Best tricks to pull on new players?

Best tricks to pull on new players?

Probe them for their fetishes and include them in the game.

None. Give them time to get accustomed to the system before you start trying to be clever.

Tell them that the first person whose character dies is the rest of the group's cumslut fucktoy for the rest of the night.

Ok, this is funny so follow me here:
First you get the core rulebook, alright?
Now, give the player a copy of it or loan it to them if they aren't prone to dirtiness.
You're gonna love this.
Ok, now tell them to read it.
Here comes the best part.
Make sure that you are available for questions so you can clarify things.

You're going to have a riot with this epic prank, bro.

The only thing I would do is include duplicitous NPCs - new players should learn that this isn't a video game, and NPCs aren't just questgivers but facsimiles of people with their own goals and intentions.

I haven't done it since, bit I did the 'rats in the basement' thing to a friend new to 5e. They went to the inn to find:

No rats
No basement

Guards at the gate she spoke to use it as a hazing thing on new adventurers.

Get robbed during the first minute of the adventure by the Town Guards. You get a sleight of hand roll for hiding stuff.

Tell them you're going to run D&D, then run Paranoia.

Tell them martials are totally viable options and are absolutely balanced against spellcasters. Also dual wielding is a great fighting style, so they might want to specialize in it.

>I don't have traps in my game

>"You find a deck of cards."

>"everybody brings a dish for game night, make sure you bring something"
>nobody else brought food, everybody eats yours

You crazy bastard! That's too far...

Not everyone starts with Pathfinder

>The guards go full "it's just a prank, bro!"
>They convince the PCs that the merciful, kind and wise king who's on the verge of sounding in a new golden age of peace and prosperity is actually the BBEG who rules with an iron fist
>When they actually manage to kill the king, the guards storm into the throneroom laughing
>"OH SHIT NIGGA, I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DID THAT!'
>"IT'S A PRANK, BRO! WASN'T IT OBVIOUS?"
>"HAVE FUN BEING QUARTERED BY AN ANGRY MOB, LOSERS!"

Name a bady guy the same thing as one of their characters so anyone who hears their name thinks they are a bad guy

When all your players gather in the room, detonate the bomb under your table.
It's a classic prank.

I dunno, that's soooooo~ 1919.

Ones that they will enjoy if any at all. You are supposed to be creating an enjoyable experience for every one.

What a psycho

Use a mimic instead of a treasure chest 3 times in a row, then never again.
My players are still paranoid a year later.

Nah, it's blowing up in the Middle East these days.

>4 death row inmates
>one sadistic warden
>the inmates will be granted their freedom if they defeat the dungeon master
>but they're hooked up to a device each, capable of killing them painfully on the spot
>"if you die in the game you die in real life"

>Make sure that you are available for questions so you can clarify things.
There's really no need for this part, the player will never open the book anyway.

>New player walks up to the bar
>"I'll have a tankard of ale good sir!"
>"Alright, that'll be 1gp"

Never fails.

>>"if you die in the game you die in real life"
my mom told me they banned D&D in her highschool because kids were stabbing eachother with steak knives for this reason

My high school was filled with nutsos, but not those nutsos.
Waifu. The waifu is actually crazy/evil. Bonus points if she really is in love with one of the PCs despite being evil.
>I just want to make this work, honey!
>You tried to make me a human sacrifice!
>One time!

It sickens me that I share a board with monsters like you.

Build an NPC that they will interact with frequently that is secretly working for the enemies. Have said NPC never lie despite this, and help them out with other things.
Watch them trust said NPC completely and utterly even when the fact that there are people secretly working for the enemy is brought up and said NPC is even implicated specifically.
Works on non-new players too!

This seems like the only good idea in this thread.

Do this one.

deck of many things.

>They open the chest and find a card in it
>It reads: Steam Heat Vouge Holy

Fill the party member's sack with gold, so the next time they look in it, they're like "How'd that happen?"