Destiny as a Setting

Alright Guardian, while the MC is off trying to get the Vanguard leaders back somebody has to try and stop the fucking Cabal from slapping their ugly alien turtle dicks all over everything never mind everything else that wants to kill us still going for our necks. Are you up to the task?

Other urls found in this thread:

cracked.com/blog/the-amazing-secret-sci-fi-epic-hiding-in-destiny/
destinytimeline.com/
youtu.be/EwP1ldmMR74?t=2s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm fairly certain that nobody wants a tabletop setting that is 5% combat and 0% story.

What would the remaining 95% be?

garbage

Rolling loot tables?

Someone made this character sheet for a destiny system a while back. Don't have any of the rules they made though

It would have to be seen if anyone else can get their light back partially from the Traveler Shard that is in the European Dead Zone. That said, for potential story elements:

1. You still have groups of humans living outside of the walls and scattered in various directions and places

2. You still have the Concordat who was exiled out of the city during the faction wars

3. The main factions are probably all in a tizzy now that the City got rofl stomped by Gary and no doubt have their own drama to deal with

4. The Shadows of Yor are becoming a thing and no doubt they are fighting the Cabal as well as anyone else but who's to say someone hasn't drank a little too much of the Raspberry kool-aid and went full on Dredgen Yor indescriminetly killing people.

5. The Vex, Hive/Taken, and Devil Splicers are still active and fucking things up even with the Cabal around.

>5. Devil Splicers
In Ghost Fragment: Fallen 6 a report comes in that all known Fallen strongholds are being abandoned and it looks like the fallen are pulling out of the system en masse. So the Devil Splicers will be less of a problem. What ever the new purple house is may have SIVA perfected fallen in their ranks though.

Part of that could be Prince Uldren having called the other houses to his side after BTFO the Kings and becoming their Kell but then the ones that are on Nessus don't seem to be a proper house. That said, they could have been lost/abandonded there because Nessus has it's weird orbit that seperated it from everywhere and everything else for hundreds of years. My guess is they were former members of House of Wolves who crash landed after the Wolves got fucked by the Reef.

They're huge.
*Berserk Sphere*

The Concordat would be an interesting one to explore.

Lysander shows himself and his Concordat followers as they begin to help in earnest against the Red Legion, chances are he knows that a lot of guardians were able to restore their light partially with the Traveler Shard and wants to do the same himself by pretending to want to buddy up with the other Factions stuck on the Farm

I've been trying to think of a basic system to use for a Destiny style game. I kind of like Star Wars rolling mechanics where even if you fail you could fail in a not so bad way and vice versa. I'm thinking something like rolling a number fo D6's by either rolling the stat itself or rolling the stat with an associated skill.

This could carry into combat as well as rolling really good could give bonuses like extra dice to the next player's roll or something (call it blessings of light).

No. Leave.

I thought about doing this as an eclipse phase type system where you can become reborn in new bodies if you record your memories. In this setting there is no space magic, but the Traveler is a human built probe that found a powerful alien construct and servants and returned to Earth to fight it. It was a very post-apocalyptic setting with the main mystery being what happened to Earth. PCs would wake up from cryo without any solid information about what had happened.

System-wise I was thinking d6 or savage worlds

Also doing it was a White Star style system with 'space magic' seemed appropriate, with the PCs becoming reborn through dropping a level after death.

I haven't played Star Wars edge of empire but the setting seems a tight fix and I like the idea of the dice.

Destiny had a superb art direction for a sci-fantasy setting and I'm curious to see if bungie leans more to the fantasy side in D2 or fucks it up and goes full "hard scifi with magic press X to win buttons"

I suppose a big part is how much of the game do you want to try and emulate in teh system because I don't imagine guardians are using one element/class stuff at a time even though that's a thing in game.

For instance, Zavala is seen using Fist of Havoc and later he's using the Sentienel's Ward of Dawn (not at the same time obviously). Then again, you'd imagine not every guardian is running around having max statted multiple class skills. You could be a Voidwalker who was just taught how to use Dawnblade but not able to do much more then summon the blade while someone else could be doing some next level shit with it.

>stop liking what i don't like

They fucked up the way shit looks, it looks like everything is made of plastic now, the only set that was remeniscent was the strike armor from the beta, everything else looked like anime shit with halo style

I.E. it looked absolutely fucking awful
And the rest of the beta played like a dead tortoise, it honestly felt like they took the few good things out of the game for the second one to appease people who won't buy it anyways

Highly-choreographed laser-lit dance concerts.

The cabal aesthetic changes are fine for a hard scifi faction that's never touched any space magic with a ten foot barge pole, but yeah they completely fucked up titans trying to make them look beefy. I'm curious to see what they've done with the hive though

Guardians are known for dancing on the table according to Cayde

We havn't seen all the armors that they have yet though, I assume you're referring to the Parade Armor that you see them initially using even then I don't think all Titan Armor is bulky like that, especially the femail titans who they don't go out of the way to look like beef mountains.

Some of their armor looks ridiculously disproportionate, especially on female titans. At least warlocks actually look like space wizards now.

It all remains to be seen, we still have Raid armor to look forward to. That said, I hope Hive armor will be more diverse when it eventually comes around that Savathun and Xivu Arath decide to go find who killed their brother and their nephew/neices.

Thank you herr doktor

I would start here:
cracked.com/blog/the-amazing-secret-sci-fi-epic-hiding-in-destiny/
I don't even play the game but I found the could-have-been interesting.

destinytimeline.com/

This site appears to try and map the timeline for the entire setting which is interesting because I was initially under the impression that everything after the fall took some 700 years when in fact that makes more sense when you include the golden age so everything post fall to the present is like 2 or 300 years really.

I bring this up because from an RP standpoint, when you were revived as a guardian would impact what abilities you may or may not have since the concept of guardians wasn't a thing till after the Iron Lords pretty much brought all other warlords to heel.

So do guardians remember anything of their previous life beyond fleeting memories?

They typically don't remember things from their past lives but there are exceptions.

Cayde 6 apparently has memories from the Golden Age and before he became an Exo and Fenchurch Everis who had a silver coin that matched the one Tess Everis had so he took her name and referred to her as his niece.

Exo's in general seem to have a slightly easier time digging up their old memories. One of them is able to remember the battle in which he died during the fall.

Probably has to do with the fact their brains didn't rot away like humans or Awoken did.

The could have been depresses me.

So many things that will never live up.to their potential.

The number in an exo's name represents how many times they've been mindwiped/reset. This is why Banshee-44 has chronic amnesia.

I find destiny odd, they introduced 4 alien species that all happened to show up at the same time, some of which were not even involved with the light or darkness at all they just happened to show up. Were the Cabal really necessary at all? Honestly they could have just had the Hive and Fallen and it would have been lest cluttered the Cabal and Vex were kinda pointless.

It's to provide counterpoints to one and other, and because they follow the Light or Dark without knowing it. It's about conflicting philosophies more than just straight up fighting.

Plus all the races show up because of the Light v. Dark fight that goes down. The Fallen are chasing the Traveller, the Cabal also seem to be doing so, and the Vex actually show up before the Fall, and the Hive are the Darkness' servitor race essentially.

They didn't show up at the same time. No one knows exactly how long the fall took and the current year is unknown.

Who is really at fault for this anyway is it Activision meddling or was it Bungie biting off more than they could chew and the loss of the head writer?

Honestly, in some ways I prefer the Grimoire to a conventionally told story. It allows for more depth of philosophical ideas and a wider narrative scale. Plus, the figuring out what everything is actually trying to tell you and piecing it together is half the fun.

I don't remember if Bungie said they're scrapping grimoire for D2, but I feel like the whole universe might get a whole lot less interesting if they do because they'll still just have a dumbed down generic shooter story but none of the cool background fluff.

So what is the opinion on weather the Traveler is evil or not? And will this continue to be hinted at in 2 or will it be dropped entirely?

I'm glad the the original plot, with the Traveler turning out to be evil and Osiris becoming you mission giver, got scrapped. It's kinda dumb and more cliched than what we ended up getting in the grimoire stuff.

I would prefer something based on a good game - Like warframe

Which then you think about it - could be interesting if you played as defeceted grineer, or one of the syndicate guys - you even would get to roleplay

It's pretty much been dropped by Taken King. The Traveler might not be the most conventionally lawful good entity, but fundamentally it's trying to help and be good.

>—The Sky is the harder way. But it is kinder.—

It's also probably worth noting that the Darkness won't factor into Destiny 2 very much according to Bungie. It's primarily about stopping Ghaul from stealing the Traveler and freeing the Light. The Darkness is apparently biding it's time and licking it's wounds from Destiny 1.

It's a halfway point, instead of being on bungie.net destiny 2 will have an in game grimoire page.

>Secondary attributes not between the two primaries that would logically contribute to them.

Fucking garbage.

Oh good. The Grimoire was really getting good in RoI and TTK. If they had scrapped the system it would seem like a bit of a step backwards.

The cabal are an empire based on a giant planet sized ship constantly pulling scorched earth tactics and delaying actions out of their ass trying to stop the darkness, and the vex are an enigmatic race with limited time travel that has the capacity to harness the darkness but isn't aligned with it per se.

Well, the Vex literally worship the Darkness. They don't basically take orders from it like the Vex do, but they certainly align with it.

The vex's initial reaction to the thing in the black garden can be summed up as "this being is completely beyond our understanding, it may as well be a god."

It's really more they wanted a do over because they even admit they didn't know the direction they wanted to go with the Darkness even though they set up the Darkness as they did in the Book of Sorrows

youtu.be/EwP1ldmMR74?t=2s

>Implying these are daily occurances in the tower
>Implying Zavala isn't up in the tower with a cup of coffee shaking his head seeing fellow guardians dancing and free styling when they should be off defending the city
>Implying Ikora Rey doesn't go down there and school them all with sick ass rhymes

Dark and Light in Destiny was even more bland shit than it was in WoW.

>good game
>Like warframe

That doesn't represent the gameplay and you know it.

That doesn't even represent the game, let alone how it plays.

Not the one who posted that but it represents Muh Dick