What does your character read in their spare time?

What does your character read in their spare time?
Do they carry any books with them?

Book of Botanical Etchings, Information, and Magickal Correspondences

I read it all the time! Super expensive and well-bound. I traded some secrets out of it with sentient mushrooms for access to their secret tunnel to the tomato goddess shrine actually. Besides that I use it for all sorts of things - rituals, cooking, first aid, amusement, etc.

trashy romance novels. she secretly hopes to be carried off on a white horse by a prince-y guy into the sunset to a castle, where they'll have a hundred babies together.

a girl can dream

Fortunes. From palms of friends, knuckle bones of strangers and viscera of enemies.

My Drow cartographer mostly carries maps and books on history for relevant nearby areas... Not much time for free reading, sadly.

Gravenhollow had some interesting books on magical items to track down and how to close a portal to hell, though.

Probably reads eldritch scrawlings from his spell tome. That or history textbooks.

Current character can't carry reading material on her person. No room for it after ammo, weapons, survival gear, and foodstuffs. When she's not traveling she likes reading philosophy and treatises on martial arts. She's also got quite a soft spot for legends and folk tales.

Another character devours technical documents any time he can get his hands on them, and then promptly throws them away after he's memorized whatever the document is describing.

Third character likes to spend time hunting for children's stories to tell his daughter when he's not studying scripture.

>Kobold royal guard in homebrew setting.
>Start realising that in order to save the kingdom, he must begin to be able to not let his emotions get in the way.

He's actually studying in the library with his young "squire" about history and wars of the kingdom, how the city of Obsidian defended against the orcish invasion and why the Kobold failed miserably their counter attack.

I play a barbarian that is illiterate.

It has yet to come up.

>Party of wizards make fun of the barbarian for not reading books.
>Old ass runes on cave. All of the wizards can't understand them, barbarian chuckles.
>"What did you read Barbara ?
>"It says "Curse to anyone who can't read theses runes."
>It was a dick joke all along, Barbarian carves the word "Dicking" under it, advocating it as an "anti curse rune".

He plays cards.
that or tend to the two kids who just ended up tagging along with him. One being some wizard's experiment that he rescued while trying to rob the guy, the other being an apprentice he gained.

>implying my character can read

I'm too busy being actually slow in the head. It's an fun character.

He used to be a big fan of romance, adventure, noble intrigue, and such, but more and more now, it all just kind of makes him sad. He can't read a fictional story without comparing himself to the protagonists and measuring their successes against his own not-successes. Especially the romance stuff - he's too paranoid for romance to be possible. Either he's gonna snap, or someone's gonna snap him out of it... eventually.

What are some good titles for novels my D&D character might read? Adventure novels, mysteries, horror, whatver.

Novels were actually not really a thing for medieval Europeans, with the first novels appearing at the end of the age.

My kobold carries a book on dwarven siege weaponry that he pretends to read and study in his down time but he can't read and he's just trying to fit in with what the cool surface people adventurers are doing

He cant read.

De Re Militari.

That's cute as FUCK nigga

My paladin mostly reads trashy erotica. She's the shy virgin type but really wants to find a soulmate and experience all the weird feelings the women in the books feel.

She will be disappointed whoever she meets

>What does your character read in their spare time?
Stories of adventure and also comedies.

>Do they carry any books with them?
No, but he's got two big-ass libraries

Machiavelli.

Books. Lots of books. Books on echanting, ancient grimoires, dissertations on magical theory, historical texts written by other races, long-forgotten books from long-dead empires and kingdoms written in long-dead languages, etc.
He always has at least one book on his person, but he's also constructed a portable portal to his house so he can return to his study at any point in time.

As an oprhan and former street urchin my character couldn't read, but she owned a much cherished book on knights and chivalry. In her downtime/privacy she would pour over the drawings and artwork of knights and pretend to read the text. Trying her best to copy or mimic the diagrams of melee combat.

She did eventually fight mutated snail-like creatures and they kicked her ass.

Oh I was asking about my fictional D&D character, not medieval Europeans.

My bard is the party historian, recording their adventures and sending the books off to local bardic colleges for distribution. She's a little skewed in her recording though, since she's crushing on the paladin and hates the wizard who keeps trying to polymorph into more and more attractive/exotic forms to seduce him. She's also got some books on dancing that she picked up in town last session since there's a ball the party got invited to, and a book full of explosive rune spells that she's saving for a special occasion.

Ship archives. There's a conventional library deck and another full of data storage. Downtime she just sits there with tubes plugged into her head and absorbs everything even tangentially relevant, with breaks for bullying superior officers and egregious dress up. Nobody needs to know that Arbitrator Foreboding the Complete Edition is 'tangentially relevant' as well.

Mainly smut and fanfiction, both read on my orc street sammy's phone.