Cyberpunk characters

Cyberpunk characters

you know i just realized something, i think overwatch is cyberpunk. it's also sort of mixed with superhero themes, but on the whole, it's cyberpunk.

Yeah, it undeniably is cyberpunk.

This is only just occurring to you?

How many swords does a guy need

Probably more than he has.

That shit is cool, is that from a manga or a comic book or something?

No, just random art by a guy on DA. Check filename.

So what's the best rules-light system to run these bitchin' characters in?

I disagree. Sure, the tech level is on par with most cyberpunk settings, and it has *some* aesthetic similarities, but the tone is way off.

You are extremely incorrect. Don't be one of those people who label everything as cyberpunk.

>robot uprising
>cybernetically and technologically enhanced individuals take it down
>government outlaws them
>robots exist, and racism themes abound against AI
>technologically and cybernetically enhanced individuals continue to operate outside of the law
>not cyberpunk
You sure?

It has SOME Cyberpunk stuff but over all Overwatch is straight up comicbooks.

The tone of it is not cyberpunk, the world is not cyberpunk, the aesthetic is not cyberpunk, and robots are very rarely seen in cyberpunk settings to begin with. Also racism themes are hardly a staple of cyberpunk, the shitty new Doo Sex notwithstanding.

>The tone of it is not cyberpunk
Cyberpunk tone varies wildly. But I will agree the tone leans a little more toward superheroes, but cyberpunk superheroes
>the world is not cyberpunk, the aesthetic is not cyberpunk
Except it is. Cybertech, robots, heroes operating outside the law , fucking neon everywhere
>and robots are very rarely seen in cyberpunk settings to begin with
Um, what? Really? Robots are fucking everywhere in cyberpunk. It's a common theme. The whole 'what constitutes life' is a regularly used subject in cyberpunk
>Also racism themes are hardly a staple of cyberpunk
Never said they were, but are a common element. With all the rest of the stuff that fits overwatch and cyberpunk, this just drives the nail in further.

Look, the truth is there really is no definitive definition on what exactly cyberpunk is. But in overwatch I see enough common elements with other cyberpunk to be able to say it IS cyberpunk. Just because it also shares a theme with superheroes, does not make it any less cyberpunk.

It's a samurai thing, it means he's bested at least four other embarrassing weeaboos running loose in the future.

By those criteria Star Wars would also be cyberpunk. Like I said, the *tone* is wrong.

The problem is the 'punk' part. Most of the time, the characters in a cyberpunk should be operating outside of the law because they are under the system; In Overwatch, the heroes work above or with the system. Many of them have profited or gained their powers by working with governments, scientists, and the organizations that follow.

If it was going to be a true cyber-*punk* story, then there should be a lot more alienation and discarding of the main characters, who would then struggle to do right regardless of a world that shits on them just for existing.

TL:DR: Overwatch's main themes are those of compassion, people coming together to do better, and integration. It's a hopeful series. Cyberpunk's main and core philosophies are alienation and feelings of resentment towards a world that's discarded you, either for reasons good, bad, or in between. Despite the artistic similarities, in terms of themes and tone and the meaning behind those artistic choices are greatly conflicting with the cyberpunk style.

>Um, what? Really? Robots are fucking everywhere in cyberpunk. It's a common theme. The whole 'what constitutes life' is a regularly used subject in cyberpunk
Cyberpunk 2020, Hardwired, Neuromancer, When Gravity Fails, Johnny Mnemonic, Cyberworld, the list goes on and on.

>Look, the truth is there really is no definitive definition on what exactly cyberpunk is
Yes there is you pretentious prick. It's a dystopian science fiction genre that was popular around the end of the cold war depicting inadequate national governments, disregard for the planet, the rise of multinational corporations which break trust laws like mad cunts, and the modification of oneself for both recreational and occupational purposes. The tone of cyberpunk is nihilistic and often brutal, often showing the degradation of human society after some sort of collapse (World War 3 in Neuromancer, the Rock War in Hardwired, an economic crisis in 2020, etc).

With superheroes, but yeah it's pretty much cyberpunk.

Overwatch is really, really, really, really not Cyberpunk. For one the world is far from a dysotopia despite the fact it needs heroes. Cyberpunk is about the age old human problems of poverty, pollution, and corporate greed. It's protagonists are typically not very heroic.

Overwatch is futuristic pulp superheroes.

Face reminds me of Michael from Burn Notice

Most of the "good" heroes are still operating outside the law, trying to do right in a grey world, even the ones "bringing the band back together" are doing it without Overwatch formally existing.
For the less heroic characters a fair few are simply wandering badasses, you've got a range of criminals, and the "bad guys" are part of a shadowy crime syndicate or black ops force. And at least one is a megacorp employee.

Sure, a lot of them used to be "the system", but that's not unknown in cyberpunk guys.

I mean, it's still very shiny and is clearly a superhero game, and I'd say you're right about the hopeful attitude, but cyberpunk is certainly a strong influence on a lot of the background and characters.

Actually, now that I think about it, who in overwatch wouldn't make a good cyberpunk character with minimal tweaking?

they could be MADE into cyberpunk characters yes, hell I've made Soldier 76 into a Shadowrun character

>Shadowrun
>Cyberpunk
Nice try

Since 1981, influenced many known characters but she is unknown to many besides few Gibson fans.

Yeah, that's what I was meaning - almost all of them wouldn't stand out particularly if you introduced them in a cyberpunk game - Reaper, Tracer, Winston and Reinhardt (and maybe the robots) would require the most adaption, given that they're all pretty out-there and kinda snowflake-y, but the likes of Sombra and 76 could be direct transplants from pretty much any cyberpunk universe

How far in the future does something have to be to be traditionally considered cyberpunk? I was playing Watch Dogs 2, I realized that it was more or less cyberpunk.

You got your gangs of militarized hackers 3D printing their own weapons and manipulating the city via a digital infrastructure which is shockingly too easy to break into.

You got your powerful corporations aiming to manipulate the populace through less than ethical methods using advanced algorithms and coercing politicians.

All that was stopping it from being generally considered cyber punk was the lack of wide spread technological body augmentation.

That and the armed giant robot spiders still only being in the prototyping phase.

No

Honestly, if a team member is as smart of Micheal from Burn Notice, thats fine by me instead of the stupid mouth breathers I get stuck with.

I am really digging this cyberpunk style. Guy really gets it. Thanks for posting.

Grineer?

First posts in thread is reason cyberpunk is dead.
>Muhboobs
>Grrrls with big guns/gear
>Overwatch is cyberpunk
>Sideboob portraits
>Naked oiled mystery girls
>samurai girls xD
>Hoodies

Rest in peace.

PS. Where's the synth-loli-with-minigun cliché pictures ? You guys are slacking.

This.

>/25/17(Tue)21:16:03 No.54527363 ▶
>File: 149758018036
If anything, it's more of a post-cyberpunk, like Ghost in the Shell. There are megacorps and large technologically enhanced governments, but the tone is that the system isn't evil, there are just dissident elements and internal corruptions. The heroes are within the system, and they fight enemies inside and out.

Best waifu

>ghost in the shell
>post cyberpunk
>the govt and corporations aren't evil

user...

Look, Overwatch isn't cyberpunk. It completely lacks grit, any trans-human questions

>any trans-human questions
That wasn't a part of cyberpunk as a genre.

Well, there is the child hacker/soldier Sombra. But that's about it.

GitS is literally the definition of post-cyberpunk.

>one of Neuromancers protagonists is an AI that becomes god
>no transhuman issues

user pls

But that's not a transhuman issue. It never gives transhuman questions, it gives questions of technology advancing far faster than humans can comprehend. It's based off the concept of futureshock, and Neuromancer+Wintermute is a personification of technology outrunning humanity.

And how is technology surpassing humanity not transhuman

The main plot of the game is about robots struggling to exist as people.

How is that not a Transhuman problem? Fundamentally.

Well, there's also stuff like the guy who's maybe alive as a program and Case getting sucked into Wintermutes cyber paradise and contending with the fact it isn't real.

>The main plot of the game is about robots struggling to exist as people.
No, it's about them seeking equality and rights. The Omnics don't want to be human. They want to live alongside humans.

Because transhuman themes deal with self, sapience, the meaning of "human," etc.

Neither of those are transhuman in theme. The flatline (The program guy) isn't a matter of transhumanism but rather exploring themes of what it means to be alive (His entire thing is based on the philosophy of being a different person every time you wake up).

Sprawl is pretty good, if you are ok with PBTA games.

It's very lethal though, unless you are a Milspec (Move) Killer (Archetype). Then you can go through minions like candy.

>samurai girls xD

How is 'Street Samurai' not cyberpunk?

>any trans-human questions

You mean the guy that had a complete mental breakdown when he was rebuilt as weeaboo robocop? It took him several years of help with robo-jesus to get him mentally stable.

It's cyberpunk painted with brighter colours.

Oh sorry, is it nor Blade Runner enough for you?

No