Warhammer 40k 8th army rankings

Warhammer 40k 8th army rankings

Just want to hear which armies are on the stronger side as of now before all codexes drop. Seems general consensus is its relatively balanced.

Horde armies are really good right now. Orks, Tyranids, Guard. Guard are probably the best since they have the best shooting.

The worst is probably Tau right now. They got nerfed hard and they'll need an actual codex quick to keep playing.

Orks are pretty mediocre other than their blobs of 30 boyz though.

Could guard be tied with tyranids since genestealer cults or do the rules differ between cults and guard? Like for the tanks and stuff

Yeah but it's totally easy and extremely good to live the dream and run like 120 boyz.

I'd say guard have a very very slight edge on Tyranids. I haven't played GSC but people are saying they're weird right now.

GSC seem interesting in that they have very easy access to shotguns, and assault weapons can still be fired after advancing (though they can't advance and charge in the same turn), giving neophytes more mobility than they previously had

but the army was based around special deployment and already had access to transports, and IG statlines with shotguns are just not that threatening

Could guard be tied with tyranids since genestealer cults or do the rules differ between cults and guard? Like for the tanks and stuff

What about their whole ambush thing. The potential to arrive anywhere and possibly be able to charge right away (not as big a deal) or shoot twice (pretty good)?

This is true. Ork boyz always hitting on 2s with S4 is pretty hilarious.

>tau nerfed hard
>still deleting my units effortlessly
Gay.

Any army that could spam flyers was top tier, but they've been nerfed

Marines centred on Bobby G are top too because of his reroll everything bubble and insane survivability

Mix and matching the best parts of (saint celestial for example) is strong

Aside from that Necrons are pretty good and all horde armies have potential.

Genestealer cult units include keyword tyranid, so you can happily mix cult and tyranid units and detachments etc. Genestealer cults also have a special rule saying an army can include one AM detachment for every GSC detachment. The FAQ says that means you can get guard into a nid army via a GSC detachment.

That could be a very small detachment spo it's a minor tax and despite the nerfs GSC units are still very good, especially the HQs. Compare a Patriarch to a Broodlord or the GSC psychic powers to the Tyranid ones.

Know anything about chaos. I currently have nids, chaos, and necrons so I feel good this edition. Not that necrons were bad but nids...

play units that aren't made of paper or play more of them

>What about their whole ambush thing. The potential to arrive anywhere and possibly be able to charge right away (not as big a deal) or shoot twice (pretty good)?
They have always had cult ambush ("special deployment") in some form.

List building is really odd with keywords from them. Their own roster is really small, but they all have the TYRANIDS keyword so there is a lot of synergy there. They can also ignore restrictions on keywords for ASTRA MILITARUM when list building, but there is zero keyword synergy between either TYRANIDS and ASTRA MILITARUM or GENESTEALER CULTS and ASTRA MILITARUM so this works best with ASTRA MILITARUM units that do not need a lot of support, like tanks or flyers.

GSC chimeras and trucks can only transport GENESTEALER CULTS INFANTRY so no putting hormagaunts in them.

GSC don't plug any niche that Tyranids can't cover on their own except armor, and Astra Militarum do that better than GSC.

GSC feel like they are just a bridge so you can have cute space bugs and badass tacticool operators in the same army list.

>GSC feel like they are just a bridge so you can have cute space bugs and badass tacticool operators in the same army list.

Pretty much yeah.

>best shooty horde army in the game
>best close combat horde army in the game

Brought together in loving matrimony by their little baby cultist

Main problem with plasma scion genestealer romance is many tournaments limiting detachments in their format which is why we haven't seen nearly as much of it as imperium keyword superfriends

>GYAAAR!
> Eeey, I'm walkin' here!

Imperial Guard Unstoppable

Is that guilliman surrounded by conscripts?

>Eeey, I'm walkin' here!
>"I'm not seeing it-"
>notice the arms

Aaaay

Finally someone with an appropriate amount of terrain!

I can see three infantry squads that have 9 guys and a heavy weapons team. thats a 10 yard penalty

>the other 33% of the board that's not show in the foreground is completely devoid of terrain

you had some meme spam lists, which is like ynnari razorwing flocks (nerfed, +100% flock points cost), tau gun drones, ork boyz, chaos brimstone horrors, ig conscripts, necron infantry

those types of things work okay, the stormraven spam is dead now, but imperium just has the most tools. They get Big Bobby G with mortis dreads, now with all those extra codex stratagems/relics/powers/etc, and can freely mix them with 21pt psykers, a 85pt retributor squad that always fires twice, all the cheap guard stuff, including elysians, vultures, and sabre platforms.

so I'd say mix and match imperium superfriends is #1 by quite a bit. they also have a GK codex dropping almost immediately, but GK would need some real love to be more than just alright. imperium just don't have holes. every slot can be filled with something cheap or something useful.

chaos has some things, scarab occult terminators, magnus, flying circus... they don't have good access to IG stuff like they used to have with the old god-tier FW renegade list though, which is sad. current renegades list is total dog besides warp flux.

tyranids are interesting, i don't know enough, but they had some guaranteed t1 charge options, genestealers, exocrines, and the full ig arsenal. If you need a full GSC only detachment to field them, a single 5pt aux detachment fulfills that, and would be legal in tourneys using the NOVA Open format.

necrons and orks are built around mass spammed infantry. orks using stormboyz (also good) can actually punch stormravens to death fairly effectively, which is interesting. very limited list of good units though.

8th ed is bubble wrap edition

I feel like my Deldar got a buff, what do you guys think?

Swarmlord's turn 1 charge combo is a great way to end friendships

I think Deldar are in a pretty good place at the moment. They certainly fared better than my Craftworld Eldar did.

>guys what army is best for the next four minutes?

Worthless question. What you should be asking is "guys what army is best to walk on barefoot because I'm a fucking retard"

t. person who has not played the game

>What you should be asking is "guys what army is best to walk on barefoot because I'm a fucking retard"

It was at this moment Anonymous regretted listening to the "use LEGOs to play 40K" posts.

Sorry about you bad luck friend, my Tau ate the nerf bat too. Luckily I don't play them much.

Dakkadakka has a compilation of battle reports, which puts guard and genestealers on the top, tau and orks on the bottom. This is a mix of game types, not just the power builds. Obviously great potential for reporting bias though.

Tournament results seem to say space marines win most with stiff competition from genestealers. Tournaments probably undervalue horde armies a little due to the logistics of fielding huge numbers of models in that environment. Also, space marines are likely to have more players even in a competitive environment.

The gap between the best and worst armies seems to be closer than it was in the last couple of editions.

Overall, I think it's fair to say marines are good and with the boost from their codex (most models get a special rule with no points increase, because fuck you for thinking they were going to keep things balanced) will be top-tier. Guard and genestealer cults will probably stay strong until they get a codex or chapter approved nerfs them in December.

man, I don't know why people don't like lots of terrain. When I set up the table, some people complain there are too many... but I am the Tau player!

there hasn't been any majors to really settle where the shoes fall so give it a year before you listen to anyone, they're all talking shit out their ass trying to guess which army is the strongest

But in a year, over half the armies will have a new codex and all the points costs will have been adjusted by chapter approved. This is the only time in which the armies in the index can all be judged against each other.

At the moment the balance of power seems to be...

Guard infantry horde beats marine flyers
Marine flyers beat genestealers
Genestealers defeat guard infantry horde.

There is no 'bad' army, totally unlike 7th- the ""worst"" army could easily beat out the best from deployment, tactics, or just good rolls.

That being said, both hordes (nids, guard, orks) and medium infantry armies (marines) are favored by the basic rules and points, with 'weaker' infantry (T3 4+) being right at the sour point of not spammable and not tanky.

Genuine top:
>marine flavors, guard (infantry spam), nids, orks (infantry spam), ynarri (due to cherry picking the best), knights

Really good but not quite top:
>Deldar, harlequins, deathwatch (maybe better or worse with various new stuff, dunno for sure), grey knights (have seen them effortlessly kick in daemon nuts but just good outside of that), necrons, chaos marines of all flavors (though Khorne/tzeentch could easily be top tier if allied/played correctly)

Middle tier:
>orks, sisters, balanced play guard, genestealer cults

Could use some help:
>daemons, tau, skitarii, guard (tank spam)

Fuck nigga hahaha:
>renegades

Scions are good but better as allies than alone, silmilar deal with inquisition/assassins stuff; Some is stupid good, but not really playable solo

GSC can also be top tier due to AM and nid allies, but that doesn't really count.

Did I forget something?

Is that Game Empire?