Sell me on this game

I play MtG, and almost exclusively Commander. I've read that this game is basically like Commander witch 60? card decks and minus the other restrictions commander enforces on deckbuilding, as well as cheap to boot.

Tell me more about anime tribal EDH

What's there to tell, it's severely underrated on the west, some places you can only buy it by importing.

My LGS, thankfully, does prereleases(or whatever) and even has some regulars who play. If I see them tonight I might ask for more info, I was planning on going to the next event that they had completely green.

>mfw people started playing this shit in the KTK/BFZ era on my LGS cause the decks were expensive as fuck.

thankfuly, everything got better in the next set and people came back to MtG

>everything got better in the next set

kek

That's what happened with me. People were tired of MTG and all jumped ship but came crawling back around SOI block. FOW is dead in our area though.

From what I played, the game itself feels broken if you're used to MTG. Games were decided normally by turn 4. Burn decks could make you start the game at 25 life consistently. Combo decks go off retardedly early. It can be fun, but also I frequently got the feeling of "nothing I could have done would have changed this outcome".

I see sets in pretty much every LGS that sells MtG. The problem is that the type of weebs who have mustered up just enough courage to go out in public often aren't confident enough to play a card game with blatantly sexualized lolis where everyone can see them. I don't give a shit whether you like a game purely for the fan service, but FoW is just bad enough in that regard to chase a lot of potential buyers away. That's a big reason why games like The Spoils died, even though it was mechanically superior to MtG in just about every way.

The Spoils is dead?
Also, reflect refrain is still banned right....

Yeah, Spoils was shuttered earlier this year.

Aww I didn't get to buy a deck for it...
I wish I could find a store nearby that sells singles...so I can slap together an Alice, Saint of Healing weenies deck or even pick up Little Red the True Fairy Tale.

My only reaction to playing this game was the feeling that I would rather play mtg than a knockoff 100% of the time.

If you don't give a shit about the art being animu, it's pretty fun. When people talk about the game being fast, it's usually because they forget how consistently you can play cards when you cut lands from your main deck and get to play one of them every turn without fail. It's not like YGO where everything is an OTK, it's just that you spend less time fucking around with lands.

That's neat. The ability to build around a single card/interaction is what made me like EDH, so being able to skip mana fixing sounds pretty great.

Hah, I'm beyond shame at this point.

So how is that different from competitive MTG? My understanding is, wouldn't a game that mitigates the possibility of mana screw/flood make that feeling of helplessness less common?

So, as an MtG player myself, I'm pretty well aware that most Magic Players are viciously brand loyal and feel the need to shit on anything that has any modicum of success that isn't magic. So whenever you see people shit talking without backing it up, they probably never played it before, just sayin'.

I don't think most people will admit this or even realize it, but I think the reason that some Magic players will bitch about FoW IS that it's too consistent. You don't really get wins because your opponent bricked and you don't get to blame losses on Flood or Screw. People feel bad when they lose and don't have an excuse.

Thanks for the perspective. I don't think that the game is played near me, but I love EDH and I love weaboo bullshit so I may just make a couple of decks and play around with them.

No problem, to be honest I only looked into the game because I saw it at Gencon and pretty much immediately started shit talking it for looking like Weaboo knock-off MtG. I'm glad I gave it an honest shot, because now I enjoy them both.

If nothing else, the only way to get more people in your area to play is start playing yourself.

>a card game made in Japan
>literally nobody in Japan plays it. No major card shops in Japan sells singles or even booster packs of this game, be it Japanese language or English

D E A D G A M E

Weeb CCGs never last, just the kiddy shit like Yugioh and Pokemoms.

It's a fun game that suffers from the worst case of power creep that I've ever seen.
You can get the cards for dirt cheap, though.
Machina is best bro.

the game's been going for 5 years and is the 6th place tcg on ICv2, so, hey, at least it's got more of a life than you do

>2nd and 3rd best selling card games in the world are weebshit
>Shit doesn't last, except when it does

>not 1st

Lost in WWII and lost at CCGs you slant eyed little bastards.

Too bad that MtG has become full of the MUH DIVERSITY that's killing our western society. I miss the oldwalkers, Urza was a capitalist's wet dream.

this the game with gender bent famous characters from history

like can't you summon female napoleon, Socrates, Heidegger, and joan of arc?

>/pol/fags on Veeky Forums

Just go home

user, you know what joan of arc was a girl, right?

I've played this game on and off since the Valhalla block with that god awful "break" mechanic or whatever, and quit completely earlier this year. These are merely my observations based on my local meta in the LA area.

Frankly, I hate this game's design philosophy. What you quickly start to notice is how tightly they pack their "themes", and how limited that really makes your choices. Want to build a deck that has lots of -1/-1 interactions or something? Well look in this one singular set, because that is literally the only place you will ever find cards that have those mechanics.

Mechanics are also parasitic, instead of presenting you with new ways to interact with universal functions, they give you some completely brand new key word that only works with itself and the cards it will specifically list for you.

The balance is also all over the place, if you decide to pick it up just be prepared to hop onto new decks when a new set comes out.

For positives: If you like the anime tiddy/loli washboards the cards are absolutely gorgeous and the range of alternate arts available for some cards really makes it obvious how little effort Wizards puts into making their cards look good.. The gameplay is MTG, so it's solid. The magic stone deck is implemented well, it just took them forever to print cards you'd think would be a given, like ones that involve spending those actual cards as a resource.

I am home, faggot. If you think that hating poorly implemented diversity, just for the sake of diversity is /pol/, then you're a long way from tumblr.

>citation needed
Also, FoW has been chugging along for a surprisingly long time. If it really was dead, the company would've folded a while ago.
They're also learning a lot from their mistakes, so that's good.

But yeah, it's hard to find players, which is a shame because I enjoy it more than MtG. You don't have so many non-games because one player is getting fucked on lands in some regard, and generally speaking, there are more lines of play available in most decks. Removal is cheap and plentiful and they just sprinted a counterspell that's free to cast (so it slots into any deck) if someone casts two or more spells in a turn. Essentially, it's the ultimate combo deck hoser.

Though ARG did drop FoW from next year's tour from what I've heard, so that's not going to help things.

I really hope FoW step up their marketing, get a website that's actually decent, drop the shitty translations and engrish, and push hard to get people playing by offering loads of incentives. From what I know, most MtG players are interested in the game, but they don't want to be buying into another CCG when they've got hundreds or thousands into MtG.

This is the fairest criticism I've seen so far. Personally, I don't mind archetypes being a bit obvious, a lot of the actual competitive parts of deck building really just come down to tuning your shell to deal with what's popular. My favorite format in MtG is Modern and most FoW decks just feel like good Modern decks to me. I do think it's worth considering that if you don't count Valhalla then FoW is only on its 12th set. I feel like once there are a few more sets come and gone, maybe the game will finally open up a bit for more creative deck building. Hopefully anyway.

I think it's worth pointing out all of the retarded shit that FoW has done.

>Introduce the game in America with Starter Decks that are made of cards that aren't even legal in locals and use mechanics and rules that don't even exist anymore.

>Ba-Ha Blast, a deck with a consistent T2 kill that had absolutely no answers and made literally every other deck completely unplayable.

>Millennia of Ages, a 50 card expansion set that had maybe two playable cards in the whole fucking thing, leaving distributors with pallets full of worthless boxes of shit.

>In Finals of the very first World Championship, an L1 judge got the rules wrong and cost one of the finalists the game, because the Head Judge was hanging out with some Booth Babes.

>Printing Reflect//Refrain, another completely busted deck that made literally ever other deck unplayable, AGAIN, which means that all of the other Rulers who came out in the next two sets were never even played before finally banning it after almost a whole year.

>Vingolf 2, Millennia of Ages Boogaloo

>Printing Pricia, *another* busted ass card that warped the format into a single deck meta, again, then refusing to ban the other broken ass card that enabled it. This time it only took them 3 months to ban it. 20 days before the problem card would have rotated anyway.

Somehow, the game has survived all of these stupid fucking blunders that should have ruined it. If the company can't kill its own game regardless of all its dumb ass decisions, then it's well on its way to being the next WotC!

Does anyone in London play this?

Don't forget.
>Printing Black Moon Beam specifically to counter R//R, which only ended up making R//R stronger by making every other ruler even more worthless

When Alice block and all its cancer goes with it for New Frontiers, I feel like the meta is going to open up a lot. At the moment there are three dominant decks with a couple t2 outliers, which is still pretty decent imo.

Most of the archetyping they do within a set usually winds up being very underwhelming, which isn't much different from how it works in MtG.

I think FoWCo finally learned that a healthy secondary market is absolutely vital to the success of your game. So, they've stopped overprinting the piss out of every set.
I also think they're getting the hang of balance, which when you consider how new it is, isn't that bad. IIRC Urza block was something like the 15th expansion in MtG and that was a massive clusterfuck, so yeah.
Pricia didn't warp the format into a single deck meta, not by a long shot. Gil decks preyed on her, and to a lesser extent Lumia as well. Then there's always Fox lurking in the shadows waiting to take advantage of a moment when people forget to sideboard against him. It's not perfect, no, but it is pretty varied and regional metas vary heavily, though I contribute this to the fact that there are very few tournaments and very few high-calibre players at these events.

On another note, what's kind of sad is there was a tiny local group that played, about 8 people, that I wound up chasing away from the LGS because I played competitive decks instead of random jank-ass shit. I haven't played a game in two months now.

Feels bad, man.

I forgot about BMB because I took a break during R/R, go figure! I don't know though, even after people figured out how to play Daddy Gil Pricia still usually made up at least 7 decks of most top 8s. Not as awful as Reflect or Bahamut, but it certainly wasn't very healthy. Banning Laevatain really brought her down to a more reasonable level though, the post ENW meta is fantastic.

>citation needed

I've been to Japan a few times over the last couple years. None of the card shops I went to stocked any FoW stuff. From big name chain stores to random small, independent ones.

Nobody is playing the game there. There's no demand.

And why does it that matter at all? Japan is over saturated in TCGs, there are plenty of them that any random store won't carry. Who the fuck cares about how it's doing in Japan if it's big enough in the US, Italy, UK, Spain and every other language to stay profitable?

Shit, there are people here that actually play Fow ? I thought it was a MtG holy land and nothing else.

I've been playing since BFA, and I have to say that it seems like the metagame is slowly recovering from R/R and Pricia turn 2 OTK, the last GP had surprising amounts of diversity.

I still feel that Pricia is just too consistent to be healthy, but it's clearly better than it was. The loss of BMB as an answer to her is worrying, but they've actually put a great answer to her in the new fire starter, making even what seems like an okay-ish deck into something interesting.

everyone now was playing only lapis cluster wich made pricia be the second coming of R/R, but now that everyone is playing new frontiers again new decks are seeing play again, and thats good, but pricia and r/r must never happen again if fow wants to survive another year

The only people who care either way are /pol/ and tumblr.

People who want a decent written story care.

>caring about the story in a children's card game
go
home

If you want a decent story, then diversity is the last thing you want to bitch about for FOW. How about the fact that everyone sprouts dank internet memes every other line?
Or at least did in the ones I read.

I played FoW during Alice cluster time frame. Got to see one GP around the time BfA came out. However the game was dead in my area by that time. Didnt continue playing past Curse since there was no point. Also in hindsight regalia was the dumbest fucking idea.

A shame, since all I ever wanted out of a card game was MtGs mechanics with weeb art. Guess I'll play Weiss Schwarz since I can't stand Magic, and YGO is full of thieving dindus.

I think that all the complaints about R/R are a bit much. It was fucking stupid as a card, but the decks themselves were diverse. To me, there wasn't something like "just another R/R deck", because it could be anything from burn to combo to goodstuff to ramp to control. I played beast tribal with R/R as a ruler, because there really is no set one for that deck. Like who else was I supposed to use? At the time, pricia was exclusively useful for 4 sacred beasts, and everything else was outside my colors. So I never really understood complaints like it stifles creativity and the like.

I'm talking about MtG famalam, FoW's story is fucking awful.

The only problem is that Rulers are the selling point of the game. Even if there are a ton of different R/R decks you could run you were still stuck with one Ruler.

I played for a while until I realized the people making it had no idea what the fuck they were doing. People bitch about wizards not printing good cards for mtg but this is the game if you want a few cards to dominate everything and lead to retarded games. That and the idiotic foiling system that changed every set. I hear it is better now but for me it is far too late.

Well that's what happens when every other available ruler will only work with one particular deck style. Alisaris is nothing if not ran in the red exile deck. Pricia 1.0 is worthless without sacred beasts, Alice with fairies, Machina with machines, ect.

>Settling for whatever slop is put in front of you
piggy
piggy

Alisaris was a Red Ruler who's abilities revolved around Exile, so of course you only ran him in a Red Exile deck, but even then you had the option to run Agro, Burn or Tempo in that deck. It's like EDH, your ruler is supposed to be a build around. When you have a card like R/R who can do literally everything, the game turns into 5 Color good stuff. There were plenty of rulers who had one deck, it's just that no one bothered with them when you could use every good card in one deck.

FoW's story reads like some kind of fanfiction you'd find on deviantart written by a 13 year-old. Makes sense, I guess, seeing as how the game is targeted to 13 year-olds.

There's also the fact there is almost no internal consistency with its characters and how they appear in the game. It's like, why does one character appear as a Ruler with a certain set of abilities in one set, and then in each other set they appear as a resonater with completely different abilities? Often in different colors as well.

I also don't understand all the hate Pricia has garnered. It's been a while since a deck around her has actually won anything.

>almost exclusively not a faggot

As far as I know, whenever the company hired a person who actually spoke English to do the translations they also shoved the story onto them too. So what you're seeing is a poorly thought out Japanese plot that was given to an English guy to run with.

Also most of the Pricia hate comes from how dominate she was from between RDE and ENW. She was the go-to deck for netdeckers and required a lot of building around her if you even wanted to play.

>love the design behind Force of Will as a sort of MtG legacy lite with a command zone
>start out
>Abdul is absolute cancer dominating the meta
>"Dude, don't complain, the game is just starting out!"
>tolerate it because of how fun it is when you don't get matched against netdecks
>starter decks come out early
>every single game is decided by turn 2 thanks to the meme sword and Bahamut
>"Dude, the mirror match is really skill intensive! Stop being so salty lmao"
>Attoratica block comes out
>fall in love with Machina
>Cthulhus are cool
>Meta thriving with the arrival of deathscythe and other essential hate cards
>feel deep peace

>the next set comes
>Reflect // Refrain
>fuck
>game balance shits the bed
>people quitting left and right
>keep getting told the meta is fine and that people are just whiners
>go to LGS one day
>everyone quit
I TOLD YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS. IT WAS SHIT. IT KEPT BEING SHIT, AND NO ONE WANTED TO LISTEN.

NOW IT'S DEAD

DEAD
E
A
D

The meta is fine, don't be a whiner

At least they learned to never make the mistake of having regalia ever again. Too bad that revelation came after the fact.