media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
What is your favorite thing that your party has faced/discovered/interacted with in the deep places of the world?

What was the scariest?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/07/01/if-i-conjure-a-weapon-with-minor-conjuration-and-i-hit-a-creature-does/
media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The scariest thing we found was a bridge between the material plane and a realm called the Other Side in our setting.

Horrible entities were spilling out from the Other Side and corrupting the terrain itself and their influence was starting to spread to the surface. When we arrived, there were these tendrils reaching out of the black void that grabbed our Rogue and pulled him in. We never saw him again.

can't argue with quads I guess

Anybody know of any good premade dungeons buried below a cemetary?
Looking for multi-level catacombs

are there any wizard spells to just summon a mundane weapon? The best I could come up with is to take the Conjuration school for the level 2 ability to conjure a short sword

I do not, but you could easily refluff another dungeon to fit your theme. What level?

>Conjuration school for the level 2 ability to conjure a short sword
Items conjured with that ability disappear if you deal damage with them

As they progress deeper it gets more difficult, so anything from player level 1-5 can work to start off with

is PvP ever justified?

no it disappears if the object is damaged. There's a difference

Yes

sageadvice.eu/2016/07/01/if-i-conjure-a-weapon-with-minor-conjuration-and-i-hit-a-creature-does/

Why do you lie user?

in character yes
the dm should try and prevent it since he knows the characters

Wear wide robes and pull a regular short sword out of the sleeves while pretending to cast a spell.

Read the errata. It explicitly disappears if it deals damage.

When?

>The start of a new campaign is tomorrow
>I'm still having fucking trouble figuring out what to play

16/15/13/12/11/10 for my rolls, someone fucking help me with ideas

You should just focus on enhancement instead.

But no. The closest I can think of in terms of low level magic is that sword burst cantrip. The only true mundane weapon creation spell I'm aware of is fabricate which is in no way a combat spell.

If a character has become a far greater threat to the party than any of your enemies, it's time to give the player a talk. if they fail to heed it, cutting the character loose (possibly via violent murder) is a viable choice.

Please point me to the page of the errata, and the source. Do you mean the Sage Advice Compendium, or the PHB Errata?

media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata.pdf

Sometimes PvP is necessary, if it's necessary the DM should definitely push for it. Avoiding OOC fights is the key factor though

Only if the character needs to be removed.

If your DM awards XP for it, they're a fucking faggot who needs to choke on their own semen.

How does that make sense? Does some metaphysical entity observe this object and then just snap his fingers to dismiss it if it's judged to do damage? Like it cuts raw beef fine but stabbing someone is a no-no?

That said, it's RAW, but it's still some really stupid RAW.

>a far greater threat to the party than any of your enemies

sounds like a really high bar to clear

Do you use XP or milestones?
My DM just levels us up when he wants to, usually once every 2-3 sessions. It works out and nobody really has a problem with it.

Yes, for when some idiot brings a character into the group that just causes trouble and has no real reason to be around, but won't leave or stop

Why are boots of flying uncommon? They're busted in half and on ranged characters they make almost every combat a joke.

I feel like none of the pre-written adventures were written with flying in mind. Especially Storm King's Thunder, where an UA ranger can do fucktons of damage while flying out of the giant's range.

That's what I do, or when I don't feel like making the PCs too weak for what I want them to fight.

DM normally uses milestones. Sometimes we start XP and then the DM just starts milestone at some point because its easier. We are supposed to be using XP next game, guess I'll just wait and see if it lasts

Well, you ideally don't want to murder your teammates. But if you have to worry more about the guy at your side than the horde of gnolls bearing down on you, then clearly, something needs to be done.

Milestones 3-5 sessions. Maybe more depending on what my party does.

They enjoy messing around so the number of sessions jumps from time to time.

>Why are boots of flying uncommon
Boots of Flying? What book did you see those in? They're not in the DMG, and even Boots of Levitation (which are strictly worse) are rare.

>rolling for stats

Disregarded

>they make almost every combat a joke.

>have enemies that also use ranged weapons
>shoot PCs out of the air
>if they get KO'd, the falling damage is an instant kill

Technically, any amount of fall damage less than the character's max HP is just one death saving throw failure.

I think they're under "winged boots". I'm not the guy who you're replying to, but off the top of my head I think they're 4 hours of flight a day at land speed broken up into any combination of minutes you like at uncommon, which is pretty fucking good

He means Winged Boots you git.

DMG. They are called Winged Boots. 4 hours of flying at your speed, recharges 2 hours every 12 hours not in use

They aren't concentrating on a spell, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to know them out of the air. Only using enemies with ranged attacks/flight also severely hurts monster variety

>Winged Boots
Well fuck me for not knowing the name of an item that's literally at the opposite end of the magic item list
But yeah, that's fucking stupid. It looks like a shitty adaptation of a god damn Pathfinder item. Is there anything else in 5e that allows you to split up its effective duration like that?

If they're so high no enemies can reach them I imagine it would usually be an instant kill

It's what the DM wanted I didn't say anything.

We also get our pick of one Uncommon magic item.

If Half-Elves live up to 180 years, at what age are they considered most attractive in a young and beautiful kind of way?

>>>/pfg/

>It looks like a shitty adaptation of a god damn Pathfinder item
please stop being so new.

179. It's kind of bittersweet.

i think they roughly parallel humans outside of middle age which is super extended

>Is there anything else in 5e that allows you to split up its effective duration like that?
Yes, the Boots of Speed.

> It looks like a shitty adaptation of a god damn Pathfinder item.
See Boots of Haste in pic.

Winged Boots. 4 hours of flight a day at 30 feet per round. Broken up however you want.

Basically the issue is that I'm finding that a UA ranger (at 8th level, so they can dash as a bonus action) with a longbow, sharpshooter feet, and Winged Boots is fucking impossible to design encounters around. When fighting against giants and humanoids they do unbelievable damage (and hit on a 5+ against everything), they're always in the air, if it's a flat plane they're 600 feet away, if it's inside, then they get 60 feet of movement to work with in all directions.

My players just got to the stone giant stronghold and this one ranger is outdamaging every other player by significant margins and has trivialize multiple encounters in the book. I can tell that some of my other players have begun to feel like they're just being carried.

So I'd still have to make my character fairly young if I wanted to go for that kinda thing.
What about full elves? They can live for a whole 3 quarters of a millenia. Surely their peak lasts more than their late teens/early-mid twenties.

Milestones for modules and story-based campaigns, XP for West Marches and hexcrawls.

talk to the player about what is happening, work out how to have a story encounter that ends with the boots being destroyed or nerfed in some way, use it as a way to build up the threat of a special enemy.

Have him fight something in the dark, now he can only be 60 feet away assuming darkvision.

Critical Role is live now and Darin De Paul, their objectively best guest, is already stealing the show

If you were to make some sort of quick draw feat, what would it be?

You mean like Dual Wielder?

Do you know what the rest of the party will be?

You can start with an 18 and 16, so you're pretty much set when it comes to being a useful character.

Oh I guess yeah that'd be it

I guess I forgot the most important thing to do before asking fun questions reading the fucking book

I have no fucking idea how that would work, since drawing weapons can be done "as part of an attack" meaning every creature in the game by default is a quickdraw artist.

Maybe +10 to initiative if it's rolled when no combatants have weapons drawn, +2 to initiative otherwise? Sounds like it would be pretty shit overall though.

>Fun
Dumb

Alert or Dual-Wielder.

What about +20 in initiative for the first round of combat?

Though that would be pretty OP with assassin.

>What is your favorite thing that your party has faced/discovered/interacted with in the deep places of the world?
fighting a bunch of drow in a chasm full of spider webs, had to worry about drow, had to worry about spiders, had vertical as well as horizontal movement, could cut the ground underneath someone sending them plummeting several "levels." That shit was awesome.

No that's fucking stupid

Is that even how that works though? What if another player has a torch or illuminated weapon? They'd still be able to see based on that.

Also that's just one or a couple encounters. We still have half a campaign to go and looking ahead I don't really see anything changing how powerful this is.

I've sent him a text with my thoughts. It's not any one of those things that too powerful (arguably the extra damage from favored enemy is too much). It's just everything combining to make an 18 AC, 60ft per round, flying, 600 foot range, always hitting, monster in combat.

Book Hunting!

Yes, if, IF all parties are okay with it AND the possible outcomes are agreed upon (PVP okay, no death, death okay, no death but crippling/amputations okay, etc)

Very interesting that Scanlan was chosen over Percy for Ioun's challenge

I agree.

The Alert feat gives initiative, means you wont be surprised, and combining that with basic item interaction rules means drawing a single weapon wont be a problem, so that sort of quick draw concept is covered. If you want to draw two things dual-wielder has that covered, though there's much less reason to go that route

Critical Role thread:

>no death but crippling/amputations okay

Who would ever agree to this? Having your character crippled is worse than having to reroll, unless you're in a high enough power campaign to have it reversed, in which case it's meaningless.

This may shock you, but some people have fun in ways that are different than your own.

I haven't met anyone who has fun playing a one-legged gimp, unless you're playing one of those DnD games that never leaves town and is super comfy and all social interactions, then nevermind I guess.

Otherwise you're dead weight.

ty friendo

Is there any reason for a dragonborn paladin to be in Barovia?

Yes, being a Paladin and doing Paladin things
Their race is irrelevant

you've seriously never played a one legged pirate or a blind swordsman? Not even an ex con who had his tongue removed? Man, I am so sorry for you, user.

We're starting at Level 5 as well.
We've got a Vampire Swasbuckler from the Plane Shift thing, a Standard-Human Life Cleric, and a Wood Elf Druid of unknown circle. One other player of unknown class, it might be delayed a bit because that guy's new and isn't sure what he's doing.
Oh, and a Bugbear of some sorts, I'm not sure what exactly, probably Battlemaster if I had to guess.
I think the Cleric is starting with +1 Plate.

Presumably if the player had really bad taste. In races I mean. Paladins are fine

there's, like, at least three reasons a dragonborn paladin would be in barovia, shit, I can think of one that is a significant plot point.

I played a cleric that lost his leg and then I basically retired him because I knew that going into combat with a missing leg would be a death sentence

Any reasons specific to dragonborn?

artificial legs exist, even back then. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out "maybe if a strapped something to the stump..."

>maybe if a strapped something to the stump...

it wouldn't be as good as having a leg? Wow, nice.

same reason as Paladin

Also, do they really need more of a reason than halflings, gnomes, or tieflings? Shit, most of the starting plot hooks are "Holy shit where am I? How'd I get here?"

fuck, i might have to RP or ride a horse or some shit, how fucking horrible.

RP getting annihilated because you can't make dex saves anymore? Great! Ride a mount, because we all know 5e combat is so much more fun when one faggot is doing mounted combat bullshit? Even better!

Fair point, thanks

>? Great! Ride a mount, because we all know 5e combat is so much more fun when one faggot is doing mounted combat bullshit? Even better!
Can you point to me, anywhere, of a rule that says missing a leg is an automatic failure on dex saves? What do you do if someone in the group plays a dwarf? Kill them because they ask the group to slow down just a wee bit?

The "unknown class" is a Berserker Goliath apparently

Can you point out what the rules say about the penalty for a missing limb period? It's going to be on the DM, and common sense says whatever your dex saves were with two legs, it's going to be worse with one.

Is there a way to duel wield the spell Flame blade? If you were to use the feats war caster and duel wield, shouldn't that pan out? Begging for the answer I want here.

and yet, being grappled (speed 0) grants no penalty to dex saves.

Being grappled isn't as bad as being crippled, who knew.

There is a chapter in the DMG all about that shit. I don't really want to look up the page number, because this argument is kind of retarded as of fucking course it's reasonable roleplaying to retire someone who losing a leg or arm or whatever if that person has the means to make a living outside of going into dungeons. That's a perfectly reasonable time in character to take a hint that you've pushed your luck doing dangerous shit for a living, even more so if there's no way to regenerate shit

Bards don't need an instument to use magic do they? They could just use their singing voice, yes?

>You evoke a fiery blade in your free hand.
>Free hand
No