.

I don't have to autist.

Sexy

If you are not sacking and pillaging the city after the victory, you are doing wrong. Think of your men. Don't demoralise them.

You don't want to repeat the Sack of Antwerp though

Kill every male in the city, enslave every children, every women.

Reminder that you can lay siege to something without even trying to assault its walls.

This, properly investing a fortified position can just be a rather boring waiting game. It's only when someone gets impatient that things like Paris or Vicksburg happen.

>properly investing a fortified position can just be a rather boring waiting game

It's how mercenaries did it in the renaissance.

The fuckers also rarely fought each other. They keep bribing each other and acting like bandits.

If you make a quick cavalry raid at night on enemy siege camp, sure

Yeah, but if you really want to say, "I conquered that shit," you gotta take the place with glory and thunder.

Depends on the perspective.

See chapter nine of V., by Thomas Pynchon.

>foreign invasion is underway

1d10 insanity points.

Normally sieges are not so bad for the attacking side and a slow and hungry death for the besieged

>conquer a dying husk
>glory and thunder

Sometimes it is hungry death from infectous in the bloody mud in trenches for besiegers, and besieged are relatively well

Also
> the tale of Azov Siege
besiegers manage to fail moraly check after month of bloody struggle, and are run down by defenders who sallied out for the last stand

Yes

Yes, especially if you have a metric fuckton of artillery supporting it.

Also, that fun book of Black Company chronicles, where they sit under siege majority of the book, and it is dwarf fortress levels of fun

Also, that bit in one Morrowind book where "after many months of siege, fortress doors finally opened, and one very pomp forest elf walked out"

It depends on which side of the wall you are during the siege.

For the besieged, it sucks. For the besiegers, if they have war machines, artillery, free target practice!

>roll up to city that's a dying husk of its former self
>blow a fucking hole in the walls with your huge new toy
>"hey mehmet check it out, I ended the roman empire"
Bloody turks.

>falling for the political bait rather than reveling in the inherent martial awesomeness that is storming a city's walls regardless of context

It's like you guys aren't even armchair military.

Killing is killing no matter where it is.
youtube.com/watch?v=9-gSJW3sHXE

Go back to your precious mongolia you filthy, turkboo.

>martial awesomeness that is storming a city's walls
Even after you've breached the walls its never not going to suck.

Get the fuck out of here Khorne fag, and take your spikes with you.

I'm American. You really couldn't tell? This is what you get for letting politics blind you.

This is why the phrase "embrace the suck" exists, friend. Proving you can take it and conquer it is one of the best feelings there is in the world.

>embrace the suck
Only works when you live. And more times as proven in history the first to go the walls always gets wiped out by the hundreds if not by thousands. Get your delusional military sense out of your ass.

You know that the walls of Constantinople were weaker than they had ever been, right, and that the garrison was a fraction of what it used to be?

Taking Constantinople wasn't exactly hard, even if the defenders made a good show of it.

Constantinople got taken cause someone betrayed the city and opened a gate, the walls were as strong as ever.

Seiges are horrible in general for the unprepared and unsupplied.

then why did Constantine bankrupt his empire with repairs for the walls of Constantinople?

To make them as strong as ever.

>I'm american
Hence turkboo, now scuttle off.

>implying they weren't weakened by a shitty, half-finished construction job that got interrupted by their Arabian debtors sacking their shit

c'mon man

Delusions are what keep you alive in battle, friend. Of course, to an outsider like you, it would all seem a simple madness--why would anyone put themselves in such a place to do such terrible things? Well, that's why you embrace it and give in to the red mist.

I highly recommend "Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger. It sounds like you need to read up on the phenomenon, and he provides some very good insight on the subject.

Yeah, so? I fail to see how that has any bearing on what we're discussing.

That's actually a bit of propaganda as old as the battle itself. The various Italian mercenaries who were defending the city (all of them from rival city-states) blamed each other for letting the city fall. Truth is, the Turks were simply better coordinated, allowing them to do shit like carry ships overland to open up a new front on the seaside walls. The disparate Italians and Greeks simply couldn't respond to everything thrown at them without a strong chain of command.

Read Niccolo Barbaro's firsthand account of the city's fall--he never misses an opportunity to disparage the Greeks or the other Italians while making his own Venetians look good.

Nah, not really. If I showed you a picture of me, you'd be blinded by the light reflecting from my flawless, pale skin and brilliant blue eyes.

I'm just saying, the siege of Constantinople probably isn't the best example for a "cool" siege.

>americans
>white
This has got to be the worst bait I have ever seen.

>Delusions are what keep you alive in battle
Nigger i've meet soldiers, i lived right beside a fucking militray camp. I've them get carted off to some hotspots in trucks, then saw the same trucks carrying whats left of them back. Both the survivors both whole and broken along with the bodycrates, its not delusion that kept them alive its the training and mostly luck.

What the fuck would you know about battle?

And I'd argue the opposite. When you get right down to it, there was plenty of cool stuff going on. The aforementioned passage of ships over land to circumvent the defenders' harbor chain, for one. The usage of cannons against ancient walls (though, contrary to popular belief, they honestly sucked at that), the construction of several siege towers literally overnight, and one of the first true tests of the Janissaries (i.e., some of the first professional gunpowder-focused infantry) all make it an interesting moment in the annals of military history.

Second-generation, mate. I'm as white as they come. Memes can't change genetics, I'm afraid.

Well, I DO have over 400 confirmed kills...

But seriously, I lived out of a FOB for a year and a half. I know a bit. You mention the training keeping people alive, and while you're not wrong, here's the thing--you can still freeze up even if you're trained. I've seen it happen. The way you get through that is by refocusing, because if you think about your situation objectively, your brain simply can't process it. You have to tell yourself that you're going to win, otherwise you've already lost. And yeah, luck plays a part. That's another delusion you tell yourself: "I'm not going to be the unlucky one, because I'm just too damn good."

>Azov Siege
It worked fine the second time

whycantwehaveboth.jpg

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leningrad

BIG