What Tabletop System lends itself well to the Legend of Zelda? I was thinking D&D 5e...

What Tabletop System lends itself well to the Legend of Zelda? I was thinking D&D 5e, but only because I have that readily accessible.
>inb4 "5e sucks" meme

Any system suggestions, though?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/BopRvR4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm going to be that guy and suggest GURPS. It's got all your bases covered in terms of equipment: boomerang, grappling hook, sword-and-board, slingshot, etc. If you use what's known as a wildcard skill you can cover *all* the skills and techniques involved with being Link (or Link-like).

But it does indeed suck

What exactly would be involved in a LoZ game? It seems like a pretty generic fantasy setting mechanically, you'd just need to repaint things. Do you mean you want a solo game or something?

There's a few different angles you could take on Legend of Zelda. You just want going around doing dungeon adventure hoodrat shit? You want cool unique items with mechanical importance?
Puzzle hype?

What's essential to LoZ stuff for you? Do you imagine your campaign as like a run through of Four Swords (The Everyone is Link edition) or just the mishaps of a few cool folks around hyrule?

>5e sucks meme
It's not a meme, son.

3.5 has a lot of options, but everyone will go for the Tome of Battle.
You can convert Dark Heresy 2 for fantasy. You'll then have the Dodge and Parry skill on that sweet d100.

I was thinking a grandiose sort of adventure, with a BBEG and all. I was also thinking there could be puzzle elements as well.

Was considering survival-type stuff, but that may be too much.

I mean a lot of people run D&D to make that work. Not a lot of in-system ways to force puzzles to work but at the same time if I was in the group I'd probably enjoy puzzles more if they weren't just mechanical tests of game rules and I had to *figure it out*

Might be worth looking at FATE or one of the lighter fantasy systems. Just because Zelda heart logic doesn't seem to concern itself with precise numbers of hit points, and I think that might help the game feel more heroic? Since FATE is more about sticking people with consequences and aspects than "Reduce # to 0"
(I mean you can break down LoZ to numbers since that's literally how the videogame math works but I never felt like 4 hearts was 16 hp, you know?)

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll give FATE a look.

SAVAGE
WORLDS

After replaying Oracle of Seasons again I've had an odd desire to try and make a Zelda-themed adventure out of Ryuutama, but I'm not sure if the dungeon crawling aspect would translate over as well. Seems like it would be a decent enough systems for a BotW campaign, though, since it's more about the overworked exploration.

*overworld, I mean

What? Warden? Link clearly is a sword/bow Bard Elf or Human depending on what you consider a Hylian

But yeah, the tactical, visual, combat-as-puzzle aspect of 4e is great for it.

First thought: Get Into the odd (the bigger vesion is free in the authors blog)

Rename the stats into Power - Wisdom - Courage

Change the item starting packs for things you would actually find on Hyrule

Profit!!!! I'd do it myself but i've not played many zelda games (which I intend to change someday)

Hylians are half-elves that outbred both parent races to extinction

You could make a Legend of Zelda game work in 5E. I think 4E would work better, but 5E would be fine, too.

That's actually a really good idea, and would be way better than the Zelda RPG on 1d4chan.

4e/Strike! would be perfect for a Zelda game that's actually a team game, like 4 swords, where you each have access to one piece of the combat puzzle.

GURPS would be terrible for a Zelda game.

>male Kokiri
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I once made the Great Deku Tree for 4e. The roll of PC where (don't remember much):
Kokiri (Halfling, but with Elf Accuracy as Fairy's Z Targetting), I think it was Rogue (Deku Sword as short sword and Sling);
Hylian (Half-elf?), Warlord, spear and shield;
Goron (Dwarf), Fighter, brawler, one hand with a hammer, the other hand free.
Zora (Elf? Can't remember), Ice Wizard.
Sheikah (Eladrin, Fey Step was Deku Nut), Monk
Gerudo (Human) Ranger, dual wielding scimitars;

First encounter was a kokiri being ambushed while going to Hyrule castle for help. PC party was travelling the field and went to help against bandits. He dies and its fairy Navi becomes a Companion.

Second encounter was a Wolfos attack in Kokiri Forest.

Only the third was inside the Deku Tree. The round room had the Gohma web in the middle (difficult terrain, web as seen on DMG2), with a skultula (melee skirmisher) in it. On the other side, Deku Scrubs (minion artillery), and around the border Deku Baba (0 speed minion, but his at-will slided into the web).

Phone posting this is horrible

OP Here

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm working on my setting story now.

this was floating around in my huge rpg folder. havent read it, dont have time at the moment. let me know how it goes.

This link with give you Breath of the Wild player options. imgur.com/gallery/BopRvR4

Why's that?

Utterly ridiculous. GURPS is for when you want details and various systems. Zelda is more... well, light. You get a few pieces of gear, each with their own, relatively simple mechanics, a basic, fast-paced combat system, and a wide, expansive world with some cool fights to look forward to. By the time you tailored GURPS to do exactly that for you, you'd have less of a system than what you started with. Besides, there's systems with a much faster learning curve that'll do exactly what you want.

Honestly, I'd go with a Sword and Sorcery game that has a fast-paced, flavorful combat system and tweak it to do what you want.

I'd go with Savage Worlds. It's a relatively robust generic system thathat has a decent balance between crunch and light mechanics. It should do LOZ fairly well.

Get the supplements made by Zadmar (particularly Savage Armory) to expand its versatility and smooth out some minor balance issues.

LoZ still has humans though. Not as common in Hyrule, but they're still around. Whole Kingdoms exist with entirely human populations.

>What Tabletop System lends itself well to the Legend of Zelda?
The big thing about Zelda is that it's pretty heavy on magic items, but not so much on actual magic (outside of Zelda 2 and the few spells you get in ALTTP/OOT).

To fit the spirit, you need a system with a ton of magic items that have utility rather than just bonus to stats, and one with limited magic or plenty of martial options.

Granted the games show that people who aren't Link regularly use magic (Ganondorf is described as a powerful sorcerer after all), so you don't necessarily /have/ to limit magic if you're going more for the whole feeling of the Zelda world, rather than the gameplay experience.