/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/yarr-there-be-a-pirates-dark-era/
>Question:
What's the best example of a fictional character fitting a spalt perfectly?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

The Winchesters and Hunter

Decker. Probably the best example of an Acanthus mage specializing in Fate ever.

So what clan would Dracula be from?

Requiem or Masquerade?

Rites of the Dragon implied Gangrel going by his powers. This fits pretty well with the powers he has in the original Stoker book, except for lack of Dominate.

Requiem of course this is the CofD general right?

No.

>gangrel

Vampfags are getting pissssssssst

The truth of the matter is
>Mages can speedblitz better than Vampires
>Mages can use mental shenanigans better than Vampires
>Mages can defend themselves better than Vampires
>Mages have attacks that no Vampire can truly defend against

The lines were never meant to be equal
This was already confirmed by the devs

Mages, Mummies and Demons are far more "potent"(so sayeth DaveB) compared to the others, it's a no brainer.
Archmages are stronger(by miles) still.
>Wasn't it proposed in IM that an Archmage of Death was responsible for the Kindred Curse?
Yes. Seven dots is the 'Make your own splat' tier.

A weeaboo Seeker could make Princess: The Hopeful an actuality.
Lament in the possibilities.

>A weeaboo Seeker could make Princess: The Hopeful an actuality.
>Lament in the possibilities.

LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALA

The alternative is he is a Ventrue that was Embraced with dots in Protean, which would be exceptional.

Count F*cking Dracula is also a Gangrel.

Of course he might just be clanless, which would make sense for a spontaneous divine Embrace.

Dracula in Requiem is a nigh mythical entity. He's either self embraced or an incredibly odd gambrel and was able to do miraculous things with the blood.

Eh. The text in Rites of the Dragon imply that he willed himself to live/be Embraced, and that Gangrel blood is what he imbibed as he lay dying with a vampire bleeding into his mouth.

Don't Vampires get access to out of clan disciplines if they feed from another vampire with a discipline they lack?

Not saying it's easy or a good idea but it's not impossible.

"What is a man!?"

He's a character in V:tM at least and he's Old Clan Tzimisce. in V:tR I don't know if he's stated, I think he's just kinda of mentioned vaguely.

In OWoD he's a Tzimisce. He tricked a 4th Gen into Embracing him, then staked and Diablerized him, becoming 4th Gen.

I'd imagine in VtR he's probably a Ventrue of the Ordo Dracul.

Mages are the strongest splat, Vampires are the weakest. If there's any fight that should be lopsided it's that one.

Says who? A retarded mage fag? Mages have to specialize in killing vamps when all a vamp needs is celebrity to kill a mage before he reacts or dominate to mindcontol them or majesty to make a mage a sex puppet.

>attempting to mind control and dominate a person whose most necessary and important stat is WILLPOWER
Even basic mages have to have a high willpower stat. God help you if you encounter a prime, mind, or fate specced mage.

Celerity isn't as effective as it was in OWoD(not that a smart mage couldn't counter it)
Mage Armor is reflexive. By the time the Vampire failed to ambush the wizard, it will be far too late for him.

Question yourself though. Why does any of this matter? It's not like you need Mages in your Chronicle(s).

>Mages have to specialize in killing vamps

They really don't.

>Le every mage has prep time and access to all 10 arcana.
When will this meme end?

>Vampires are only take aggravated damage from fire, sunlight, and werewolf fangs
Sure thing mage fag

>Implying a Mage needs more than one Arcanum to utterly annihilate a Vampire
>Implying prep is even necessary after a certain point

When will this meme end?

A single +1 to contest Dominate is probably not going to make the difference too often.

I figure never. Because White Rooms are fun. That being said, other splats tend to do it too, but the breadth of their powers tends to be smaller so the White Rooms are too.

Mage armor is gained at 2nd dot for each arcana you have, and all arcane have a form of mage armor, except prime which has antimagic armor. Reflexive means you do not need prep time at all, it activates when you are attacked, period.

You are literally mistaking a meme for something that is basic in the book, demonstrating astounding ignorance.

Four dots in an Arcana is Aggravated damage, user.

Mage armor is reflexive. Mental Shield is only a Mind 2 spell. That's if the vampire even gets close enough to use the Disciplines.

For humans not Vampires
That is bullshit but I bet DaveMagefagB would put that kind if shit in

Is that you Eolirin? Wanking Celerity to its limit again?

Who said anything about infinite prep time and all ten Arcana?

And if the vampire has Dominate there is a good chance he also has Resilience. So?

>being able to move so fast it looks like teleportation is wanking
Every mage fag

No, it works for Vampires as well as humans.

By that logic Unmaking shouldn't work on the Kindred either.

>Every mage fag
Where?

>vampire vs mages
It's almost nostalgic.

We all fucking know that an average combat demon would wipe the floor with anything bar an archmage or newly awakened mummy and even a new mummy would get bodied by going loud.

Demons are on par with Mages and Mummies.

The three strongest splats.

Objectively best ranking system for crossover purposes

God Tier
>Archmage

Top Tier
>Prep Mage
>Loud Demon
>Fresh Mummy

Middle Tier
>Mage
>Demon
>Sin-Eater
>Mummy
>Beast
>Werewolf
>Changeling

Lower Tier
>Promethean
>Vampire
>Surprised Mage
>Prep Hunter
>Hunter

A normal demon can wrek a normal mage my friend

Surprised Mage should be above vampire. Mage Armor is reflexive and getting off even one spell can be enough to shift the odds.

If the Mage is Disciple and lower? Sure.

Adept and above? No.

What splat would the Judge from Blood Meridian be?

Masters seem unbeatable in 1v1 situations if they know what they're doing.

It's nearly impossible to defend against an Unmaking Rote considering the ludicrous chances Masters have of acquiring Exceptional Successes.

This is true

Demons can just use the exploit that allows them to copy any other splats abillity and use it to humans the mage.

I've never heard of that. Can you describe the exploit?

That's not going to deter the mass versatility of an Adept / Master though.

It's a great advantage, but not enough to win out.

That's not as great of a boon as you would think. At least not when used against a Mage. It would copy a spell, not an entire Arcana.

You're also forgetting that an ES Unmaking 'Finger o' Doom' Rote is going to make short work of the renegade Demon.
Not unless it has some occult method of countermagic.

All we have to do is summon the /x/fag and discuss how he shitposts and I'll have bingo

Your shitty posts counts as a meta discussion doesn't it?

>A normal demon can wrek a normal mage my friend
Nah, the demon would have to go Loud to win.

Pray to God(Machine) that the Mage doesn't know exactly what you're capable of, or else you're essentially fighting a prep Mage.

Actually all you would need is /x/fag. The bingo chart qualifies as meta discussion about how stupid we are.

What is wrong with the Changing Breeds book for CofD?

So... has anyone ever actually had any inter-splat conflict in their games? How did it turn out?

Unmaking is Withstood

You explicitly can defend against it

Bestiality is illegal, user.

A prepared Master can roll up on you with dedicated exceptional successes. It's tough to beat their pool with a shitty splat like Vamp.

That doesn't mean anything. It's still Withstood.

True but I also feel like that would be cheating.

You're about to stumble upon a horrifying Truth

He said almost impossible, not completely impossible. I mean, conceivably you could generate the perfect Vampire for not getting Unmade. But at that point how dangerous are you if all your merits and Disciplines are there to defend yourself from instant effects?

Exceptional Successes completely bypass Withstand

But it wouldn't it be like, extra meta?

>It's still Withstood.
It's not.

Yeah but then it might as well be a free space.

Mages aren't overpowered within their own game

I don't understand why you people want to hate on the game just because of petty crossover drivel.
Crossover isn't focal, why does any of this matter?

It's bias. I pray to god that the Devs don't take the opinions of this place to heart. Everyone here is a white-room whoring mongrel. Not just the Mage players.

Worse yet that Dave has actually mentioned beforehand that he -hates- white-room discussions with a passion. No doubt the other writers do as well.

Setting consistency.

To quote a post in the previous thread:

>Right, so what about all these vampire conspiracies? Just existing on sufferance of the Awakened? Why would mages tolerate these instead of dismantling them at every opportunity?
>The only explanation is that vampires are threatening enough that the Pentacle and Seers usually decide to let sleeping leeches lie and focus on each other.

>I don't understand why you people want to hate on the game just because of petty crossover drivel.
>Crossover isn't focal, why does any of this matter?

Vampire is all about the revenge fantasies of the goths and other social outcasts. It's intolerable if the nerds (i.e., mages) can still shit all over the new popular and powerful vampires as established canon in the setting.

It's little more than displaced bitterness and envy. There's a reason why you don't see the hyperbolic reactions from Werewolf fans (jocks) and Changelings (abuse survivors).

>I pray to god that the Devs don't take the opinions of this place to heart

They're not idiots. They have their own circle of other writers to count on. At this point I gather that Dave and his peers only come here to laugh. Not that any of this is funny.

Mages are too lofty to really exterminate Kindred society, IMO

They might even help keep things under wraps.

>Dave's Sarcastic Wisdom

>Praise the Komodo Lord
>Pray that he one day writes for Hunter, so it may no longer be the bastard stepchild of the CofD

Hunter is actually really good though.

It's arguably the best-put-together gameline. It certainly hasn't had as much negative tampering as some of the others have.

>The one setting I know of that Dave flat out stated his complete dislike for
I dream of a Demon supplement, all the themes of that game are straight up his alley by the looks of it, Broken Diamond event started with a Mage version of the Moscow Rules

Some want to experiment on them or become them. Tremere was a Mage, after all.

More importantly, why would most mages want to spend the time and resources to eradicate vampires (or much anything else).

Mages are most certainly not superheroes. They are obsessive, narcissistic and privileged jerks. Unless vampire were part of an individual mage's investigation of a Mystery or interfered with its pursuit, the comings and goings of the undead are of little concern to the WIse. If an individual vampire is a nuisance, they might be eliminated (or worse, "studied"), but genocide would be a rare Awakened motivation, largely curbed by Mage society.

Mages also have their own VERY powerful antagonists to deal with. More often than not, vampires (and werewolves, changelings, etc.) are not a mage's supernal radar.

Waste of easy mysteries. If you dismantle them, then you can't study them in their natural habitat. And if you want to dissect one, well, easier to just grab a free-ranging leech then try and keep one on ice until you get around to it.

>Destroy the Followers of the Lie! Leeches are no better than Seers
>Challenge is Magical! Swear Oaths to protect Sleepers
Cryptopolies to raise Sleepers to greatness vs. vampire blood cults
>Seers wanting more of that neat mundane power and influence vampire conspiracies are hogging

What tampering are you thinking of in other lines?

>Hunter is actually really good though.

It's not so much about whether Hunter is "good" or "bad," but rather that it interacts poorly with every other gameline.

Hunter ostensibly should be the quintessential crossover game, yet Hunters rarely stand any hope of actually successfully hunting most other major splats. To the consternation of many Hunter fans, the response to this complaint is just to focus on the "alternative" "lesser" monsters created with the Hunter core rules and not use the other gamelies. If a Hunter cannot actually hunt "real" vampires, werewolves, etc., in the CofD, I can understand the frustration and ignominy of the fans. I don't know how Hunter 2e will solve this problem, absent no longer making most Hunters normal humans, and thus changing the fundamentals of the setting.

Why would Mages even care about what vampires do? I'm sure some make a point of researching them and have them as Obsessions, but not to the point that vampires would be endangered. Most would probably lose interest when it becomes apparent that vampires aren't Supernal in nature at all.

Most Mysteries aren't Supernal in nature.

The only hunters that can't throw down with the other splats are shit hunters that don't know how to operate operationally.

Even top condition hunters can't throw down with certain splats, user.

Mages are mostly about Obsessions and all that, sure. But all of the Orders are actually framed in ways that seem to care an awful lot about the Fallen World and what goes on in it.

If they had wanted to highlight the Obsession and hubris more Mages should have social splats that reflect that, instead theirs are actually are ways to tie them into the Fallen World.

The only Order that has little to no interest in the Fallen World are the Mysterium.

It doesn't have a 2e version, for one.

I apologise for that horribly butchered post. I seriously need to sleep.

Which splats?

Most

Actually, probably all of them.

And why?

>Leeches are no better than Seers

That's debatable.

Vampires may certainly be oppressive and tyrannical during the course of their requiems, but Seers actively serve the very symbols of tyranny and oppression, and have the supernal power to carry out the will of the Exarchs well beyond the capabilities of most animated corpses with delusions of grandeur.

Simply, vampires are rank amateurs compared to any accomplished Seer, and the resources of the Pentacle are best devoted to fighting the true followers of the Exarchs, and not some uppity leeches.

Actually, the vampire problem, and how similar they are/can be to the Seers, comes up in both the Free Council and Seers of the Throne books...

Aside from higher tier Mages. Every other splat can be dealt with via enough thermite, other high explosives and /k/ommando grade autism.

>TFW the DE2 Kickstarters is doing so poorly that we may not see a Camelot, Gilgamesh or Jazz Age era.

>RichT is killing the CofD, and our only hope is the edgy abomination that is SwedeDracula.
>We are doomed!