Powerful D&D Characters

So experts of Pathfinder, is there anyway to min/max an alchemist? I'm in a campaign with people hitting for 100 damage on crit at level 4 and I want to be able to compete with them. Maybe not be as OP as them but not be overshadowed by them, is there anyway to do this with an alchemist?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1hChbcEsEfQsR7NkwKlzO-GLYtrOtxlkGHpRQgKKZ5gc/edit
archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Potion Glutton
d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/coin-shot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As someone who's in a campaign with a self-admitted min-maxer playing an Alchemist, I can at least say that Feral Mutagen and lots of self-buffs gets pretty stupid pretty fast. Try to pick up the Vivisectionist archetype too so you can get sneak attack dice instead of the normal meh-tier bomb class feature.

Err, already level 5, it's a bit too late to choose that.

Well, that sucks.

What are your stats/feats/race/archetypes?

S 9
D 15
Co 12
I 20
Wis 12
Ch 14
---
Extra Discovery
Potion Glutton (3rd Party)
Iron Will
Haven't Chosen
---
Half-Elf
---
None, straight up Alchemist

discoveries?

Infusion
Healing Bombs
Precise Bombs

Okay, so without archetypes and specialized discoveries, you are just not going to be really effective at things like straight damage. Your role is to support allies, hand out infusions, etc.

If you want some backup damage, grab a hybridization funnel and brew some acid/alchemist fires; should apply your INT to damage twice when you throw those, which is a very good AoE option.

I do have one of those, but we are doing that time passes in real time so making acid and alchemist fires take 4 hours each.

Ahahahaha.

Yeah I know it sucks ass

Isn't there a spell you can use to speed things up?

I don't know I'm new to this Alchemist thing

There is a feat called Master Alchemist but we use alternate crafting rules so I'm not sure how it plays in

>So experts of Pathfinder, is there anyway to min/max an alchemist
Sure. Play a better edition.

docs.google.com/document/d/1hChbcEsEfQsR7NkwKlzO-GLYtrOtxlkGHpRQgKKZ5gc/edit

Also, ask in /pfg/ they are better at handling this shit.

You need cognatogen. The fact that you took Iron Will means your character will never be good.

"But all the other editions are broken!"

Pathfinder has retraining rules. Ask your GM

I can probably get it respec if i asked.

Also, explain it to me like I'm stupid for this question, "What is so great about Cognatogen?"

It boosts your INT.

INT is added to your bomb damage.

It'd be amazing with a grenadier "sniper" build if you can retrain your archetype to be that.

You can use it to boost your Int, which is what makes your bombs go. Use Cognat, get more bombs, do more min-damage which means you do more splash damage. Its alchemist 101.

Next you need immolation bomb, and you need to learn how to make int potions. Remember, bombs always deal min damage as splash, which means that having high int is always better.

That... actually could work, so tell me more about this "sniper" build

I see now, okay so if I respec I'll grab that with immolation.

You take:
>grenadier archetype
this gets you the ability to attach alchamical items to ammo
>hybridization funnel
you already have this, know what it does
>targeted bomb admixture
this doubles the INT bonus from your bomb to a single target
>explosive shot discovery
This lets you imbue a bolt with a bomb, load it and fire it as a single action
>the heaviest crossbow you can find
for big base damage and range
can use guns alternatively for close range

in total, you do something like 6d6+Int mod x4

How about having 6 attacks that deal around 1d6+Str at 4th leve?
Be Ragebred (gore, hoof, hoof) then use feral mutage (bite, claw, claw) on top of +4 to Str

If you want to play some Animu Kitsune with PoW content.

>Guys, how do I improve my character but without making changes because I already fucked up?
You can't. Next.

You have infusion. Good. Hand out infusions of Enlarge Person to the warriors. It's a personal spell so you are the only one who can do that.

I laughed

Probably go with guns because those are a thing and they go against touch at close range.

Skinwalkers are banned but boosting my str to not be shit could definitely do me some good with that mutagen

That would be good but they already hit like trucks without me, I'm trying not to be overshadowed by them.

You are support, they are the hammer.

Damage is just a metric, not even an important one.

Ablative barrier (extract) + Spontaneous healing (discovery) + Healing touch (discovery) =

ALL OF THE HEALTH

the interaction means you effectively end up with an extra 10HP per level or the equivalent of fast healing 10

ALSO as your an half-elf, get the bramble brewer archetype. The extra AC is nice (and stacks with barkskin and the like) but if you just hang a cheap sunrod from your belt, you will have fast healing 1 (2 if ablative barrier is up) whenever your mutagen is up (which should be always)

Once you get Level 3 extracts get Resinous skin for another dungeon length buff, and at this point an enemy needs to do more than 15 points of damage/round to have any appreciable impact on you, letting you wade in and control like no tomorrow.

A completely separate trick that every alchemist should use is the combination of Spring loaded wrist sheaths + level 1 potions + Accelerated drinker (trait)
That will let you use level 1 extracts as a move action, which is great for action economy

>Skinwalkers are banned
The fuck?

That's what ragebred is from right? My apologies though, it's not banned outright, but it does need to get approved.

That is very helpful, thank you.

Also Potion Glutton changes drinking extracts and potions to a swift action that does not provoke AoO, so there's no need for that.

>Accelerated Drinker

Careful with this one. I'd argue that read as written, it doesn't work with extracts (only potions!)

Potion Glutton (feat) is a lot more clear on that; but still doesn't explicitly mentions extracts.

Yeah the people who allowed it said yes for extracts because they're essentially the same as potions but drinking Mutagen remains Standard.

I assume he already used it in play, so the DM is fine with it.

Another thing to focus on could be Tumor familiars. They can be quite amazing.

I mean what the fuck because in your group some dude gets to deal 100 damage at 4th level, you have a 3pp feat, but somehow skinwalker is banned. Arbitrary rules are arbitrary.

I'm still curious how he manages 100 damage on crit at level 5 - Even using a scythe that's pretty hard to get.

>scythe
That only gets crits on nat20. I thought it would be something more reliable like keen scimitar (15-20), nothing to worry about then, user.

He's a "Dex based Bladebound Kensai Magus" and according to him he is drastically under preforming because he is "shooting for concept over performance"

Really? Tumor familiars are good? I don't see how, could you explain it to me like I'm stupid?

>Dex bladebound magus
>100 damage on crit at 5th level
Doubt

You double up on the effects of infusions with them.

Buff yourself, you buff both of you. You can even share things with them that usually doesn't affect their type (like enlarge person).

Then you can apply things like familiar archetypes to them (mauler). You could even ride it like a mount.

Or they can help you with action economy, using Poisoner's gloves to spread your infusions around.

Doubt all you want but it's what I have to compete with. I don't know the specifics as to why they hit so goddamn hard, but they do. They're not the only one who hits like a truck either.

>replace the chymist's hands, and she can still use her hands
What a strange power.

I see, that sounds impressive actually, I haven't played anything that deals with familiars so I didn't know.

I'm not doubting you think he can do that, I'm doubting he actually can do that and isn't cheating.

Nobody's called him out yet so I guess I have assume he isn't. Then again there was some business on another server where he abused crafting rules to get like 15% cost or some shit. They claim this was because they didn't like the Admin

He could be doubling up on shocking grasp. possibly with metamagic. Properly optimized that can easily do like 8d6 even at 4th level, and that all doubles on top of his weapon damage.

that's still only about 70-ish on average though.

He is doing that, and he did 80 but later on he said he didn't count some shit so it should've been like 30 higher.

Lets assume he has 30 Dex, yeah I know.
5th level Bladebound gives him +2 Scimitar.
1 arcane point makes it +3 kee Scimiar.
Lets imagine he has piranha strike or power attack (-2/+4).
So his weapon damage is 1d6 + 10 (dex)+3 (magic enhacement) + 4 (PA or PS), that's 20.5, 41 on crit.
Lets assume he uses Shockin grasp (5d6 at 5th level), that's 17.5, 35 on crit.

My math tells me that in a situation with motherfucking 30 Dex he will be dealing 76, not 100.

He also blew 3 feats (Weapon Finesse, Dervish Dance and Power Attack/Piranha Strike) abd can only do that as long as he has spells and only 20% of the time becuase he needs to crit.

which metamagic though? intensify spell? doesn't work at 5th level

It does if you pick up the metamagic discount traits.

Read intensify spell, user

He didn't say anything about scythes - I was saying that even in the best case scenario - with a x4 2h weapon I'm having trouble reaching 100.

Ah, probably metamagic memery then. Shocking Touch I assume.

I'll put out a calculation that's actually pretty unrealistic with pretty much everything, going for the highest numbers possible. Assuming:
20 dex, Feats: Piranha Strike, Maximize, Dervish Dance (and 2 metamagic lowering traits)

6(Scimitar, perfect strike)+5(dex)+2(Piranha Strike)+1(enh)+1(Black Blade Strike)+24 (Maximized shocking grasp)= 40

*2 = 80. Perfect Strike increases the critical multiplier for the weapon by 1 (but spells don't use the weapon's crit multiplier), so that's another +6=86 damage

Do note that Shocking Grasp is a level 2 spell, of which he should only have 1 per day. alternatively, with empower instead of maximize it's 6 total damage less.

The guy might be applying the Kensai's critical strike multiplier increase to the spellstrike spell; but this is against the rule of Spellstrike

>This attack uses the weapon's critical range (20, 19–20, or 18–20 and modified by the keen weapon property or similar effects), but the spell effect only deals ×2 damage on a successful critical hit, while the weapon damage uses its own critical modifier.

I'd say you're either playing with cheaters or a stupid DM that hands out random, unnecessary power boosts/feats.

We are using Elephant in the Room and apparently this has helped them drastically with feat tax

It's West Marches style so we have lots of GM's, but we have Admins and Moderators (most are pretty cool dudes) that convene to allow this kind of shit.

>Do note that Shocking Grasp is a level 2 spell
In this calculation*. Before someone misunderstands.

Yeah, I thought you meant the feat, then remembered it's also a class feature from kensai and deleted my post

I'm reading it, intensify spell deals 10d6, moron.

That's why I said level 1 extracts, because you have to turn them into potions first.

At 25gp each, it's chump change, and because it takes so little time to make, you can do so without needing downtime interrupting your adventuring days

>If the caster is out adventuring, he can devote 4 hours each day to item creation, although he nets only 2 hours’ worth of work. This time is not spent in one continuous period, but rather during lunch, morning preparation, and during watches at night.

Again though, Potion Glutton makes drinking them a swift already. Don't get me wrong if they didn't approve it this would be an excellent option.

Read the feat, user. And remember we're talking about a 5th level char.

>You can even ride it like a mount.

Potion Glutton comes with the requirement of worshiping Urgathoa, who is not very nice as the CE god of Disease, gluttony, & undeath

archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Potion Glutton

It also often gets banned or home-ruled because its so amazing

That god requirement was waved, if it is too OP they said they'll take it away but so far they haven't given a shit.

if that requirement was waved, then TAKE IT
TAKE IT NOW
your casting spells as a SWIFT action
DO IT DO IT DO IT

and by the way, can we swap DMs?

I already took it, it was like my second feat. I'm the one who got it approved. Sure why not, you got a discord?

also, SWIFT ACTION CASTING

I can't understate that. That alone will make you the most powerful PC at that table.

also take a look at d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/coin-shot to make 2 touch attacks per round.

Just make an army of Golems, oozes and other things to do shit for you. Get create philosophers stone at level 20 and keep the potion of true rez around. Have a highly intelligent but highly loyal golem rez you every time you die. Also, see if your GM will let you make crazy inventions. I once helped invent a cannon that shot a acid filled cannon ball that would only relase the acid after it broke through city walls. The acid was gaseous too.

If you arent 110% batshit insane when you play a alchemist, you are not playing correctly.

Easy, take Alchemist PrC's found in other 3.5 works Protip, there are shitloads of these.

>PrC
What does the People's Republic of China have to do with pathfinder?

So this is an online game, then? Not sure if this has been posted yet, but look up N.Jolly's guide, "Chasing the philosopher's stone."

If worse comes to worst; Have you thought about playing with other people?
Min/Maxing your character might be fun for some people, but there might be something wrong if they _NEED_ to be dealing the absolute most damage on every swing. Sometimes, you should just play a game to have fun.

I wish you luck, OP

It's the shortterm used for Prestige class.
I forgot. Does PF use those, or are you all stuck with Archetypes AKA Variant classes past level 1?

There are some prestige classes but most of them are shit. The only one an Alchemist can get is Mad Chymist I believe which is ASS because no more discoveries

It didn't start off that bad, that everyone needed to be OP to do any sort of damage. But when you're a GM and some chucklefuck is breezing through your guys like nothing, and they're are several of those guys on server. Well... they just started to build encounters for those guys, at least most have, some still have really nice quests that only get ruined when the min/maxers come.

its fine as a 1 level dip, 2 levels at most

>No Grand Discovery
Fuck that, I really want that Eternal Youth shit.

>implying you'll ever get to level 20

I feel ya, buddy. But that honestly sounds like a GM problem, as opposed to a player problem. Like I said, there are some players who enjoy that sort of thing, and there's nothing wrong with that. But, then, designing encounters only towards that player or play style is a sign of bad DMing, or perhaps just carelessness.

Each player generally has a style of play that they prefer, and it's up to the DM to cater to those styles. It doesn't seem like being as OP as possible is your style, so it shouldn't have to be, at least not every game, or every session.

When I was running for 12 people, I used to pick 4 players to really focus on per session, and every week cater to those play styles. A player was very Munchkin, wanting to deal 100's of damage per hit, so I made encounters with big bad guys who could do the same, and had them both focus on each other. Another example, was tons of little enemies he'd cut through with little effort (to him).
Some players enjoy exploring, so you cater to them. E.g., sometimes their perception just so happens to get a bonus, and they find a secret door, or notice a trap. Maybe they notice a clue others had passed over, or find a single gold under a chair because they were looking to explore.
Some players like to be a part of the story, so, I'll have them be the party face, making decisions, handling the party business, helping solve encounters by talking the enemies out of combat, etc.

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to talk with the people who run your games. It is a two way street; if it's robbing you of your enjoyment of playing, then be sure to voice your concern. (Though, this doesn't seem to be a problem for you.)

Again, I wish you good luck. Sometimes it's really fun to make a certain build or concept. Perhaps next time you make an Oradin? A healer who uses action economy to heal himself in combat, and then still get to attack. That was my last challenge, and I fell in love with the concept. Finally, do have fun.

S-shut up...

>Implying that you can't just decide that when the campaign ends and you switch characters, your old character keeps climbing in levels and skill and eventually gets there.

this is the right answer, sounds like it's too late though.

D&D has some Alchemy stuff. Like rules for all your magical and alchemical waste. Truth be told there should be a table for magical waste generated by item craft/ritual usage.

Made an alchemist for kingmaker, DM asked me to tone it down a bit. Was doing pretty basic bomb stuff. Buff int/dex, targeted bomb admixture and go to town, opening with an immolation bomb. My typical damage looked like 1d6+18/ for 3 rounds if I hit their touch with a +10, and following it up with frost bombs to stagger for an additional 3d6+20~ or so. Next level I was going to get fast bombs + two weapon fighting for 4 bombs a round at +6. 5 bombs if I took rapid shot too for +4 bonus. That doesnt include my dex or size buffs so it probably would have been closer to +8 at max buff. 5 bombs +8 3d6+20+stagger or 1d6+18 for 3 rounds. Not including any other fancy bomb types I picked up along the way.

Which apparently isnt that hight, but it invalidated most encounters in core king maker.

Playing a Lynian (furry halflings who like bombs and food) with the wings discovery at diminutive size had me at +22-24 for stealth. Some encountes I would fly in, and just stay 30ft up from the enemy bombarding them. DM liked it by the book, so she didnt have an answer to it.

Just go bombs and come into your own naturally. If you want to keep up with the mad critters ,reroll a new character. That takes planning to execute and possibly specific magic items.

Good luck user.

I just really want to play an alchemist, which is why I asked about min/maxing them. But apparently they're too FAIR. But what an earlier user said with what you say plus the guides they showed me should help me accomplish my goal of "Hey we have an alchemist in our party, cool". Instead of being overshadowed by all these fucking min/maxer shits.

Well, there's the Master Alchemist from FR, the Alchemist Savant, Artificer and related classes, the Kingdoms of Kalamar uses for crafting potions and poisonmaking.

To quote the same min/maxer doing his magus fuck Master Alchemist is "Useless" because we use alternate crafting rules.

>implying there's any reason to stop at level 20 in such a scenario

The only thing they care about are their stupid meme characters and their retarded celebrity roll 20 games. No one will even acknowledge you if you aren't talking about that. /pfg/ is the worst thing to happen to pathfinder.