Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Kurwa Edition
What's the largest number of foes you've ever faced on the field in a single fight? How did that go down, anyway?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/3GfJKi0y
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljzz?Class-Preview-The-Technomancer
youtube.com/watch?v=jdMwttmXKFw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

At level 10, assuming the GM is okay with it, is it acceptable to dump everything an Invoker has into mastering the Weather sphere? They'll have 15 magical talents, and there's IIRC 11 basic and 1 advanced talent in Weather; I plan to take Weather Specialization to get the sphere, but I'm not sure what to use my other two points on. The stormsoul sorcerer bloodline is thematic, as would be a combination of weather and possibly one more cleric domain, but i'm looking for advice what to do with this.

I'm making a Kensai magus and cannot be dissuaded regardless of how awful it and my life are. I am irretrievably stupid and will never be saved.

What are some good build and strategy decisions I can make to play this character as successfully as I can?

Get your GM to let you use pre-errata Arcane Deed.

>largest number
Man, I don't know, I don't keep track. I remember once we fought 12 ghosts and some other monsters all at once, so probably that.

>How did it go
Terribly, just because the DM is the DM doesn't mean they can manage lots and lots of characters at once, especially when they aren't all of the same kind. Things get bad when there are too many enemies in a fight. It must be even worse in an online game like Roll20.

Awful? Bro, what problem do you have with the Kensai Magus, it's pretty sweet. Sure, diminished spell casting sucks, especially at early levels, but the Kensai gets a lot of good stuff to make up for it. There's not a lot of advice that applies specifically to Kensais instead of Magi as a whole, but I suggest getting Arcane Strike and Riving Strike especially if you have caster buddies in the party. Your INT is extra important as a Kensai because you get more stuff keyed to it, so you'll want to be a bit more focused on it than most Magi. Ironically, this means you'll probably be a better spellcaster than other Magi despite playing the "extra martialness" archetype.

black blade too?

About 25000, but that was in a siege so I'm not sure if it counts.
We recognized that there was no way the city would hold and smuggled ourselves out while the city was distracted by a bombardment

Colossal-sized army. I kind of sequence broke by being able to fly straight in and kill the enemy commander, so the GM decided to just let me spend the rest of the session cutting my way back to our city while the rest of the party fought assassins inside it.

Am I allowed to make an Avowed for GODSLAYERS?

I recently found some stats for Mind Flayers that somebody ported to PF, and I'd like to use them in my campaign. However, I've already established the Phrenic Hegemony form DSP as being a thing, and I don't want there to be too much thematic overlap there. What are some ways I can make them more distinct or integrate them in better? So far I've got:

>Illithids wake up from stasis after backstory cataclysm
>have vague memories of ruling a mighty empire at some point
>cities and strongholds wrecked, no clue where they are or what exactly happened
>wait what happened to the elder brains
>oh shit oh fuck where the fuck did the elder brains go they can barely even move
>start to rebuild, slow going at first but thralls make it easier
>suddenly come into contact with the Phrenics
>tensions are high, neither party has any fucking clue what the other one is or can do
>uneasy alliance if formed for mutual gain: Illithids get resources and knowledge to rebuild lost civilization and Phrenics get more agents and learn weird lore

Any suggestions? Is this too stupid? Not stupid enough?

>The Elder Brains are Disguised

Man, that's some OLD Veeky Forums. Good times, good times.

Have you ever run an Android before? What's some fun stuff you can do with them?

I don't know much about the Phrenic Hegemony, so please tell me more about them and maybe I can help.

>EhnJolly and Forrest stuff allowed in case by case basis

Go ask the DM, not us. Apparently it's SSDK on Discord, so if you don't want to wait for them to see your question on Roll20 you could message them there instead.

Taking Ironspy can make you kind of like Snake

If I made a normal human and called him Gary, made him an absolute hippy, then made him a Wild Caller Summoner (nature's ally instead of monster, plant-based eidolon) whose stash sometimes grew arms and legs to help him out, and played it as if he believes whenever he uses a spell or ability it's just the world helping him along because, "I think I'm a pretty okay guy, and, like, it's just karma man," would such a character be welcome at your table?

That ain't so bad. I could work with that, so long as he shows some initiative.

No, it's a one note gimmick joke character. Maybe acceptable in a one shot but that shit would get old quick.

SSD is intrigue, not godslayer
dumbass user

The Phrenic Hegemony are aberrations that go from world to world and generally fuck everything up, using humanoids as either hosts for their larva or fleshwarping subjects. They started out as DSP's answer to Mind Flayers, but sort of developed into their own thing. The most common type of Phrenic is the Scourge, which looks like an Illithid in a robe but is actually just a mass of tentacles vaguely shaped like a humanoid. There's a bunch of different types that look almost nothing like each other, like giant crab-men and doppelgangers with leech tongues.

They tend to show up in other races' and monster's backstories as the total assholes that ruined everything for everyone. Two of the Bloodforge races came about because the fleshwarping division got bored and decided to fuck around. I'm serious, the backstory of the dwarf-roper things is that a group of their fleshwarpers got bored and did terrible things to some dwarves.

Godslayer is presenting an interesting situation for me as far as coming up with a background for a character goes. The PCs for the game will all obviously be tremendously powerful, much moreso than PCs typically are at the start of a game. One thing people often like about games that start above first level is that you've got room in your character's background for them to have some accomplishments already under their belt- indeed, it would be strange for a 3rd or 5th level character to have no struggles or trials in their backstory. But there's a limit there too, because there's only so much a 3rd or 5th level character COULD have done. You don't see backstories about them single-handedly fighting off a Mythic necromancer's undead army or completing the Test of the Starstone, or crazy stuff like that. But for Godslayer apps, that upper limit isn't there. Unless you're playing an angle that your character was just born incredibly great, any character app for Godslayer is going to need to have some very impressive accomplishments in their background... BUT, at the same time, it's normally boring as fuck to read several paragraphs detailing the nation-saving exploits of some Elminster knock-off. Simply summarizing or briefly overview such incredible accomplishments and training as eligible PCs would have feels (to me, at least) almost as bad.

So how do you approach character design in this kind of context? How do you explain the incredible power your app must have without just wanking about the epic tale of your snowflake? Or do you need to embrace the cringe and do exactly that?

And as a second point, would you say it's necessary for a character to be a snowflake when they're that powerful? Or rather, is a character as powerful as the Godslayer PCs necessarily going to be a snowflake, since they don't have a whole history of a campaign behind them giving them development and showing them earning their power?

Is that fucking Dagoth Gares or some shit?

>recommending bad 3rd party shit no one should ever touch

I'd say make the Phrenic Hegemony proto-Mind Flayers, as in the creatures that will eventually evolve to become Mind Flayers. Then you can either A) say the Phrenic Hegemony members the PCs encounter have time traveled from the past, B) say the Mind Flayers have time traveled from the future, or C) say the Mind Flayers already evolved off of the Hegemony but the Hegemony is still around ("If humans evolved ... then why are there still monkeys!?", etc). I think C is the best, because you could give them a different relationship depending on what you want for your campaign. Mind Flayers are the hidden leaders of the Hegemony? Yeah, it works. The Hegemony and the Mind Flayers are at war with each other because the Mind Flayers think they're the superior breed and should rule the rest? Yeah, that works. The Hegemony is dabbling in self-experimentation and accidentally or intentionally creates the first Mind Flayers? Yeah, that works.

I think the fucking android is bad 1st party shit nobody should touch

I'm not sure the pitch kind of implies to me that you were literally born with that power.

I've got an idea for mine, but I'll keep it quiet for now.

I think the campaign's fluff implies it's open-ended. Want to be born into power? Be a Heir to the Family. But you could be a Heir to the Throne instead, meaning a family could have picked you use from anywhere and at any age. The DM mentioned a few threads back that there will also be an "Outsider" trait, for characters that became powerful enough on their own to challenge this rite of passage, without any connection to the noble families.

Honestly, deciding on whether to have my character be born with power or not is something I'm still flipping back and forth on. But I am definitely interested in playing an outsider or at least an Heir to the Throne instead of an Heir to the Family.

Meanie! That's okay though, I can't really blame you for that.

I'm just gonna do Karna, but he finally gets discontented with being the cosmic beatstick

I'm going to wait for her to finish the info before I do anything desu

>I'm going to break Karna's character in half
Karna never actually wanted to fail, you can play him straight you know.

It sucks. Like all the negative of being a construct without being counted as one for some dumb reason

People thinking that being the butt of most divine jokes was Karna's entire character makes me sad.
He was still very much human, and even with his preternatural composure, he still must have built up some manner of resentment for his place in the world.

in case it was missed, we've got a new Starfinder class preview. Looks like it'll be a reasonably fluid caster that can expend spells to get high level effects.

paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljzz?Class-Preview-The-Technomancer

Who wants to hack reality with me?

Yeah, I wasn't going to touch my character's backstory until I know more of the setting lore the DM promised is coming down the pipe, and settled on working on the build instead. But I've got that mostly worked out now so I've not got much else to think about except my character's fluff now.

That isn't his character. Karna, first of all, was not in fact human, he was the Son of the Sun God. Secondly, his character isn't being the butt of divine jokes, he's in fact a mockery of divine jokes. Here is someone fated to fail that the universe itself wants to fuck over in favor of Arjuna, yet he's so heroic, such a great person, so powerful - that he doesn't rebel against the divine jokes is what makes those jokes fall flat. How pathetic that Indra had to trick Karna. How sad that Arjuna, born with everything and favored by the gods, had to go for the low blow against Karna, born with nothing and despised by them. How revealing, that Karna had to be brought low through assorted malice instead of face-to-face, and how impressive it is that Karna faced through with it even knowing he was being tricked.

3 hours until Essentia DM went off the grid and the campaign declared a bamboozle.

>Largest number
20 hobgobbos

>how did that go down
I died after I ran out of bombs

Neat.

So how did the supreme might of the Wizard and Arcanist get lost, lore-wise?

Been waiting for this.

They didn't; the Starfinder crew has specifically stated that the Pathfinder classes are still around, they're just much less common, and the core classes are the ones that are most common nowadays.

>
As a full action, you can expend an unused spell slot to temporarily construct a technological weapon or suit of armor out of raw magic. You can create one suit of armor or weapon with a level equal to or less than the level of the expended spell slot × 3, to a maximum of your caster level. The item appears in your hands, on your person, or in an adjacent square. You can use fuse spells with this magic hack. A weapon can't be larger than two-handed, and the size of the item can't exceed 10 bulk. The quality of the item is average for its type. Treat this as a spell of the same level as the expended spell slot. For example, at 10th level, you could expend a 3rd-level spell slot to fabricate a weapon of 9th level or lower, or expend a 4th- level spell slot to fabricate a suit of armor of 10th level or lower. The armor or weapon persists for a number of rounds equal to your technomancer level. At the end of this duration, the item disappears. You are proficient with (but not specialized in) any weapons you create with this ability. You can't create magic items, weapons made from a special material, or weapons that are expended with use (such as arrows, grenades, or missiles) with this magic hack.

Not bad

In other words, the Arcanist once against invalidates the Technomancer, who decided to study "employable" subjects like CS instead of magic circles?

Playing a druid with an animal companion with greater than three int.

We're level three, I took light armor proficiency, but I'm not sure what my second feat should be. Any suggestions?

The PF conversion rules are optional.
Trying to play a Wizard in SF is like trying to play an Android in PF; outside of certain edge cases, you'll get slapped for even suggesting it.

Season 2 has officially begun!
youtube.com/watch?v=jdMwttmXKFw

Kensai is a brand of bad because of the fact that, until 11+, what you're getting is worse than what you're trading. VERY much worse than what you're getting. Canny Defense does not make up for it.

So! Who all's excited for the weekend? Any big plans, game-related or otherwise?

Season 2 of what?

I've got family visiting, and a session on Sunday that should be pretty fun.
What about you, Fennec-san?

Androids exist in PF; they're also rubbish.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered
or if you'd prefer
Rising of the Jade: Revengeance

what kind of animal is it? What do you want it to do?

>1/day ability to guarantee success on beating spell resist
>rubbish

Okay, user.

The DM homebrewed some stuff, it's basically a monitor lizard reskinned and homebrewed a bit as a dragon. It's kind of combat focused (which I know probably isn't optimal).

I have fey foundling and 5th level pal, statistically speaking what's best? greater mercy or extra lay on hands?

The wish thing, and the 24 hour buff, both looked pretty appealing to me.

Seems like they've gone out of their way to make Technomancer the team's utility rather than being super combat capable.

>not a fucking construct despite being an ANDROID
It's rubbish.

Meant for

Also clarification, combat focused but more for defense rather than offense.

>Constructed: For the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type (such as a ranger’s favored enemy and bane weapons), androids count as both humanoids and constructs.
Yeah they are, user. You just can't be the muchkin who spends a bit of gold on gaining 500 str with the construct building rules.

>a GM allowing a player to give 500 str to a construct with the shitty construct modification rules

wooooow

Take a look at the bodyguard feats, then. They may come in handy.

We'll wait for actual golem modification rules; should get them in a few weeks with one of the new handbooks.

Druids already have armor proficiency... unless you mean for your Animal Companion, in which case Improved Natural Attack or Weapon Focus in their Natural Attack is always a good option.

>yeah they are user
>munchkin
You're the one who starts bringing up their abilities to "make saves" as an argument, I'm talking their fluff is fucking rubbish, they're not fucking androids they're people with nanobots.

Wizards get depowered in exchange of being able to wear some armour with the appropriated feats? Y/N

No, that's just a worse Magus. A Wizard isn't a Battlemage.

they can already wear armor with the appropriate feats, also mage armor

>to wear some armour by sinking feats
Or hear me out, he could blow a Scroll of Mage Armor for the entire 10-hour dungeon delve and be wearing Medium Armor.

Stjarnagardr GM, here!

We're gonna make up for last weekend's session being a bust. The group all seems to be ready to go, and I've got everything ready for them to enjoy.

As well as a backups in case they choose to do something unexpected.

Something like going back to fight the Dragon again the very next day after having their asses handed to them. Like they did in their first dungeon.

Clearly you've never actually read the fluff and just skimmed through the stat boxes.

Looking forward to the session, where we'll probably be running damage control post-boss fight. I'll also be attending a group outing with a friend of mine and her fiancé-apparently she's keen to introduce me to a coworker.

>you've never actually read the fluff
It's a body with nanobots that "reboots" and grabs a soul from who the fuck knows where, that's not an android that's a person with nanobots.

no, seriously, not that user, but they're not robots. They're bioroids.

Psssst, hey /pfg/, quick question: Is there a way to get a +10 *enhancement* bonus to Strength?

Custom Magic Item rules, a +10 bonus on one stat costs 200 000, go beg your DM for it or something

Is defeating the dragon currently within their capabilities? Have they surprised you before?

What? At level 11, you get Superior Reflexes, and THAT'S the tipping point in your mind where the archetype starts to become worth it? Not the INT-to-AC you get at level 1, not the free weapon proficiency feat and Weapon Focus feat at level 1, not the INT-to-init and ability to take AoOs while flatfoot, but Superior Reflexes?

I can respect your opinion, but I do not understand it. I could understand saying the archetype doesn't really come into itself 7th level, but why 11th level?

By the way, if you're still looking for build suggestions I recommend Sandals of Quick Reaction and Bracers of Armor for a Kensai. If you're in a campaign where you have downtime to take advantage of, Craft Wondrous Items is great- but that's pretty obvious. If there's no downtime, see if your DM thinks you should be able to work on crafting while using the Keep Watch spell, or whether it counts as "vigorous activity" and disrupts the spell.

Can you use natural weapons to escape "Swallowed Whole"?

Kinda wanna get Starfinder.

Are Magus useful?

You're in luck, then. It's coming out fairly soon.

"Effect targeting"
How many beneficial spells are construct only?
You also don't get all the neat immunity constructs have or qualify for construct feats.

Where the fuck is this from lol

Warhammer Total War II.

Natural weapons are light weapons so you can.

Without going into Ungermaw, what's the easiest way to get swallowed whole on a pc?

My lizardfolk cleric just died confused, in alone, and in the dark

>braccers of armor
>not armored kilt

That "dismembering" animation without the blood and gore DLC makes it look so goofy.

bumpo

How did they meet such an unfortunate end?

A magus is proficient with the scimitar by default, which is arguably the best weapon for him. The Int-to-AC comes at the cost of spells/level, which isn't TOO bad but is still not really worth it when Light Armor and Displacement will cover your ass just fine. "Free Weapon Focus" isn't really a good selling point.

I will give you that 7th level is probably more accurate, but overall your trades are all okay at best, and it trades REALLY GOOD SHIT for trash while the rest are sidegrade-tier.

>Want to build a small continent
>Write out short descriptions of a few countries
>Want to focus on a mid-size kingdom, fairly diverse in terms of what's there and landscape
>Come up with a name for the country, then hit a brick wall as to describing anything about it's landscape/cities
What should I do in this case? I'm not entirely sure where to go next aside from maybe cracking open some sourcebooks and working off of those.

>Not dump Str and wear a haramaki, or hell wear both haramaki and armored kilt
Bracers of armor is still shit cause it stops functioning if you have Mage Armor on too.

Give me the details on this. What book would these new rules be from? I've always been interested in this sort of thing but never got the chance to play a wyrwood to the point of self upgrades.

Gingerbread witch

Extra, I should think. Being able to use it more trumps getting a little extra if you don't have to cure a condition. Besides, if you have Fey Foundling, you're already getting plenty of health every time you use it.

Is there no other way to do it? There's got to be some spell that grants a +10.