dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
Artificer or Mystic?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJMbkZIU-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mystic, because while Mystic may be a clusterfuck of hot garbage, at least it's not built around a feature that's basically one-time free loot drops.

GREETINGS /5EG/

I HAVE COME, ASKING YOU HOW TO UPDATE THESE RULES FOR 5TH EDITION.

LET US CREATE FUN

I like the Artificer in spirit, but it needs some work to become viable, most notably it needs a boost in spell choices and power

Mystic, is mechanically too good at the moment, and it's archetypes invalidate most other classes. I understand their decision to have mystic cover all classes instead of making an archetype for each class, but I think it would have been better for each class to have a psionic archetype.

Fuck off, fun-haver

REMINDER THAT PALADINS ARE NOT BASED OFF OF GODS

HOT DAMN

Good. Fuck FR faggots saying otherwise.

Literally the same thing but attached to their 5e equivalents. The halberd and bow could be OP, the mace has no use since non-lethal attacks are supposed to be player choice on 5e (even if a lot of DMs don't use that rule)

Most of this shit is already covered between feats and fighting styles.

>Bow could be OP
>Feat is literally worse than Crossbow Expert

OK.

>Battleaxe: Can attack two adjacent targets. You make two attacks. Each has disadvantage.

>Bow: Can fire two attacks at the same target. Each attach has disadvantage.

>Dagger: Can attack the same target twice in melee. Each attack has disadvantage.

>Flail: Advantage on next attack, but if you miss you instead automatically hit yourself and take damage.

>Greataxe: Auto-kills if the target's hit points after an attack are 5 or less.

>Greatsword: Deals 1 damage even on a miss. This damage can never kill a target.

>Longsword: Gain advantage on next attack, but if you miss you lose your next action

>Mace: If after a hit with a mace an opponent has 5 hit points or less, the opponent falls unconscious for 1d4 hours (as though knocked out with nonlethal damage)

>Maul: Can automatically critical. You are stunned on your next turn

>Quarterstaff: Can trip, as the Battlemaster feature

>Rapier/Scimitar: Can reduce damage die by 1 step to attack an opponent up to 10 feet away

>Scythe/Halberd: Reduce damage die by 1 step. If the attack hits, target bleeds for 1 hp per turn until it spends an action to staunch the bleeding (no Heal check required)

>Shotsword: Gain advantage on attack, but reduce damage die by one step.

THE INHERENT PROBLEMS USUALLY DO NOT LIE WITHIN THE ACTIVE ABILITIES, BUT MORE IN THE PASSIVE THINGS

FOR EXAMPLE, BOWS ALREADY CAN FIRE INTO MELEE WITHOUT PENALTY, RAPIERS USE DEXTERITY, SHORTSWORDS ARE ALREADY LIGHT WEAPONS, AND MACE DURABILITY IS IRRELEVANT AS WEAPON DURABILITY DOES NOT EXIST CURRENTLY

I don't think those are supposed to be feats

caps lock can be found directly underneath the Tab key, just left of the A key, for qwerty keyboards.

What do I combine Elven Accuracy with for maximum abuse?

Elves.

You are not Mister Rage, so fuck off and don't disgrace his memory.

thank you. i'm new to the internet

I knew him personally. He was a fucking shitter who thought that putting common sense in capslock made him wise. Disgrace him all you want

barbarogue and MC champion fighter for the extended crit range.

>reduce damage die by one step

what

It has the right idea if these are supposed to be automatically given to each weapon rather than being feats or something you have to choose only one of, but...
It's not designed for 5e and needs complete scrapping and doing over.

the damage die gets smaller, 1d8 goes to 1d6, and 1d6 goes to 1d4

Barbarian with for those 3d20 reckless attacks.

We also had an Elf Hexblade who used it quite well, had a Mastermind rogue ally to give him advantage and pull off those Warlock smites.

1d12 instead becomes 1d10; 1d10 becomes 1d8, etc. This functionally translates into -1 damage, though in the case of the halberd/scythe, even dealing 1 bleed damage makes up for this.

It was just a thought; I came up with these on the spot.

This is the opposite of fun. They purposely removed most features for specializing in a specific weapon because they were not fun. (Even PAM and XBE, the last weapon specialization options remaining, technically work on a few different weapons each.) Aside from often being a "feat tax," the main reason why they're not fun is because they make a lot of treasure unusable. Being able to pick up almost any weapon and use it just fine is fun, and it works together with the core premise of going into dungeons and discovering *unknown* piles of treasure. Picking up a weapon you can't use because you already sunk a bunch of feats into a slightly different weapon sucks shit.

I'm not 100% what the intention is but for all we know the intention of the poster is that these aren't actually feats or something you have to choose.

The best way to fix PAM/GWM is to give all weapons unique properties instead. You buff martials that don't take feats and nerf martials that take all the most powerful feats this way. You promote weapon choice since you don't specialize into a specific weapon and you give fighters something else to do in combat.
A lazy fighter can just pick a lazy weapon and never switch it.

For clarification, these are not meant to be feats, nor are they meant to be specializations. They're a system where every 10 kills you get with a weapon or type of weapon up to 50 kills, you roll a d4. On a 1, you permanently increase damage dealt with that kind of weapon by 1. On a 2, you increase the critical range. On a 3, you get the passive ability listed. On a 4, you get the active ability.

The point is not to force martials to specialize in one weapon and limit themselves, the point is to have them use a bunch of weapons and get good at using a bunch of them. If they want to use only one weapon then good for them, they'll be supremely good at using it. I know it's not balanced for 5e, it's an OSR thing. I'm not looking for Jeremy Crawford levels of balance, I'm looking for ways to make it usable in 5e.

That sounds needlessly complicated. Also, if you're replacing all the weapon feats with unique weapon properties you have to memorize, you're not "nerfing martials that take the most powerful feats," you're eliminating them. Instead you'll have martials who use the most powerful weapons. And these weapons will always be the same, so it doesn't help anything at all.

Needlessly complicated?

All you need to remember is what your weapon of choice does. Pick a weapon and find that it has some nice feature you can consider using.
Anyone who wants to put more effort in can look further.

It's more complicated as it stands now: You have to understand that you're shit without feats and much more powerful without feats and then look over all the feats and realize which feat is the best and what set-up is the best.

>you're eliminating them
That we fucking are, and for good reason.
The people who took feats before can now instead take multiple weapons in their backpack for advanced play.

>martials who use the most powerful weapons. And these weapons will always be the same.
That implies you can't balance properly. Yes, the OP ideas were shit but if you balance each weapon properly choices will become meaningful. Even better if DM focuses on stuff like different weapons being good on different monsters, i.e. one damage type being better against slimes.

except a lot of the active abilities give martials something to do other than "i make another melee attack with my battleaxe", even if it's something as simple as "i make another two melee attacks with my dagger but at disadvantage"

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJMbkZIU-

Any thoughts or critiques? Would you run them or allow them at your table?

i mean it doesn't seem OP or anything, but the wording of the first feature has me worried

"Whenever you take the Attack action, you can use your bonus action to attempt to disarm, shove, or push the opponent 5 feet."

Disarm isn't an action in 5e, unless this means disarm as in the Battlemaster mechanic. Shove and push the opponent 5 feet are redundant since Shove gives you the option of pushing the back 5 feet anyways. I'll post more as I read along.

Scrap what I said about it not being OP, this shit right here would be a no go for me as a DM.

"By offering Robilar's Feint, you absorb damage to place yourself in an advantageous position. When you reach 7th level, you can take an action to adopt a fighting stance that exposes you to harm, giving the next creature who attacks you advantage on the attack roll. When you are attacked in this way, you can use your reaction to take a full Attack action against that creature with advantage."

Already it was strong enough being able to make a full attack, but with advantage? I'd just go 7 levels of this then MC rogue for my free 4 chances at a sneak attack each round. It's multiclass bait and it's absurdly strong for a 7th level feature, especially one that scales so well as the fighter gets more damage and attacks. The samurai basically gets a more defensive version of this ability as it's CAPSTONE, and he can only use it once per long rest.

Thanks man, these are a great start. Me and my group have been playing d&d in one form or another for almost 4 decades, and while we enjoy 5e a lot, it seems that every weapon is the same and the system seems to push players toward polearms, great swords, and mauls

Throughout d&d's history magic-users (and wizards in modern editions) have always been the guys with the most choice. We all kind of like the idea of an experienced fighter having a tool for every combat scenario, hence the need for differentiating weapons

Go Half-Elf for +1 STR and CON
Barbarian 2/ Champion Fighter 15
Reckless everytime
39% crit chance

I actually like Bloodsport Showman, Between that and Work The Crowd, it gives utility to a class that normally lacks it. Roar of the Crowd is an appropriately powerful ability, but combined with the Feint ability, you're going to be a super healing machine if you even get remotely lucky.

Exerceo is a boring ability that makes no sense within the context of the archetype. I can buy adding your physical stats to your Charisma based rolls (the strength for intimidate thing definitely makes a lot of sense to me) but adding CHA to your attacks? And CHA to athletics and acrobatics? Are you such a damn good charmer that you can fight better because of your charm? It'd make more sense if it was a magical archetype. Not to mention +5 attack is insane. If I was level 18 and I was this archetype, I'd just say fuck fighting unarmed and go GWM and spam attacks while constantly feinting for 6 attacks each round, half of which have advantage and all of which negate half of the negative of GWM. This is so easy to exploit.

By the way, I made those under the assumption that these are just properties that the weapons have, not each distinct feats in and of themselves.

Good, that's what they're meant to be

>It's multiclass bait
>multiclassing homebrew

that being said it sounds like shit anyway.

Generally speaking, 5e doesn't want you to gain any more actions by any means other than Haste or Action Surge. And generally speaking, you can only use extra attack features by taking the Attack action, so not on a reaction or bonus action. Being able to extra attack on a reaction is one of those things you should think long and hard about because it fundamentally alters your personal action economy in ways most classes can't do.

>Artificer or Mystic?

Neither if going with their current version. Artificer if they make it half-caster, shove the gun up Matt Mercer's ass, make the pet into a subclass instead of base class feature, and revamp crafting

What if I dropped the advantage part on the reaction attack?

You're still gambling losing out on a rounds worth of damage.
Any suggestions for a different capstone?

The best way to fix PAM/GWM/XBE/SS is to remove them entirely. If your physical guys want extra shit to do, Martial Adept is right there.

Overall Gladiator is a broken archetype. It has some flavor here and there, but absurdly powerful abilities along with a capstone that kills a lot of the flavor really just ruins it for me. I wouldn't let a player bring this to my table, not for a normal game.

Next, onto Beast Knight.

Beast Knight seems to be overall much, much more balanced, although I'd still throw a couple of nerfs it's way. Currently Beast Knight is just as versatile as a Battlemaster, if not more so. I'd make it to where you could only change only once every short rest. Keeps you from just taking 10 minutes of spare time to swap over and over. Mark of the Chitin and Herd have fairly powerful 1st level features, although not terribly. I'd completely reword the Chitin's one. Poisoned is not an at will condition you want to throw around. I'd also make it to where Herd can only knock prone on the first attack after his movement

This is pretty cool. I guess I'll have to tweak it, but damn this is cool.

Maybe I can get rid of GWM and PAM

Right, so the best way to fix them is to fuck with class balance so there's little to no point in using big weapons or playing fighter at all.
Great work, Sherlock.

I feel like maneuvers should be a reward for picking Fighter.

>fuck with class balance
The game wasn't balanced around feats

>there's little to no point in using big weapons
They still deal the most damage, this just make TWF viable

>playing fighter at all
You MIGHT have a point at higher levels (that most people don't even play), but getting max STR at 6 is pretty good, it also lets you choose "worse" races for fighters and smart/wise/charismatic martials.

Why are weapons not allowed to have different properties? Are you Mike Mearls or something?

Honestly I'd rework the ability entirely. I'd make it a bonus action, remove the advantage on attacks vs the target, and have a single reaction attack on a miss.

As far as a different capstone goes, I'd give a sort of "King of the Arena" ability that gives him a bonus to Athletics, Acrobatics, attack and damage based on the number of "spectators" with a cap of +5 that lasts for a minute. It's more powerful, more situational, and overall more flavorful.

>The best way to fix PAM/GWM/XBE/SS is to remove them entirely
Wording this

Cool, take away Martial's best options. Sounds fair, as long as you cut Wizards down to 1 spell per level as well and remove Transmutation, Conjuration, and Illusion from their options as well. After all, there's like a dozen flavors of "I shoot them with an element" right there if they want variety.

The sad part is, that's STILL more fucking options than Martials have.

shit design (weapon feats) isn't a good solution to another shit design (limited martial options).

Classes aren't balanced around feats. Repeat after me. Classes are not balanced around feats.

Battlemaster gets bigger dice and more maneuvers. Nothing takes that away from them.

They already have different properties. They are Light, Heavy, Two-handed, Versatile, Reach, Thrown, Loading, Finesse, Special, and Ammunition

They're referring to this, which I think was posted as a way to get rid of feats.

Are the kobold press books worth getting? Really interested in the dungeon maps and beast tome

Dubs decide what I play for the one shot one of my players is coming up with for next session so I can take a break from DMing

Those properties mean pretty much nothing. Every weapon feels the same in 5e.

It isn't a good solution bit it's a better solution.

That's why I'm saying an even better solution is to remove them but recompensate them by upgrading all weapons.

>Actually believing fighters aren't balanced around feats
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I never said it was, but taking away a shit answer and replacing it with an even shittier one doesn't help either.

Elven Accuracy Barbarian with Lucky Feat.

Have fun rolling 4 dice and picking the best of all four.

>Actually believing fighters are balanced around feats
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

>Classes aren't balanced around feats
>But some classes get extra ASIs specifically to spend on feats.

>But some classes get extra ASIs specifically to spend on feats.
[citation needed]

Show me the math that says that Fighters need PAM/GWM or XBE/SS to compete on DPR with other DPR classes. I'll wait.

If you need feats, multiclassing, or splatbooks to do it, kindly kill yourself before hitting Submit.

>henti

halfling barbarian
or half orc rogue

or unarmed dwarf barbarian/monk

Bu user, fighters deal 0,000001% less damage than other martials! This game is broken! There is no balance without feats!

Now Sadist I actually like a good bit and I would actually allow at my table. I don't think I'd make any drastic changes to this one, except maybe buff Bloodhound a bit as it's far too situational.

I actually started reading this with really low hopes after gladiator was a mess, but was surprised as to how fun Sadist seems.

All UA is allowed btw

Firstly, what the fuck do you expect them to do with all their extra ASIs?
Up their intelligence?

Secondly, why would you ever progress barbarian past 5 if multiclassing is allowed considering that barbarogue blows no-feat barbarian out of the water?

No, heck, why bother using big weapons at all? Just get duelling + sword+shield.

Thirdly, how come then that casters do practically the same damage as fighter which is supposed to be good at dealing damage?

I can go give you that later since I'm slightly busy right now but have this in the meantime.
The main thing to question is how much stronger they are than casters. It's not that casters will do more at-will damage, but that fighters need to do a lot more at-will damage than casters because they sacrifice a lot of out of combat utility and control and AoEs and burst to get that at-will damage.

>Citation needed
NIGGA WHAT?
READ THE DAMN HANDBOOK!

I'd actually prefer a game where weapon feats were banned and martials would play something other than PAM GWF for everything melee. It adds staleness to the game. Feats are an optional rule and none of the classes are designed assuming they can get feats.
You really are the worst poster here right now.

Literally nowhere in the Feat OR Fighter section does it say that the extra ASIs are intended to be used on Feats, a feature the PHB goes out of the way in saying is optional.

It's you who should read the book

>I'd actually prefer a game where weapon feats were banned and martials would play something other than PAM GWF for everything melee
This

Not only is it optional but by default Variant ASI rules are not in effect. Gotta go through the DM for that stuff.

>Martials have no out of combat utility!
>What are they SUPPOSED to spend their ASIs on? Stats that increase their out of combat utility?!?!

I find it funny that the people who complain the martials don't have options outside combat are the first to say they need to take the MORE DAMAGE feats

What do you think about replacing the death saving throw, saving throws and skills?

>Martials can increase their intelligence for better out of combat utility!
>+1 on int rolls is totally gonna blow this +5 int wizard with whole books full of effects that can't be replicated with skill check out! He's gonna be so jealous! Suck it, bard, I don't care if you have proficiency in fucking everything, I have PLUS ONE to my charisma checks now!

@54538671
Nice straw man

If you're saying martials should take non-combat feats, this user is saying that martials aren't balanced around feats and thus should be fine even if they take non-combat feats such as ritual caster.

That's an extremely vague and broad question. Without knowing what you intend to replace those three barely-related things with, none of us have any way to give a meaningful answer.

>martials aren't balanced around feats and thus should be fine even if they take non-combat feats such as ritual caster.
They are

>death saving throw
Replace it with what? I think reworking death rules in general is a good idea, but what would you replace the death saving throw itself with?
>saving throws
As in all saving throws? With what? A Will/Reflex/Fortitude defense system like in 4e? That seems like a lot of work for minimal benefit.
>skills
I think the skill system in 5e is fine. At first I hated it, but I've grown to appreciate it for what it is.

I don't know what your asking, but I've replaced skills with a much more complex system that's a bastardization from earlier versions because players are simply getting tired of the lack of quality crunch 5e has compared to 3.5e.

>Replace it with what? I think reworking death rules in general is a good idea, but what would you replace the death saving throw itself with?

Really interested in good ideas for this, death saves are one of the worst parts of the game.

Ideally for me it would be better if it was harder for PCs to get KO'd, but once they do, much more likely for them to die. Keep the overall mortality rate of the game the same but have players spend less turns KO'd and unable to act.

Not taking double shot, cbe and ss to double your number of attacks and doing +10 dmg on all of them.
Champion fighter op

I've had an idea for an small rework of the skill system that allows a better expression of how good a character is a certain skills rather than locking them into the exact same +prof bonus for everything.

Each class gets a number of skill points equal to however many skills their class is allowed to get normally times two. A fighter would get four points while a rogue gets eight.

Whenever you choose a skill, you spend a certain number of points. If you spend 1 point, you get the skill as a minor skill, meaning you add only half your proficiency bonus to that skill, but you're still considered proficient. Spending two points gets you normal proficiency. Spending four points gets your expertise.

Every time you get an ASI, you get a skill point. You can use that skill point to get a new skill or "upgrade" a skill. It takes one point to make a minor skill into a normal skill and two to make a normal skill into an expertise.

I haven't tested it yet, but on paper it seems like it's not an overly complicated way of doing skills while stilling being faithful to some of the core mechanics.

Sure you did.

>Quality
>Crunch

Pick one, because "crunch" is kind of the exact opposite of "quality" game design. Nobody wants to have to study spreadsheets and shit just to play their character decently. Leave that shit in Pathfinder Hell where it belongs.

Streamlined crunch is higher quality crunch. No bearing on effectiveness of the characters or any of that.

Not everybody is interested in replicating the Critical Role masturbatory experience user, It's impressive you can spend an hour talking about eating dragon semen but something people want to actually play the game aspect of RPG.

There's always been some amount of crunch in DnD. How much you like is just a matter of preference. To say all crunch is the opposite of quality is a subjective statement, not an objective one.

Thanks lol. Suggestions for Bloodhound?

EBBERON

Do you NEED a cleric/paladin to successfully complete Curse of Strahd?

>Someone else posting Eberron
Quick, tell me your favorite part of it.
Looking to run a game set in it but not sure if my players would like it

>nor are they meant to be specializations.
>The point is not to force martials to specialize in one weapon and limit themselves
>Level up individual types of weapons by counting kills, up to a maximum level of four, but maybe you won't actually get to max level even at max kills, so you dump that weapon in the trash and try for a new one.
No, it's a system for randomly specializing in weapons. is right.

I would just completely replace the feature. Seeing as your point pool disappears after a minute and your skill would likely be used out of combat, I don't think spending two points just to gain advantage on two social skill checks and stealth is all too useful. The only part that seems useful is maybe the stealth bit if you want to sneak away from an enemy after going ham on them. The feature is just overall poorly designed.