A Game of Knights Radiant

What's the best system for this?
& don't say GURPS

Anima

Hero

I dunno

First explain what the fuck this is

Because I know nothing about this, I'll just assume there's a lot of knights in it who fight.

So Strike!

Give me a d6 and a d20 to determine what kind of Knight you are!

Magic knights bonded to magical beings. These beings embody certain traits. For example one of the types is the embodyment of Honor, and another of being a lying jackass. So on and so forth. Honestly they are almost kinda like little mini eldritch abominations sometimes. The lying jackass one especially. Honor is best girl though.

Oh, and said bond gives the knight magical armor and weapons. The weapon can slice through anything buy the magical armor and cuts out souls rather than cut flesh and the armor is stupid hard to damage for anything except the magic weapons. Think that's pretty much the bare minimum explanation.

Does the magical being do anything, or is it just an excuse to have people with powers duking it out?

I wouldn't say GURPS, because GURPS kinda breaks when you start trying really high super shit like Shardblades, Szeth or the Greatshells. GURPS would however do the more mundane stuff of the plebs who aren't Soulcasting, Surgebinding gods among men

It does shit, but most of that shit is just empowering the knight. They do some stuff on their own, but it's kinda like a symbiotic relationship. They need the bonded human to stay sentient and tap into all of their powers. Book series isn't finished yet so we don't know how far the rabid hole goes at the mo. The magical being itself is almost on a different plane of existance, they kinda interact with our world, but not a ton. I think. It's complicated and I haven't read these in a few years. Forgive me for the poor answer.

Sounds good, is there a list of these beings/categories?

Can you just make up your own?

There were ten Orders of the Knights Radiant, each of which was bonded to a different kind of "spren" (which is what these beings are called). Thing is, we don't have names for most of the spren. We have names and descriptions for all of the orders, but not all of the spren. Here are then names we have at this point at least. Ask if you want specific information on any of them

Honorspren-Windrunners
Highspren-Skybreakers
Inkspren-Elsecallers
Liespren-Lightweavers
?-Edgedancers
?-Stonewards
?-Willshapers
?--Bondsmiths
?-Dustbringers
?-Truthwatchers

So yes, I suppose we could make up our own to represent the ones we don't know about. Actually that would be kind of fun. If you all are amenable I'll drop the information we have on each of these and we can speculate as to what sort of spren would be associated with the orders whose spren we don't know.

Well, I didIf you want you could try that and then fit/invent a spren to it.

I know nothing of Strike, but I'm willing to learn. Lemme start dropping some information and you can tell me what you think and how this might work out.

Forgive me if this isn't the right way to do it, but I'm just kinda go at it as it makes sense to me.

First things first, as a Knight Radiant they swear to Oaths and Ideals. Depending on the Order the specific Oaths and Ideals very, but all orders Hold the first in common.

The First Oath of the Knights Radiant is

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination" Which is interpreted thus.

Life before death - "The Radiant seeks to defend life, always. He never kills unnecessarily, and never risks his own life for frivolous reasons. Living is harder than dying. The Radiant's duty is to live."
Strength before weakness - "All men are weak at some time in their lives. The Radiant protects those who are weak, and uses his strength for others. Strength does not make one capable of rule; it makes one capable of service."
Journey before destination - "There are always several ways to achieve a goal. Failure is preferable to winning through unjust means. Protecting ten innocents is not worth killing one. In the end, all men die. How you lived will be far more important to the Almighty than what you accomplished.

Now that we have the foundation out of the way let's talk Windrunners.

Windrunners are bound to Honorspren. Honorspren are Spirits of oaths, promises, and nobility. They seek out humans with inclinations to truth and Justice. The second and third oaths of the Windrunners are

" I will protect those who cannot protect themselves ”
–The Second Ideal of the Windrunners
"I will protect even those I hate so long as it is right.”
–The Third Ideal of the Windrunners,

The Honorspren grants the Windrunner the ability to bind an object to another, and the ability to change the magnitude and direction of the pull of gravity or themselves or something they have touched for a time.

Palladium, obviously.

Up next Skybreakers.

Skybreakers are bound to Highspren. The Order's focus is upholding the rule of law, regardless of whether it is just or fair, and thus gained a reputation for being particularly unyielding. Skybreakers will obey the laws of a land regardless of whether it aligns with their specific goals, and if pursuing a target will only make an arrest or perform an execution if there are legal grounds for it under the laws of the land in which they happen to be.

Their second ideal is "I will put the law before all else" Third Ideal unknown, so first thing for us to speculate and make up I suppose.

The powers granted them by their spren are first, the ability to change the magnitude and direction of the pull of gravity for themselves or something they have touched for a time, and second to basically make shit blow up and crumble though the application of their powers.

Next we have Bondsmiths. We don't know what spren they were bound to, So that's something we can have fun coming up with.

Their second Ideal was "I will unite instead of divide. I will bring men together."

Third Ideal unknown.

Abilities granted by spren were the ability to bind to objects together, which is called the surge of adhesion for future reference, and the surge of Tension. Sadly, we have no idea what Tension does at this point. So we get to make it up. What kind of magic power sounds like it would be described as "Tension" to you?

For the record I am not op. Just thought I'd put it out there. Honestly I wouldn't have recommended trying to play a game based on this because there is so much we still don't know, but since we are here it might be kinda fun to try and make stuff up. I look forward to what Veeky Forums can come up with.

Hmm, considering the things described so far, I think a more free system like Fate/Accelerated could handle it better than Strike!, so I'm rescinding that suggestion.

The Oaths could easily work as aspects, and it handles more freeform-y powers better than games with strict rules/point costs.

Edgedancers. We don't know what kind of Spren they are bound to.

They were known to be the most laid back order.

In addition to the First Ideal they swear these two additional Oaths.
The Second Ideal

"I will remember those who have been forgotten.”

The Third Ideal

"I will listen to those who have been ignored"

The first ability granted to them by their spren is Abrasion. We know for a fact it lets them reduce the friction experienced by their own body, so they can glide around and slip and slide. I presume it would logically allow them to increase friction as well, since a lot of these abilities seem to go both ways.

The second power granted to them by their spren is Progression. This allows them to manipulate as speed up biological processes. It is described as the power of Growth and Healing, or Regrowth. This Surge can exponentially increase speed and manipulate plant growth. At advanced stages, it also enables the Surgebinder to heal other persons.

Next up is Dustbringers. They prefered to be called Releasers. They scared the ever living shit out of people apparently. They are known to have been very firm.

Spren uknown. Oaths unknown

Powers first Abrasion, the ability to manipulate friction and glide. Nimble fuckers.

Second, and here is the Kicker, Division. They can blow stuff up and cause stuff to crumble through the use of their powers. To quote one of the few passages we have that references them "Smoke curled from the occasional patches of growth or heaps of burning corpses. Even some sections of rock smoldered. The Dustbringers had done their work well."

What are you thinking so far? Interesting or no?

>What are you thinking so far? Interesting or no?

It's interesting, I just don't know what sort of game it'd play like.

Sounds like it could work for a superhero thing, but having orders with the same abilities sorta puts a damper on that.

Would doing something like "this order has this ability in general, but how exactly the users use it differs" be in theme?

For example
>Abilities granted by spren were the ability to bind to objects together, which is called the surge of adhesion

If character A belonging to the order used this exclusively to bind enemies to the ground/rocks to slow them down, while B would use it to mend wounds.

Truthwatchers. Spren unknown. Oaths unknown. They were exceedingly secretive and had an abundance of esoteric elements to their order.

Powers were llumination
The Surge of Light, Sound, and Various Waveforms. It's used to create illusions, both visual and auditory and Progression the power of Growth and Healing, or Regrowth.

Next up is Lightweavers. Their spren were Liespren otherwise known as Cryptics. Cryptics oddly enough despite being lie spren seem to have a thing for the Truth. A large part of being a Lighweaver was learning the truths behind the lies you tell yourself and achieving self awareness.

Unique among the orders they swore only one oath, and did not have additional oaths. They did however have a directive "You must speak truths". Unlike other Radiants who progressed by taking Oaths, they progressed by getting closer to the Truth.

The Lightweavers spoke truths as an approach to a threshold of self-awareness.They provided spiritual sustenance to their fellow Radiants.

Further, they were comprised of writers, artists, musicians, painters, and sculptors, who exhibited varied mnemonic abilities. Lotta navel gazing I reckon.

Their abilites were llumination
The Surge of Light, Sound, and Various Waveforms. and the ability of Transformation, the ability to change the form of matter.

It is true that each shares abilites with two others, and in a way I can see how that would be disapointing, so if you wanted to fluff it as having differences you could do that I suppose. The way it works in the books at least is that each is unique in the combination they have. Take for example Windrunners and Skybreakers. They both have gravitation right? So they can both make like it's a chop suey film leaping and flying all over the place, and yeah that's the same, but the Windrunner is going to be sticking himself and others to walls and objects and binding people and muking things up, and the Skybreaker is going to be causing booms.

tbc

is Kaladin /ourguy/?
>master of the art of /k/ombat
>spills spaghetti at the mere sight of hot lighteyed women
>knows everything there is to know about spears. /k/ as fuck

Now if we look at the others each of these are related to we have dustbringers who share with Skybreakers. They're both going to be causing booms, but one is going to be flying like he's on wires and one is going to be skating around like he's on an ice rink.

And if we look at Windrunners and Bondsmiths, yeah they both stick stuff together, but the Bondsmith isn't gonna be flying around while he's doing it and the Windrunner can't....whatever it is they end up being able to do. It's the unique combinations that distinguish them more than anything. Or at least that's the idea. No two have the same combo. But if you still feel they are too similar feel free to do as you feel is necessary so that you could enjoy it.

>has a massive chip on his shoulder
>spergs out autistically when angry

could well be.

fuck off Brandon hurry up and finish Oathbringer

ACKS
It's very easy to make custom classes for it, the rules are both unobtrusive and robust, and it supports the classic wandering adventuring party type of game very well.

I don't remeber anymore, is him being really really REALLY good with a spear a result of the whole spren/superpowers thing or was he just good from the get-go?

Last two orders.

Elsecallers. spren unknown. Oaths unknown.
They functioned as the intermediaries between the Knights radiant and the great ones amongst the spren

Powers were Transportation, which we're pretty sure is teleportation, and Transformation, transforming stuff.

Finally we have Willshapers. spren unknown, oath unknown. They were described as being capricious, frustrating and unreliable, with a general love of adventure, novelty or oddity.

Their abilities were transportation, and cohesion. We don't know how Cohesion works so go wild if you feel like coming up with something.

Bucket loads of God given natural talent, refined by endless hours of training, and finally perfected by superhuman capabilities granted by spren. It's no one thing so much as a mix of all three. He always had the natural talent but he never would have developed it if His brother hadn't died and he hadn't thrown himself body and soul into training and military life to keep himself from drowning in grief which incidentally is part of why he takes such good care of his men, which is part of what attracted the Honorspren to him which was the final element that made him one of the best fighters in the setting.

Thanks. Makes me wonder though how much the honorspren was attracted/ came to him, and in how much he actually "created" it, much like the liespren becomes more real/complicated throughout the novel.

Well it's not that they are creating them persee, it's that the spren have a symbiotic bond with them, and as that bond strengthens so does the spren. We see it with Syl and with the Cryptic, they get more coherent and remember more the further down the path their knight goes. The spren are dependent on their human partner for sentience, without them they are mindless, makes sense that they get a bit more complex as they get closer.

ACKS?

Adventurer Conqueror King System

Exalted 2nd adjusting the tone and some house-ruliing. Spren and Exaltations are almost the same, and they share heroes wearing a metric tonne of magic armor and summoning two-handed swords that should weight hundreds of pounds.

Besides giving the human superpowers? Well, they can transform into the mentioned slice-through-anything swords.

Limit wouldn't make you go crazy, it would make you loose your powers.

Shardblades are basically starmetal daiklaves with a sentient god in them.

D&gurps fuck you.