Vampire, Zombie, Werewolf and ?????

If you had to invent a completely new monster that would fall in the same category as Vampires, Zombies and Werewolves what would it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie#Folk_beliefs
youtube.com/watch?v=XFYWazblaUA
youtube.com/watch?v=nteAngt8ohY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

vambiewolves

Ghosts are criminally underused.

and which category is that?

And what "category" exactly do Vampires, Werewolfs, and Zombies share OP?

Halloween cliches? Hollywood knockoffs?

Mummy.

Magical sexy undead fox girl.

As it - mindless monster that can turn victims into their kind? Mormon.

so
> associated with undeath and disease
> changes or mutates victim
> reproduces by infecting someone else

Magic says the answer is ghost.
Followed by pseudo-Lovecraftian horror

Cursed half spirit. Sort of like a ghost, but not quite.

This is from Call of Cthulhu. These are all classified as "Non-Mythos Threats" same section as bears, alligators, and snakes.

Giggal, humanoid creatures that arise from mass graves. People in areas pages by giggal sightings bury their dead with their hands tied behind their back to keep the dead from seeking each other out and joining together.

in that case a biker gang fits the same category

This post reeks of reddit

Shouldn't there be a mormon prohibition against using Veeky Forums?

For example they both appear in modern and in medieval settings. They are more on the horror then fantasy side of the spectra, they all are derivative from humans with few changes and often attributed to a disease.

Gill Men

As far as classic monsters go, even mummies get more love than Gill Men.

>in the same category
It's sort of a broad category. Could you be more specific?

Mormon undead sexy fox girl.

You if you agree to have sex with one of them you turn into one of them... Wait they are mormons it doesn't work...

So like an undead ghost, as opposed to a normal dead ghost. Probably fading more over time until there's no going back. They desperately cling to life, causing harm and sometimes dragging others down with them.

The odd one out to me is zombie, because they're often depicted as mindless corpse puppets, as opposed to being a twisted version of an individual. Well, usually. There are some notable exceptions to that.

But they also have massive folkloric components to them. It's hard to just make something like that up out of thin air.

followed by angels.

I find the angel addition pure genius

like a 40% spirit right? A serious problem in old slavic countries. Can easily muddle the minds of men.

he is just a slow lizardman. What makes him better?

Mere gift-wrapped zombies.

does zombies have folklore components?

Gills and provenance.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie#Folk_beliefs

In the voodoo sense, sure.

I would have gone with werewolf as it's the only non undead.
Zombies do have a lot if folklore, it's just mostly developed in modern times.

picrelated was a good take on the Gill Man but he was no real horror material.

Hawai and African stuff. Folk tradition have effect if you grew with them. If you hear about them in later age it the same as a totaly invented one

There's this new definitely not an Abe Sapien origin story gill man movie coming out soon. It seems like it's shaping up to be more of a weird love story than a horror movie though.

Yeah, like a phantom person. Not quite dead, but not alive. There and yet not. And drawing misfortune from the spirit world everywhere they go. That sort of cursed inhuman existence.

Why do they always ape the old design, instead of going something more deep sea or horror related?

Well, because neither of those are horror movie characters.

There's a gillman in Monster Squad and he's a bit more snaggletoothed and inhuman.

If I could retroactively make one, it'd be the Aufhocker; they're basically shapeshifting neck rippers with effectively no obvious weaknesses. I want to say they were one of the spiritual predecessors to both vampires and werewolves in the germanic region, but I'm not certain.

If we're going retroactively, I want to claim Wendigos.

Everyone jumped on ghosts and gillmen, but the obvious answer is Golem.

Yeah, I don't know why this thread became about gillmen. I was thinking more in the direction of folklore and shit, not hollywood monsters.

Lmao the fuck is with that big lenny lookin werewolf

The Blob.

Witchalocks.

Fungiman

I just imagine the artist was racking his brain on how to make a werewolf a skeleton, but gave up leaving that weird thing

a dark spin on satyrs being shib niggurat/demon worshippers is nice.
They increase their numbers trhough sex.

What about a blackula?
They're totally different to vampires.

Personally, I feel Wights are superior to Zombies in terms of filling a horror niche, one Wight can be a threat to an entire region, and unless it's contagious and a pandemic to build momentum, one Zombie is no worse than a cannibalistic drunk.

Get back to /pol/
Everyone is fed up with you damn wight supremacists.

>amofur
whenever you got to remember something and it's gone; amofur
walk into a room and can't remember what you went in for; amofur
dementia; amofur
>what's it look like?
pretends to be a family pet
next time you think your cat is acting weird; amofur

symptoms include dreams about your teeth falling out

well that's what I've got on short notice

I can dig it. reminds me ofyoutube.com/watch?v=nteAngt8ohY

Some sort of mosquito that sucks the marrow out of your bones. They kidnap naughty boys and girls and take them to their rape dungeons where they will constantly suck on their bones with their proboscis until their target dies(their saliva is mildly anesthetic and antibiotic so this process usually lasts months). Or implant eggs and have them devour the host from the inside.

Elf.

Dracula's soul brotha is deadlier even than he.

foxgirls a shit

Something to do with ash. Like undead that only arise from people who were unjustly burned to death.

They infect other people by [insert physical contact here] who then slowly waste away as if they were burned alive in slow time. Like their skin slowly flakes away as ash until they're just a pile, then they reanimate

Body snatchers

5/6 of those are just some variant on 'undead'.

I think I got it!

But in a less wanky sense, I do think the Xenomorph has all the traits of a New Iconic Movie Monster, it just has a weird specificity to it. What with having its own setting and whatnot.

Well good news! The gill man is about to get a lot of love in the upcoming supernatural romance adaptation.

Honestly seems pretty cool.

"spooky acquired template".

I invent the lich. Or perhaps wight or ghoul.

It's Draculas, Wolfmans and Frankensteins you scrub

A fungus that feeds on magic and desires connectivity. It forms a hive mind for its victims. Once the infection takes hold you experience ego death and seek out magical sources (usually leylines) and root and release spores to find other colonies and more people. It can transfer magical essence out to further members through the mass thoughts of the hive mind who lays in a continual dream.

credit to for making a unique and pretty creepy one.
But yeah the germanics had a ton of time on their hands so even something like 'Something replaced my dog and is eating my mind' has probably got a tale about it somwhere previously.

For moderntek, maybe something that lives behind screens and craves your attention, and is able to make you forget about sleep or food as long as it can keep you looking at it.
Most of them are smart enough to let you go after a while which is why people get depressed and listless after playing too much of a game or back-to-backing a series, but the young ones are too hungry and can and will starve someone to death without compunction.

Pre-Romero they were mostly voodoo trance slave people. The living dead franchise introduced the concept of "shambling corpses that cannibalise the living" to the mainstream media (some hipster faggot will probably cite some indie film that five people saw as the real introduction)

I dunno maybe Slashers? Some Jason or Leatherface type fuckers

Do you mean a completely new, as in without folklore precedent?

If not, I'd say revenants. They're undead who are resurrected to right a wrong or enact vengeance. You can have the same sort of existentialist horror that you have with vampires and werewolves, with both being applicable in medieval and modern settings.

I never quite get why skeletons and your usual fantasy zombies are considered separate monsters. They're the same thing in different states of decomposition.

Fairies.

They have some solid core concepts, identities, rules, powers, weaknesses, that can all be changed but still leave them as fairies.They can terrify and have allure.

So, Abraham Sapien is getting a prequel. Sweet i love Hellboy

Plus lot of people are afraid their contact can turn you into one.

I guess skeletons can't self-proliferate.
Plus I guess somehow they're usually more dexterous.

I really wish those films had become a franchise.

Yeah modern unexplored theme is memetic magic.

And I mean it in the SCP way. Stuff that dletes itself from your mind as soon as you see it. Stuff that requires your constant attention. Stuff that possess anyone who knows its name or its form.

Urge to replay Monster Bash on Arcade Pinball rising...

Some of the other French edition CoC illustrations are pretty boss.

Take this Dagon and Hydra depiction for instance.

Demon/possessed person

Hordes of spiders who wear human skinsuits who bite people and turn them into hordes of spiders.

Hm. Interesting.

Vampires, Zombies and Werewolves all represent both fears of humans and some basic instinct.

Angels can also said be same thing if done right. It actually is genius.

so, to summarize:
- has disease characteristics
- transmission vector is bodily fluids, through bite - oral component
- human host
- transformation into a new creature, either temporary or permanent
- against natural order of things - undead, human/animal hybrid
- compelled or doomed to spread the condition
- connotations with sin or curse - bite is often considered erotic, zombie breaks the taboo of cannibalism
- weakness - sunlight, silver, mindlessness

maybe some kind of witch that steals youth through a kiss?

>connotations with sin or curse
May be cliche, but you could do a cursed monster for each deadly sin.
Though vampire can easily be any of them already.

Ghosts, any sort of non-corporeal entity which can and/or must possess something. The death cloud for example would be like mustard gas with a will of its own, but it might apply to "demons" taking over people and poltergheists manifesting upon buildings.

Sort of have one of those in my setting; they're a kind of undead, product of a magically cultivated plague, that results in the affected falling into a cataleptic status.
First stage of the infection is like having a fever that reaches its climax in around a week after contagion; second stage is coma, followed by reawakening after 24 hours or so. Change takes places on the third stage, in which the infected awake from their coma into a dreamwalking like behavior, going clumsily around doing the chores they usually did before getting infected (an infected watchman would pick some of his gear, then go around his patrol route, but doing it wrong and maybe in the wrong time, and such). They stay like that until the transformation completes: first their hair goes white, then their skin too, and after some days they start to become wizened and mummy-like looking, this last part taking between a week and three weeks at most. After that, they can completely turn in any given moment, becoming frenzied and starting to attack anything that moves so they can spread the plague.

In my setting this plague led to a terrible state of emergency that could only be solved by putting the infected to the care of an undead king who managed to find a cure, but couldn't turn them back to their previous status, so now they're a playable race called ashagor.

So the fishmen from Innsmouth?

Mawmen

Hideously deformed, headless corpses. The ribcage is split open, revealing a vertical maw of ragged teeth. Mawmen move intently and wield cutting weapons. such as cleavers and knives. They eat nothing but humans, hacking up their victims and devouring them, meat and bones all. When a Mawman has eaten several meals it will regurgitate its food, which rises as a newborn Mawman within minutes.

Mawmen are possessed of a base cunning, and hunt humans as a predator would: cautious and quiet, killing swiftly, and then carrying off their meal once it is secured. Alone, Mawmen are ambushers and stalkers, but they will readily cooperate with any other Mawmen nearby. Together, Mawmen are preternaturally coordinated, forming huge mobs that act in concert to secure ever larger feasts. Such mobs are often seen on the high seas, propelling huge rafts of flotsam and jetsam with their hands, feet and makeshift paddles.

The only way to kill a Mawman is to bleed it to death. Hacking off a limb is the best option, as Mawmen do not tend to their own wounds, or those of others. Stabbing or shooting is close to useless, as Mawmen lack internal organs of any kind. Mawmen do not fear fire, they cannot drown, and despite their predatory behaviour, they do not actually need to eat to maintain their strange vitality.

The true origins of the Mawmen are uncertain. They are most commonly found in the seas and islands surrounding the wealthy city-port of Krutengarl, though there have been sightings of similar beasts in seas many miles distant. Old sailor-tales claim the Mawmen are the bodies of drowned sailors, reanimated to punish the greed and decadence of Krutengarl. But sailors say many things...