1960's Stargete Setting Idea Powwow

Writing a Alternative Stargate setting and want some ideas/input for you good TGers.

Here are the base rules I set for the Universe:
>Stargate discovered in undisclosed south american location.
>Many years later (1960's) a team is brought in to study the Stargate, discover its purpose, and travel through the gate. This allows the American government to create a foothold off planet.
>Initial themes will look at South American interaction with specifics aliens (instead of Egyptian) but will branch out to new aliens and locations through an adventure and mysticism motif.
>NOT every single culture on earth was influenced by some random alien or another through deity impersonation bullshit

I have the first session semi-designed but outside of that it is all new territory.

What say you all? Alien Species? Exotic Planets? Trippy technologies and artefacts? Crazy conflicts?

It's probably worse if some cultures are influenced by aliens but not all of us. (Also, an advanced species should be able to dominate a planet of primitive screwheads.) The "Ancient Aliens" stuff is mostly fun sci-fi, but it is a little bit racist when it implies that those swarthy fellows who don't come from Europe needed help to build their great monuments.

I was thinking ancient mankind was part of a wider collective using the stargates. Ancient civilisation (Atlantis of whatever) falls and the stargate is forgotten, Earth goes off the galactic grid.

It sounds like you have more extensive notes on this. Maybe just show us what you got and we'll see what ideas come from that?

All I have is the first session rough draft:
>Use the gate to arrive in a jungle planet.
>Heavy rainfall on arrival, cannot see far, they know they are in a complex with aztec/myan design.
>They are being watched. A guardian haunts the site. Stalks the team as they explore. Tension exists as players see evidence of the Guardian.
>Team finds several gate addresses inscribed on the walls, no idea what one is back to earth. Are confronted by the Guardian, has shielding so high velocity projectiles do not work, hand to hand combat ensues.
> As one side gains advantage, a buzzing occurs. Several mechanical beings attack the location (proto-Replicators). Team assists Guardian, they make friends after.
>Big reveal that the guardian is an alien, very small (squirrel size) who controls a its equivalent of mech suit.
>Now players try gate addresses, telegraphing their presence to anyone they dial to. Is earth among the addresses? Is the GM a dick?

>Big reveal that the guardian is an alien, very small (squirrel size) who controls a its equivalent of mech suit.
A Furling?

Nailed it Anons

This is neat. Please give more. I love stargate but am not a huge fan of Egyptian themes. Got a Thing for the whole Mayan "skeletons from beyond the stars" thing?

Here are some ideas:
>The Mayan ball game was supposed to represent gate travel.
>The Anasazi / Pueblo had agoraphobic ancestors who were used to life aboard starships and space stations, hence the cramped cliff caves. Obviously they lost their knowledge but retained the habit.
>The Long Count represents the ayys' schedule for returning to Earth and fucking with the locals
>The ayys considered putting the gate in sub saharan Africa or Australia but the locals were too dumb to enslave.
>Eurasia and North Africa are off limits due to the Asgard or God and the Hosts of Heaven if you want to go full "everything is ayys"

Space wojacks.
>tfw to intelligent to teach humans how to use wheels

And what sort of Mayan angle dya wanna spin?

>Only northern european ancient monuments are stone circles and/or earthworks.
Kinda suggests we were too primitive to manage the more sophisticated construction techniques they taught the others...

>>The ayys considered putting the gate in sub saharan Africa or Australia but the locals were too dumb to enslave.

PolGate

Just to note:
In my timeline there was little alien interference, in fact Mankind was a player on the intergalactic stage. Then the fall and forgetting of the past. Many many thousand of years later the stargate is unearthed. People can run it differently, but I always thought constant direct alien interference in human culture was gay as fuck and a cop out for deeper story telling.

>"skeletons from beyond the stars" thing

Do expand, sounds it can be good or really fucking bad for the adventures.

Initially for the aesthetic. Look of architecture, technology, etc. However as the players move outward different aesthetics will show up.

I feel bad for the teams if that is the case, remember that while the Egyptians were death-obsessed, they weren't douches over it.

The Aztecs believed that the gods required the blood of sacrifices to sustain them, otherwise they wouldn't have the strenght to make the sun rise.

I guess it does bring a better justification for the silly Goa'uld weapons, mesoamerican warfare was centered more around capturing people (for slavery and sacrifice) rather then simply killing as many enemy soldiers as you could.

For a pulp/Indiana Jones bent, the gate was originally discovered by Nazi cells who in 1945 fled Earth through the gate. Their research is useful to understand it, but their own occultist obsession (Perhaps the 'Black Sun' logo actually represents a Gate?) means a lot is misinterpreted.

Does that mean there could be a colony of moon-nazi's tucked away somewhere?

Of course. A group of antagonists of a roughly similar tech level and understanding of the universe as the players will be useful for early sessions, as the group aren't getting thrown in the deep end immediately.

Well, first off. If its set in the 60s then you have to choose which parent organisation SG1 program is under. Because you might not want to put it under the airforce... what if it came under the Rockerfeller Institute, or atleast partly?

Perhaps the Americans found the gate while busting up a post ww2 Nazi group (or pre, whatever). Americans did not know what they had until the PC team is brought in.

Good thing to consider, I plan to leave connections between the team and earth limited at the best of times. However good think about the governments motives and influences on the 'Stargate Matter'

>>Big reveal that the guardian is an alien, very small (squirrel size) who controls a its equivalent of mech suit.

How about it just looks like a human sized squirrel? (may infact have been an uplifted species by the ancient humans). Figure out a personality for it. This could go places.

Those stone circles are pretty absurd feats of construction when you consider where some of the stones were brought from.

Tedd pls.

"WE NEED TO DIAL BACK HOME NOW!"

So i was thinking weapons for the SG1 Team. I sure would love to see them running around with m1 garands from ww2, but that probably isnt going to happen.

The two weapons i recommend are the m16 rifle (first version w/ 20rd mags) and the m1928 tommy gun because lately i have had a fetish for these. The latter i recommend because it comes with a 50rd drum which mimics the P90s 50rd capacity, that they use in the modern timeline.

For players that want to get heavyer weapons there is the M14.

.45ACP and M193 5.56 NATO won't do shit to Jaffa armor per the SG-1 series pilot. They actually would be using something in .30-06 or 7.62x51 NATO in the absence of the P90's AP abilities.

Amazingly i watched the entire series of Atlantis and still didnt know that was the reason.

Except ball 5,56 and ap 5,7 ammo have comparable penetration irl

Not M193, only more recent loadings. Remember, Vietnam era.

What would a Spec-opp/Advanced-scout team load out look like for 60's US military (take your pick on the branch)? Or is this a power question for /k/?

Probably Thomsons or some other SMG, I seem to recal them being quite popular around that time (The area from late/after ww2 while normal rifles where being phased out in favour of assault rifles)

CAR-15 / M2 carbine as rifles, perhaps with (primitive) night scopes
M3 smg, or perhaps UZI
Mk22 "hush puppy" pistols
Plus your usual mix of grenades, first-aid kits, MRE's, backpack radio, etc.

The guardian needs to be a jaguar or a hive of bees. This is non negotiable.

I was thinking the mech suit has a Jaguar design reminiscent of the original movies jackal

Thompsons were dropped in the 50s due to standardizing on 9mm NATO for pistols and SMGs.

Period accurate for spook types would be Swedish Ks and Grease Guns for SMGs.

They may have been dropped in the 50s but this game is in the 50s so i'd say we have our pick of older models aswell as the new stuff being phased in.