Which game do you prefer?

Which game do you prefer?

Other urls found in this thread:

yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_Championship_Series
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I used to be better at yugioh.
I play magic now which I have always been bad at.
I think I would be bad at yugioh if I tried playing again.

I like Magic more on a fun factor but on a competitive level I much prefer yugioh because it's more affordable than any other competitive magic format

one day pauper will actually take over MTG

>I used to be better at yugioh.
>I play magic now which I have always been bad at.
>I think I would be bad at yugioh if I tried playing again.
that's funny, this is exactly my feeling.

I'm in a similar place, except I'm decent at Magic. I'll always appreciate Yugioh, but I just needed to step away from it for a while.

Hearthstone is better than both because it's not tied to a physical medium
>b-but you're on Veeky Forums
I know, and tabletop miniatures are great. Pieces of cardstock? Fuck that

While I don't like Hearthstone personally, I have to agree with the rest. I feel like deckbuilders and LCGs are just a better idea because they don't artificially inflate the prices of cardboard greatly and don't follow the gambling format that CCGs do. Accessibility is a factor as well.

>Hearthstone.
Oh thou of poor and simple mindedness. Ye know not the trouble that has fallen upon ye because of these words.

Imma have fun watching this shitstorm. Let's see if you can delete the post fast enough to backtrack out of your mistake.

Hearthstone

/watch?v=TxStq0yWDQU

Nigga I ain't gonna copy and paste that shit.

Yugioh is better because it has epic cartoons tied to it. Can you save the world from an ancient Egyptian evil with MTG? I think not.

Both have flaws.
Magic suffers the problem you'd expect from a game built by math nerds: though almost entirely balanced and complicated, it is gruelingly slow. Characters fit into a complex comparatively grounded setting and as such are consistent but predictable.
Yugioh suffers the problems you'd expect from being designed by a manga writer. The game is filled with random, over-situational bullshit, a ton of the early design makes no sense, and plenty of the designs are overcomplicated. But as a result archetypes are diverse, character designs and art style are interesting, and trap cards make you feel like an anime character and may be the single best responsive mechanic in card games (although spell speed is a shitshow). Universe is a nonsensical hodgepodge but fun.

But at the end of the day I moved away from Yugioh into magic because things in magic just feel more permanent. When you lose something, it feels like you could have seen it coming, even if you couldn't have stopped it. In yugioh because everything has haste bullshit can come from nowhere and hit you like a truck: fun for one player, not much for the other. I have more highs and lows in yugioh but I get a more consistent experience in magic. Though I'd go right back to magic if I had known all my friends would exclusively play commander, fuck this format.

Alternatively,

Discontinued ones that OCTGN and Lackey run for free online

YGO because I like fast games more
I would never play it in real life though, Jewnami is terrible

yugioh cause the anime
I watched that shit regularly as a kid

Yu-gi-oh has better game play (BattleCity era power level), and aesthetics. MTG has better balance, and an "interesting" power creep while having more interactive gameplay.

i used to like magic now i just want it to die.

why tho

An mtg standard full of decks underneath $20 hasn't been possible since Odyessy block

>dragon deck bit the dust when REDMD was limited
>took a break and eventually built froglancer
>Frogs are too slow for this meta apparently
>Dragons can probably be a thing again but Light and Darkness Dragon isn't strong these days
I'd be up to play someone again if they didn't mind my deck but shit kinda feel you. both these games really suck some dick in the management areas.

?

I LOVE both

But muh spirit-of-edh

standard is shit. Drafts are too expensive. Modern is bloated and they let the secondary market get too big. fuck legacy and vintage. yeah there is pauper but only two people at my store play it. Mtgs secondary market needs to crash this is getting ridiculous.

There was a blue green madness deck full of only commons and uncommons that was pretty competitive. Now standard requires all rares and mythics for competitive decks.

I prefer Yu GI Oh because Konami actively keeps the second-hand market cheap. Fuck traders and their jewishness.

Blue Eyes decks have been really fun ever since this bad boy was released.

YGO because I grew up with it.

Is this an offensive stereotype?

>Konami actively keeps the second-hand market cheap.
How do they do that?

>I like fast games more
Better prepare yourself. Link summons are gonna slow the game down, Konami said so.

They reprint cards within a year of release as either promos or commons.
They've done it for years.

MtG

Outside of competitive play there is much more room for customization and expression through your decks.

Never got my head round magic. I understand the rules but it never grabbed me and I always found that going to stores if I wasn't level 3 autismo then I might as well have spent a day in a Chinese sweat shop.

Yugioh I played from the start but had to stop when I moved and my bills spiked.
Looked into getting back into it in Feb. Grabbed a dinomist deck cause fuck yeah robot dinosaurs like £20, played OK. Went to a casual tourney placed well. Week later my friend rocked up with a blue eyes deck £400+.
Not a chance in a hell could I survive 2 turns let alone win.
Stopped playing. He went to the casual tourney and was dq'd on entry.
Can't say I miss either as a hobby but I do miss alot of the fun I could have with people for yugioh.

do you know what pauper is? Why are you telling me this?

>He went to the casual tourney and was dq'd on entry

Did he steal his Blue Eyes from an old card shop owner?

And yeah, playing Magic at stores is suffering. You gotta try to look for Pauper cubes or buddies to get in it with

With original artwork too? Can I get the original BEWD as new?

WHAAAAT? YOU WANT JAYDEN YUUKI TO REPRESENT OUR SCHOOL IN THE DUELING TOURNAMENT? THAT'S JUST OUT-RAAAAGEOUS!

neither.

when is the moment you will graduate to superior 4-5 players TCGs?

>more possible interactions
>your hardcountered by another deck less often
>players can gang up on very threatening decks that had a great early draw

ahh another kindred

A more offensive Italian stereotype than most I've seen na no ne

seems suprisingly balanced for an inofficial card. not having superior potence kind of is a dealbreaker for a 9 cap giovanni tho

He's Italian? A blond Italian?

what am i reading? is that card good?

Bitch we literally JUST finished the Egypt block.

And the answer is no, because the ancient evil was the mother fucker.

Force of Will, because I like anime but dislike OTKs.

Well, The egyptian block ended weird. The ancient evil beat the new cancer

Gwent

It's hard to find other players tho

You can still OTK with only 1 extra so I don't think things will change that much
Also I hope Percy doesn't update because the majority of people I know hates link format

yes , the while this minion cost 9 (minion cost ranges from 1 to 11) the justicar keyword is maybe the strongest in the game because it allows to play incredibly strong cards (parity shift, second tradition) her cardtext ability is insane by any standarts, the only thing shitty about her are her disciplines , only 2 superior is very weak for a nine-cap.
still , if your deck only runs obfuscate and auspex its not that big an issue , its a clear 10 out of 10 minion

No it was a casual tourney meant for shits and giggles and he turned up with the latest and greatest tier 1 deck in yugioh so the person running it dq'd him.

Casual means casual.

I'd probably enjoy magic if I found something in the game that grabs me.
In yugioh it was the show then I stopped watching but I enjoyed this one deck amd played it for years seeing how far I could push it and topped a few regional.
Magic never grabbed me.

I'm suffering this with 40k atm. I liked fielding flame templates, they just tickled me. Can't do that any more and I'm debating selling up.

Yeah probably. Theres like 12 different bewd art works these days.

How is FoW?
I never bothered with it?

The game of pretend.

Try EDH, it's basically casual Legacy singleton but much cheaper and sometimes even competitive if your group is autistic enough

>casual Legacy singleton
>Watered down fun

Yu-Gi-Oh pre pendulums, i was a pro players for years, i topped 8 YGS's and came first in 3 others. ive sold most of my cards, i keep a few decks though just for fun, nothing competative, yugioh is dead, long dead, my local card shop stopped running tournaments for it, Koonami killed the game. too much power creep, too much emphasis on flooding the board. the game became who can fill the board with monsters first wins, also they banned all the good cards that stopped it, then they brought out a fucking AWEFUL idea in pendulums, fill the board every turn with monsters, oh they also dont go to the grave when they die, so you can do it every turn. also some of the monsters are completly untouchable. go have fun spending $400 on the three cards you need just to make the deck.

Fuck koonami, they killed yugioh, i hope magic hasn't had this kind of canceruos power creep. it used to take serious set up and effort to fill the board with monsters, im taking serious set up and very good luck, now it just takes two cards.
TL;DR?
Ex pro yugioh player bitches about his favorite game dying

>the Alt-White
Fucking triggered, this is supposed to be a safe space

Is yugioh dead? I went to my local traditional games shop for the first time in many years. This place used to be filled with yugioh and pokemon cards. Now all they had was a single starter deck from 2014 tucked away in the corner, with like three pokemon card packs. It was very sad to see.

im this guy its dead, long dead. power creeped and forgotten by its owners and players.

I guess most people play online now

Pendulums LITERALLY did nothing wrong. Qli was meta because it could run all the fucking floodgates. PePe was meta because Plushfire didn't have hard OPT. DracoPal was meta because it was just a weaker PePe. Metalfoes were meta because they are a versatile deck that can run a lot of different things, like Majespecters or Yang Zings.

That's like 4 meta Pendulum decks and only 1 Tier 0 Pendulum deck.

Links make it so you can only Pendulum Summon 1 from the extra if you don't have a Link monster.

Fuck people that think Pendulums killed the game. Series 9/Arc-V was the golden age of Yugioh.

Pfff, everyone knows that the format just before DRAGONS was the best

you are very welcome to say this, but you are wrong, look at the views on yugi tuber channels, look at the numbers of people entering YCS's, look at he pre order numbers for booster boxes, look at the people playing the game in your local card shop, local at the amount of people playing online. they are all down, the only thing you cant look up is booster box sales figures because Koonami doesn't release that shit. im an OG player, im 27 years old, my first competative deck that i won a tornamnet with was goat control, the first YCS that i won was with glad beasts, ive also won with plant synchro and inzektors and ive topped playing E dragons, gravekeepers, Heros and chain burn.
You are very welcome to keep playing the game you love, but to me, yugioh is dead, its changed far too much, spellbook of fate ALMOST killed it for me, i certainly stopped playing for a while, but being able to flood the board so easily with pendulums was too broken for me, there was too much of a power creep, even shadols and nekroz was too much for me. but pendulums was the straw the broke this camels back.

good luck with yugioh, the golden age for me was when XYZ's came out, apart from a select handful of cards, and starts (inzektors and wind up loops) it was a great time, for me, also i won a YCS, so that was pretty cool.

Exodia would just destroy Bolas.

how does Yugioh even menage to work without a real resource system?
i've always wondered.

btw i absolutely despise yugioh artstyle and the cards were always a mess to read and undestand.The opposite is true for mtg.

right now i am playing faeria, which is an online game, and i enjoy because the different resource system makes it so the bad and the good aspects of it differs from most other card games.
I never really liked getting landscrewed in mtg anyway.

>how does Yugioh even menage to work without a real resource system?
cards available + your normal summon are your resource. that's why special summons and graveyard/extra deck interactions make up all the strong decks.

Remind me, what it is Justicar can do that Prince can't? Oh, right, it's eating Wrath of the Inner Circle.

Mate yugioh was at its peak when you could tribute summon into summon skull and your opponent shat a house brick.
Mechanicalchaser was the start of true power creep, fuck that 50.

My fave format was when the first half of fire fists before the e dragons popped up. So much choice for decks. My sams had a field day back then went something stupid like 50-3-6 over that 6 month period with them.
I agree pendulums were too much. Far too much. Some of the xyz loops were hellish but after a while settled down but pendulums just meant that decks didn't need their opponent to do anything.

Too many cards doing multiple effects got pretty shitty as well.

Tis a shame, tis a shame.

>using summoned skull
>not using jinzo or air knight parshath equiped with united we stand
do you even beat down?
i totally love everything you said and agree 100%, i loved yugioh at that point, except 6 sams, gate way can fuck off.

I think the elevens think that anyone not from japan has blond hair

As an example of cards doing too many things, a spell card recently featured on the show had five effects

Fire Prison - Field Spell
Cannot be destroyed by other cards' effects. Dragon monsters you control gain 300 DEF. Neither player can Link Summon a monster with less Link Arrows than the monster on the field with the most Link Arrows. Monsters cannot declare an attack, except Link Monsters. If there are 2 or more Cyberse Link Monsters on the field: You can activate this effect; while this card is face-up on the field, negate the effects of all Cyberse monsters while they are in the hand, field, or GY, they cannot attack, they cannot be targeted for attacks, but does not prevent a player from attacking directly, also neither player can target them with card effects. If every Cyberse monster that was on the field at activation of the above effect leaves the field: Destroy this card.

The worst part is that it really just boils down to the MC stalling out until he can use his cyberse monsters to summon his newest ace and force the prison to destroy itself

Pfftt you want old school beat down? Ben kai equipment otk
Eat 5x5k a turn.
Too new?
Mahilo vilo triple United we stand, attack, chain scap goat, watch hope fade from people's eyes

Gateway at one was OK when shi en was also at one. Legendary six sams with triple gateway triple smoke single and triple Rota? Fuck that noise

I don't have words for shit like that.
I wanna say fan made cards aren't this bad (see Tyler the legendary warrior)

It's just pointless. Actually pointless. I'm glad I'm out desu. Stuff like that makes 3d look simple.

triple united we stand sounds like over kill, but id love to see it pulled off lol. one of the YCS cards i won was blood mefist, if you ever want to see something crazy, see what that card can do, its so dumb. it was about the only good YCS card i remember too, the other two i won was shrink (nobody gave a fuck about it even when it first came out) and some stupid rank 5 xyz that milled three cards, it was useless, i dont even remember its name, but it was really stupidly hard to get out and it was out around a time where having cards in your grave was a good thing. so dumb, i think i traded shrink for 3 or 4 boosters boxes of some random set, blood mefist i gave to a friend who really liked top hats, i think he later sold it, and i sold the dumb xyz card for like $200 or something.

Tyler gets a pass because it was made for a kid with cancer. It actually isn't that strong, though

i dont think trannies would be too offended

Like I said old school shits and giggles.
Back when you really had to think about when to time magic jammer.

I remember blood mefist.
I don't wish to remember being on the rcving end of it.

Shrink funny enough has cost me so many games over the years as a friend of mine used to run them in jurrac when I used to have a thing for running trap stun.

I never made it to ycs as at the time it was difficult to achieve. Got a load of the mats for booster pack tourneys though. Keeping them fuckers. Booster drafts with some of the yugioh packs over the years has been real fucking concrete.

Googling sonic yugioh cards is a good was to expose yourself to autismo and some of it is probably less bull shit that the stuff that's currently around.

Of what, a narcissist?

i honestly hate play mats, i refuse to use them unless in tournament where they force you too, i like sliding my cards around on a table, i never kept a single mat, the only play mats i have kept since i stopped playing is two of the orichalcos mats, they looked fucking sick, and they make great GM screens for my Deathwatch RPG i run. there was a gravekeepr mat once thought that i wanted, the art was really cool, but it woud have acted more of a poster than a play mat, fuck play mats.
People put too much effort into YCS's, if you have the money to spend on the best deck, you can top so easily, thats litterally what i did with inzektors, i just brought a bunch of boosters boxes of order of chaos, made the deck, and won the championship, never lost, got really lucky though in my first round, never even lost a match, inzektors were so broken when they came out, i remember a turn where i destroyed 6 cards in a turn, it was so dumb.

i would get back into yugioh for shits and giggles, but only to play old shitty cards, not even archtypes, remember battle packs? i loved those, i did a battle pack tourney once, i had so much fun, i cant even remember if i won or i lost it, i just remember laughing and having fun.

I liked the mats, mostly because if you put on in the tube it gave you a nice baton to advise people that they were idiots.

Yeah some of the artwork on them over the years has been hit and miss.

They were pretty loopy but that's how Konami has always had the most power decks work is loop on themselves. Apart from original chaos, that was just I've removes everything you have, sloped you with dragon penis and now a crow pecks out your eye, g.g.

I miss battle packs, the last time I had chance to play them was where me and some friends too 2 boxes to a music festival as something to do before the gates opened. That weekend got hyper competitive pretty quick with those.

Dragon rulers were about the height I always thought yugioh should have peaked at in terms of power ramp.

we tried multiplayer yu gi oh brews and they have always been a shitfest, it is almost impossible to play more then 2 players without a great deal of changes to core rules and a large number of cards.

Mtg has EDH, two-headed giant and multiplayer focused draftsets.

> my definition of fun is superior

>cards do too many things
Ultimately, I think this is what is killing yugioh, and what will be the final nail in its coffin. Power creep has hit the point that unless the card has a novel worth of text, with multiple card-advantage building triggers, it's unplayable. Unlike mtg, which solves this problem by making most if its cards shitty draft chaff, and by using keywords to smooth over comprehension, yugioh is just devolving into a word salad that is nigh incomprehensible.

I remember having trouble figuring out how Shadolls were supposed to work, because I failed to notice "from the field" wasn't on the card next to "sent to the graveyard." Even once I figured out the basic trigger conditions, I still had trouble following what each one did, as they each had two separate, unrelated effects, that may or may not be similar yet subtly different to the effects on other Shadolls. And that was Shadolls. As archtypes go, its far from the most confusing.

Watching Vrains, it seems that the 'word salad' model of card design has completely taken hold, and every card adds another card to your hand through some convoluted effect, and has additional abilities besides, and even then most are still not all that good. It's made the duels unwatchable although I'm still enjoying the series well enough otherwise.

Basically, yugioh is drowning in so much card text it makes trying to keep up with the game too much work for too little payoff, especially with plenty of other good games worth playing.

I honestly think one of the key secrets to mtg's ongoing success is that it's one of the few tcgs that actually functions as a multiplayer game.

Yugioh, pokemon, Bushiroad's flavour of the month, none of them work as something you can just whip out with a group of 4-5 friends and just casually jam as an excuse to hang out.

i played yu-gi-oh casually until synchros were a thing, was not too much of a fan as they made fusions look absolutely terrible in comparison but was still great fun.

Can someone explain to me what the fuck happened? I already heard multiple reasons why this is happening but they all just seem so terrible to me.
those include:
> powercreep to make people buy new sets.
> in asia a lot of players actually WANT more expensive decks to perform better(??????)
> the "epicness" of the anime correlates with cardpower, as the anime starts to push the boundaries so too does the tcg.

Yugitubers are shitters that just copy OCG replays, overhype shit cards and will do anything for fucking views. It's not the first time some idiot on youtube has claimed the game was dead. They always do this.

The attendance of YCSs always fluctuates depending on the meta and location. It's not like YCSs when you play always had consistent attendance numbers. Just look at this yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_Championship_Series

My locals has more players than before. The game is getting more affordable to play.

Online numbers always low because there are like 4 different versions of Ygopro and Duelingbook. DuelingNetwork used to have 2000+ players, but they all migrated to different platforms when it died.

Yugioh isn't dead. Only shitters from /dng/ say that. And if anything is going to kill Yugioh, it's the current stale format and the shit sets that are coming out.

i play Yu-Gi-Oh and i pref it to Magic simply because of its affordability

hearthstones complexity ends at the deck building stage. They also don't take advantage of the digital medium you're praising because "muh card identity"

I hate reading this meme, if you don't think they will break links you're ignoring how the game works.
Not to mention OTK/FTKs ruled the game LONG before extra deck spam.
Thirdly decks like true dracoking don't even touch the extra deck so not sure how it slows them down?
The only thing links will do is ban zoo which the banlist could have done itself but they pussied out of for over a year so they could make more money off them.

In highschool I try to mix Magic with Yugioh, mostly because I was alone to play magic, and there was a girl that used to play Yugioh...

The result wasnt that good, specially because I think I only did a "multiply the Magic card power X500"

you can say the problem was pendulums itself but I think it's more so the power bubble just popped for most people.
Shaddolls were a good example because they basically just invalidated everything else, and whatever they didn't fuck qli did.

I'll say that pendulums are a shit mechanic and weak as fuck but the problem was pendulum area is when the power creep broke the ceiling for the majority of players, they just tell you pendulums because who wants to explain all this shit to a random guy at their LGS for 10 minutes.

the problem of yugioh being a mess to read is they won't just use keywords, they could just say indestructible but instead they type three lines of text to say the same thing.

Yugioh lacks a rotating format, imo this is probably the biggest source of powercreep as cards are all designed for eternal formats and overtime cards have to get better and better to compete

>overtime cards have to get better and better to compete
Code of the Duelist and Circuit Breaker are much weaker than everything released before. So much weaker that the current OCG meta still consists of older archetypes.

was that a mistake or are konami planning on purging the old archetypes with bans or what? I can't see new sets selling if they aren't powerful enough

I don't think it's a mistake. I think Konami is trying to make the game weaker. They tried hurting the top decks, but it wasn't enough. And yeah, the sets are selling like shit.

They're going to need to obliterate the top decks with bans, that or somehow print less powerful cards that for some reason have a really good matchup against the current meta