How do I into wargaming Veeky Forums? I'm really interested but shit like warhammer 40k makes no fucking sense to me

How do I into wargaming Veeky Forums? I'm really interested but shit like warhammer 40k makes no fucking sense to me

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/40k/warhammer_40000_en.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How does 40K not make sense? Because by wargaming standards 40K is the most retard proof game around really.

if you can't figure out 40k you cant figure out anything. go to a games workshop and ask for a tutorial on how to play.

I've never seen a core rulebook for warhammer, its all been different codexes for armies. Anyways I'm not too into the setting, i'd rather play a war game based on an actual war.

core rules are literally free friendo. also i hate to tell you this but you will be hard pressed to find games if you play anything but 40k or age of sigmar. at least that's the case where i live.
>games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/40k/warhammer_40000_en.pdf

Then go to /hwg/ and pick a period... it's not rocket science.

> Easy to find games with AoS.

Yeah maybe if you live next door to Warhammer World.

The historical wargames general /hwg/ is good if you want historical accuracy, the alternative wargames general /awg/ is good if you want based-on-historical but with giant apenazis or gothic lolipirates fighting deep ones and stuff.

Play Bolt Action the W40k of historicals, in terms of popularity and standardization

Don't into 40k... Start with getting a couple of buddies and get into Frostgrave, or Infinity. Frostgrave is especially fun for small, cheap armies with a low investment.

How do you guys feel about starting out on the cheap? As in, downloading pdfs and using makeshift minis to get a feel for a game, and buying the actual stuff later?

Generally Veeky Forums likes downloading PDFs and dislikes not using minis. Papercraft minis seem to be a grey area.

You don't get the same feel unless you're using actual painted minis.

May as well just play video games otherwise.

Its totally fine, even a good idea to see what you like first. The minis are a symbolic abstraction you can do with just about anything. People play with shotgun shells, paper chits, plastic army men, etc.

People who sunk lots of money in stuff are going to get mad at you tho.

Is it just a collectors thing? Minis look cool and all, but I'd rather play the game than worry about if I'm using the "right" pieces.

Lots of reasons. Collecting, construction, customization, painting and other various arts & crafts related reasons. I love that shit, but don't have time for it as much these days. The tactile aspect is a big deal for some people too, sometimes line of sight is an issue in games but that's easy to sort out.

Its a hobby for most people. As in a fun thing to sink money into with other people. presentation is a big part of it. Looks cool to me, but its not necessary. Some kids playing bolt action with plastic army men in the back yard would be right enough for them.

Recognizing specific pieces is important when there's a lot of variety (ie, not just "archer", "swordsman", "wizard").

And most players invest far more time and effort in modelling and painting than in actual play. I'm sure lots of people will let you play a proxy army to start out with, but the aesthetic quality of two well painted armies facing off is part of the fun.

interesting, i thought it was the other way around. Buying and assembling the minis always seemed like a barrier to overcome to me, but to each his own

i got into warhammer originally not because i wanted to play it but because i wanted to paint the minis.

Find a couple friends that are interested. I started cause a buddy went out and fe'll in love with the orks. I had money to burn at the time and liked the tau, even through they were trash tier at the time. We each agreed to get a starter box and a kit and build up a small force. Got a couple games in and immediately began recruiting. Having a big circle of friends with varied armies makes any war game fun. We would trade armies if we wanted to try out the new hotness, and at home proxy as much as we wanted. My friend had a fucking titan that cost hundreds, while another used a two litre bottle with some straws taped on it.

I would just suggest not getting into it unless you have a couple friends to share it with. Otherwise its all randos, and hoping that they don't suck

IMO most mini war games are pretty mediocre *as games*. It would probably be a forgotten pastime if it weren't for the social and creative outlet it offers.

I think part of it is the game, but part of it is the historical aspect. I've had an interest in history lately and all of my DnD/rpg experience has kind of led me to this point (i mean, DnD was born out of a guy who was OBSESSED with historical wargaming)

In what sense does 40k make no sense?
if its rules-wise? 40k is absolute cancer
IMPO id go for saga for the Rules simplicity (easy to learn difficult to master) as well as being fairly cheap all round (low model count, not much terrain, etc)
for a more varied game i'd reccomend bolt action. Rules are far better than 40k, and the game feels very much like company of heroes on the table, there is however more effort put into it

Probably the best way is to find a game system that interests u and watch How to play videos on youtube. plenty of those there, of varying quality ofc

I always download rules to try them, and if I like them at all after playing, I buy them, preferably in hard copy.

I have lots of miniatures to play pretty much any game with, but if you're really starting from scratch, paper minis or wood blocks will work for the time being.

If you want a really simple and free introduction to the hobby, check out One Page Rules. They make very simplified versions of some popular games.

I just finished building an army of US Marines for the game Bolt Action, which probably took me in the neighbourhood of 60 hours. I've played three games and I don't even like the game very much desu. But the modelling is super fun.

Just play historical games.

Extremely cheap to get into and quite fun once you get into it.

I'd recommend you play Dust, but Paolo Parente is a whiny bitch who doesn't deserve your money.