EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Do gain control effects and other "Theft" make you or anyone in your group super-salty? If not, what does?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/710487#online
mtggoldfish.com/deck/685480#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What do you do when you're building 6 decks at a time but don't know which one you want to finish first?

I am not ashamed to admit how salty theft effects make me.

Its almost irrational.

Though honestly the only things that really bother me are
thefts
warp world/great aurora (esp when used as removal, and nothing else)
obviously bad threat managment.

Make the cheapest one

Make the most expensive one.

status update:

zur just dropped a tabernacle

truly wondrous what casual edh means to some people

Opinions on this dude?
What spicy tech could you use to make him great?

10 billion extra turns

follow the fine tradition of building a wotc-commander set commander as "if you let me swing once, i win"

amazing what the thinking heads at wotc are capable of

>Opinions

Its honestly like they had this dude already made, and when C17 rolled around they were in desperate need of another dragon commander and slapped the dragon rider at the end.
I really hope the other decks get something as kickass as this dude.

Hey, everyone, They're building Duel Commanders then fighting on Cockatrice, then recording the match:

Darien's Castle under siege: Queen Marchesa's army:

But I work on a ~$150 budget on all my decks so they're all around the same price

>thread q
Hell no. One of my first games in EDH ever someone stole all my stuff with this infinite mana memnarch silliness. Since then ive picked up a homeward path amd some other answers that ill swap in if i need it. There are some good theft effects, but general enchantment removal gets rid of most of it.

Every single person in my meta sides a Homeward Path for when I decide to play Yasova.

The thing about theft effects that piss me off is my opponents frequently get to abuse my absurdly janky synergies MORE than I ever did.

It is frustrating trying your damnest to get three garbage creatures to stick and failing, then having them get Rise of the Dark Realms'd.

People say that a theft deck is only powerful when playing against powerful decks, but when you Bribery out a Butcher Orgg, you got the better end of the deal than me hard casting the fucker.

does kurkesh let you copy birthing pod?

>side-boarding in EDH

Yes.

Yeh.

so saccing a 4 drop gets you two 5 drops? just want to confirm

Ye.

Can I rebound a spell that exiles itself as part of the spell?

>Rise of the Dark Realms'd.
I feel the same way, and its always plays out like this

>player a is playing some sort of mill/wheel variant deck.
>large portion of my deck is in graveyard
>player b is playing a theft deck and then plays my deck via my graveyard cheaper then I ever could
>player a wont stop giving them more cards to plunder

No. Check the ruling on Cast Through Time.

>rebound
Nope iirc rebound is a replacement effect if it would enter the graveyard after resolution.

>Thread Question:
>Do gain control effects and other "Theft" make you or anyone in your group super-salty? If not, what does?

Yes, especially when I play my jeleva extra turns deck and they cast bribery on me, the only creature in my deck is phage

They can fail to find, man.

You sure countered that Bribery though, when they choose the obviously wrong choice.

Would she be the best steal_stuff.dec commander?

Yep, It also goes nicely with mimic vat, stionic resonator, quicksilver amulet, and of course voltaic key.

The fuck are you building user

Sounds tasty

She's deffinately good, but I might say Jevala just because black has some stealing, and red has stuff like insurrection and mass mutiny.

Merieke or Sen Triplets, with Gonti in fairly close contention.

>Thread Question
I got pretty pissy the first time I got hit with a Mindslaver, but subsequent activations I've just sighed and accepted it.

Memnarch, though, that guy can eat shit.

Beat up some wendy's chefs and finish all the decks at once.

Olivia 1.0 pings and steals stuff
Memnarch is the best steal your shit commander because he can steal any permanent

How many flick sources should I have in a Brago deck other than Brago himself?
I'm currently using Ghostway and Eerie Interlude, but I'm wondering about adding cards like Flickerswip, Felidar Guardian or Ghostly Flicker
Should I do it?

>Riku and Kurkesh on the field
>Pod x cmc
>get two X+1 creatures
>copy both with Riku
>get 4 etb triggers

if I manage to do this even once I'll die happy

My Mazirek deck has gotten too strong for my meta, should I remove ashnods altar or animation module?

Of your group isn't killing Brago on sight until he costs 10 mana, something is wrong.

Pack more flicker. Ghostly Flicker and Archeomancer is crazy shit. Conjurer's is solidly repeatable. Momentary Blink can do it twice and costs fuck all to cast.

Be mindful of what things are slow Flicker.

Also, fuck Blink decks. You'll be bored in a month.

Yeh.

>Be mindful of what things are slow Flicker.
You mean the ones that don't return it immediately but at the end of the turn?

Correct. I don't know how much it matters in your build since Brago flickers during your turn, but don't try to fast Flicker against a wrath.

he is cool

Imagine if the vampire dude from the spoilers turns out to be a blood artist that works from the command zone.

They made a buttload of janky commanders too. Unsurprisingly, they aren't well represented in most playgroups.

I wouldn't trade some of them for the world.

>thread question
no, black makes them salty because of my sheoldred deck

WE NEED MORE U/W DRAGON SUPPORT

This. Narset, Yidris, why do we need another one? What's the appeal?

>What's the appeal?
i built brago and disliked it, then sygg and it sucked

If you don't do extra turns, there is nothing wrong with the guy.

ephara or lavinia for a moderately powerful blink deck my man

what if i only have 5
mtggoldfish.com/deck/710487#online

I'd rather not.

which kamigawa commander should I play

but he seemed cool and
i want to build him in homes that u/w gets dragon sup, because it seems fun

I'll look at your list later and I don't know your meta, but I don't think you know what NO means.

But hey, you might be in a playgroup that loves watching you jerk it, cutie.

Reki, History of Kamigawa. You're stuck in monocolor anyway, may as well get the best one.

Gold kamigawa legends suck.

they are a win con
also yes but this isnt the right board to talk about that

Reverse oloro vampire
During your upkeep if hes in the command zone deals 2 damage
>100% erect

hopes*

>build UW
>it's too janky
>build UG
>it's too good

GODO
O
D
O

>Still REEEEEing about Oloro in a format where winning involves infinite combos 90% of the time
Wew

Poor person reporting in
I have two or three mono color decks that I want to make, but have none of the cards to make them really good. Trades are also out because all my shit is either lost forever or not worth it for anybody who actually has trades.
I also have two or three other decks I want to make, but I face similar problems.
I just want a cheap deck that is fun to play and can actually be competitive. Usually things are only one of these. Cheap cards never win games, winning games isn't fun, and fun cards are either hard to come by or just not effective enough to actually make an impact.
What do? I mean, obviously besides complaining.

Hell yeah. 1st set. Vish Kal, Nin, Zedruu, Ruhan, Damia, Skullbriar, Mimeoplasm, Tariel, Basandra, Riku. Fuck Ghave, Karador, Edric, Kaalia, and Animar.

So Mogis, but playable?

>UW
>janky
Are you playing Noyan Dar or some shit?

I gave up competition. I just try to relax during games.

zada and krenko are as cheap as it gets
also
>jihoria
>the shitty eldrazi
>the cheep counters and mana
>board whipes

thats what i built when i first started

brogo is the cheapest high teir deck iirc

mtgolfdish has lots of budget edh deck lists and stuff

Edric can be surprisingly inexpensive, just don't go nuts on the mana base and extra turn spells. Good ramp, wipes, Overrun effects and flying/unlockable 1/1s aren't too tough on the wallet

>cheap cards never win games

Teysa, darkest hour and blasting station cost like maybe $10 together. Sanguine bond + exquisite blood maybe $15.

Tree of perdition + triskaidekaphobia can also be used to kill one player and is not expensive.

First off, don't play mono color on a budget ffs. You can easily build a competent deck on a budget, but you need more colors to take advantage of it. Make Maelstrom Wanderer (or Intet if Wanderer is too pricey).
>Throw in some things like Titans and Primordials as your big creatures
>Use cheap ramp staples like Cultivate and Explosive Vegetation
>Add in draw like Compulsive Research and Harmonize.
There, now you have a competent deck on a budget.

ephara

i wanted to do something cute and build-aroundy, but seems like the deck is just too janky and clumsy even though i brewed it quite a bit

then i threw together a list for rashmi composed of 34 shitty meme instants and it immediately got complaints for being too oppressive

ya cant win with edh

how did i do

I'm not really looking to do a legends theme. I just like Kamigawa's flavor.

Godo is cool but eh

You posted about that rashmi game a few threads ago didn't you? I spend too much time here

I started out to relax but then my playgroup has a high power Kresh deck and exactly what you would expect out of a Khalia deck. I just want to win more than the .01% of the time I get ignored because of a really slow start or my political maneuvers.

Like I said, I don't have the money to get good stuff and Goblins.dec isn't very appealing to me.
Brago might not be expensive but things Brago abuses tend to be

Where's the fun in those kinds of decks though?

I'm sorry, I know I'm being picky and salty, but I kind of am at this point. I appreciate all of y'alls help though.

Step up, nigga

>sides
>not having a Homeward Path in every deck

>Thread Question:
>Do gain control effects and other "Theft" make you or anyone in your group super-salty? If not, what does?

Yeah. Everyone always loses their collective shit when I play my Yasova Dragonclaw deck. They call is 'unfun' and 'not fair'. One guy in particular can't fucking stand her, and considers her the best deck, saying it's on par, or better than Zur or Narset. He'd rather play against my Grenzo Doomsday deck.

The deck's not even particularly good-- it's just a bunch of clones, and threaten effects with sac outlets, and cards that pump Yasova. He admits his hate is pretty irrational, but he still just can't stand her; I think suffers pretty hard from a case of feel bads from getting his broken shit stolen and used against him.

Sidisi =$4
Ad nauseum =$9
Dark sphere =$1
Sickening dreams =$0.25
96 lands

You either win turn 6 or lose turn 6 every game guaranteed and it only cost you $15

>captcha: click all skirts
> 2 of three clothing pictures are clearly pants

Welcome to my world. Try to just breathe deep and be funny during games.

Most of my enjoyment of EDH comes from heckling the players, nowadays. I haven't won a game in weeks if not months.

I mean I just wanted to give an example of cheap cards that can win you the game. What do you consider fun?

done

>Where's the fun in those kinds of decks though?
Slapping the shit out of people

Play Melek Fireballs or some shit, I dunno, beggars can't be choosers

Its like when it asks to click on burgers and 2 pictures are just meat on a bun, put some fucking salad on it cunts - Australia

probably

once again i'm having to choose between functional cancer and dysfunctional funtimes

it also kinda sucks that the UW deck costs 40% more despite being weaker simply because wotc cant into reprints

Wanderer is a lot of fun. Everytime you cast him you get to spin the wheel and see what you get.
Throw in some interesting cards like Possibility Storm and Goblin Spymaster to really shake things up.

>metalworker
>$0.05

What now?

That sucks dude, I'm sorry to hear that. Hang in there, I'm sure things will turn around for us and we can have fun without... I don't even know, having fun?

Something like that.

Well some of the decks that I want to make are just silly things
>Sphinx tribal
>Neheb the Eternal
>Ghisa
(ok, not exactly silly things, but not typical decks I guess) Those are the mono colored decks I wanna play. I also wanted to build Jund saprolings (not sure who to use as commander though), Rakdos discard (right now playing around with Olivia 2.0), and hopefully Scarab God zombies

I'm looking for fun "Gotcha" cards. Not as in, the Unhinged mechanic, but cards that seem so narrow and surprise the fuck out of people when they do work.

Pic related are just some examples that fit the criteria in my mind. They don't HAVE to be instants, but it would be way more fun if they were.

This sort of thing is surprisingly hard to search for. I'm looking for examples in UB and instant speed in particular, but would love to hear examples in ANY color or speed.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/685480#paper
i could go cheaper

jihoria is one of the least expensive commanders

>drop top
>drop ulamog
holy shit i could make this
the red board wipes are like 1$ each at the most

honestly if i wanted to make a supremely cheap deck to maybe win against tryhard tables, there are 2 ways i can think of going about it

1) something green and fast
basically abuse green's mana dorks for cheap, fast ramp, then cast some meme shit to hopefully instantly win, like yisan or nath

2) something black and slow
just sit around doing nothing and then hopefully win with some cheap combo when everyone else is tapped out. won't win if your group just focuses on hunting down a wincon by turn 5 and doesn't interact enough to stop itself from comboing

then there's also the meme option of playing edric and bullying the fuck out of the player you like the least with counterspells and shit. won't probably win but you'll feel good

trap cards

that one green card that triggers when a player plays a blue card....

S E E D T I M E
G>U
G>U
G>U

Hatred and Tainted Strike are both good ones, but obvious choices

yeah that's what it's called