No-humans settings

have you ever tried pulling this off?
I was enforcing a "humans only" policy in all settings for 5 years now, but i want to try breaking the mold and allowing my players something different this time.
I wanted to specificly exclude humans in the setting because no one can be a special snowflake as easily if there is no real standard to differ from.

Seeing those two lovely creatures makes me remember that Comiket 92 is in two weeks

Snowflaking is about player personality.
The race/species is just one vector for characterization among many.
And the snowflake will use any vector available (and sometimes not available) to be extra special.
Excluding humans won't help you in that regard.

That being said no-humans settings are dope.

OP, you are a dumb paranoid faggot.

Non-human races aren't necessarily snowflakes, no matter what memes Veeky Forums keeps spouting.

That you specifically prohibit anything nonhuman just shows how much trust your little paranoit faggot bitch ass puts in your players.

That you have to exclude human race just because you don't want other races in multiracial setting be "snowflakes", shows your lack of functioning imagination to make humans interesting. Also, you don't even know the most common way to make a race NOT a snowflake - actually make it appear in the setting beyond token NPC appearance.

>Non-human races aren't necessarily snowflakes

Unless they're flakessures.

This gave me idea of playing an ice elemental.

Now i just have to find a game for it.

now i want to play an autistic ice elemental.
the true special snowflake

>I wanted to specificly exclude humans in the setting because no one can be a special snowflake as easily if there is no real standard to differ from

Heaven forfend someone try to play a unique or interesting character in a heroic fantasy roleplaying game

Lorwyn was pretty nice.

Well I briefly thought of a setting comprising entirely of futanari monstergirls all capable of crossbreeding with one another and how society may develop based on each race/subspecies's traits and interactions with one another.
It was mostly based on my magical realm though.

i typically dont go far outside of traditional fantasy and neither do any of the people i have ever played with
Elves dwarves and humans are main races and are hard to be snowflake with because so many people know them and want to play them
gnomes halflings and the semi-fantasy races (meaning they dont always get a mention and are not the main ones) are rarely used, and gnomes in halflings in particular i have never seen used in sinister ways and just add to the fun the person plays has
And then you get into shit like "Teiflings" and "Dragonborn"
where the fuck did these come from? why in the hell are they in the main book of 5e i have to many fucking questions
if a player legitly asked me "hey can i play a teifling" my only rebuttle would be "explain to me in detail how you were not destroyed by any/all clerics" and if they had a good one id allow it, but at the first sign of edge they would be gone

>where the fuck did these come from?
From tiefling/dragonborn lands.

I mean, is it THAT hard to imagine that non-human/elf/dwarf races have their own communities or place in the world? In the world in which they are core races, i.e. not a rare occurence?

I get the feeling that Veeky Forums is deathly afraid of anything that is not a bog standard fantasy setting with three human kingdoms, one evil human empire and monocultural dwarves/elves.

Redwall/Mouseguard type campaigns work really well for it. Players pick a rodent or similar creature with stats that reflect it's qualities, Some Animals like large spiders or birds and reptile provide the standard dungeon fodder while larger creatures such as Cats and Owls or large Snakes provide intelligent and dangerous dragon like monsters for them to deal with. Then you got Wolves who are your party wipe monsters.

Having no humans is generally a good idea for homebrew settings with new players. Forces them to actually engage with the setting instead of going all human and treating it like a safari.

like i said i ussualy use the main fantasy races and i also include the side-fantasy races as well
That entire roster is everything in the main book
Except for the dragonborn and teifling
>From teifling/dragonborn lands
You mean the teifling lands of small minorities in cities?
Seriously though you think in any half thought out world, a teifling walks the world/has a community of other teiflings that has not been exterminated by the gods and his/hers clerics?
Cause thats bullshit
They cant stop people from literally making devil deals, but they can sure as hell kill them when they see them
Seriously though if you can give a me a good reason as to why teiflings should be spared by any major god in d&d ill accept it
(but it better not fucking be muh backstory about how i want to repent)

Pulled it off pretty well for a while. Party started off as a Dragon-blooded Kobold, Draconian, Grimlock and we got a couple of tiny dragons as loot that joined the party when a couple new players came in. It was set in a Xorvintaal-centered campaign wherein the Kobold was apprenticed to a Player In The Great Game who got a kick out of a Kobold actually qualifying as a True Dragon by the rites and rules of the game. Said Kobold's people had been enslaved by another PITGG, and that revenge quest is what brought us from hack-and-slash one-shot, to revenge story, to rescuing the Kobold's people and restoring their homeland, to Civilization Building and Kingmakers.

Once the party hit lvl 20 I decided the setting as it was couldn't really handle the party as they were becomming, and the Arbiters Of The Great Game decided that the round was coming to a close and that the winners' circle would be proceeding to the next stage.

So now we're in a sci-fi setting with our formerly high-fantasy party now figuring out how the hell technology and space-faring work with a couple of new/re-rolled PC's joining in to help smooth over the transition and translation.

I haven't been able to DM in a long while since my job has me working a lot of weekends, but I'm looking forward to finishing it when time allows. The Kobold PC's object of revenge made it to the Winner's Circle of their first round as well and got sent to a different arena for round 2, so they've gotta win this one and fight their way through the rest until they find him again.

I'm not sure about 5e tieflings, but wasn't it "My mom had an affair with devil" thing before? Because i'm pretty sure that exterminating people based on their ancestry is not a good thing to do.

Also, i can easily think of several reasons as to why tiefling communities would exist in a fantasy world jus in time it took me to write this post, in a full spectrum of "evil" to "misunderstood". Sounds like you're just shit at imagination, boyo.

>Tieflings ARE making deals with devils. They, in fact have created a whole kingdom using infernal powers, protected by said powers and kingdoms they're in strategic alliance with
>Tieflings are people with devil ancestry. Devils love to literally fuck around, so a sight of tiefling is no more unusual than a half-orc in frontier lands.
>Tieflings are gypsies, never staying in one place for too long, wielding weird ancestral magic and too insignificant on the grand scale to exterminate.
>Tieflings are people who wanderet too close to demonic energies and got irradiated. Now they're weird mutants squatting in wastelands too hostile for other races to inhabit.

Always worth a go anyway

Because their only crime is being born. Teiflings are literally just humans with demon/devil ancestery, and are no more inherantly evil than someone whose grandpa was an orc. Are you the same person that keeps shitposting about how all teiflings should be killed on sight in every setting because it says right there in the book that they didn't necessarily consort with a demon/devil themself at any point?

Ideas for a pic related campaign?

Tieflings in 3rd were "You won the magical lineage lottery and got some cool talents for it but also get one GTA star automatically in most good-aligned civilizations because you look evil even if you're not.

4th ed version was a civilization that got so inundated with fiendish deals and relations that Tiefling just became the norm for their people and the features became a bit more uniform.

A quick glance at the 5thed book beside me seems to leave it open to interpretation; "a pact sealed by your ancestors generations ago." Could be a chance of generations, could be a steady run of the family, could be the home-owner's association got a discount as long as they make a yearly sacrifice in the place your many-greats grandparents lived.

Which one, the elfish looking one, the vrock-demon looking bird thing in the back or the little sea-weed imp at the bottom left?

>you must find the magical chromosome
>the magical chromosome was in you all along

they're all from one setting user.
I'm really disappointed, whether you are under age or not that's no excuse to not know of that great film.

Sorry, I thought you were looking for character-based concepts and tried to sort out which one, but would I be wrong in guessing The Dark Crystal? If I am what's the name and I'll see if I can find it.

>those suggestions
While not bad, i was not fucking suggesting for npc ideas, if you can show me where in the book level 1 teiflings get access to crazy infernal magic ill glady accept they can found a city

>if you can show me where in the book level 1 teiflings get access to crazy infernal magic
>What is Warlock
>What is Sorcerer

Wizard-did-it level options, sacrifice a mostly-human city or even small kingdom to diabolic or demonic or fiendish corruption as part of a deal, getting a great discount on the bulk deal.

Easy PC motive for revenge, or to seek a means of undoing the deal.

yeah unless sombody else has been going around spreading the good word then yeah thats me
but seriously though do you really thing every cleric in the world, from every god
or the fucking druids of the world
would see it that way then i dont know what high magic everything is happy kinda world you run but man it sounds gay
>oh boy i can chuck a single spell at you
or
>oh boy i can chuck 2 spells at you
Is that enough to found a society?

>i want to reverse the deal
I literally said this the worst thing you can make as your backstory to make it "ok"
see the bottom of

>Is that enough to found a society?
Yes. Who says all of them are level 1?

Seriously, man, i hope you're baiting here, because you're getting me genuinely depressed.

see
Was not suggesting npc ideas
my fault i was talking to somebody while making that comment and fucked my own argument up

But onto another point
All teiflings descend from a original deal from the first of their i guess it would be their teifling line
After a deal that curses an entire blood line
Anybody want to give a explanation as to how they survive long enough to have generations of teiflings
Clerics exist and again i dont see how a teifling could exist outside of a remote corner of a world and actually not live a life of "oh shit you got devils blood in you? well time to call the local crusaders"

>playing in settings based on semitic religious concepts
Got it

If they are available on a daily basis minimum? Yes, by quite a measure. Even 3rd edition's Warlocks which were pretty much the bottom of the magical barrel in utility and over-all power could be game-changers in a setting where most NPC' humanoids only have one or two HD. Eldritch Blast for your whole city means literally everyone is armed and dangerous, at all times. Suddenly brigands and barbarians have to consider that raiding the place is going to be a high-risk high cost venture that is going to cut their numbers down unless literally Everything they plan works flawlessly, which is unlikely because they'll have to plan around the basis of an entire list with a wide variety of utilities and dangers potentially available to a 1st lvl warlock.
>Darkness At-Will; suddenly raiders can't see but locals can, and shoot them while blinded.
>Earthen Grasp At-Will; suddenly arms of dirt hold attackers in place while the civies are blasting them.
>Summon Swarm At-Will; swarms of spiders, insects, flies, and the like appear everywhere an begin attacking, engulfing standard humanoids in clouds of distractions, phobias and suffering.
>Swimming the Styx: locals now breath water and have a swim-speed, allowing them to build a dam and flood sections of the city or just build it underwater out of reach of most conventional threats and dangers.

Nevermind the variety of BS a 1st level Sorcerer can handle, proper caster and all that.
>Vigilant Slumber, no one in this city is ever caught sleeping.
>Fist of Stone, entire town is armed, can briefly gain strength to the tune of a heavy load being 100lbs to 230.
>Vanish: entire town can slip invisible for a few moments; not an auto-win in the large scale but makes every encounter a pain in the ass and ensures a number of attackers will be caught off-guard and defenseless or that civies caught out will be able to escape and regroup.

Magic is bullshit and a little goes a long way en mass.

not really
this is all assuming typical d&d world
but i see the side of the arugment you guys are making and i get it
I just tend to assume the gods in d&d are harsher then what you guys might be assuming

>Was not suggesting npc ideas
Lord give me strength, this one is denser than the most.

So. let me explain.

You can have level 1 PC.
And an NPC with level other than one.
Bear with me here, it'll gonna blow your mind.
In one setting. Yes, right, non-human races aren't monolithic clumps of clones. it's a novel idea, but once you get used to it it really enhances your roleplaying.

Like, your tiefling PC could be a level 1 chump from said society, who joined the merry murderhobos because he needs to prove himself to society or because he got a particular set of skills (those are shitty for now, but so are most murderhobos).

>Clerics exist and again i dont see how a teifling could exist outside of a remote corner of a world and actually not live a life of "oh shit you got devils blood in you? well time to call the local crusaders"

Are your humans a monoculture too? Are they all the same lukewarm "kinda medieval europe-ish" blob? Do their countries have any political interest beyond "well, they're vaguely christian"? Because there's a ton of reasons why devil bloodline would exist long enough to establish a kingdom for itself.

>implying a entire city worth of teiflings would exist anywhere and that they would all be warlocks or sorcerers
I dont have any actual numbers to back up how rare it is for asmodeus to answer your pleas or how lucky it is to be born with magic literally flowing in your veins but to think a entire cities worth of teiflings could get it is just a bit crazy in my opinion

>this is all assuming typical d&d world
Look, you seem to have a set-in-the-stone assumption of a "typical D&D world" and it is really, REALLY hurting your GMing, to the point that you're rejecting potential interesting options based on idiotic assumptions of how things SHOULD be (and ignoring the fact that you're the GM; you can change any detail of your setting if you want).

Evil clerics exist too user. It's not as if being faithful to the heavens is an auto-win in most settings of which use Tieflings. The usual given presentation of cosmology is that the Demonic and Diabolical presence in the Great Wheel would have actually overtaken the majority of it were it not for the fact that they were at odds with each other while the CG and LG aspects of celestial and heavenly power are better able to cooperate and work with each other.

Nevermind places like Sigil where you can find just about everything all in one place so no one bats an eye at a Tiefling when there's a Half-Glass-Para-Elemental Bard singing on the corner for tips.

Why play a non-human when you can simply transcend humanity?

>assuming i said i run typical d&d world games 100% of the time
Im not im basing my aurgment on typical fucking d&d worlds jesus christ man
if your world has many high power gods with many fucking clerics and major churches in many spots in the world why is a bunch of people with devils blood in their viens roaming around
If its the reason that all those major religions happen to be nice and sweet and none of them are harsh or anything like that fine cool
i am all for the "its magic or they got lucky" explnation that that other guy (or you) had for the whole founding a society
I was just assuming in a world were base d&d shit is happening i dont see reasonably how a teifling anything would be founded with a major god/cleric standing
But like i said earlier i see the good ideas that can be done with letting teiflings exist i just dont want players playing them (maybe this was a roundabout way of masking the fact that i actually dont like people who play teilfings cause they tend to be edgy as fuck)

>Implying you need Aussy's direct attention.

If you are small-time you get small-time responses. Warlocks are not specific as to which kind of entity you're getting your power from, and it's an arcane investiture that doesn't have a specific process other than the vague flavor text in the class description.

You get one mage or cleric that can pull off Lesser Planar Ally and you're in business as long as you've got something the fiend you call on wants.

More so
">oh boy i can chuck 2 spells at you
Is that enough to found a society?"

It is presumed that mass deal has happened and allowed the society that formed around it survived likely in no small part because of it, with several examples provided that would tip the scales of a number of conflicts, risks, or dangers in the favor of the fiend-pacted society.

transcend
>be or go beyond the range or limits of (something abstract, typically a conceptual field or division).
If you go beyond the limits of humanity as a concept, aren't you by definition non-human at that point?

ok off of the teifling thing i do have a actual question
Do the gods really cooperate?
i thought they mostly agreed with other ones of alignments of like 1-2 steps and then after that it was just kinda disgust as it got further away
a question to go along with this
If a dwarf necromancer was playing a active role in reuniting and saving the dwarven people while raising undead (not dwarves mind you mainly dwarven enemies) , assume this a game where the dwarven people are heavily crippled and most if not all worship moradin
Hes a god of dwarves and dwarven craft right? so would he give a shit about undead being raised if it was a very helpful contributor in fight to save the dwarves?

>Don't like players who roll tieflings because they're edgy as fuck.

Now THIS, I can understand. It's not uniform, but I've seen the player type you're describing and I get the problems they can cause or even the bothersome concepts they can bring to the table that they'll drag in regardless of the party or DM's intentions of the game.

>Im not im basing my aurgment on typical fucking d&d worlds jesus christ man
Okay, okay. Let's take the most archetypical D&D world, the forgotten realms.

Boy, would you look at that. We have gods who aren't "abrahamic god in funny hat", we have an entire country of evil wizards (and not just one!), we have the whole underdark

And now let's go to D&D wiki and read the "Homelands" section of their racial description. Wow, that's sure a lot of clerical extermination waiting to happen.

Look, having biases is okay. I, for one, dislike half-bakedly stereotypical dwarves. But don't try to mask your bias, dishonesty is just gonna hurt you and your GMing.

man me and you can never be friends
I love stereotypical dwarves
Certianly not as a main npc or pc's but klingon-esque
Dwarves who would rather die then show dishonor and fight for moradin and the great dwarven cities to the last breath are fun
i do think its always a fun idea to build off of though for pc's

Default-depends-on-the-setting-blurb.

As I understand it, there are a number of deities and entities of high-power and cosmic influence who cooperate or have deals, history, even drama that you'd expect from a pantheon. It's not just the Deities themselves who cooperate though; a Cleric of Ilmater (Suffering and Martyrdom in good causes) and a Bard who whorships Sune (Beauty, Love IIRC) are much less likely to come to blows or conflict than clerics of Cyric (Literal Murdergod) and Rallaster (Torture, suffering, agony for its own sake) who and whose followers will see each other's agendas as contrary "They can't suffer enough if you kill them you dumb fuck" "I don't want them suffering I want them to shut the hell up".

Add the mortal options for cooperation to the likelihood of actual cooperation; Chaav and Lastai being divine siblings that just want to have a fun time and teach others how to do so safely without harm or malice are probably never going to turn on each other unless someone Really works at breaking their bonds and loyalties.

Undead and raising them is usually considered evil because it's part of the spell description but there's examples and methods of getting around that, either by treating necromancy as neutral same as the rest of the magical schools, or by finding variations on undead that don't use or require the same thing, such as Deathless entities or Resurection/Reincarnation specializations.

On a personal note, I play a cleric of The Forgelord, a dwarven deity in the setting of artifice, knowledge, craftsmanship and personal efforts. He got along just fine with a necromancer while that player was still in the party because they were mostly keeping to animal corpses rather than people, and at the end of the day they were crafting automatons of magic the same as he made guns for himself and the party.
(TBC)

I dislike when a dwarf is just a honorable beard with axe attached somewhere. It's kinda the same as edgy tiefling, if you think about it - a meme character with no substance beyond a stereotype.

I've played a tiefling once so far, and I rolled thay randomly, she's an inquisitor of serenrea, and frankly the sanest character in the party, (not that I resent the players for that, it's just their character) then again I didn't go for edgy, I went for fun

Moradin likes the Dwarfs, obviously. He might be willing to take in a renegade like your dwarf necromancer both for being one of his chosen And for being an active agent in protecting his people.

Some of his followers might decide that they don't like the renegade's methods, and might even shun or try to punish his decisions if Moradin isn't clear enough in allowing or showing approval of the renegade's methods.

((Debating walls with DM, sorry for delayed response.))

There's a campaign setting called Ghostwalk which has a dwarf-exclusive cleric order which serve the deity responsible for Protecting and Safeguarding the dead. A necromancer as a radical element of that faith could be calling on ancestral spirits and long-sleeping warriors of the ages to animate the bodies of fallen foes to once again stand in defense of their home and defiance of their foes.

Closest I've gotten was having a setting where humans existed but were such a minor part of the universe that nobody could play them.

Most of my players in that campaign had never played a TTRPG before and we were a bunch of sheltered kids so internet corruption was minimal. It's about the players, not the setting. We had a fun time murderhoboing around as anthropomorphic animals in space, and the next year I went to college and found out what furries are.

There's nothing to stop Tieflings being good clerics or having good alignments, so why would they exterminate them?

>I just tend to assume the gods in d&d are harsher then what you guys might be assuming
Then the gods should just kill all Evil beings by themselves right away. Enjoy your problem of evil.

>I love stereotypical dwarves
>writes like an dumbass
What a surprise.

>characters who won Call of Cthulhu

>'No Humans' setting.
>Posts pic from a manga all about exploring the limits of humanity.

>We're playing a noire detective thriller game set in the 1920s.
>K. i wanna be the catgirl XD

Joke's on you, i already ran a game like that.

>we wuz kangfishers n sheeeiiiit

>And then you get into shit like "Teiflings" and "Dragonborn"
>where the fuck did these come from?

Planescape, a setting where Tieflings make sense. And Races of the Dragon, a dumb 3.5e dragon supplement where they were even specialer snowflakes. Respectively.

i like nanachi and regposting, okay?

I do not see a problem.

>tfw

When do we get to Bonedaddy and Byrgenwerth in the anime

All furry settings are much like all humans settings in actual operation.

>that pic
Please don't tell me you think those are non-humans. Elves, dwarves, orcs etc are humans. If you include them it's not a no-human setting.

They are explicitly stated to not be human and posess nonhuman traits