Ops and Tactics I love my 1911s Edition

>What the hell is Ops and Tactics and why did you write this?

Ops and Tactics is/was a rework of the terribly awful modern game D20 Modern that produces enough differences in said game to be considered it's own. It's goal was to do the following things

1. Make Combat more fluid and less rigid like the D20/D&D style outright demands.
2. Make it reflect the real attributes of weapons and armor, in a more realistic sense, while being as playable as possible.
3. Make everything else suck less, at least in my opinion.
4. Introduce a more modular way to handle magic, Incantations/Invoking(My own..thing), Psionics, and equipment. There is also a lot of equipment.

>Why do you keep posting this?

Cause I keep changing things. This latest version got rid of archetypes. I'll post the changelogs for each book below.

>Bloat!

SQuATs. Enjoy your bloat free game! You knwo who are you are.

>What kind of game is this good for?

Games with a lot of gunfights, where you want the realistic guns but you don't want the slow down. Also for people at least somewhat familiar with the D20 System.

>GURPS!

Go play gurps.

There is a blog: opsandtactics.blogspot.com and a website: www.opsandtactics.com

As always, I'll be posting and answering questions, as well as posting the current releases of the books.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UwjhWJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This update was huge. I changed a lot of stuff. So here it is!

6.08 to 6.09
Corrected issues with the colt Lighting and thunderer(They're DA guns, not SA guns)
Changed 44 Henry to 2d6+1, making it's recoil -2
Changed the 44-40 to 1d10+5, making it's recoil -5
Changed 6.8 SPC to 5d4+3 , making it's recoil -6 and moved it to intermediate rifle
Gave the Greatsword a 10 ft reach
Changed Integral stock to PDW/Handgun ONLY
Changed HE launched to concussive only
Increased cover bonuses.
Changed formatting to make firearms easier to read.
Made numerous modifcations to the concealiblity of firearms to provide a more diverse set of concealable spans that were current
Added Minishells to shotguns
Changed the shotgun Quote
Changed the notion of "integrated" to "permanent" to avoid confusion. permanent objects on firearms can't be removed.
Consolidated the Rifle and shotgun feats so that they are all one kind of feat and removed some of the "Tactical" reload notions that was being pointed at
Changed all notions of "Fixed barrel" to "Break Barrel"
Increased Sling steady feat to +2
Increased all Saving throw feats to +4
Combat Throw increased to +3
Changed magnum shells so it reduces 1 per 3
Removed the Ablity for a wax slug to take the benefits of a slug barrel
Added the Advanced Combat sight in the 3.1-6x range.
Added the Gripod, a vertical foregrip/bipod hybrid
Clarified Text for Contolled shot Feat
Clarified SNiper rifle, DMR and AMR expert feats saying that they only get the reduction when using a rifle with a magnified optic.
Doubled the ammount of primers you get per box
Corrected the painkiller issue so that you can't give it to people with CHP, but no XHP
Increased the ammount a spray bandage bottle heals to 1d3

This is the rest of the changelog for the core rulebook.

Increased Wrist wrap bonus to damage to +3
Added the Sig P320 Family, as they won the XM17 Contest
Added the Model 27 Registered Magnum
Added PM-63 RAK
Added PM-84 Glaubery
Added the Schmidt Rubin Model 1911 Rifle and carbine
Added Sig 510
Added CZ 528
Added Browning A bolt bolt action shotgun
Lost count of the guns. Removed the gun counter.
Changed "Hiring requirements" to "Job Change requirements" to make it more clear
Made the following Changes to attacks:

Burst Fire: Increased 2r to CRP-2 and 3r to CRP-4
Autofire: Increased to CRP-7
Double Tap: Increased to CRP-3
Slamfire: Increased 2r to CRP-4 and 3r to CRP-5
Bumpfire: Increased to CRP-8

Changed The following Ranged Weapon Upgrades:

Ported Barrel: Now negates Recoil by 1 instead of granting a +1 Bonus
Match Barrel: Added Machine pistols to the list of possibles to receive the upgrade.
Compensator: Now Negatates recoil by 2 instead of granting a +2 bonus
Muzzle Brake: Now Negates recoil by 3 instead of granting a +3 Bonus
Bipod: Grants a +3 attack bonus when used.
Detailing: Grants a +5 Bonus to all presence checks, and even huge weapons get the bonus now.(Gold plated Anti-material rifle FTW)

Fixed stock: Now Negates Recoil by 2 instead of granting a +1 attack to multishot attacks
Synthetic stock: Now increases Recoil by 2 instead of granting a +1 attack to multishot attacks
Buffer stock: Now Negates Recoil by 5 instead of granting a +3 attack to multishot attacks
Detatchable Stock: Now Negates Recoil by 2 instead of granting a +1 attack to multishot attacks
Speedfeed stock: Now Negates Recoil by 2 instead of granting a +1 attack to multishot attacks
Integral STock: Now Negates Recoil by 1 instead of granting a +1 attack to multishot attacks

Vertical Foregrip: Now Negates Recoil by 1 instead of Granting a +1 attack to multishot attacks
Magazine Foregrip: Now Negates Recoil by 1 instead of Granting a +1 attack to multishot attacks

Next up is Advanced Arms, the Futuristic book.

Removed the AI from the Skiff(It was a mistake)
Fixed errors in Spaceships
Removed the requirement to point weapon mounts, they now function as the default, where you orient the weapons when they are installed
Changed Sublight engines so that they scale with size.
Changed Firearm formatting to the new style of formatting
Aded the notion that shields will be down for at least one round
Changed "Hiring requirements" to "Job Change requirements" to make it more clear
Changed Removed Tactical Plasma rifle reload and patched it into the current reloader feats
Removed all of the tactical plasma feats and instead tied them into Shotgun, Rifle, and handgun reloader feats in Core

And modern Magika!

6.05 to 6.06
Somehow I fucked up the numbering. Fixed that.
Corrected
Changed Spellcasting so that you can overwrite your old spells, like a harddrive.
Clarified the distance one can be away from their spells and still cast them
Changed Conjuration in the following ways:

Teleporting someone hostile is a ranged touch
You can't make portals where someone is occupied
One exit of the portal must be within 5 ft of the caster(Can increase, with SP)

FID! The Field Identification guide is the monster manual.

Enjoy it! Craft worked hard on it.

This is the form fillable character sheet.

It also works for printing!

SQUATS! The simplified quick action tactics system is a boiled down easy to run/play version of Ops and Tactics.

Mostly used for getting people away from GUPRS or pathfinder.

Procedural weapons!

This is basically a thing for creating your own random guns.

Enjoy it!

gee thanks Sweet Soul Bro for the awesome system.

This

>Mostly used for getting people away from GUPRS or pathfinder.
Bro, your system IS pathfinder.

>simplified
>71 pages long
GURPS Lite is shorter and has plenty of guns rules itself. Why shouldn't I just play that?

>GURPS Lite is shorter and has plenty of guns rules itself. Why shouldn't I just play that?

I dunno. If you want to play gurps go play gurps.

>Bro, your system IS pathfinder.
Ops and Tactics is nothing like pathfinder.

>Ops and Tactics is nothing like pathfinder.
It's d20 modern with 3d6 and action point economy.

OATS OATS OATS

>It's d20 modern with 3d6 and action point economy.

That ain't like pathfinder.

Also, there are a lot of minor things involved in the game that just blanketing it saying "It's d20 modern" isn't really true.

Also, you're welcome!

I'll stick with Savage Worlds for my tacticool needs, thankyouverymuch

No problem. Savage worlds is a good system.
'
Thanks for checking it out though!

I'm suddenly curious if anyone ever remade Big Boss' M1911 from MGS3.

>I'm suddenly curious if anyone ever remade Big Boss' M1911 from MGS3.

Expensive Full size handguns, page 140 on the book, or 153 from the PDF.

Called Naked Snake's Custom 1911A1

Or did you mean a real one?

SSB, first of all:
>is having a handle that acronmyizes just like SuperSmashBros a coincidence or intended?
and
>I've mostly finished writing my own system, a Dieselpunk PostPost Apoc system: based on your experiences is it worth putting it out on Veeky Forums before trying to release it? Do you think the community ill prove (assuming it's good)

Bumping the thread out of respect. I seriously dislike 3e and the d20 system and the fact that I liked OAT says a lot about its quality.

>is having a handle that acronmyizes just like SuperSmashBros a coincidence or intended?

Happy Accident

>>I've mostly finished writing my own system, a Dieselpunk PostPost Apoc system: based on your experiences is it worth putting it out on Veeky Forums before trying to release it? Do you think the community ill prove (assuming it's good)

I put my stuff out on Veeky Forums so that people can rip it apart. That's how It got to the level it is now. Constant critisim.

SO go for it, but you gotta be sure when it's critism and when it's "It sucks because Its not what I want"

Thanks man!

>1911s
I don't care if they're outdated as fuck, favorite handgun by far.

Same. I own 6 of the things.

I love me some 1911s.

>outdated
No fucking way they're outdated.

They still kill people.

This is your once-a-thread reminder that it's a bad idea to base your game off of something that NOBODY liked.

But user, that's EXACTLY why i did it.

It makes no sense to try and "improve" a good game.

It's not worth the overhaul. The core d20 system is just not a good fit for a modern simulationist tacticool game for /k/fags. The very foundation of this project is a mistake. You should delete everything you've written and never speak of it again.

>Being this upset over someones homebrew RPG on fucking Veeky Forums.
wew user.

Nah.

The people who like it, play it, and contribute wouldn't like that.

I wouldn't like that.

So i'm not gonna do that.

Also i agree with you. The core D20 is a poor System for simulationist combat.

Its a good think Ops and Tactics isnt a simulation. If you want simulaton, twilight and PC have you covered.

Furthermore, what is actually left of d20?

Feel free to point out anything specific in the rules you think doesn't work and why.

Forgot my trip. This is for

>the simplified version for people who don't want all the bloat!
>it still has seven, SEVEN different tables of weapon mods

You are deep in the spectrum if you think that stats for ten different kinds of weapon stocks are "simple."

rolling a d20 to hit shit, skills, feats, what's left of d20 is basically all of it. You just added a bunch of extra tables and more weapons than anyone would ever want or need.

I didn't want to make it so boring where you couldn't mod your weapons.

You think that the upgrades are too much for the simple game?

Upgrades shouldn't exist at all. The difference between a gun with a mod and a gun without it is minor enough to be glossed over.

>roll a d20
So you didn't actually read it.

And yes, feats and skills exist.

How would you have done it?

So a gun with a match barrel, threaded and suppressed, folding stock, laser, flashlight, and red dot is the same as a off the rack gun?

Yes. If anything, it should be worse because it's covered in crap. I notice that mods are always strict upgrades, which I thought /k/fags had outgrown by now after people made fun of how they put too many mods on everything.

>match barrel
>suppressor
>red dot

>covered in crap

This progress grandpa fudd. The future is now. Go back to your remchesterby and your hard candy.

I jest but seriously the are upgrades. They help you shoot better.

And yet people whose jobs involve being armed don't cover their guns in this kind of shit. Clearly they know something you don't.

Probably that one or two upgrades is enough, and too many get in your way and causee logistics issues. And that should be resolved with other rules.

>And yet people whose jobs involve being armed don't cover their guns in this kind of shit. Clearly they know something you don't.
What are you talking about!? Nearly every cop that runs an AR-15 has either a RDS or a low mag optic.

The US armed forces issues trijicons for anything with a fucking rail, and soldiers get PEQs like candy.

Usually a vfg, a red dot/mag optic and a flashlight are where most people stop at.

Personally, I'd go with a rule of "you can add as many as your weight capacity allows, but people will make fun of you for having too many."

>Personally, I'd go with a rule of "you can add as many as your weight capacity allows, but people will make fun of you for having too many."

I think that goes without saying.

Maybe each mod could impose a small greebling penalty to hit, and so you should only install one if it will help negate an even bigger penalty you plan to face, like a scope for distance penalties, a stock for autofire penalties, or a flashlight/laser sight for light penalties.

>
>Maybe each mod could impose a small greebling penalty to hit, and so you should only install one if it will help negate an even bigger penalty you plan to face, like a scope for distance penalties, a stock for autofire penalties, or a flashlight/laser sight for light penalties.

Rules like this don't enhance the fun.

They seem like a solution looking for a problem.

The problem is that right now there's no reason not to encrust every gun in as many mods as it can hold without collapsing into a black hole, which feels very silly.

>
>The problem is that right now there's no reason not to encrust every gun in as many mods as it can hold without collapsing into a black hole, which feels very silly.

Cost, for one.

Secondly, lets take that thought.

A gun, at max, can have 3 frame upgrades, 3 barrel upgrades, a single optic, and 4 tactical upgrades.

Im going to use an AR for this expiriment.

The barrel is easy, match grade, short barrel that's threaded and has a suppressor. Big deal.

Frame is trickier. You can upgrade it to a grandmastercraft(+3), or you could make it full auto or burst fire. For the sake of arguing, well do a mastercraft upgrade, full auto, and burst fire.

Optics. Lets go with the advanced combat sight

Tactical rails. You can have a max of 4 on the rifle. I say you get a vertical foregrip, a flashlight, a laser sight and canted iron sights.

So we have made a SBR rifle, with a match grade barrel and threaded for a suppressor, that has a grip, a light, a laser, an ACS, and canted irons, that can do 3r burst and go full auto, and has a native +1 to hit.

That, user, is not what i would call a "black hole" of upgrades.

>And yet people whose jobs involve being armed don't cover their guns in this kind of shit

You got tardation?

Clearly we have different opinions regarding what is and isn't silly, because that sounds dumb as hell to me.

Also, regarding cost, most mods are so cheap relative to the guns they go on that they're essentially negligible, and any GM will probably not track that kind of shit anyway.

Those guys are clearly imitating what they saw in video games because that's what today's military base their behavior off of anyway.

>
>Clearly we have different opinions regarding what is and isn't silly, because that sounds dumb as hell to me.

Maybe. But i shoot competitively, and hang out with vets and cops, so that influences me. Everything i named is pretty common mods for guns. Its also all practical. Everything i named has a reason to be on that gun.

>Also, regarding cost, most mods are so cheap relative to the guns they go on that they're essentially negligible, and any GM will probably not track that kind of shit anyway.

Cost? As a gm i have people submit what they buy to me, and then go from there. But you sound like a rules lite kinda player to be honest(this isn't an insult, just an observation).

I'm not. I like customizing the things i use. I like having the option of building a rifle for long distance or cqc. And I'm willing to put in the book work to track cost and such.

>
>
>Those guys are clearly imitating what they saw in video games because that's what today's military base their behavior off of anyway.

Clearly. Surely it wasn't the other way around. Couldn't be. Had to be video games.

Thinking of running an O&T game for my group in the near future, probably with a Vietnam setting. You run any historical stuff SSB?

>Thinking of running an O&T game for my group in the near future, probably with a Vietnam setting. You run any historical stuff SSB?

Nope, but ive seen it run and ive seen it work. For vietnam, use the Ak-47 rules and the M-16 will be exactly the same, but remove all tactical and optical rails from it.

why bring up gurps at all
you bring this on yourself

also did you fix the number bloat yet, last time i played we ended up being able to ace absolutely any test we bothered to try by level 4 because we all had +10s to +16s in our relevant skills, while in combat cover and range penalties were made pointless by just picking up a few feats each.

I hate this app.

This is me.

>
>
>why bring up gurps at all
>you bring this on yourself

Becsuse i like to upset the gurpsfags, despite actually not hating gurps.

>also did you fix the number bloat yet, last time i played we ended up being able to ace absolutely any test we bothered to try by level 4 because we all had +10s to +16s in our relevant skills, while in combat cover and range penalties were made pointless by just picking up a few feats each.

Yeah. I fixed the combat bloat. The issue was that things gave bonuses instead of mitigating recoil.

Cover got increased too.
Also level 4 in ops is equavalent to level 8-10 in any other game. The game was originally built to stop scaling after 10. That is why xp is exponential, not linear. So +10-16 isnt all that unusual, if you're doing everything minmaxed.

Im making an interest check. I might GM a game where players are mercenaries hired to defend a European micro country on the coast of the Mediterranean.

The game will start sometime between WW1 and the 1950s and progress up to modern day featuring different types of warfare and enemies over the epochs. Players will level up by a process called generations whereby, as the epoch ends your surviving characters have children, which take half of the previous characters archetype and half of the new archetype using the multi-archetype characters in O&Ts. This may present unique genetic traits that your character can have as either dominant or recessive.

You will of course have a budget to buy equipment, you will also be tasked with training the civilians if you want their help later. They have almost no defence policy and most of the defence decisions will be made by YOU. These peoples lives are in your hands.

This game is for people who enjoy alternate history and nation states games, but also want to engage in firefights and small unit tactics. If you are interested, respond in this thread and we can open a dialogue on characters and game times.

>Im making an interest check. I might GM a game where players are mercenaries hired to defend a European micro country on the coast of the Mediterranean.

Sounds fun.
>The game will start sometime between WW1 and the 1950s and progress up to modern day featuring different types of warfare and enemies over the epochs. Players will level up by a process called generations whereby, as the epoch ends your surviving characters have children, which take half of the previous characters archetype and half of the new archetype using the multi-archetype characters in O&Ts. This may present unique genetic traits that your character can have as either dominant or recessive.

Wont work. There are no more archetypes. Check the new books man. Its on a "build your own" system now.

>You will of course have a budget to buy equipment, you will also be tasked with training the civilians if you want their help later. They have almost no defence policy and most of the defence decisions will be made by YOU. These peoples lives are in your hands.

K
>This game is for people who enjoy alternate history and nation states games, but also want to engage in firefights and small unit tactics. If you are interested, respond in this thread and we can open a dialogue on characters and game times.

Good luck

>Wont work. There are no more archetypes. Check the new books man. Its on a "build your own" system now.

Damn. I wanted to use the archetype system.

I guess i could still apply this system to the new rules.

That could work yeah

Bump

Do you have Discord?

discord.gg/UwjhWJ

I do have discord, and I usually hang out at I'm acutally getting on now

Bump