/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General
This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.
>Previous Thread:
>>???→

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

> Delta Green
mega.nz/#F!wqpgUDyL!Yp2k2Jkw0KVJiT8DLnX2EQ

>AM1200
vimeo.com/102372269
>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't, Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads

Holy shit, a new /ysg/ that's already on page 6?

You disappoint me, Veeky Forums...

:(

I have arrived.

Slow night, eh, /ysg/?

Every night is slow in Carcosa.

DG open question:

Where do you get inspiration on writing new scenarios as a DM? My biggest struggle with CoC and DG in general is my writing, and I think I need help generating original content.

Fuck off, you're the one that keeps making these threads. If there's not enough interest to get a general to autosage, don't repost it when it 404s.

What do you guys think about spending luck? good mechanic?

Are there any scenarios that have Y'Golonac in it?

People seem to enjoy Love's Lonely Child.

Thanks

You mean something akin to fate points? It definitely CAN be a good mechanic, but I'm not sure it's appropriate here. Feels like it would work against the mood.

Rules wise, what are the differences between Delta Green and Call of Cthulhu?

It depends on how you handle it. If it is being spent from a pool of "self benefit" points then I would agree, it doesn't fit.

However, if you are choosing to use good luck at this point at the cost of not having that luck at a later time, causing unforeseen bad luck that is, it could totally fit.

>However, if you are choosing to use good luck at this point at the cost of not having that luck at a later time, causing unforeseen bad luck that is, it could totally fit.
I don't know, I still feel like it would remove some of the tension. Sure, it'll come back to bite you in the ass LATER, but right NOW it means that you don't have to worry as much? That works well in something like Don't Rest Your Head, but it's a different kind of horror.

Combat is smoother, skill levels represent your ability to function in a crisis situation so you have to roll less in general, the sanity system borrows a little bit from Unknown Armies, and there's a whole new set of rules for bonds. Other than that it functions identically to CoC 6e.

I'll have you know it was actually me that created the first dozen or so of these threads. I made that OP image. So don't blame OP there are at least two LovecraftFags on Veeky Forums

Works great in Pulp Games. But thats about it. It can be used to amp up horror if you can get your players to spend it all before the final encounter.

I'm running a superhero RP where everyone is based on some Lovecraft theme or story.

Our speedster is basically a Hound of Tindalos.
The resident Flying Brick is an Anti-Matter Wilbur Whately.
Theres a not so sutble Deep One Aqua-Man and more.

Does anyone here have any fun Mythos inspired superheros / villians? Would love some help brainstorming

Odd to see this here. I watched that being made in person.

Cleaned-up DG ruleset WHEN

Ghouls and shoggies are a fun way to start off.

I would never let it be something that removes real tension. If expending something to improve your potential results/accomplish something at a future, unknown expense removes tension, I don't think it would be hard to get around it in the first place.

From my perspective the cost should always outweigh the benefit of expending something like that. And it isn't hard to find a way to immediately make a player regret the decision if it otherwise killed the mood for the table.

People think they get away from hings all the time in horror.

I like cases where people have become noncorporeal entities or otherwise not "worldly" in form. I built had a character back in my teenaged years which was actually a foot into the 4th dimension and thus became a 3-dimensional shadow. They could enter and exit "real space" allowing them a semi-human form. was hella campy though. Edge up to 11.

Sadly, other than a couple compatriots I can recall mildly, the only Super-related ideas are relegated to an art project with no Mythos implications.

Though, I bet you could Charles Dexter Ward a solid super villain.

>implying I'm the OP and not another Lovecraftfag

Some sort of Colour from Space/Green Lantern mashup maybe?

Genius. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out something for Colour out of Space. I guess that illustrates my affection for the GLC.

A straight up translucent frog man is a large grouping of pink tongues could be fun.

I'm just glad we got the text before the end of the year.

>Cleaned-up DG ruleset
Isn't that the Agent's Handbook? Have the rules been modified somewhere?

What's a good bot for running a game on Discord?

You could have a sentient Shoggoth as a Martian Manhunter stand-in. As for villains, you could have some sort of Gorilla Grodd-type character based on Arthur Jermyn

Or some kind of Black Canary/Erich Zahn mashup. What kind of aesthetic would the game have? Would it be just modern lovecraftian superheros or would it have some Elseworld-style trappings?

What are your favourite settings?
I'm currently partial to modern Canada, but I've been interested in some futuristic gaming of late.

I thought the Tsan-Chan setting was interesting. Way more typos than I was expecting though, but that's just a personal gripe.

Or you could have a moon beast instead of a Shoggoth as a Manhunter character. Oh! and Spider(of Leng)-Man!

Would be interesting to get spooky and lovecraftian on a space station or early settlement on Mars/ Moon. You see weird shit in the corner of your eye, some of the first 100 settlers are behaving erratically sometimes, and the connection to Earth cuts out unexpectedly from time to time. Sometimes something knocks on the steel wall but records show that nobody is outside. Space madness, settlers' blues or something more sinister?

Would ya give a brief summary? A quick Google certainly peaked my interest.

Absolutely! I wrote a short story ages ago about some asteroid miners who answer a distress call in the belt. They've been marooned. Thing is, no one's been "officially" to the belt since the last trip, which ended in disaster.
Always wanted to take the idea and port it to some roleplaying.

Putting it straight up in space, like on a spaceship, is a whole other thing imo.

The first book of Red Mars series had some tense moments where one of the protagonists began noticing signs of unaccounted for people on the colony ship heading to Mars. And after they landed and established the colony, it gets weirder, with a whole group of "illegal" passengers who created a weird cult of planet.

You don't have to go this far, but just being the first settler on Mars, spending your days toiling to build underground bunkers with life support systems for the other 99 or however many first colonists and coming across a human skeleton in some cavern. Or perhaps a sword. Absolute mind fuck.

To my fellow niggers: Where exactly are the Dreamlands located? What are they? Are they a physical place like a planet in the Milky Way or are they a dimension?

Also on some maps both Sarnath and Lomar appear in the Dreamlands, but I thought these two kindoms where on ancient Earth? Are the Dreamlands Ancient Earth then?

Also, can alien beings access the Dreamlands too in their sleep? Are the Dreamlands common to all dreamers or does every world have their version of the Dreamlands?

The stars are right and an alliance of humans, serpent men, and immortal sorcerors carve out a country in future China. It's a rigid caste society under an Eldritch empress with monster nobles and a horrifically mutilated bunch of eunuchs.

I think the latter. The Dreamlands are a dimension parallel to the waking universe and each species has a Dreamland analogue.

So it would be theoretically possible to visit the Dreamlands of another species by somehow traveling to their planets version in this paralel dimension no?

W-why does it say 'Satan' in arabic script in the upper left?
New to Eldritch tabletop. Just a generalized Lovecraftfag.

Had no idea it meant that, probably the guy who put that there is a hack, the creature in the upper left is most likely the King in Yellow of the Prehistoric Monastery in Leng, or maybe Nyarlathotep.

Yep, then you could tunnel into the waking world on an alien planet.

Pretty sure I read something like that in a game called Eldritch Skies. Humans make it to space a la Star Trek and use knowledge and technology to make their way in the Mythos. The madness is caused by hyperspace poisoning and can cause you to develop into monsters, produce a new species, or in severe cases become a Great Old One. The Q role is filled by Nyarlathotep

Well they are both dicks so there's that

>Also on some maps both Sarnath and Lomar appear in the Dreamlands, but I thought these two kindoms where on ancient Earth? Are the Dreamlands Ancient Earth then?

No, Proto-Dreamlands were ancient Earth. Stories like The Doom that Came to Sarnath, The White Ship and The Other Gods were intended to take place in ancient Earth. However later on Lovecraft developed the Dreamlands proper as something else, and that early material became transposed there as well. It's difficult to say what exactly the Dreamlands are. I would go with a planet existing inside the Dream dimension.
Also notice how in the map Leng, and even Tibet appear as locations in the Dreamlands. However, Leng has also been stated to exist on Earth somewhere in the Himalayas, and has also been identified (IIRC) with the Mountains of Madness. Lovecraft almost never dishes out complete and objective knowledge through what his characters learn, so one is free to interpret how the Dreamland-Earth connection works exactly.

I always thought of the Dreamlands as a nexus dimension. That's why Leng exists in multiple places simultaneously and the ghouls can tunnel through space and time

>were intended to take place in ancient Earth. However later on Lovecraft developed the Dreamlands proper as something else
I didn't know this, thanks a lot for this info. Is there any interaction between the two dimensions? Like do things that happen in one happen in the other?

What I mean is: Was all of the Ancient Earth mythos moved to the Dreamlands? Pnakotus, Hyperborea, Polarion, etc?

So, has anyone played Dark Matter, Rolemaster's biospace terror game?

I really like the "colonist terror" sort of thing, but it seems a little obvious to have something a sword. Although for some reason I think that stone tools or maybe some cave paintings would work.
There's lots of ways to take it, that's certain.

Cool! Added to my list of many things.

Ancient Earth is still set before the last ice age in Earth's past, just like Tsan Chan and Zothique are still set in the far future. It's all just different directions of deep time

But how can that be? For example, It i said that the Gnophteks were driven off Hyperborea (supposedly Ancient Earth) to Lomar (Dreamlands). Ancient Earth is either been retconned by DL or I don't get it.

Aliens have their own dreamlands. This is established right in the original story.

I assume it's supposed to represent Azathoth, because he's called the demon sultan.

Might be Yog Sothoth or Nyalarthotep or even just a generic slimy thing to put in the negative space of the map.

First of all, the Mythos is not a coherent setting and was never intended to be. There are complications, contradictions, and potentially things meant to be straight up lies presented to the reader as fact as a result of this. Lovecraft just liked to re-use names and ideas in his stories with maybe a semblance of a general cosmology.

If you really want an explanation, perhaps places were transfigured or superimposed onto the dreamlands from reality or vice versa by mystic energies or by the agency of dreamers themselves. We know the old gods got into our reality through someone's dreams and had to be relatively forcibly sent back, at least if I'm interpreting the end of Dreamquest correctly. That would be why some things carry over or have analogues and other things don't. Perhaps there are places like Leng or Lomar where both dream and real overlap and exist as one.

But that's kind of the point. There is no way a sword, or a human skeleton, would appear on a lifeless planet where you are credibly the first people to set foot upon. It would be like finding a grandfather clock on the dark side of the moon.

Louisiana, the USSR, and Southeast Asia are my usual go-to settings.

I also have a huge soft spot for Cthulhu Dark Ages and I wish people played it more.

I just meant I've seen the skeleton or the sword before, so I'd rather another object. A grandfather clock or a fishing rod, whatever. Something anachronistic that wouldn't necessarily mean human.

The fact that it's human, and in a sense of any other signs of intelligent or even nonintelligent life is what makes it work imo. Say your first colonists on Mars, already tired of their fellow colonists that are the only people they saw in the past 2 years and likely for the next 5 or so, are on the verge of mental breakdown only held back by iron training they received on Earth, and maybe limited supply of drugs. Suddenly you come across a human skeleton, not directly on the surface but in some natural cave system or crevace. There is no atmosphere to speak of but also no sign of protective space suit anywhere. In fact, was the skeleton not present, it would be an ordinary cave just like any other on this planet. You are the first colonist mission to Mars, assembled by a multinational coalition and costing billions in currency. The previous 2 manned missions all returned with full crew. But the skeleton is still there, and with all the limited scientific equipment you have you can tell that yes, it's a skeleton of a homo sapiens, and not a curious rock formation. Combine that with minor unexplainable events like nighttime knocking, perhaps a silhouette of a person Junior Technician Jenkins is swearing he saw last week on the horizon... The whole crew will be going insane and concocting insane conspiracy theories long before shoggoths arrive.

The Dreamlands have an ambiguous relationship with the waking world, and the borders between the two are sometimes thicker or thinner.

I have a Dexter Ward Expy thats basically Batman. He has a poe/raven theme but uses his powers to turn himself to dust and then appear suddenly along with an army of grotesques.

Its modern heroes. It looks just like any superhero setting from the outside but if you get the references it's pretty spooky to realize that the big hero isn't saving mankind because he like them. Its because he want to save them for Yog.

Love the Canary and Grodd ideas.

What about a Glaaki-Solomon Grundy cross? A zombie with spines that makes more zombies

The King in Yellow would be pretty easy to turn into a supervillain too

Question: HPL once wrote a story where Prohibition lasted into the fifties. Could that be worked in in some way to explain high street crime? Also, another idea, a Yithian that changes bodies with a cop at night to study criminals by fighting them. The cop wakes up really tired with no idea why

What about some kind of horrifying K'n-Yan Wonder Woman?

You should read "The Doom That Came to Gotham", it combines Lovecraft and Batman and was written by Mike Mignola