What's the worst setting and why is it steampunk?

What's the worst setting and why is it steampunk?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/141658446/digitsole-smartshoe-the-worlds-first-intelligent-s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it has been overused to the point of obnoxiousness. As with any setting that has been overused and made popular among the masses, there will be a considerable glut of material; much of which is mediocre at best.
That is why it is the "worst" setting.
Well, that and the British Accents.

Gears, british accents, and top hats, do not constitute a "Setting"

Are there even any good steampunk table top games? I only ever see it come up in LARPing and occasionally vidya.

why is slapping gears, cogs, and steam powered stuff "bad"?

the argument that too many people do it wrong doesnt inherently make it worse, and reeks of "i hate popular things"

you could say that its often disjointed from reality, but not including the "punk" and going solely for aesthethic is hardly bad, people just like the look of brass on everything

there is no worst setting

>steampunk
That's a weird way to spell Krynn.

read that as "british scents" at first and I was genuinely terrified

Because 100% of steampunk fans don't understand anything about how steam systems work.
>t. steam engineer 1st class

>Gears, british accents, and top hats, do not constitute a "Setting"

duh, that's why they also have goggles. moron.

Modern urban cities.

Not enough steam, not enough punk. Steampunk power, both metaphorical and literal, just comes from thin air rather than from burning coal and human toil. As much as I hate to admit it, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate at least tried to get the themes of technological advancement and sociopolitical fuckery in, but it was still /v/.

>gears on keys

Minoi tho

wait, wait, wait. hear me out, what if we took the modern urban setting...and added werewolves[\spoiler]

No, it's bad because it results in this kind of abomination of fashion. Mainstream steampunk pretends to be all underground, weird, and creative when really it's on the same level as modern art or high fashion: all form, no function, no thought.

is that made from a bathroom rug?

My goddamn bad, sempai. I fucked up.

I don't dislike steam punk as a setting. I'm more annoyed by lazy renfair level cosplays by land whales using bad accents. But the idea of Victorian era adventure in airships fighting sky pirates and exploring jungles and raiding dessert tombs all Jules Vern style sounds like fun. I just don't feel like dressing up in that crap.

Cyberpunk. because at this point it's just a grimdark version of real life.

When will this meme end?

It's not, you just want to use Veeky Forums as a soap box and make a 'so controversial' post, even using a picture that comes from a video that is making fun of gluing cogs and gears on shit.

And do you know why? Because you're a pathetic loser who can only make threads like this because it's the closest thing you can get to having friends in real life.

Stop shitposting you fucking faggot. This is not your echo chamber.

the meme will get more and more powerful with each passing decade.

>not Black Tokyo
>not Furry Pirates
>not Wraeththu
>not Cthulthutech past the core book and first expansion
>not Cyberworld
>not Eoris
>not FATAL
>not Haven: City of Violence
>not that one RPG with the Mary Sue wizard god and invincible crabs

If you'd stop being an unoriginal memeing fuck for 10 seconds OP maybe we could have a fun thread about actual bad settings. Fuck, we could talk about rad bed settings like World of Synnibar instead of reheating a this stale thread for the thousandth time.

>not that one RPG with the Mary Sue wizard god and invincible crabs

Who?

Pic related

>can't just BE ancient Greece, has to be slightly different
>but also Percy Jackson is the only thing we actually know about ancient Greece, let's just copy paste from wikipedia and change up names.

I'm blanking on the name and it's going to bug the shit out of me. I just remember a few odd details like the wizard god guy would scatter your atoms all over the universe and put you back together if you fucked with him and that parts of the population would disappear during some sort of weird dragon mating period.

It was something to the degree of Realms of ___ or Legends of ____ I think.

>No, it's bad because it results in this kind of abomination of fashion. Mainstream steampunk pretends to be all underground, weird, and creative when really it's on the same level as modern art or high fashion: all form, no function, no thought.

>the argument that too many people do it wrong doesnt inherently make it worse, and reeks of "i hate popular things"

I had a dream a week ago that I want to run as a campaign.

The most concise way I can describe it is post pseudo-apocalypse Victorian Ghostbusters.

In this case I hate a popular thing because it's popular to do it badly, not because it is popular. I actually love steampunk done right.

I don't quite think it classifies as the 'worst' setting, not by far, but I do agree with you that WotC has really gotten dull with the torrent of "fantasy [insert civilization here]" settings. It feels like whatever creativity the franchise has is coming purely from the artists at this point.

>In this case I hate a popular thing because it's popular to do it badly
But that's everything popular, because most people aren't good at things. Doubly so for anything with a seemingly simple shtick to it. Look at all the awful retroclones that come out on a seemingly daily basis.

That sounds neat, user. Details?

True. I only really put it up, since it's just the least inspired, outside of shit like the alpha and early Zendikar.

Classic fantasy is the worst setting. The races are obnoxious, the villains are obnoxious, and pretty much everything under the sun is obnoxious. All of this is beside the fact that everything in every classic fantasy setting in horrendously overused and cliche.

In brief, a global event occurred called the Animus Cataclysm. Entire countries were depleted, natural environments up heaved and turned "other" and spirits of living things going back centuries roamed free.

I was member of an occult investigation firm called Peabody, Martin, and Dark that would be hired to check out old cities, factories, and other sites for human reclamation as well as deal with domestic spooks and other things that went bump in the night.

Sometimes, if a local spirit was benevolent, we could garner some knowledge about many hidden or lost things unique to a haunted zone and do some archaeology/treasure hunting on the side. Other times we had to confront and exorcize malevolent spirits and poltergeists from an area so it could be reclaimed or, if things were really bad, mark out an exclusion zone. This was procedure in areas heavily tainted by the Fade (a corrupting force from ancient spirits trying to force their way back into living things).

The team comprised of myself and two other gentlemen, some technowobbits, and occasionally a young teenage girl who was a gifted medium but prone to fright.

The last thing I remember from the dream was boarding one of the few trains that passed through the Iron Wastes after investigating and old machine factory. I woke up before I could enjoy the cheesecake I had ordered in the dining car.

Everyone talks about shitty steampunk, what about good steampunk?

>wears some generic victorian stuff with goggles and claims it's 'steampunk'
>doesn't actually know anything about the victorian era
>listens to electro-swing and chap-hop
>wants to tell you about their latest Arcanum playthrough
>pretends League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a good movie
>the word "steam-sona"
>pic fucking related
They're the only people I hate more than weebs.

THAT GEAR ISN'T EVEN ATTACHED TO ANYTHING WHAT THE FUCK

Morrowind?

8.5/10 would play

Any idea what system you'd use to run it?

>he thinks gears have to do something in cogfop
They're just for decoration, purely ornamental. Nothing that actually works uses gears or cogs.

Electro-swing is a perfectly fine genre of music. It just doesn't have jack shit to do with steampunk.

Well thats because it really has no identity as a theme or setting. Take cyberpunk, its about the lower dregs of society rebelling against 'the man' and dealing with concepts relating to the IT revolution, corporatism and class warfare.

Steampunk should reflect its time period too, but it doesn't include any class warfare of any kind nor does it address Aristocracy vs the new middle class or the rapidly new technology that improves production of goods and services or even the human cost of unregulated and new unregulated capitalistic business that have no safeguards for workers that we enjoy massively in 1st world countries [that cyberpunk degenerates because of unregulated corporatism].

What I'm saying is.

People suck at writing steampunk because they don't understand the Victorian era

Unsure.
A modified Shadowrun may suit it though.

Honestly, I feel you'd have to modify Shadowrun to the point that it's no longer worth it. You'd have to cut out large chunks of the game (riggers, deckers), and the combat rules are so clearly meant for modern/near future weaponry. This is the kind of thing generic systems were invented for. Fate, GURPS, Savage Worlds, and BRP would all do well here, depending on what kind of campaign and tone you were going for.

I don't know what this is but I dig the idea of the gods just hanging out in the mortal realm where any schmuck can wonder up on them

That was pretty dull, tbqh. Might have worked better as a series.

>steampunk
that's an awfully funny way to spell Forgotten Realms and Great Wheel

Yeah, steampunk isn't a setting but an aesthetic. And that aesthetic easily devolves to cogfop.

>why is slapping gears, cogs, and steam powered stuff "bad"?
Because gears, cogs and steampowere are slapped on things that don't need them. Case in point, the infamous cogged top hats. How does that make sense within that universe? That's the early modern equivalent of strapping a smartphone to your sneakers.

Because 'punk' is lost in it

Is this screenshot from the upcoming Paradox game?

Because it lacks dynamite cannons compressed by steam engines, franksteinian abominations with girandoni rifles, social opression enforced by clockwork computers and panopticon architecture.

You know, actual "steam" and "punk". Technology becoming more important than people.

>upcoming Paradox game
Don't be stupid user. Paradox' model is "why sell a new game when you can sell more DLC?". This is a screenshot from the upcoming HoI4 DLC: Furries and Führers.

What's the best setting and why is it Council of Wyrms?
Seriously, though. I'd pay good money for a faithful conversion to Pathfinder rules.

Maybe it's just a handy way to carry spare parts

This. Love me some electro-swing, could do without steampunk. Electroswing is much more heavily associated with 1920s to 1940s aesthetics, whereas steampunk is 1860s shit.

It would be neat to have a story that takes place in a 20s aesthetic area with futuristic technology.

Malifaux is a pretty awesome setting, probably because the STEEEAAAM!!!¡¡¡ and COOOOOGGGS!!!¡¡¡ is such a minimal part, it moreso plays up the victorian, horror, and lovecraftian aspects. To top it off you have actual punk aspects like the Arcanists are a union front that "promotes" the working man (mostly just a front for the mob) and they're willing to do all the evil shit you hear about from 1800s unions to get their ways, the establishment are called the Guild they control magic and are dirtbags who are just trying to exploit Malifaux for as much profit as they can, the Ressurrectionists are necromamcers who (for the most part) don't give a shit about the lives they take, the Neverborn (think old school fae crossed with lovecraft, demons, and childrens toys) just want the damned humans off their land, the outcasts are mercs or people when the other factions won't work with like Hamelin the Pied Piper and Physical manifestation of plague, the 10 Thunders are the triads of the Three Kingdoms (Japan, Korea, China) and weeaboo faction that have managed to infiltrate every other faction (except for the Neverborn who moreso infiltrated them), and the Gremlins who are also native inhabitants of Malifaux but these guys are stupid red neck goblins with a hankering for moonshine guns and an attitude of carelessness when it comes to life and death

So, the same problems in modern cyberpunk settings?

It has nothing going for it aside from looks. It lacks a world outside of England.

Because it is used as a excuse for a lack of creativity in every domain.
It's sucks, but IT'S STEAMPUNK GUYS

Any x-punk setting because they all miss the point.
They think by putting an excessive focus on something (diesel, steam, bio, whatever) that it's x-punk, when the entire idea of an x-punk setting is the proliferation of a certain type of tech combined with a lowlife existence. That's the motto of cyberpunk: High tech, low life.
I've yet to see a single memepunk setting that wasn't just in it for the aesthetic.

The Leviathan Series, puts german mechs against british bioengineering in WWI

wut?

That's called Dieselpunk, and It is the Patrician's punk

The focus of whatever-punk is not the technology, but he effects that it has on society and the lives of people. Essentially, the main theme is not aesthetics but class struggle. That's why all good cyberpunk is about social outcasts fighting the "man".

Except of course post-cyberpunk which is more about an insiders complex relationship with a more abstract notion of "the man" or rather "societal strcture", as well as a greater emphasis on technology's amoral nature rather than cyberpunk which often has a tendency to paint it as immoral even if unintentionally.

Was it Realms of Atlantasia or some shit like that?

It's going to get worse and worse as long as Trump is president.

Oh shit guys. Something political.
Abandon thread

Or just ignore the fucker, but come on, that never happens

Space: 1889 is pretty good, steampunk IN SPACE

That's the one. Something about the author's shitty self-insert.

That's actually not a bad fursuit, as far as fursuits go. It doesn't look like a hitty mascot costume or something from DeviantArt, it just looks like a physical effect from a low-budget monster movie.

Hell, it looks BETTER than the werewolf makeup in most low-budget horror movies.

>>not Cyberworld
>>not Eoris
Hang on, what's wrong with those two apart from Eoris being really difficult to get into?

For me? Probably feudal japan, steampunk has rare exceptions like arcanum or dishonored that make use of the setting very well whereas setting a game in Japan is more often than not just an excuse for the developers to jerk themselves off about how cool katanas are

Savage Worlds and its Rippers setting book is what you're looking for, friend.

>there is no worst setting

I beg to fucking differ.

Is it that setting where thousand people die every month during dragon mating?

>That's the early modern equivalent of strapping a smartphone to your sneakers.

kickstarter.com/projects/141658446/digitsole-smartshoe-the-worlds-first-intelligent-s

This guy gets it. I like Dieselpunk in either the pulp-novel "exploration of a wondrous new world, uncharted and fraught with peril" or "Full on Detective Time" senses. Also, something more Cold-war 60s-ish.

>No necropunk setting where everything is corpses.

A horrific, rotting version of biopunk?

Think realm of nurgle, but there's room for bodies, bone sculptures, buildings built as varied burial houses of the dead, and mixtures of egyptian, victorian and dark afes esque burials, with catacombs galore and concentrated populaces of undead, gothic humans, and all-sworts of depressing races.

Seconded, it's already victorian to the point where you're at risk of being slapped by a cop if you're a woman. Its got ripper tech, which is one refluffing away from only being partially steam punk already.

nothing wrong with purely-aesthethic punk

i actually prefer to leave the baggage of "punk" and just use all the cool looking stuff as a dressing for my own plots

Where's my implanted and directly interfaced cyberdeck then ?

What's wrong with Cthulhutech? It seemed like an awesome setting

The rape, the rape, also the rape. Oh and one of the races is essentially space drow.

Really though, the system itself is the worst part.

mmm baby talk dirty to me

I like steampunk, but it's almost normie tier and faggots are ruining it. There's a small replica store near where I live and they've got a steam punk section, and it's all faggy noble clothes with gears on it, brass colors, and for some reason tentlces.

I'm more interested in the idea of steam evolving and airships, not fashion. It doesn't even make sense. I don't go around with various car parts or computer components stapled to my shirt.

Post-apocalyptic settings that are just blatant Fallout knock-offs
Post-nuclear is so overdone.

>Necropunk
>Everything has gone to shit, the world is already dead, all powerful megaliches run the world and the best you can hope for is to escape the system by killing your near-god-creator which will also kill a large percentage of the remaining population
I can dig it.

That shit sounds radical.

>""""""""""""""British"""""""""""" Accents.
I hate you both, so much.

Because it was co-opted for its aesthetics

it used to be low fantasy where mechanics and industrial age thinking and innovation were the driving forces for change and a what if, if some of the more insane ideas of the day actually worked.

but now its all about electricity guns that look like they're made of gears and computers and shit and future tech that just looks like its made of brass and pipes and its more high fantasy than old industrial revolution. And it really became popular as a fashion and window dressing setting than what it was originally. which is annoying to me. If there's an electricity gun it should be a massive construct super weapon, probably built into an ironclad, not a man portable device. a computer should be the size of building with tons of whiring gears, not a pocket watch sized mechanism. its too much high fantasy for me.

but whatever i don't shit on people for liking it and i'll join a campaign in a setting like that since i love the historical period enough to want to make a fitting character.

I should also mention i prefer steam punk settings that don't have magic or where magic and technology can't be mixed.

>make a joke about how you Carnot get this steam engine working.
>everyone blinks.

>Furry Pirates

>That's actually not a bad fursuit
>not a bad fursuit
>not bad
>fursuit

>fursuit
>anything other than bad
Pick one.

As though furries needed any more excuses to gather a poop-deck full of seamen take an old hand up the windward passage.

>When you first get that whiff of boiled cabbage, alcoholism and poverty