Kamigakari Thread

Monday has come round once again.

One thing i find a bit odd is that no ones really shared stories of their high power shenanigans besides me and kamigakari user.

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

Mononoke homebrew Guide, FAQ, And quick rules cheatsheet
pastebin.com/u/HomebrewAnon

Then again, its not like i have any new stories either. My GM basically fucked off, so i got nothing new.

Has anyone thought up any weird or crazy combinations of skills/items?

Those are always interesting.

People can image dump their generic anime shit here as well.

Hopefully someone gets a neat idea from one of the pics

Actually, one thing we haven't seen a lot of is scenes of things happening, rather than "Look at how cool this specific character is".

Lets see if we can't get more action shots in the thread. Things where something is going down or just did go down.

Might spark idea's better than just generic anime person. Or not, i dunno.

Hard mode: Next person to post a pic thinks up something for the previous pic

How does Grand Spell Invocation work exactly? I don't understand how Target [Area] works so I'm not sure how many targets it's able to hit

Target [Area] Just means you hit anything in an engagement.

An engagement is any contiguous group of beings with at least one side touching. Corners don't count as sides. There is no set shape for an engagement. Its can be a squiggly S or something else entirely.

So Target [Area] Hits all enemies in a group of people with sides touching. It can hit allies as well, at your discretion. Don't be that guy though.

So if there's five enemies standing adjacent like spanners, they're all engaged and therefore will all get hit?

So long as its by sides and not by corners, then yes.

Alternatively, a long line, an S shape, whatever sorta shape.

The one exception to this is obstacles, which specifically block engagements.

Say there's a line of 4 people, two on either side of an obstacle. It counts as two engagements because the obstacle is in the way.

Things that target area's can be a bit wonky. They depend heavily on positioning, and that can be an issue if your GM uses intelligent mononoke and plays them to full effectiveness.

If you plan to use it, you need to have a front liner or two that really understand how to use engagements to full effect. With the exception of legacy user B, players can only declare engagements twice a round each. This stops mononoke in their tracks and forces them to face they engager, at least for one turn.

So having around 2 good frontliners that can position well is key to using area attacks.

Personally, this one strikes me as a sanctum type of deal.

Like, thing happened, and you are in a carebear-esque world where instead of love and hugs and shit, they're trying to viciously murder you.

That or it actually is carebear land and the girl is so no-nonsense that she's slaughtering everything in her path like some sorta gory comedy deal.

Either way, it'd make for an interesting thing.

This pics a bit easier, but the context of why he beat up the other dude and what he's getting called about could be potentially super interesting.

Oh hey, thread's up. Managed to run the first sample episode for my brothers, and they had a blast. Especially when one of them left the final boss at 1 HP, and the other one took the kill.

Also had a couple of questions, too.

-On level up, sub stats change along with any relevant main stat change. Does HP also change, even if one does not improve Strength or Will?

-If a person is dual-wielding, and has the same [Additional Effect] that is used once per combat, can that person use the effect twice on the same turn?
For example, I have two tonfas, each equipped with [Spirit Reactor], which gives me +5 Barrier once per combat. Could I use it on one turn to give me +10 Barrier?

-At Level 5, High Talents can be taken in place of Common, Racial, or Style talents. I'm guessing that if you take a High Talent, you cannot grab any other talents from those, right?

-Just to be clear, I can take any talent from both my main and sub style that isn't labeled with a dot or circle at Level 2, can take any talent from my main or sub style with a dot starting Level 3, and can take a talent from my main style with a circle at level 3, but have to take a level 10 High Talent in order to get a talent with a circle from my sub style?

-For Legion B, do the effects of disappear after the turn ends or until combat ends?

-For on Expansion 1, it says that "The target can [Equip] [Mode: Switch Hand] ([One Hand] not included) [Weapons] as though they were [Mode: Two-Hand] (however, they may not apply «Reaper of the Battlefield»)." Would that mean that Switch Hands would benefit from any two hand talents and be subject to the 4-slot limit expansion for Material Synthesis if this is taken?

By substats change, it means that any relevant changes are made in accordance with how the main stat changed. So accuracy would go up if str did. If their str and wil went up, so does their HP. If neither did, then no.

if i'm remembering right on dual wielding, that is indeed the case. Don't quote me on it though.

For the high talent you are correct. You give up taking another talent to take a high talent, though i don't think the racial specific talent you get at multiples of 5 counts for that.

Correct on talent progression.

For battle command, Overflow is used up once you use it. It goes away. It will stay till used though. Initiative works a bit wonky though, so i'd ask kamigakari user about that.

For switch hand master, yes and no. It does allow the use of talents that require two handed weapons. However, material synthesis is based on the weapon type, and not how you are using it. Switch handed weapons are stuck at 2.

also, Damn that magic pixel. That had to suck.

Actually slight addendum to

>If their str and wil went up, so does their HP. If neither did, then no.

Since a small portion of HP is decided on by level, then yes. At every level, each player gets a free 3 HP, Since the formula is STR+WIL+(World influence levelx3)

Nice. The Battle Command one is something I really do hope Kamigakari user answers, too. Ran the Initiative one as though it was there until the end of combat.

Also ran a Legion A/B character with them and kept on using Focused Assault...the first roll seemed to always miss for me.

Did have a couple of missteps running it though. I let them switch both dice during Influence, and had them reroll all their Spirit Dice each turn instead of their exhausted one.

Also went easy on them with the boss and barely used any of its skills, but that was because one of them got hit really bad with just the plain old weapon attacks on the boss and the other one got mauled by the mooks.

Yeah, my group did the same thing with dice. ended up with our legacy user destroying the majority of a boss's health.

As for battle command, altering initiative messes with things like turn order and move speed, so having it last till combat end for every person its used on could be rather overpowered, especially for an automatic talent. It doesn't really state how long it lasts though, and there's no general rule that would apply to my knowledge, so its up to kamigakari user.

It was my Legacy User that did the final kill, but the other brother was being the God Hand that was dealing pretty much 85% of the damage and taking all of the hits.

Still, they're excited about working through the 2nd episode, too.

Well, thats good. At the end of the day, people enjoying themselves is the main goal after all.

Oh, another question from Kamigakari user, if he sees this:

Are there any items that are over 20k Gold? I was thinking of splitting the game I'm having in either 4 or 5 parts, and for that, I'm limiting what the PCs can get in terms of cost in increments of either 4 or 5k Gold. If there's anything that's over 20k, I would have to reconsider how the tiering works.

There are very few items in the price range.

In the second book there's a bunch of items worth around 10K

In the third book, there's items worth around 15K and many of the arms enhancements are rather expensive as well. There are a couple suits/protectors that are worth 20K.

but from what i can see, there isn't anything above 20K in worth, and the majority is below 5K. I'd say around a quarter of the total items are above 5K, and only a small portion of that are above 10K

Seems like there's supposed to be items in the 4th expansion, but so far, they aren't translated yet.

Thats entirely possible. I'm just giving what we have access to currently.

Actually, if i remember right a lot of the untranslated weapons are ones with lots of cultural import, like the kusanagi-no-tsurugi, so a lot of them having high cost is pretty likely.

I'm hoping we see that stuff translated eventually. I'm pretty sure there are some new racially restricted weapons as well.

Seems likely. Culture and race do sorta go hand in hand though

I don't believe so. I glanced at the Altered Time book and the most expensive Sword is 15k. Pretty sure they don't get much more expensive than that.

Huh, good to know.

I think other people answered already, but just in case...

You gain 3 HP per level, even if you don't up Strength or Will.

You can totally combine Spirit Reactors or anything else like that, yes.

At level 5, you get a grand total of two Talents. One is a Racial Talent. The other can be anything, but should probably be a High Talent, but you still only get those two Talents.

Correct, you can't access the circle Talents unless they're from your Main Style. Mind you, my personal interpretation says that if you're Arc Slayer A / Arc Slayer B, that means you can take the circle from both Types, since Arc Slayer is your main style, but I've had people tell me I'm crazy.

Like all Start timing Talents, unless otherwise specified, it's assumed the effects of Start talents last until the end of the round. So the Initiative disappears at the end of the round, or the Overflow would disappear.

I'm genuinely not sure about the material synthesis limit, but I think the intention is to treat it exactly like a two-hander in all respects, so that sounds right, yes.

Alright, thanks for answering those questions, especially on the dual-wielding and Battle Command's effect. As for switch hand weapons...they could be okay, but yeah, you would need two levels to make that happen. Kinda annoying for me, since most of the assault rifles in this game are switch handers and not two-handers. Also had a brief argument with one of my players who wanted to dual-wield SMGs, but since they're switch hand, you can't. (yes, I know there's the Lapis).

On a different note, I was working on a Human Legion A/B character, and at level 2, this is what I took for talents so far:

Level 1:
Human Racial Talents: Spirit Control, Hidden Talent
Legion A: Focused Assault, Field CQC, Special Technique
Legion B: Battle Command, Offense and Defense as One

Level 2:
Legion A: Aim Where It's Weak

So, at least up to Level 5, this is where I'm thinking I'm going to grab:

Level 3:
Legion A: One Man Army

Level 4:
Legion A: Long-Range Snipe

Level 5:
High Talent: Combo Skill
Human Racial Talent: Synesthesia or Adaptive Enhancement

The reasoning is that I could always combo up Where It's Weak and Special Technique if I can't get Focused Assault to work out, and when I do get Focused Assault, I can chain Aim Where It's Weak and Focused Assault Together for a single [5] die due to One-Man Army, assuming I can only chain two skills. Long-Range Snipe is taken at 4 in order to prepare to grab Precision Snipe, possibly at Level 6. Synesthesia is grabbed for the +2 modifier to rolls, although getting Adaptive Enhancement is another option.

Any thoughts on what else should I consider to take?

Actually upon further examination I'm wrong about the Spirit Reactor thing.

Things with the same name can't stack their effects. So doubling up on Spirit Reactor specifically can't work, even if they come from different sources (two different weapons). This is backed up by page 288, page 83, and especially page 157 (just ctrl+f for "same name").

Sorry about that. I was thinking things like Blade of Slaying Evil, passive bonuses, which DO stack if they're on different weapons.

I don't see why altering how you use the weapon would allow you to surpass a limit of the weapon itself. That just seems wonky. Because if you gave the weapon to someone without switch hand mastery, it'd still be the same weapon, right?

As for the style thing, A and B style's seem to be mechanically different for a reason. Otherwise, there would be no point to splitting them into separate things.

Huh, okay. I'm guessing he could use one Spirit Reactor on one turn, and then use another one in a different turn, then?

You're most likely right on the switch weapons. As for the main style ruling, I can see where Kamigakari user is going with it. But if that were the case, I would think it'd be advantageous to pick the same style, since you're not hobbled by having to be Level 10 for a circle talent.

While i agree that it would be awesome to get so many style ultimates, think about it like this.

With the expansions, a lot of extra ultimates are added. You could fill your slots from 3 on with them easily if you ruled it that way. For something thats supposed to be special and restricted, that seems overboard to me.

As it is, each style has about 4 ultimates, two core and two expansion. If you were allowed to take ultimates from level 3 onward from both style's of a kind, then you'd have access to 8 ultimates. Balance would go right out the window.

I agree, balance would be out of whack.

Hmm, would each ultimate mesh with each other or the fact that you have a ton mess everything up to begin with?

A lot of ultimates build on automatic talents or passively increase stats.

For arc slayer with just the core talents, you could mix Blade flash and secrets of the destroyer, increasing its rank, letting you move 4 squares disregarding engagements, and altering the cost on both to 4 for blade flash and doubles for secrets. You can't really use spirit void with this without the expansion talent that reduces its cost though.

If you include the 5th expansion talents, you can influence into a critical, use spirit void as i said above, Increase the damage on secrets of the destroyer, and possibly use a unique talent if you have overflow or extra spirit dice.

And thats just with the ultimates, with no support from the rest of the talents in arc slayer A or B. I'll need to look into it further, but more or less every style will have some semblance of overpowered stuff to go with it.

Dragon carrier as another example. Two of its ultimates increase the power of the tranformation.

For A, crystal enforcer can make the initial transformation free along with physical attack talents having reduced cost, and Outright increase the damage of talents by a main stat, and whenever a round starts you get to change any one die to a 5.

B gets an extra 10HP, 5 Damage reduction, and the option of increasing barrier or armor by 10 in core. In the expansions, assuming you take intellect enhancement and crystal divider at level 1 or 2, lets you increase rank of an attack by 3 once per session, and reduce damage by half once per round if you use crystal divider.

And all of this stacks. All of it is passives that improve other parts of the class. The only thing i didn't include was storm form because it required taking a Dot talent.

And now for something entirely different

Now I wonder how a team of Divine Talker mains would work.

They'd be squishy as fuck.

But otherwise, pretty well depending on their other styles.

If you mean how would it play, i imagine something like a giant band or some shit, going around, solving mysteries and putting a stop to villainy, scooby doo style. Complete with stoner and talking dog if one of em's a contractor B

Hmm, kinda want to make a not-Reinhardt from Overwatch.

Wonder what classes would work. Wonder if switch hammers are okay or if I should just stick to two-handing it.

If you are going for the thematic thing with shield and all, Switch hand hammer and a shield is the way too go. Its about the one time switch-hand is actually better than dual wielding or two-handing.

Arguably, i'd make him either legacy user or arc slayer with dragon carrier B. Which one is main and which one is sub is up to preference.

Hmm, I was thinking Legacy User B / Arc Slayer A and grabbing the Titan Armor as the thing to use.

Dragon Carrier B may also work, too. Could be a madman and do Legacy User B / Dragon Carrier B for all the tanking.

Any combination of those is perfectly viable.

You do realize titan armor is like, just under 15 meters tall right? Get the common talent for it and its over 15 meters.

Just saw the sizes...well, huh. Maybe Dragon Carrier B / Arc Slayer A will do.

What, you don't wanna be a 15+meter tall walking mobile suit with a shield and weapon, wreaking havoc and devastation wherever you walk?

It could work, I'll think about it.

Gonna run the 2nd sample episode...now, what talent to give to the the Modern Wizard preset to cause the most hell for players...

You mean as a boss? Or just a regular godhunter?

As a boss.

Oh. As just a regular godhunter, i was gonna suggest shadowbind from dark hunter B. Nothing more annoying then getting attack blocked

As a boss though, thats an entire nother can o' worms. First, savage divinity. Depending on his starting health, he may just get the effects wholesale.

Soul smash could make someone shit their pants. I suggest targeting a contractor with it if you have one, or anyone thats used crest already.

Indestructible body is hilarious if you have anyone that focus's on shifts.

Massive spirit emission could be hilarious if you have someone that focus' on weapon attacks. Thats it from core, but KA added some for the first expansion so i'll go over those a bit.

Dispersal setup and widen range are great if A) people clump up or B) People stay spread, respectively.

Extra arms/Legs is a wholesale extra attack, so thats terrifying.

Deadly blow is great against contractors.

Basically, it depends on what you are going for. Whats your group like?

Let's see...players are a Legacy User A / Arc Slayer B and a God Hand A/B.

Will be supported by a Legion A/B character, the Dragon Carrier B or Legacy User B / Arc Slayer A carrier I talked about in the thread, and a Digital Sorcerer B / Elder Mage A.

So over all a good mix of ranged and melee, and what sounds like around 5 people.

In that case, Widen range and Savage divinity are my suggestions. For a third, i would suggest either extra arms/legs or arts adaptation from the third book.

Arts adaptation could be really neat if used right, giving the boss one last chance to fuck up a party before it dies.

>third book

First. I'm retarded and should have been asleep hours ago.

Other options are also viable, those just seem like theyd have the most notable effect

Pretty slow

Last bump

So, anyone have some stories from games?

Unfortunately, my GM sorta fucked off, so i don't have anything new. Kamen riders, jojo punching, JUSTICE, etc etc.

I really wanna contribute more on that front, but without a game i can't get stories.

Ain't that the truth.

I wonder if Kamigakari user has some stories...

Well, short of stories, how about a challenge of sorts?

Someone name a series. The next person says what character they'd go, what style's/race's they'd use, and then names another series.

Ideally, post a pic of the character in question as well. If you don't know the series, approximate from a wiki or something.

Starting us off, i'll say Kekkai sensen. Its a recent one with a really diverse power set and likable characters.

Meant to use this picture

Unfortunately I haven't been able to run a lot of Kami. There was a bit of a falling out among my players (or at least, between two of them) and one person left entirely, which fucked the plot in half. So I'm starting over but it hasn't really gotten into the swing things yet.

Current group is playing a ghostbusters-esque style. One of the characters, a Magus Contractor B / Time Wizard B and the Annelidist talent (guess her Contractor type!), comes from a family that has it in their heads to use Aramitama for their own ends. They've developed ways to trap and contain Aramitama, exactly like Ghostbusters. Except it's probably not going to be used for positive ends.

>ghostbusters if one of em was a sociopath

I'd watch it.

>Ghostbusters feat. the Matou family

Someone's getting raped in a pit of worms!

I have a question! Is there anything stopping you from using the Guard talent to take a hit for...yourself?

Not that im aware of, but youd need a specific setup to get anything from it

Oh hey, a new thread. Haven't been around for a while. Did KamiAnon ever get the new translation/fixed translation/whatever finished?

If you mean PDF 2.0, he hasn't said anything new regarding it for a couple threads. That said, he did say he was done with one section or another at some point, so it sounds like its going well.

It took me a while to place this, but isn't that hiko seijuro from rurouni kenshin?

No idea. I always thought it was fanart of Haohmaru from Samurai Showdown.

Google brings up some similar stuff when i search the name, so its safe to say its probably hiko.

Also, the two characters have distinct differences in hair and gloves. Haoh's hair flares out more and his arm bands are red cloth, rather than the japanese style glove in the pic.

Anyone have a good source for Buddhism?
I'd like to make a character who is of this religion.

Unfortunately, best buddhist i got is byakuren from touhou.

Or krillin, but by the time Z hit, most of the religious aspects were gone in favor of the church of "Wait for Goku"

That said, most "Monks" in most fantasy settings are based off buddhist monks anyways, so its pretty easy to find stuff.

I have a question! When you level up, I know you're allowed to replace a talent at an earlier level, so long as you would still have been able to take the new talent at that level. But is there anything stopping you from replacing a talent that's a prerequisite of another talent you also have?

Purely for example, if I take Guard at 1st level, and Dash Guard at 3rd level, and at 4th level I want to trade Guard for something else, do I still technically have the Dash Guard talent despite it now being worthless?

All of that is correct, i think.

Right, all monks are super fit kung-fu fighters with fightin-magic.

So far as pcs go?

Yeah, usually

bBut there is a faith behind all the martial arts and magic.

Yeah? Fairly sure its called buddhism

bump