/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Last Stand Of The Berkshires Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/crlqec68zu62evd/Osprey - MAA 072 - North-West Frontier 1837-1947.pdf
mediafire.com/file/d17syvu103fwmc3/Osprey - MAA 092 - Indian Infantry Regiments 1860-1914.pdf
mediafire.com/file/z60ba6lcl3iiliu/Osprey - MAA 198 - The British Army on Campaign 1816-1902 (3) 1856-81.pdf
mediafire.com/file/kwztlgvi1hakz99/Osprey - MAA 219 - Queen Victoria's Enemies (3) India.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=U8tgc4U7WbM
discord.gg/GBcypkT
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

July 27th in military history:

1054 – Siward, Earl of Northumbria invades Scotland and defeats Macbeth, King of Scotland somewhere north of the Firth of Forth.
1189 – Friedrich Barbarossa arrives at Niš, the capital of Serbian King Stefan Nemanja, during the Third Crusade.
1202 – Georgian–Seljuk wars: At the Battle of Basian the Kingdom of Georgia defeats the Sultanate of Rum.
1214 – Battle of Bouvines: Philip II of France decisively defeats Imperial, English and Flemish armies, effectively ending John of England's Angevin Empire.
1299 – According to Edward Gibbon, Osman I invades the territory of Nicomedia for the first time, usually considered to be the founding day of the Ottoman state.
1302 – Battle of Bapheus: Decisive Ottoman victory over the Byzantines opening up Bithynia for Turkish conquest.
1689 – Glorious Revolution: The Battle of Killiecrankie ends.
1778 – American Revolution: First Battle of Ushant: British and French fleets fight to a standoff.
1816 – Battle of Negro Fort: The battle ends when a hot shot cannonball fired by US Navy Gunboat No. 154 explodes the Fort's Powder Magazine, killing apx. 275. It is considered the deadliest single cannon shot in US history.
1857 – Siege of Arrah begins: 68 men hold out for 8 days against a force of 2,500 to 3,000 mutinying sepoys and 8,000 irregular forces.
1880 – Second Anglo-Afghan War: Battle of Maiwand: Afghan forces led by Mohammad Ayub Khan defeat the British Army in battle near Maiwand, Afghanistan.
1900 – Kaiser Wilhelm II makes a speech comparing Germans to Huns; for years afterwards, "Hun" would be a disparaging name for Germans.
1941 – Japanese troops stationed in Tonkin occupy the southern portion of French Indochina.
1942 – World War II: Allied forces successfully halt the final Axis advance into Egypt.
1953 – Fighting in the Korean War ends when the United States, China, and North Korea sign an armistice agreement.

It is 137 years since the Battle of Maiwand, one of the principal battles of the Second Anglo-Afghan War. Under the leadership of Ayub Khan, the Afghans defeated a much smaller force consisting of two brigades of British and Indian troops under Brigadier-General George Burrows; albeit at a high price. It was one of the most notorious Victorian military disasters.

Before the battle, the campaign had gone well for the British. They had defeated Afghan tribesmen in several battles and occupied numerous towns and villages, including Kandahar.

Ayub Khan, who had been holding Herat during the British operations at Kabul and Kandahar, set out towards Kandahar with a small army in June 1880, and a brigade under Brigadier-General Burrows was detached from that city to oppose him. Burrows' brigade, some 2,500 strong with about 500 British troops including a battery of 9-pounder cannons, advanced to Helmand, but was there deserted by the levies of Shere Ali, the British-appointed Wali of Kandahar. Burrows's troops engaged and defeated the rebellious levies and captured 4 smoothbore 6-pounder guns and 2 smoothbore 12-pounders howitzers. Burrows then fell back to a position at Kushk-i-Nakhud, halfway to Kandahar where he could intercept Ayub Khan if he headed for either Ghazni or Kandahar. He remained there a week, during which time the captured guns were added to his force with additional gunners drawn from the British infantry.

On the afternoon of the 26th information was received that the Afghan force was making for the Maiwand Pass a few miles away. Burrows decided to move early the following day to break-up the Afghan advance guard. At about 10am horsemen were seen and engaged, and the brigade started to deploy for battle. Burrows was not aware that it was Ayub's main force. The Afghans numbered 25,000 including Afghan regular troops and five batteries of artillery, including some very modern Armstrong guns.

The Afghan guns gradually came into action and a three-hour artillery duel ensued at an opening range of about 1,700 yards (1,600 m), during which the British-captured smoothbore guns on the left expended their ammunition and withdrew to replenish it. This enabled the Afghans to force the left hand battalion back. The left flank comprising Indian infantry regiments gave way and rolled in a great wave to the right, the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment, the backbone of defence, were swept away by the pressure of the Ghazi attack

E Battery / B Brigade Royal Horse Artillery (Captain Slade commanding) and a half-company of Bombay Sappers and Miners under Lieutenant Henn (Royal Engineers) stood fast, covering the retreat of the entire British Brigade. E/B RHA kept firing until the last moment, two sections (four guns) limbering up when the Afghans were 15 yards (14 m) away, but the third section (Lt Maclaine) was overrun. Maclaine was captured and held as a prisoner in Kandahar, where his body was found at Ayub Khan's tent during the British attack on 1 September, apparently murdered to prevent his liberation. The British guns captured during the action were also recovered at Kandahar.

E/B RHA came into action again some 400 yd back (370 m). The Sappers and Miners retreated as the guns withdrew. Henn and 14 of his men afterwards joined some remnants of the 66th Foot and Bombay Grenadiers in a small enclosure at a garden in a place called Khig where a determined last stand was made. Though the Afghans shot them down one by one, they fired steadily until only eleven of their number were left, and the survivors then charged out into the masses of the enemy and perished. Henn was the only officer in that band and he led the final charge.

Word of the disaster reached Kandahar the following day and a relief force was dispatched. This met the retreating force at Kokeran.

The British were routed, but managed a withdrawal due to their own efforts and the apathy of the Afghans. Of the 2,476 British troops engaged, the British and Indian force lost 21 officers and 948 soldiers killed, and eight officers and 169 men were wounded: the Grenadiers lost 64% of their strength and the 66th lost 62%, including twelve officers, of those present (two companies being detached); the cavalry losses were much smaller. Two Victoria Crosses were awarded for acts of valour performed during the battle and during the retreat to Kandahar, both to the RHA.

One estimate of Afghan casualties is 3,000, reflecting the desperate nature of much of the fighting, although other sources give 1,500 Afghans and up to 4,000 Ghazis killed.

The battle dampened morale for the British side, but was also partly a disappointment for Ayub Khan, because he had lost so many men to gain a small advantage. Ayub Khan did manage to shut the British up in Kandahar, resulting in General Frederick Roberts's famous 314-mile (505 km) relief march from Kabul to Kandahar in August 1880. The resulting Battle of Kandahar on 1 September was a decisive victory for the British.

The loss of the Queen's Colour and Regimental Colour of the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment at the Battle of Maiwand, following so soon upon the loss of the Colours of the 1st/24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment at the Battle of Isandlwana (22 January 1879) during the Anglo-Zulu War, resulted in colours no longer being taken on active service.

The fictional Doctor Watson, companion of Sherlock Holmes, was wounded in the Battle of Maiwand (as described in the opening chapter of A Study in Scarlet). He may have been based upon the 66th Regiment's Medical Officer, Surgeon Major Alexander Francis Preston.

Bobbie was the 66th's regimental mascot, a mongrel from Reading, and he accompanied them to Maiwand. As the "Last Eleven" were overrun, Bobbie barking furiously at the attackers. In the confusion, Bobbie got lost, but the following day, survivors making their way back to the fort spotted him trying to catch up, though he was wounded. He was re-united with his owner, who was also on the wounded list.

Upon arrival back in England, Bobbie was presented to Queen Victoria, along with several soldiers of the regiment, who received Distinguished Conduct Medals. A year later, Bobbie was accidentally run over and killed by a hansom cab in Gosport. He was stuffed and can be seen today at the regimental museum in Salisbury, decorated with an unknown soldier's Afghan War medal.

In 2008, British soldiers in Afghanistan uncovered several Martini-Henry rifles buried near the old battlefield. One later sold at auction for £1,100.

The Victorian Small Wars have always been a popular subject and Maiwand is a classic example of them. It's a Kiplingesque last stand in a desolate corner of the Empire, surrounded by legends and the scene of some epic heroism. There are a wide variety of minis and rulesets that could potentially cover it, refer to the Victorian folder in the OP.

mediafire.com/file/crlqec68zu62evd/Osprey - MAA 072 - North-West Frontier 1837-1947.pdf
mediafire.com/file/d17syvu103fwmc3/Osprey - MAA 092 - Indian Infantry Regiments 1860-1914.pdf
mediafire.com/file/z60ba6lcl3iiliu/Osprey - MAA 198 - The British Army on Campaign 1816-1902 (3) 1856-81.pdf
mediafire.com/file/kwztlgvi1hakz99/Osprey - MAA 219 - Queen Victoria's Enemies (3) India.pdf

First for 2mm master race

Anyone interested in 2/3/6mm gaming should check out a ruleset called Bloody Big Battles; unfortunately we don't have a copy, but it was specifically designed for the tiny scales.

>The featured battle for this thread is a colonial skirmish
>Not one of the largest and most pivotal battles of the high middle ages

Dead Brits make me hard. I can't wait until those subhuman island monkeys get bred out into the debased fucktards they always were.

how rude.
Any one got a good tutorial on how to make hessian strips for 1/56 scale tanks?

Did anyone have that 10€ off voucher for warlord lying around?

Lindybeige pls go

I need to tell you about the spandaus user, you need to understand why they are inferior to the bren.

Triggered the inbred subhuman Bong I see. Don't you have some Muslin to suck off?

Ave Britannia, motherfucker.

I mean it does look tasty doesn't it?

That's a good idea for a modern wargame: Lindybeige vs GIGN. Are you a bad enough dude to stop a reject historian's francophobic killing spree?

Are you the same twat that wanted to model the dog from Perry's colonial British getting shot?

Any recommendations for a WWII game that can use 28mm models but actually uses a good deal of strategy, tactics and decision making?

I fell for the Bolt Action meme not really knowing much about it (local guys were into it), but I'd never done historicals before and decided USMC would be fun. I did up a two LVTs, a bunch of guys, some support weapons... almost everything I like is terrible in this game. On top of that I get kinda tired of looking for a random chart for everything that happens outside basic gunfire. It just feels like a lot of decisions don't matter and the game is hugely random.

I bought Five Men and Kursk and will be running some of that, but something oriented towards larger games would be appreciated as well. I'd like to get my two LVTs on the table, and lots of the players in this group love tanks.

You could look at Battlegroup, I Aint Been Shot Mum or Command Decision. Five Men at Kursk should also be pretty good

On top of what said there's also Chain of Command. Might be an easier jumping off point for you if you're coming out of BA because it uses a similar amount of guys per side and doesn't need any extra cards or anything like that.

My vote goes for Disposable Heroes. It's easy and direct, but far more "realistic" than BA.

The second edition ruleset is a truly weird beast, though.

>I get kinda tired of looking for a random chart for everything that happens outside basic gunfire
What's random in the rules? I recall the SNAFU table and possibly the vehicle damage table, both of them can be memorized after two games, possibly less.

Maybe your opponents are dicks. We have fun with the game, and most of the time we play with armies you described, plus maybe a tank (which can be easily disposed in case you use 2-3 bazookas and an AT gun).

But if you want something else on platoon level, Battlegroup (no Pacific expansion yet tho) or maybe Secrets of the Third Reich (works as a standard WW2 game as well).

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them all out over time.

Here's a list of things encountered in a four turn game that required referencing a table for an effect, or was completely random outside the normal stuff like rolling to hit:

> preparatory bombardment
> air observer calls attack (twice)
> indirect fire into multi-level building
> artillery observer calls support
> vehicle suffers damage
> number of hits & pins applied to a unit by HE weapon used on a building
> pins applied by a flamethrower

On top of that, there's lots of other things I find unsatisfying about the rules. I'm not saying it's a horrible game--I have played a good number of times, so I obviously don't hate it. But I want to see what else is out there and maybe there's something better suited to my tastes.

I played a brief game of Five Men At Kursk last night and it was VERY satisfying to actually be able to suppress people meaningfully with a machine gun.

Have you tried chess?

Could I just rip out bits I like from 'Through the Mud and Blood' and stick them into 'No End in Sight' and use it for 1918 WW1? I really like the simplicity and smoothness of Ivan's rules and have come to own a couple of British and German platoons. Would It work? Thoughts?

It would depend massively on which 'bits' you want to lift.

Transfer troop roles (bombers and trench cleaners/trench brooms, rifle grenadiers)
Blinds (scenario dependent I would imagine)
Wire rules
lots of the vehicle stuff. Bogging down, squishing, etc.
Lots of scenario dependent stuff and well... nothing huge mechanically (yet) just bits. I will probably scour other rules for more bits to take.

Really I'm just wondering whether (and if not, how) a Cold War and Modern set of rules can reasonably be used for the First World War.

It shouldn't hugely difficult to adapt them to fit WW1 combat, it would just require a larger focus on infantry combat where there would be combined arms in other games.

>implying there aren't this many random things in any game system
I'm sorry user, but I'd second 's recommendation. Maybe Go, if you're more geared towards Oriental games.

>when Talavera day is about to roll around again and you still haven't used your 10mm collection even once

>and you still haven't used your X collection even once

Applies to so much of my wargaming.

What's the standard board size for an average-sized game of SAGA? 4x4'?

3x4'

OT-64

Rommel's print proof has been cleared. Getting closer to release.
Blucher was really good so I'm really looking forward to this one.

2mm, the "I don't have money for miniatures, better use rice" scale.

It's quite nice.

>the rice argument

whats it like being mentally damaged

ASLAnon can you record more of your ASL games, I like the 2 on your youtube channel

I play 2mm, dude, it's pretty self depreciative since I actually have some 2mm stuff made out of rice and wire.

Anyone got the pdf for Operation Squad Evolution?

Thanks.

I don't, sorry. Try posting in /hwg/

This is /hwg/ user, I think you need to reorganise your tabs.

Oh

Wanting something more tactical than BA is a valid position. BA is on the arcade / powergaming / powerlisting end of the spectrum. Many wargames have more focus on realism and actual tactics on the table without being devoid of randomness like Chess or Go.

Today, on July 28th, 103 years ago, the First World War begun! Say, /hwg/, do any of you happen to have a favorite battle or theatre from WW1? I'm quite partial to the Battle of Cambrai in 1917 - it's probably the first example of modern tactics of combined arms in industrial warfare, and I love that sort of stuff.

There's not THAT much randomness in BA. I'd say less random things in that than in Battlegroup, where you roll for the number of orders, roll if you can shoot at the target, roll to hit, roll for cover saves, to call in artillery you need like 4 different rolls...

There were some pretty awesome cavary actions on the Eastern front. Hungarian hussars routing much bigger Russian forces in one furious charge, them dismounting and fucking everything up...such a shame everyone concentrates on the Western front, but I guess it's because the Brits fought there.

increasing the number of rolls in a game actually tends to bring it closer to the statistical average, games with fewer rolls are much more random.

I dont play BA or battlegroup so I don't know if this is relevant to the discussion, but number of dice you roll is not necessarily indicative of a game's randomness.

Its not a problem with randomness, its a problem with tactics not being as important as a powerful army list. In some cases of BA tactics aren't important at all beyond target prioritization. This was certainly a problem with 40K - often the game was won or lost in the army list stage. If you had the latest codex with the most powerful units, and you made good use of them, you would be winning against most other opponents regardless of how well they played or any "tactics" on the table.
Composition should be important, but tactics should still have an effect on the outcome of a battle. If a game is really well designed, then a completely inferior army may have a chance to defeat a much superior opponent. Of course by this stage we're getting into asymmetrical warfare and most games don't really cater to that.

The thing with Bolt Action is you have to balance it by year as well as point value, but the game doesn't give you any guide whatsoever on doing this except listing the years certain units were in service.

That is rather poor design. Especially for WW2 when a few years can make a big difference for technology. I suppose players can just say "no units past 1941" if they want to play an early war style game, so Its not too bad really. Somewhat unregulated though.
I like how Ostfront handles this - by having Early, Mid and Late war lists that players are bound to for a battle (both players decide on a period and points limit before the game). Players can take obsolete units from a past period, but never units from a future period.
I think FoW handles this in a similar way but from what I can tell they tend to get confused with all sorts of weird books and periods coming out with overlapping units.

My group's doing a campaign where each "turn" advances the in game clock. We're in September 1941 now, and can't use units from later in the game.

Bolt Action seems to assume that you're either fighting in the late war(the lists in the core rulebook are all 1944-45) or you've arranged a specific time period with your opponent.

New Zealand in WW1 is my specialty subject, so I tend to focus a lot on the campaigns the NZEF was involved in. But as the centenary passes it's interesting to reflect on the world at the end of July 1917, with the war now three years old. Russia was falling apart, with mutinies along the front, the desertion of entire divisions, and open fighting between factions in Petrograd. The French Army, bled white after the disaster of the Nivelle Offensive, had just suppressed its own mutinies. Pershing arrived in Paris - "Lafayette, we are here!". Greece finally joined the Allied side after some serious politicking and much internal upheaval. In Palestine, Lawrence's revolt was gaining strength as Allenby pressed on to Jerusalem. There were bursts of civil unrest across the US and Canada as both countries sough to introduce conscription. In Flanders, the British were just about to launch the Third Ypres offensive, usually known better by the more evocative title of the Battle of Passchendale. This would later lead to the worst day in NZ's military history, in October. Overall there was a general mood of exhaustion and mounting desperation, with the increasingly frantic hope that "one more push" would finish it all.

Gotta love the wackiness that was the East Africa campaign.

I have a soft spot for the New Guinea campaign too, even if it was barely a thing.

Fug :DDD

>No no no, a bit to the le
>I see him, stop backseat gunning!

Considering how more and more combat footage is ending up on the internet I can only imagine it's a matter of time before livestreaming battles becomes common and this becomes a real thing.

>Attack helicopter memes get a whole new level

Really though, this is the concept behind that mech pilot girl from Overwatch. She livestreams all her missions.

> Livestreaming combat
> Get shot because the enemy watched your stream and figured out where you are
> Literally streamsniped

>both sides too busy shit talking each other in twitch chat to actually shoot at each other
>go home feeling vaguely dissatisfied

> Soldier crouching in foxhole
> AR fire cracking overhead
> Fanfare sound
> Little smiling cartoon soldier pops up in the corner
> 'Oh hey DickSuccer_69 thanks for subscri-'
> Hit by mortar

>GoPro attached to ToW missile

Aren't they optically guided anyway?

There are the (lackluster) theater selectors though.
They somewhat limit the available units to what was available at the given time and the given theater. Not always 100% correct, but a good start

In the end it comes down to the players if they want to use accurate lists or not.

>Become a Gold Tier Subscriber to aim our Hellfire missiles yourself!

Wire-guided I believe.

TOW: Tube launched, Optically tracked Wire-Guided.

You point the sight where you want it to hit, and the missile guides itself to that point, using information sent down a wire from your launch tube.

They are pretty interesting to watch:
youtube.com/watch?v=U8tgc4U7WbM

Hellfire are F&F iirc, you wouldn't get much gameplay for your money. Ideally you want SACLOS so you get a good bit of flying action.

Is there any usefulness for D10s within Bolt Action?

I'm aware of that (heck, I even got a degree on that), but in Battlegroup you roll for many more things. In BA, you see the target, roll to hit, roll to wound/penetrate, in case of vehicles you roll for damage type. In Battlegroup, you roll to spot, roll to hit, roll for armor save, roll for vehicle damage. Also, in BG when something bad happens (enemy grabs an objective, one of your units get destroyed, etc.), you draw a chit which has a random number or effect on it - you add up the numbers and if it reaches your Battle Rating, you retreat, but you can get air support, mines, etc. Recommending BG as a less random alternative to BA is simply silly.

I can only repeat myself - you don't play against the good players. If the whole point of the game is to win it, then the WAAC-types will come out. If you play it as a historical game, then it's good. I think that's why I don't hate the game as much as some other anons here, because me and my opponents never bring a cheesy minmaxed tourney list, we just like to play some WW2.

As for inferior armies - assymetrical engagements is what you need.

>I suppose players can just say "no units past 1941"
That's what theatre selectors are for.

This'd be a lovely pay-per-view thing.

Not really, it's a d6 based game.

>such a shame everyone concentrates on the Western front, but I guess it's because the Brits fought there.

Probably due to the number of memoirs, histories etc written about the west. the east is covered in much more general large-scale terms, at least in English

Indeed...a famous Hungarian writer was a war correspondent by the time so he went to the Eastern front and wrote a book about it. It was really interesting, especially how another book of his, The Boys from Paul Street, a novel about two local boy gangs in the suburbs was a mandatory reading in second grade.

Wargames General is a wargaming and TTRPG discord focused around, as you might expect, wargaming and RPG's. Many of our members are into historical and weird war games like Flames of War and Konflikt 47. Please feel free to come on in!
discord.gg/GBcypkT

I think that it's a matter of choise. I don't like BA for its gamey fair, because it's tournament oriented and, like you say, if you don't have a nice guy with play it, it's difficult to have a good game.
I don't have a problem if I roll two dice more. It's a problem about I, and you, like.

>Pershing arrived in Paris - "Lafayette, we are here!".
Really makes you wonder what happened in the past 100 years that made the Americans hate the French so much.

Rapprochement with the English

Many countries in History have tried but it remains true, you can't like BOTH the English and the French

De Gaulle

I'm kind of on the opposite end. I like 'gamey' games. I just don't think Bolt Action has great 'gamey' rules, or any real push towards playing historically-oriented armies. It's not a terrible game by any means, I just wanted to see what else is out there.

So far Five Men at Kursk is good fun, played it again last night using Soviets as North Koreans against my USMC. Lots of tension, and nails the cinematic feeling. The games have plenty of narrative potential. We're going to start a campaign soon.

I'm also looking forward to Chain of Command but probably won't properly be at grips with it for a while.

There was a great deal of anti French sentiment generated in America after Frances opposition to the 2003 Iraq war, hence renaming french fries to freedom fries and labeling the French as cheese eating surrender monkeys.

I try and record all my ASL games. Problem is that my group only gets together once a month and I dont always get a game in. Only a couple or 3 guys I like to play against and there are a couple or 3 other guys I refuse to play against so sometimes getting a game in can be a bit tough.

we were looking at bumping it up to 2 times a month, and we did that for 1 month..then summer hit and it fell through..but i think we are looking at starting up 2 times a month again in August.

Ive got a buddy of mine and we will occasionally get together and play Lock and Loads 'World at War' series and I want to record those but we havnt gotten together since December.

I volunteer as tribute for any VASL gaming.

De Gaulle, the rise of French socialism and the Iraq War.

BA V2 is pretty horrible

Some things are alright (like officers can activate units around them), but the templates...that was a shitty decision. The dX wounds was much much better.

American support for the Viet Minh in the 50s definitely led to a falling out with France

The US supported Communist guerrillas?

Are you surprised by this?

During the cold war, yes. I mean support for dictators in South America and folks like the Mujahideen, but they were anti-communists.

Initially the USA supported anti colonialism post WW2, then moved to the red scare.

They supported anyone who suited their current agenda without thinking of the consequences. The Mujahideen you mentioned is a great example of that.

I guess I didn't realise there was a period post-war where their agenda wasn't anti-communism.

Why refuse to play some guys?

I do like that each model only takes one hit with templates even if I dislike templates overall. Going back to the old rules is a bit of a shock when it comes to the big HE weapons.

Basically American foreign policy post WW2 went like this.

>Great! Now to destroy the European Empires forever! SUPPORT EVERYONE WHO HATES THEM!
>What the fuck, communists have moved into the vacuum left by the European empires! SUPPORT EVERYONE WHO HATES THEM!
>Hah, the Soviet Union is gone. Wait a minute, the people who were fighting the Commies now hate us! SUPPORT EVERYONE WHO HATES THEM!
>I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK WE'RE DOING KEEP GIVING PEOPLE GUNS AND DRONING PEOPLE!

Its honestly baffling how poorly America handles foreign policy, they do have the disadvantage of being late to the game, but there are bright Americans, you would think they'd stop being so painfully naive at some point.

Its going to be an unfortunate day for America when they encounter an enemy they cannot simply outspend.

>Its going to be an unfortunate day for America when they encounter an enemy they cannot simply outspend.

The situations that would lead to that being even a remote possibility would themselves be ruinous enough that it'd be merely the cherry on top of a pain cake.