media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
What "makes" a dragon encounter truly memorable? How big of an impact does the DM's portrayal of the dragon go towards "selling" it to the players?

Other urls found in this thread:

orcpub2.com/
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
youtube.com/watch?v=5eHkjPCGXKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SzCpFR3_JTI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

TPK normally does it

>What makes a dragon memorable
The DM playing it smart and not just a wall of HP
Nobody will forget the dragon that forced the party to spend a week running from cover to cover as it blasts them with breath attacks from maximum range.

>60 ft. cone

Yeah, about that.

I'm preparing for Bryn Shandar frost giant raid in SKT.

Reading about giants and frost giants (MM, Volos) I have devised this encounter

The frost giants timed their raid for a blizzard so strong winds, extreme cold and low visibility in the town
Each player rolls a d100 at the start of the turn, 10% chance they are targeted by a stray rock, DC 15 Dex or take 4d10+6
Frost giants have heavy furs, leather, bone and scraps of iron covering their legs, which is armour with AC 15 and 35 HP

3 frost giants and wolves attack and break down southwest gate, one stays at gate, one goes to tavern for ale and another goes to market. Winter wolves track sirac to temple

Sounds OK? I'm having the players attempt to get to the armory and unlock it for the militia and need to rally the frightened town guards

They'll need to climb the giants, jump off from buildings or lure them or trip[ them to do real damage

I want a tense encounter in the temple as two winterwolves pace its halls and search for sirac and a player

Is adamantine armor metal?

Yes

orcpub2.com/ is a great character builder. And there's a bestiary, and spell and item compendiums.
It prints out your spells as spell cards.

What is the official way to map Burning Hands cone? I've found like 100 different cone templates but I have no idea what's right.

What would be some interesting quests a high level party could do in Thanatos, the Belly of Death, Orcus' domain of the Abyss?

But making characters in 5e is already easy enough

5e cones are 53 degrees from the point of origin. So the thinner ones, not the 3.pf templates.

True, but sometimes you just want an already filled in form.

I found the Roll20 importing tool on astranauta.github.io/5etools.html and it's super helpful for loading in monsters especially. Is there anything similar to this but for pregen player characters?

I'm thinking of making a Ranger/Monk because my character was basically part of some wilderness Monks who took care of a Dragon. It's a setting thing.

Would going 3 Levels in Hunter and then the rest in Sun Soul work alright? I know I lose Extra Attack early on but I do get the Horde Breaker attack and Close Quarters Shooter fighting style.

Or would taking 5 in Monk then the 3 Rangers levels be a better idea?

What are some good monsters from the MM to use as pissed off nature spirits?

orcpub2.com/

Don't forget to add all of the sources.

Have you considered full Monk with Outlander background?

What kind of nature? Forests, lakes, mountains, caves, swamps...?

I'd second 's idea of a Monk with Outlander. If you're really set on having spells, you could probably go for a level in Druid or taking Magic Initiate instead.

Depends on what you're after with Ranger really.

Forest

Depends on the level of your players. Elementals of various sorts are always a good fit.

A Scarecrow might be a good option if you fluff it as a being made of more natural materials, like possessed wood and tinder.

I'm particularly fond of the Wood Woad. Counts as an elemental for my player's Moon Druid

Acid just rains tho

I'm glad my suggestion means it makes it into the OP. /casts suggestion.

Treants, Dryads, Lycanthropes, Displacer Beasts, and Owlbears are always decent choices, depending on the level of the party. Jackalweres and Gnolls work for a more evil or "dark forest" setting. Faerie Dragons, Sprites, and Pixies fit a more Fey theme and are more about fucking with people than killing them.

My favorite though is probably spiders... giant spiders, phase spiders, maybe even Driders

So I made/refined/stole/otherwise worked on a bunch of low-magic 5e classes over the past week. Tell me what you think, /5eg/!

>Beastmaster
Replaces the druid

>Knight
Replaces the paladin

>Scholar
Replaces the cleric, sorcerer, and wizard

>Scout
Replaces the Ranger.

>Troubadour
Replaces the Bard

In addition, a low-magic game should obviously include the Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, and Rogue, although probably not their spell-slinging kits (Eldritch Knight, Way of the Four Elements, Arcane Trickster).

The Warlock is interesting in that it's kind of low-magic as-is despite theoretically being a full caster. It'd probably be a good thing to use in a low-magic game to represent a powerful archmage, like Xaltotun from Conan or Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. Otherwise it shouldn't be a PC class.

(Yes yes yes, I know Gandalf is technically an angel, but you know what I'm driving at)

And here's the Scholar spells.

If I was going for a low magic game but still including Warlock then I'd have there be some sort of disadvantage to them using their spells to keep it in line with the theme

Probably as simple as playing up the fact that they're working for their patron and making things more strict in that regard.

Well, that's probably what my Scholar's Magic Mishaps table is for.

Which mystic order is the most fun?

I have a player who wants to play a blind wizard who "sees" with his familiar. He wants to change
>Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn
to
>until you spend another action to end this effect

Is there anything wrong with this? He's not generally a fag so I'm not worried about shenanigans, I'm just trying to think of any weird ramifications of it that might crop up later.

What's the point of being blind if he's going to be able to see anyway - possibly better than he could otherwise, given the enhanced senses of some familiars?

Because dead familiar = blind for at least an hour

Only if you make his familiar getting killed in combat or separated from him a real possibility.

The 3 town attacks in the beginning of SKT are supposed to illustrate how unprepared the North is for giant raids, and how devastating such an attack would be. The PCs are a sideshow, helping townsfolk escape and distracting the giants' minions from destroying necessary resources and industry within the town.
I did the Triboar encounter as I didn't want the party to spend too too much time with Zephyros and I figured Triboar was a nice central location to set them down in.
As long as you play the giants like a force of nature and kind of a background narrative it will work just fine.

What's the order in which a Battlemaster selects maneuvers as they level up?

I NEED 2 COMBAT ENCOUNTERS FOR 4 OR SO LEVEL 3 CHARACTERS HELP AAAH

What environment? Context?

Which ever order they select.

I mean, he could just be a Voice of the Chain Master warlock, which explicitly gives them that. But yeah, is he okay with what happens in familiar dies?

Someone once played a blind Monk (original character do not steal) in a campaign I was in who could "see" through echolocation, and the DM typed up like 3 pages on how the mechanics of it would work, how many squares the echo would travel depending on what material she hit with her quarterstaff and forcing her to restock rocks during exploration and short rests so she could throw them to see further away and what spells would inhibit her echolocation, like thunderclap or silence.

She ended up dropping the concept because she just wanted to be able to see the same as everyone else except her character has a blindfold.

Normal initiative is boring and Greyhawk Initiative is too convoluted to be fun, so I came up with an initiative that depends on a combination of class type and movement speed. Tell me what you guys think :
Everyone rolls a standard d10, then the following classes roll the following additional dice*:
Wizards, Druids, and Paladins: 1d6
Clerics, Sorcerors, and Warlocks: 1d8
Rangers, Barbarians, and Fighters: 1d10
Bards, Monks, and Rogues: 1d12

After rolling those dice, there's a speed modifier addition for every 10 feet, rounding down(current speed value, doesn't matter how); +3 for 30 feet, +4 for 40 feet, +4 for 45 feet, etc.

This is how it would turn out;
>a level 10 rogue with a speed of 40 feet rolls a d10, a d12, with a modifier of +4
>a level 10 dwarven fighter with a speed of 25 rolls 2d10 with a modifier of +2

*Multi-classing characters roll the dice associated with the class they have the most levels in (e.g. A 13 Barbarian/7 Rogue would roll a d10), and characters with an even split roll the lowest-valued die (e.g. A 10 Bard/10 Wizard rolls a d6, not a d12); until XGE releases, UA hasn't been considered
For now I'll call this the variant Diamond Initiative since new variants must have cool names according to WoTC, what do you guys think?

Also your giant should totally sing.

STORM KING'S THUNDER: THE MUSICAL is totally something I WILL make happen!

youtube.com/watch?v=5eHkjPCGXKQ

>Ohh! Ohh!
>We come from the land
>Of the ice and snow
>From the midnight sun
>Where the hot springs blow

>The hammer of the gods
>Will drive our ships to new lands
>To fight and howl
>Sing and cry
>Annam we are coming

>On we sweep with threshing oar
>Our only goal will be the southern shore!

>Ohh! Ohh!
>We come from the land
>Of the ice and snow
>From the midnight sun
>Where the hot springs blow

>How soft their fields so green
>With whispered tales of gore
>Cannot becalm the tides of war
>We are their overlords

>On we sweep with threshing oar
>Our only goal will the the southern shore!

>See how we sweep the land
>And reduce all to ruin
>The ice giants will win the day
>And our worth will be proven

wow what a waste of the GMs work
do you have the pages? that sounds dope

That sounds way too fucking in depth. Three pages of mechanics sounds like it would kill any fun of the theme, and works against 5E build.

>Would have been far better off just letting them generate noises in whatever way they want; whether kipping, shouting, throwing rocks, whatever, and give advantage/disadvantage based on the scenario they are in. Wooooo.

I thought that only removed the range limitation? And yeah, we've discussed that. Part of the reason he wants to do it at all is that it's good drama fuel.

>a blind character ever having advantage

Switch Bards and Rangers and it seems fine

A player in a game I played did something similar, though he was a 4 elements monk and learned it mid-play instead. Even then, the DM just ruled it as a sort of 'tremorsense' where he could sense anything touching the ground within a short radius.

It's cool that your DM did all that for it, but at the same time it does sound rather complicated for that purpose.

forest enviroment, probably one of humans, other of dogs or some shit. Game is soon and I only prepared a map and not actual monsters.

I largely assumed that it was in regards to a check. Advantage/disadvantage to the check; if its a closed and echo-y environment you get a fantastic read on the place (Advantage), if it's a wide open space and you've nothing to reflect sound off of, you get a poor read of the space (Disadvantage).

What the check explicitly is, I leave open. With the way that the user describes their GM, I basically assume that they are making a homebrew 'Echolocation Skill Check' - so certain stuff is advantageous to that, certain stuff is not. Works easier than three fucking pages.

Black Dragon carries a party member 200 feet straight into the air and drops him. 200 feet below on the ground, the Tempest Cleric has readied an action to cast Thunderwave straight as the party member gets within 10 feet of hitting the ground. Assuming the party member lands within the cube covered by Thunderwave, what happens to him?

**cast Thunderwave straight up

Might just have the Cleric make a Reflex save to half the player's fall damage, or reduce it by the damage he would deal with the Thunderwave.

Some ideas:
>humans attacked by a pack of Jackalweres or a few Wererats
>party ambushed by a Displacer Beast or Phase Spider
>party encounters a Green Dragon Wyrmling that is one its first independent hunt

A large thicket of brush is in the player's way, it's all dead wood and plants and twig blights and if they want they can walk through at half speed, attempt to power through it with con checks, or clear a path with bladed weapons, taking more time and making noise but it leaves them a clear path through

What happens if someone casts burning hands on it

>What happens if someone casts burning hands on it
It fuckin burns
And you can assume all the Twig Blights die because the only way they could survive is by making the saving throw and rolling minimum damage

thanks friend.

youtube.com/watch?v=SzCpFR3_JTI

But how much of it burns

The thicket covers at least 150 feet of space in an area, probably closer to 200

It's dry brush. Fires in dry brush spread incredibly rapidly, so if they don't somehow get it under control IMMEDIATELY it will burn up the entire thicket within minutes.

About to start a Tales of the Yawning Portal campaign, and trying to decide what class to make.

From what I have read, it is mostly dungeons right? Would making a character that specializes more in social encounters than combat be a mistake for this?

>From what I have read, it is mostly dungeons right? Would making a character that specializes more in social encounters than combat be a mistake for this?
What do you think, genius?

Yep. Unless you plan to socialize with the traps, or something.

Oh yeah. The social encounters are heavily scripted and bipolar.

I wasn't aware if there were social aspects in between the dungeons. Or maybe you meet another group of adventurers in the dungeons, or just a large amount of NPCs you come across in them. I know nothing about it.

There are some social encounters, but it's primarily dungeons

For example, sunless citadel allows you to ally with kobolds and wipe out some goblins for them, and try to return their stolen dragon, or you could ally with goblins and wipe out kobolds. But mostly it's dungeon crawling

So I've got a player who is trying to play as a Rogue who kills targets with throwing daggers and poisoned darts, only going into melee if needed. Currently I've homebrewed up a simple Belt of Returning (any weapon attached to the belt returns to it after being thrown if the user wants it to return), but want to give him something that might be of more benefit to him later on in the campaign. Here's what I've come up with:

> Cloak of Feathers
Cloak, rare, requires attunement

Description: a leather mantle and hood with threads going down the back, where a series of colored magical feathers rest upon them.

Effect: Your movement speed increases by 5 feet. In addition, as an Action you can whip the cloak around to magically launch one of the feathers and do a Ranged Attack against a foe. You are proficient with the attack roll, and use your Dexterity modifier. The range on the feather is 30/90. On hit, it deals 1d6 + Dex. modifier slashing damage. Sneak Attack can apply to the damage rolls of the feathers. Up to five feathers can be thrown in this fashion.

As a reaction, you can speak a keyword and magically call back the thrown daggers, assuming they are within 180 ft. of your current position. They take the shortest possible path to you, and any creature in the way must make a DC 15 Dex save or take 1d6 slashing damage from the recalled feather, half damage on a success.

Pic slightly related.

>thrown daggers

I meant thrown feathers, my mistake.

Why not making it a melee weapon attack with the finesse and thrown property?

Anyone know of a token pack with spell effects? Looking for like lines, blast, cone, etc of various elements.

More Purple, More Better

sounds fun, choosing between cunning action or recalling could lead to some interesting set ups.

Because if the feathers were razor sharp while being worn, it'd run the risk of cutting up the wearer or whomever the wearer bumped into. The feathers only get razor sharp once thrown by the magics in the cloak, and retain said sharpness until it re-connects with the cloak.

That was the idea behind it; right now most Rogues can just Cunning Action away with little consequence. But if there's a lot of foes in front of them, or one particularly large thing, they can suddenly go, "caw caw, bitch," and give a flurry of feathers up the foe's butt.

All I'm seeing is a Character Sheet, Spell Sheet, and Adventure log in search results.

No it's made of pinecones

When you say 5 feathers, can you throw all five at once, or only one at a time?

>choosing between cunning action or recalling
But the recall is a reaction, so it doesn't interfere with Cunning Action, which is a bonus action

What's more fun, a Totalitarian Drow Society, or the usual Forgotten Realms style one? The first would be more like magical north korea, while I have yet to do research for the second.

Falling PC makes Athletics or Acrobatics check to land on top of the Thunderwave. Cleric makes a ???* check to cast it at the right time. If both succeed, falling PC takes double Thunderwave damage (2d8*2) plus 3d6 as he is pushed up then falls the rest of the way. If falling PC fails, cleric must rush over to the right spot, making a Concentration check (Con save) to maintain hold of the spell as he runs and then make a ??? check. Either way, if the cleric fails his ??? check, he only reduces falling damage by 2d8.

*Could be Wisdom because that's how much he has control over his magic, Dexterity because his reflexes to cast at the right time, or Intelligence because calculations

yeah I'm a moron and didn't read properly

Anyone played College of Swords bard? I am thinking about going Variant Human to pick up a shield for some mega AC. Is it any good?

Only one feather can be thrown per Action. A maximum of 5 feathers can be thrown out in this fashion before it "runs out" of throwable feathers and you have to recall them back into the cloak.

It's page 7 on character sheet

Nevermind, I forgot what you meant by "token pack"

From the description of Burning Hands:
>The fire ignites any flammable objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried.
So the fire starts to spread through the thicket slowly burning all of it. Any twig blights that weren't in the original blast can then decide to flee from the fire, giving away their position. if they come into contact with the fire at any moment, they must save or catch fire, taking 1d10 fire damage at the start of each of its turns.

Yes the only dmg armour you can get away with as a druid is dragonscale or +x hide/leather

You could just say "as an action, you can magically launch one of the feathers. Make a ranged weapon attack with which you are proficient. A feather has the following stats: Damage: 1d6 slashing. Properties: Ammunition (range 30/90)."
This wording already has the info you need to say. Since it is ranged, you use Dex mod to attack. Since it's a ranged weapon, you can apply Dex mod and Sneak attack to damage.

I hope you use a grid, because keeping track of where a feather fell relative to the rogue and the monsters sounds bothersome otherwise. And you should probably make it deal no damage on a successful save.

if your treating it as a sector with arclength equal to radius its 1 radian or about 57 degrees.

if you treat it as an actual cone in 3d space then the angle is 60 degrees as it makes an equilateral triangle in the plane.

I do use a grid, it's the only reason why I'm making such a magical item.

And your wording is cleaner than mine, and would be correct.

Blink dogs

How much would it imbalance the game to change a PC from Humanoid to Abberation as far as spells and effects that can target them go?

Is there a way to hide the GM layer on roll20? Setting up a room with a lot of stacked items and having trouble seeing the player view.

Move them to the map layer, then select the map image and click "move to front". This will hide all of your tokens behind the map background. When you need them to come up, select the map image and click "move to back".

This method will immediately reveal everything that's hidden to your players though, so be careful with it.

Who would you say the defining gods for each alignment are? Like Primus being 100% pure LN

Yeah, was trying to avoid that, thank you though, I'll just deal with this and learn to use better color contrast and placement next time around.

Bahamut for LG, Tymora for CG.

Biggest thing that comes to mind is you'd be immune to Hold Person. And it might fuck with things like favored enemy. That player would also be affected if his target had Protection from Evil and Good up.