Lich thread

Lich thread

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54520355/#54523424
forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Aumvor
dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/manual-of-the-planes--43/revive-outsider--1856/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lich more like bitch

you're the lich's bitch

So Veeky Forums, how would you go about turning casters other than Wizards into Liches? Would, say, a Druidic Lich be any different from a Warlock Lich?

Bitch, see this thread.
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54520355/#54523424
And no, we don't get Druidic Liches.
Unless said Druid was Nurgle tier then it's the Pestilence Domain and some Zuggtmoy Mushroom Abuse for Pic related.

Warlock Lich is either base or Lichfiend.

nice satanic trips

anyway, i'm planning to use some sort of lich in my setting and i want to make clear rules to prevent "lol my phylactery is the moon" meta bullshit.
How is this problem commonly handled?

My bro told me an idea he had, have a kid who becomes a lich. Name him Lichie Lich.

Liche's cant do that shit anyway, it's a bunch of crap started by a thread based on this guy: forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Aumvor

A FR unique Epic spell, so you know, the whole idea is utterly false.

The phylactery is linked to your size category and is a trinket of some kind with the same HP pool and hardness rating shared across it's size, per Libris Mortis and a ask page in the Dragon Magazine.

Unless you're a jobber, or your lichdom is supplied via an outsider, either a god, Demon, or Devil alike, in which case things get very silly.

Just not as stupid as Valindra Shadowmantle's phylactery, I have no fuckign idea how you suck as much as she does when it comes to immortality, but holy fuck, how does your phylactery end up a massive purple diamond around 9-14ft tall? The fuck?

Oh of course I forgot to mention he was a rich kid.

That guy already exists in canon.

Um well, yes and no. Same name, different concept. I like the Richie Rich rip better.

>archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54520355/#54523424
Oh, neat. I've been kicking this idea around in my head for a while now about a homebrew campaign that's absolutely Lousy With Liches, so this works perfectly. Thanks.

Just what is it about liches that make them the absolute best?

Lich bread

Vampires are better

Vampire poster, said get away
Vampire poster, listen what I say
Don't come hangin' around my door
Don't wanna see your fangs no more
I don't need your blood drinking
I don't need your emo scenes
Coloured tips can't hypnotize
Sparkle someone else's eyes
Now poster, get away from me
Vampire poster, user let me be

In fiction I expect a stylized phylactery based on the character, in DnD I expect to find a plastic movie prop that the barbarian can just squish between his fingers.

So if SkellyMan the Bard Lich happens to have a bunch of gag phylacteries to burn through in a book then whatever

But if my DM is telling me his DMPC Lich has 30 phylacteries I'm just going to tear up his character sheet

What about falselacteries that appear like the real deal, all spread across the land and guarded by terrible beasts, unholy monsters, and immense constructs?

Just what we need, another one of these damn threads that won't die.

That's just a skeleton mage tho

Nothing wrong with effort or cleverness. If you want to reach Lichdom and immediately condemn the souls of a couple kindergarten classes to paper machete you a bunch of fake phylacteries then so be it.

As a free bonus dead children double your dungeons spooky level

Make way, best lich in fiction coming through!

how would a lich react to being hit with an anti material rifles from a mile away?

It depends. How much damage would such rifle do in DnD (because what else are you talking about, you fucking summerfag)? The damage would obviously be piercing, so he would have 15 damage reduction against it. Let's suppose that a typical greataxe does 1d12, which is enough to split a man in half (typical lvl 1 people have 6 hp or so). I think the bullet would just pass through him, piercing his leathery flesh without giving him anything but minor annoyance.

Is there anything that is not worth raising as an undead minion?

A lawyer?

Nigga do you even high-power lichocracy

>the damge would obviously be piercing

anti material rifles have the ability to fire armor piercing explosive incendiary rounds.

Can't raise what's already dead inside, user.

>implying Mr. Slant isn't the best lawyer

Antimaterial would probably have some special property that ignores most DR

If it's non-magical explosives, I'd say it wouldn't do much. Incendiary rounds would probably be extremely painful unless the lich has fire resist ring.

I'd say it would ignore mundane item/armor hardness, but not DR of magical creatures or bullshit materials like adamantium, unless you make an enchanted Barrett M82 or adamantium bullets.

Nah, undead lawyers are great. They'll have every possible precedent and loophole memorized through raw experience, and as your minion you'll have priority for any legal case.

Titty Lich best Lich

the pressure wave and temporary wound cavitation from a FMJ .50 cal round will remove humanoids limbs and completely destroy a head. That's before you add explosives to the round and set it on fire.

Well, liches are magical beings, not your typical humanoids, so you need a very specific way of dealing with them.

Anyway, DnD is a really bad system for both firearms and liches.

Is it really a lich, with all that flesh hanging off it?

why do no systems have a good understanding of firearms in relation to magic? I really don't see how a humanoid form wouldn't be destroyed by conventional weapons. Like if you can damage something with a mace or sword then a gun is going to do damage.

is she even really a lich or just a titty?

Does anyone else have trouble keeping their kneecaps attached? I've tried a xanthum gum/ballistic gel mixure but i just cant keep them from falling off.

Why not?
Nearly all Lichs were powerful spell-casters in life before they turned to Lichdom.
Do you really think it would be a problem for a powerful spell-caster to preserve his body?

Its just that most Lichs dont give a fuck.

where do you guys keep your phylacteries. I like to tie mine to my cat familiar so local adventurers can't find it.

Liches are powerful spellcasters, and their bodies are literally conduits of negative energy. Their skellingtons are held together by magic, not by glue. Can't hit magic with a hammer. You'll need a magic hammer for that.

That being said, Shadowrun does magic/tech interaction well enough in my opinion.

>Like if you can damage something with a mace or sword then a gun is going to do damage.
Liches have DR 15/magic and bludgeoning. So you pretty much CAN'T damage them with a mace or sword unless you're either superhumanly strong or have a magical weapon.

Why can't you just put it in a demi-plane or pocket dimension or bury it at the bottom of the ocean or give it a really common appearance?

>it's like the clone spell, but shittier!

>it's like an arbitrarily high number of clone spells, but faster
FTFY

Baelnorn are basically nonevil elven liches. There's a fighter version of Baelnorn for nonmagical types.

Is not unreasonable to say a druid could become one of the two.

If nothing else they could become the variety that requires no magic of their own at all.

Alternately a rod of lichdom is a canonical 1 use item. The lichdomritual has already been done, you use use the rod and die, and bam, lich.

If your dm rules you need to be a wizard to use it, roll use magic device.

Druidlich is entirely possible, with multiple avenues.

Aumvor is a guy. His epic spell is doable. You have to be epic level to do it, but that's how epic level magic works.

You're talking about the game where working out and killing rats leads to you gaining enough hp to swim through lava for short periods of time without dying.

Its capeshit. It's not realistic at all. If you want realism plus magic, go play gurps.

Clone spell you don't rot and fall apart.

Lich you don't need to shit.

Clone spells won't save you from Sarin gas or being suffocated in space. Liches would just ignore it.

Is your study(or library, at least) filled with non-reactive gas? Why/why not?

How about a Lich Giant?

How about a Demilich Titan?

I mean. I guess?

Immunity to poison isn't that hard to find magic items for in several editions, and unless you're playing spelljammer you never go to space, but sure.

Could also turn yourself into an outsider of the type of your choice for immortality and no need to breathe, and then use clone.

>Could also turn yourself into an outsider of the type of your choice for immortality and no need to breathe, and then use clone.
Outsiders do need to breathe and generally can't be resurrected except via True Resurrection.

Clone is a 8th level spell that becomes available at wizard level 15.

Lichdom is available at level 11.

No wizard in universe would think "huh, I'm a necromancer who extensively studied lichdom ritual, but I guess I'll wait another 10 years for a clone spell".

My party's got a necromancer who's aspiring towards lichdom, and after months of campaigns, years in-game, and 9 levels, he's still got the very first zombie he ever raised. It's sort of like the party mascot at this point, the other players quite enjoy dressing him up and including him in their plans. He's even got a nickname.

Could just get someone to True Polymorph you into a Lich.

Is she a lich? Or is she scared of them?

How stupid would it be if there was a lich that removed people's skeletons and used them as a skin suit?

Could be cheesy as fuck

Could be really creepy and unnerving if you do it right.

>a small quiet town on the frontier
>life is hard enough but peaceful
>until a shopkeeper disappears, and his flayed skin is found
>after a few days, another skin
>the sheriff sends asks the regional powers for help, but they have their hands full
>PCs arrive in town right after the third flayed skin is found
>start investigating, interacting with people
>after a few days, another skin and a trail of blood, this time someone PCs knew and liked
>after doing everything in their power to find out the truth, PCs finally get into an ancient abandoned building
>in a huge vault they see many flayed skins, including those of people they interacted with just yesterday
>the door slams shut as the sheriff enters
>he tells them a story of failure, about somebody who never amounted to anything
>his life was dull, his studies didn't give him any pleasure
>he always wanted to run away from his life and be someone else
>then he found the ritual that changed him
>now he can be anyone he wants to be
>now *he* has a successful enterprise and a lot of admirers
>now *she* has a man who loves her
>now *he* watches *his* beautiful children play every day
>and if he becomes bored again, he can always be someone else
>*he* watched them since the moment they arrived, with *his* and *her* own eyes
>however, he grew weary of a small sleepy time on the edge of nowhere
>he thinks *he* will become and adventurer soon, he says as he gets out of his latest outfit

So everybody in the town is the one lich. I like it.

I did that quest in Skyrim - No really, intresting npcs mod has a quest where you help "lich" to get a new body, and also find a wizard that could transfer his mind to other bodies....

Any plotline that's been used in Five Nights At Freddy's is a stupid one by default.

She's a lich she just takes care of herself

dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/manual-of-the-planes--43/revive-outsider--1856/index.html
Raise dead for outsiders is a thing if you're playing 3.5.

I misremembered about the breathing.

I did say generally. Point is that you can't use Clone on outsiders because resurrection magic in general doesn't work on them unless it specifically says otherwise(or you use Wish or some shit).

Stephen King desperation

Great Satan, what make a lich different from other form of immortality?

It's 110% cooler

I'm gonna go ahead and steal this, thanks.

Combination of magical power and they keep their personality

Fuck yeah liches

That's just Greenland.

best lich

>they keep their personality
Only if they're already Lawful Evil. Otherwise they get forcefully switched to it.

>I only know a single edition of DnD, and the worst one at that

awesome art
HoMM2, hell yes

muh inherent alignments

Bravo

Currently the lich in my thread has attached his soul to a party member for the purpose of experiencing the feelings and senses that a skeleton can't poses so he has made that pc his lichthrall and basically just forces him to eat hot wings a lot.

Sounds like a nice and somewhat original high-level endboss/BBEG?

Tied with Arkhan the #Based for my favorite lich