What does an Elvish accent sound like?

What does an Elvish accent sound like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fHxO0UdpoxM?t=7s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

like voice of gelded Frenchman

Liverpool Accents. They'll fuck your Shit up.

Scottish.

Dwarves are Irish.

Unintelligible begging and screaming.

Why did you make this excusively about elves and not all races? Because this is the daily elf shitposting thread, right?

> Humans invariably have European accents
> Orcs sound like Benedict Wong choking on a bagel
> Goblins all have Mid-Atlantic accents like 1930s radio announcers
> Elves sound like they're either from Michigan or Finland
> Dwarves sound like Mort Goldstein's brother or have Israeli accents

I have the weirdest setting.

>Oi m8, what're ye doin in muh wud
>Wun more step'n'll make yer pretty leg int' a pinchushion a' swear me mum

Halflings, when will they learn?

Because I'm running an elf starting today with accented Common in a gurps DF campaign.Elfposting is always valid

>Benedict Wong choking on a bagel
Can we get a demonstration for the class?

I misread that as unintelligible beeping.

I prefer that.

French.

That's not scouse you fucking weapon.

XENOS BEGONE

>forcedelf.jpg
>pointless thread

They are rural, chaotic and look down on other races. So naturally its a redneck drawl.

"We don' like yer kind 'round these parts. My grandaddy planted these woods hisself, when youse was living in a cave!"

BE GONE, THOT

They are also obsessed with bows and really like to hunt.

Only if it echoes off of their ears, Jew.

Awwright mate, kahm dahn. Ya dunneed ta throw ah wobbly!

I find the theory espoused by your image to be very plausible.

I'm going to have to use that in my next campaign.

>Ooooh, we Erves sucky-sucky big Human cock long-time!

>not basing accents on social standing instead of race
pleb

Like (you)

>Neither of my parents natively speak English
>Neither do I
>Live in a non-Anglophone country
>Everyone keeps telling me I have a British accent
>I can't even hear it, except for the fact that I don't roll my Rs
Elves have the worst accents.

Please just don't give him attention.

kek

I always imagined them having accents that dance around Scotland and Wales. The accent just gives off a folksy, mythic feel when it's heavy enough.

A smooth, sonorous, almost practiced diction adds to the effect. A Shakespearean dialect, but the very oldest kind.

It would sound like some kind of celtic accent, Irish, Welsh, or Scottish. Seems like the most obvious one since Tolkien's elvish language is based on Gaelic.

Quenya is based off Finnish and Sindarin is either based off Welsh or Gaelic, forget which.

like everyone has a slight lisp

I've always gone with a german accent. It's where elves come from and it's a great language to be condescending in.

As a scouser allow me to offer this instead:
> Ee'ar m8, what the fuck do yous think you're doin' in me fucking wood.
> You're doin' me fucking head in m8, I'll fucking do you knowhatimeen?

Aren't we more like city halflings? Generally unambitious, appreciate quantity of food, and normally terrified of true adventure but quick to barely adapt if forced?

The fuck you say? Halflings are Irish, dwarves are Scottish, elves are probably fucking Welsh or something.

Well, I'm Scandinavian and have been told my language sounds more or less like lilting elf song, so I guess that's a contender.

it's always been french and a little gaelic to me

It depends on the setting, and what the language sounds like. A reasonable accent could just be produced by learning the possible sounds in the Elvish language, then using those sounds to represent English instead of English sounds.

Middle-earth has the main elvish language based on welsh, so you might also be able to just speak in a welsh accent. Nobody fucking knows welsh, anyway, so it's not like anyone could tell.

Depends.
Is it an NPC? Probably no accent, just higher pitch for vocal chords, and maybe not even that bad.
Is it a PC? Two choices: a shitty attempt at recieved pronunciation or no accent. If you hear R.P. FUCKING RUN.

depends on the setting

Elvish version of rolling coal - just ride that elk into the human town hall, have it poop on the carpet.

>Michigan

Please, God, no, Michiganders are a special kind of subhuman.

t. Ohio

First post is best post

Elves don't fuck sheep!

> High elves
Oxford, specifically university and rich-fuck areas. Prissy stuck-up know-it-alls in need of a good smack to the face. More entitlement than sense.
> Wood elves
Thick rural accents. Cornish, Yorkshire, rural Berkshire, that sort of thing.
> Drow/dark elves
East end/cockney, with a twist of stereotypical evil for the upper classes.

> Dwarves
Scottish accents are traditional. Thick highland, Glaswegian, maybe heavy northern English accents. Maybe scandinavian or german for an exotic flavour. Use of language will generally be of a working-class flavour, full of jargon, slang, and projected across a work area. When a group of dwarves is in your area, they will assume they're taking control over it.
> Humans
Upper classes will sound like high elves. The peasants will make use of whatever rural accents are appropriate for their geography. Estuary english in cities, rural accents in the countryside, welsh-tier encryption in the remote areas.
Sailors will always talk vaguely like a pirate, arr.
> Halflings
Irish accents. They're basically pikeys.
> Gnomes
Squeaky and nasal. East-coast american, maybe Boston.

the various Elves all have Scandinavian accents.

nothing funnier than running into wood elves and having them curse you out like the Swedish Chef crossed with a Finnish Viking and a Norwegian Farmer.

"Scandinavian" accents are pretty different, For instant Finnish which isn't considered Scandinavian is a very a different language from the rest, and their accents often sound closer to Eastern European because of its ugric roots. Norwegian and Swedish are pretty close to each other, and Danish is similar in some ways, but flatter and more gutteral.

>High elves are fancy so they speak like fancy Englishmen
>Wood elves are rural so they speak like rural Englishmen
>Drow are cunts so they speak like cunt Englishmen
>Humans sound different depending on various circumstances rather than (sub)race
Behold: the problem with modern fantasy and elves in particular. Elves have become even more fucking generic than humans, in that they have a subrace for fucking everything. Why not just get rid of elves entirely and have different subraces of humans instead? Woodmen, Mountain men, Aquamen, you name it.

Tolkien based the sound of Elvish on Welsh, so that's probably accurate for that canon at least.

>Aquamen

That would be absolutely outrageous.

>His drow don't sound slavic
>His halflings don't sound carribean
fucking disgusting

Why? Just either make them aquatic humans with slimy skin and gills or make them mermen. Hell, for the former we already sort of have sahaugin.

Using humans as the base with all other humanoids being human subraces would work a lot better than whatever the hell we're doing with elves. The only "risk" is that SJW lefties would whine about the implication of different races of humans having different traits, such as mountain men being sturdier while plainsmen have better stamina and settled men higher intelligence or whatever.

And yes, I know that these names suck but it's not impossible to make up better names for these concepts.

What if I already do have sub-races or at least different cultures of humans? And what if 'wood elf' 'high elf' 'dark elf' etc. are just different cultures of elf, that happen to result in different sets of traits being typical?

>he didn't get the joke
Sad!

>Using humans as the base with all other humanoids being human subraces would work
They are the basis already. You may know some of the subraces by the names of elf, orc, dwarf, etc

>Elves have this strange monoculture when humans do not.

How often do elves die?
How long is an elven generation?
How much territory do elves live in?

Elves life effectively forever, and are typically few in number. The less they have the less variance. The longer they live, the less variance. So what, you have those elves that take 100-200 years to reach full maturity? Can breed forever? It would make sense for them to sound and act alike.

How long have American's used "cool" as a means to denote something positive and likeable? Or "wicked" as a positive? How long till "keen" faded from use? How many generations?

Now how long is that eleven generation? 200 years, 400 years? 600 Years? Americans use certain expressions for a generation or two. Roughly 30 years. Imagine if Elves had an annoying accent, or a dialectic quirk that you annoyed. From the time The medieval period began, to the end of the Renaissance, the elves would use it. So would the elves in the upper provinces of their kingdoms or whatever, same with the lower. Elves live unreasonably, and incomprehensibly long.

Even in my setting where elves reach physical maturity by 20 and stop being fertile around 400 thats still a LONG ass time between generations for new ideas and cultural identity to show up. So Say the elves migrate often and they stay for thousands of years, then progress like what? Two generations? So from the 70s to the 90s Baring technological advances then lets say 1700s-1730s

Whats the difference in elves?

Why would elves function psychologically like humans? Why wouldn't they change up habits every couple decades or when they spend some time around new people? FR elves have a whole personality reconstruction thing they do every century or so. Some settings' elves can't even remember most of their life, purging themselves of memories and skills because they just don't have enough headspace.

this is where we get into the argument of personality in the now vs core personality.

I find elves are a great race to NOT treat like humans. Humans you can write about the human struggle of survival and adversity. The things that make you human.

With eleves I find its fun talking about and exploring the concepts of self. What makes a person do what they do, and who they are. Elves don't HAVE a human struggle. So what defines an elf to be an elf? At what point do they just degenerate socially and mentally?

Its a fun bit of world building where you have guidelines but not rules.

The elves in my game are like a cross between Celts and Jews culturally. "Druid" is a culturally significant title that basically means 'holy person' that has been co-opted by the other races at large to mean 'nature magician' but it has more significance to Elvish society.

This basically makes me imagine my elves as sounding like Welshmen speaking Yiddish.

Danish.

danish here, danish accents are shit

What's the problem with elves having accents that I as a GM know and can imitate?

Because we must be DISTINCT AND ORIGINAL in this game that rips off Tolkien at every available opportunity

After 30+ years of fucking its own grandfather I think it's only really ripping off itself.

What's wrong with elves speaking in RP?

It is totally like the only elves ever worth a damn ever didn't speak just like that.

>Jackson is canon

Go back to /pol/ with the rest of the shitposters you Russian

I didn't find everything Jackson did in LotR films as right but overally they were quite good at capturing the story. Hobbit is another thing but let's forget about this degenerate attept at seizing money.

But I found elves speaking in perfect RP as opposed to the other characters as really fitting. I can't imagine it the other way now. MAYBE it's because english is not my native langage and those accents ring different bells than for native speakers, but I still like them in context of Tolkien's elves, while not really giving two shits about non-tolkien elves.

I like to remove any sense of drive or motivation from elves. They are born with an affinity for nature, don't know disease, and live for centuries. They have no reason to really apply themselves. If an elf is good at art it's because he likes drawing and got good over decades of idle doodling. Experience builds slowly and casually. Think of someone that gained an encyclopedic knowledge of war medals by reading historic fiction.

Then, when someone comes along an elf that is driven and motivated, you have to wonder why the drive is there, and more importantly what kind of skills has the elf been actively honing over decades.

That's still one of my favorite greentexts, i need to learn to roll my Rs and do a slavic accent, my god.

Elves literally have their own language, why would they have an RP accent? The "English" language spoken in the books is meant to be the language of Men. If anything it makes more sense for the men of Gondor to have an RP accent and for the elves to speak precisely, but with a slight yet distinct accent.

Like this, obviously

So then?

the snobbiest English accent you can imagine dripping with the most distain you can layer on top.

I have elven languages have either a Semitic, Iberian, or Finnish flair to them, depending on the region.

It depends on the setting, but if you generally make then sound like arrogant sods, you'll be fine.

>if you generally make then sound like arrogant sods, you'll be fine

Billy Bob the Elf Lord does.

>Building an enchanted barrier around the forest and making the humans pay for it
>Calling for a complete shutdown of immigration from radical Pelor-worshipping nations until we can figure out what's going on
>No more outsourcing to gnome craftsmen, use elvish materials to make elvish goods in elvish lands
>Withdraw from ancient and outdated agreements with the local fey

FROM THIS DAY FORWARD, IT'S GOING TO BE *ONLY* ELFLAND FIRST, ELFLAND FIRST

>rolling coal
I was born and raised in and I've never heard of this shit before now

I think I'll buy a Prius and mount a BAR on it for hunting diesel snipe.

this, and preceding posts

I would expect they talking to be slow, long and flooded with very specific words given the long time scales don't favor speed, yet they live long enough to notice all the subtle variations of things that lead to a huge vocabulary. Like how some culture has a dozen words for snow, because wet snow and dry powder snow each get their own independent word. This wold make talking with them a real pain as their slow speech pattern would sound sleepy or even retarded, yet their massive vocabulary would make translation a pain like trying to talk to a highly specialized scientist in another language. It would likely getting dumbed down to some core vocab to make communication smoother despite less detail and more errors.

Drive wise is a huge toss up. Because if they have reasonably stabilized their food sources with some decent agriculture then they would have a lot of extra resources to invest in anything. So they could spend it developing tech/magic far better then any other. They could even develop it and then never use it because a robot/golam doing everything for you is too boring or something. Or in an completely different take they grow tired and burn it on entertainment, which beings the interesting idea of 200 years of production being spent on sex, drugs and violence just because they had 200 years to spend and felt like it.

You got to have a completely broken drive, or some insanely strict culture rules to keep them in check as time scales like that allow for lots of things to happen. If it be rules then expect some shadow ops/elite death squad to keep the wheel turning on time. If not then you better explain how they haven't got over run by every other group given they practically just sit there waiting to die. One could argue they out grew such issues and now spend it on the arts and more peaceful amusement, as this seems a more common approach, but their are a number of other details that still need to be address.

Is true adventure limited to physical activity, bathing, and sunlight? If so you might be on to something.

>I like to remove any sense of drive or motivation from elves
That's probably one of the worst things you can do to a fantasy race, but maybe creating a race that is lame, easy to unsult, easy to hate and at the mercy of other races is exactly what you are trying to do. Which is also one of the worst things you can do to one of the playable races.

I don't even like tolkien, so I make my own shit up. Thus, you get elves with posh accents, and dwarves with working-class accents.

Making a race you're supposed to like cripplingly lazy is a bad idea

I rather liked Kerillian's accent in Vermintide, though I'm not sure exactly what it was. Sounded Irish or Scottish to me. It fit the "Celtic" or "Gaelic" feel of the wood elves rather well.

>yoooooooooour.....

A mix of Finnish with a very slight Russia slur accent

We can use our hands as maps, faggot.

A swing and a miss

French as fuck

It's welsh.

To get at OP's question though, one of my favorite ideas regarding an elvish accent is to play more with the meter and rhythm of their speech than the phonological components of it. Here I'll admit to shamelessly using Quenya and its roots in Finnish as inspiration; Finnish has, courtesy of the way it uses syllabic stress, a sort of bounciness that lends it an almost singsong-y sound with heavily emphasized vowels. So their actual pronunciation is fairly standard, but the meter of their speech lends it a quality that nonetheless separates it from that of other races.

>
way too many retards saying french. anyone who doesn't say a Scandinavian accent is objectively wrong.

do you know how terrible scandinavian accents sound

All of my elves speak Russian, thus, when they speak Common, they speak with a Russian accent.

Deal with it.

is not like Veeky Forums wouldn``t want to be elves is just that we are too fat too dumb too nigger and too ugle and too smelly and too jewish and too poor and too jealous of elves to be elves.
so we pretend we are dwarves which are some manlet losers that no one like.

I wish I could be an elf tho

Welsh
youtu.be/fHxO0UdpoxM?t=7s

That's gross, but better than my Dutch-accented Japanese for dwarves.

I always imagined Elves having Welsh sounding accents
see

I'd believe this meme if I was cute like an elf