Forgotten creature types edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

mtg.gamepedia.com/Creature_type
mtg.gamepedia.com/Token#Token_specific_types
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This needs fine-tuning. Rate and hate.

Probably overcosted.

On the topic of forgotten creature types, are there any more obscure animal creature types people enjoy or know of? Stuff like Elk that crops up rarely on one-off cards in a set.

Sable, Starfish, Nautilus.

There's a comprehensive list of creature types here
mtg.gamepedia.com/Creature_type
So just click on whatever you've never heard of before.

You can also check this out
mtg.gamepedia.com/Token#Token_specific_types
For rare types that only show up on tokens (eg. Citizen, Deserter, Serf).

I think the main cost is fine. I doubt you could push it much lower, as it's effectively a 6/7 with lifelink for 7 that automatically kills anything with 1 toughness.

The activated ability also feels rather strong on top of that, especially being so easily repeatable for only 3 mana. The life cost is less of a concern when you get 5 back when he swings.

Neat, Nameless Race throwback. Seems fine.

Pic related is EDH fodder because Ishkanah a shit

Night of Souls betrayal is 5 mana for the same effect, and that's two mana more for a 5/6 with lifelink, it's fine because you can't stack multiples of him I'd say.

That ability is to strong though, at least if it's not hitting your creatures as well. Maybe "each other creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn."?

That cards feels very black, able to screw up both sides game plan, I'm sure people would have fun making it work against things like merfolk nerds and people who want spider tribal

Because interaction is for suckers. Also
>white instead of red

Pic related is boring. Cast spiders to win.

Increased life cost for the ability.
My bad, I intended the ability to be until end of turn.

There's 2 R/G spiders and 2 W/G, all other are mono green or golgari, so it was a toss up between the two (though needlepeak spider breaks that tie but fuck Jund).

The original was "Spiders you control get +0/+X for each web counter among permanents you control" but that felt boring, though maybe a mountain sized spider taking over the world is more exiting in flavor than in mechanics.

Honestly seeing it like that makes me think it should only cost life, I mean 6 mana and ten life for -2/-2 to each creature your opponent controls (-3/-3 I guess due to his effect) doesn't sound to appealing. I don't mean to give conflicting opinions but that effect feels unusable outside of EDH (though I bet it would be a lot of fun to build a Commander deck around him with all the drain effects available).

There are also a few Green spiders that care about Red, like Ember Weaver and Steam Spitter.

reposting. not my card

I only looked at casting costs when searching Gatherer, but I don't think that's enough of a dip into the color pie to warrant her being jund over abzan but no reason I can't make both and see which fits better.

I really like that keyword but it feels overcosted in that example. Feels like there would be a lot of value to it if done right like Eternalize.

I am a fan of wombats

>forgotten creature types
Does this count?

This is incredibly dumb. Preventing 4 damage each turn means that players won't attack until they find removal.

And since somebody asked for the art last thred

I'd tip my fedora to that keyword creator, usually they're all bad but I think it's pretty neat. No idea how to balance the costs to it though

it's a nice common, nice option in a sac deck

It happens every so often here. An user made embalm before embalm, another user made a better crew before crew.

If a source would deal damage to an artifact creature you control, prevent 1 of that damage.

So Filter is basically Emerge without the sacrifice? Eh. Blackscale seems too good, honestly. Scavenge cost is too low. Ambushscale... it's a close call. Very pushed.

Noted on Blackscale, I think I altered his power without remembering to adjust the mana cost on scavenge.

As for the Ambushscale, I was rather worried it would be too pushed actually. I posted an test version before and got very conflicting opinions. Tried making it a 1/1 that couldn't attack or block alone, though perhaps I went too far in the other direction?

Psylocke. Basic flavor is that she uses mutant powers to create a sort of psychic blade. So here, the hand is used to represent psychic power and minds. The greater your mind, the more damage she deals, not just physically, but also to your opponent's mind. Hoping the effect is close enough to the standard Red discard-draw stuff. If not, I can change it. Hmm, or maybe it should be the other way around? They draw a bunch of cards then discard that many at random? Or should I just make it draw you cards?

Eh, wouldn't put at common.

Should have "you may" on it. Seems interesting otherwise.

That seems awkwardly phrased when giving its abilities to someone else. Whoever you use it on would have "at the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Blackfire Runner"

Ambushscale is such a clunky name. Maybe something like Rushscale or Ambuscade?

Filter reminds me of Ninjutsu. I guess this is an OK way to go about revamping it.

>Ambushscale
Still have no idea where you're going with this. Frankly, I think you should either focus on making it an undercosted creature with a downside, or a draw effect attached to a body.

MTG's rules for giving/copying abilities would cause "Blackfire Runner" to be replaced by the name of whatever creature got the ability.

I love it. Great reference; cool design. I do like keeping it mandatory, though. How would this work in Commander, though? You'd have to houserule a sideboard/wishboard, right? That seems extremely messy.

Huh, really? I never realized that. It still seems rather strange for that to happen imo, but I guess there's no way to avoid that

>201.4b If an ability of an object refers to that object by name, and an object with a different name gains that ability, each instance of the first name in the gained ability that refers to the first object by name should be treated as the second name.
>Example: Quicksilver Elemental says, in part, “{U}: Quicksilver Elemental gains all activated abilities of target creature until end of turn.” If it gains an ability that says “{G}: Regenerate Cudgel Troll,” activating that ability will regenerate Quicksilver Elemental, not the Cudgel Troll it gained the ability from.

Yeah, otherwise copying abilities would be largely useless.

I posted this last thread but never got an answer; Using the hi res modern template, I get a weird white gap like in pic related. Is this a known issue, and is there a fix?

Essentially, my idea was to allow them to combo together. The red one has an etb effect that lets you discard unwanted cards and get new ones. The black one has an effect that works if you put it into the graveyard. The blue one can use the Fliter effect to return the red one to the hand to make use of its etb effect again.

The reason the red one has all these downsides and is cheap is that it's really the first one you'd want to be casting if you were doing this. If it had a high cmc to have flying and a looting effect, then why not just cast the black one normally, since it's a better flyer? And why return something so expensive to your hand for the blue if you could bounce something much cheaper that might still have an etb effect?

tl;dr the focus is intended to be on it being a cheap draw effect. Flying is because that's the defining feature of drakes, and the drawback is because red doesn't really get cheap flyers without hefty downsides.

This keyword really activates the almonds

I feel like that tap ability should either have a limited number of uses, or a mana cost alongside the tap. Even at that CMC, it seems a bit too strong

Yeah, the keyword is nice but it's easy to make things pushed it seems. I'm having trouble deciding how expensive the Remembrance cost should be, since it's supposed to just be a one of boost from the graveyard providing value, but since yo onlygetit once I don't know if should cost as much as the card

If the Grovecaller ability were to cost GW to activate, that would be seven mana to give a creature vigilance and a rampant growth from the graveyard. That seems not over powered but still useful

Did you make Remembrance?
>this creature
Should say "~" I believe

It definitely depends on the strength of the ability, but I can see the Remembrance cost being 1 greater than the card's converted mana cost.

>the focus is intended to be on it being a cheap draw effect. Flying is because that's the defining feature of drakes
Then... don't make it a Drake? That seems to be causing all the problems.

Barbed Shocker has basically the same trigger, so it should be fine in red.

No I didn't make Remembrance, I'd never seen it until I just think it's great and already expect to see a slightly changed version released by Wizards soon enough.

>This creature
Yeah you're right, an user above cleared that up, just wanted to be sure I didn't word it wrong, "Linebreaker Batallion gets +2/+0 until end of turn" changes to whatever creature name is targeted with the effect.

That sounds like a good idea that could be scaled easily depending on power level. One less for the common level things and 1-3 more for powerful effects.

>When ~ dies, you draw two cards and you lose 2 life.

Yeah I had it loaded up before I read how to properly word it and forgot to edit it, they've been changed now

>pic
Might as well repost this then.

Eh, Favorable Winds is 1U and Glorious Anthem is 1WW, so I feel like this is in kind of an odd place. Not entirely sure what to do with it though, sorry.

That card seems like a lot of fun and something that will get jammed into the next Simic Commander precon, plus the flavor is pretty great

I made a Soul Ransom on a stick. How can I improve and shorten the wording?

Overlord, the video games. The games are basically evil Pikmin, all the characters command these little minion-gremlin things. Anyway, the gimmick to this one is he can make his minions explode. Obviously Ib Halfheart has a similar idea, but I wanted to do something a bit different.

Cool, thanks.

>card
I'd change it to creatures you control. It'd be bad if it died blocking. Anyway, seems interesting, but doesn't feel common to me.

Man, I had no idea people liked Remembrance so much. I guess it's nice to have finally designed something people will use and enjoy. Most of these seem pretty okay, but I feel like maybe the Insuramancer is a bit overcosted on the Remembrance. Also Martyr should be uncommon probably, and I agree that it needs a clause to prevent you from buffing your opponent's stuff.

I should probably do more with it myself, so I got the idea to make a creature that is basically a walking Mask of Memory. Hopefully it's alright.

I feel like is a bit too powerful in the body; maybe 3/3? Other than that, seems alright. I'm just thinking of Rakka Mar being a 2/2 and having to tap to make here tokens.

>You control creatures with ransom counters on them.
3UB: Put a ransom counter on target creature.
Discard two cards, ~'s owner draws two cards: Remove all ransom counters from target creature.

What popped into my head for this. Making the draw a cost is a bit weird I'll admit but it should streamline the card a bit I hope.

This is pretty badass. It feels like it might be able to be a touch cheaper on the casting cost though. Also, since Ben knew what creatures he could become most of the time, you could potentially change it to revealing a card from your hand too. Dunno how the costs would change with that though.

You should feel bad if you're blocking with him, he's supposed to die attacking and boost all your creatures with his sacrifice. Maybe "distribute up to two +1/+1 counters" or does that not seem R/G?

I'm trying to come up with a common level effect for this keyword but it's just so useful

>Card
Seems pretty good if maybe undercosted for much damage you can get through very quickly. I would for sure make an EDH deck with him though, Into the Web of War, multiple combat steps, good stuff.

I think it's pretty great man. It's useful, flexible, fits into all colors and doesn't take up a lot of room on the card. I'll disclose I didn't come up with it when I post them though

>Card
I think a decent effect can be given to a rare with a good cost, no evasion balances out the cheap Remembrance cost I'd say. Maybe the key to these cards is decent effect on bad creatures since you get the effects twice.

This is a poor use of the mechanic, sine it's never going to die.

You're right, maybe UU for no hexproof and Remembrance cost of 1UU so it's just a scry?

I like the idea of additional bonuses depending on which creature is exploited. That's solid design space that wasn't really explored with the mechanic.

>Remembrance
Thanks man. I don't mind people using it; I recall one user was looking to do something similar for a set he was working on and I offered it to him to use. If I really worried too much about credit I'd use a set symbol, though maybe I do kinda regret not doing it now because of this, heh. Nah, not really.
>Rippleseer
A more powerful Sigiled Starfish? Hm. I agree with that since it will likely never die, then the Remembrance is a bit wasted. It makes for okay discard fodder, but that's about it at the moment. I think making it a Sigiled Starfish with Remembrance is maybe the best bet?

This feels over the top to me. You're getting a 4/4 on-curve, and the sac can be something as simple as a 1/1 flier that happened to get through, or a Tormented Soul, for example. I'm fine with the discard, but maybe 2 cards, then two cards at random instead if the exploited creature attacked? Maybe I'm being too conservative.

Madness likes this. Madness likes this lots. Also, how's things, Timeanon? Seems late for you to be posting, though I guess it's the weekend.

Completely unrelated to custom cards but do you have that art on hand?

Oh, forgot to mention; Dilettante should probably be rare.

I think this clears up issues with multiple copies of ~ on the battlefield, and I *think* the ransomed creatures return under their owners' control once the ransom's paid. Not sure if it gets around homeward path or not.

Yeah, it's nearly 2:30am here, but my sleep schedule's gone all to hell. Things are good, and will hopefully be a lot smoother after some legal proceedings are finished up. School starts on Monday as well, so I'm looking forward to that. Also, I'm surprised I was recognized posting from this old symbol.
>Covert Killer
That's really solid from both mechanical and flavor perspectives. I'm a fan.
Here you go.
Can do.
I think you need to specify that the counter is "on it" at the end of that first ability.

>legal proceedings
Well that's never good, unless you're about to get a fat settlement from corporate negligence or something. I wouldn't presume to pry though.
>school
Nice, though I doubt we'll see you much after that.
>symbol
Eh, I remember a lot of symbols. I'm a bit of an oldfag.
>Killer
Thanks. People were doing pretty awesome stuff with Remembrance in an offensive capacity a bit ago, yourself included, and I thought a black Ambush Viper with it might be neat, since you can use it politically too.
>Dilettante
I suggested rare just so you limit the likelihood of people getting multiples of them in draft, but they're okay in constructed so the rarity wouldn't matter anyway.

I think it works, slight wording issues aside. I think the way it'd interact with Homeward Path is that Path's controller would gain control of his creatures after he activates it, but then Eliza's controller would get them right back if they had a counter on them. I could be wrong though.

>Corporate negligence
Nothing quite so grand. I'm getting a divorce. The process is unpleasant, and things will be much smoother once it's over. I'm looking forward to putting it behind me.
>though I doubt we'll see you much after that.
At the very least I'll be lurking, and I'll post when I can.
>I'm a bit of an oldfag.
I'm always glad to run into people who've stuck around these threads.
>Black Ambush Viper
I agree, the political aspect is fun precisely because it isn't a surprise the second time around. Remembrance has a lot of fun mechanical potential.

Don't worry I won't steal Remembrance, I wouldn't want anonymous strangers on a Cambodian fighting fish husbandry forum to think less of me. If I'm posting those particular custom cards I'll say the keyword isn't mine

me gusta

The sarcasm is real. But really, I'm not worried about it man. I'd be using a set symbol if I cared about being recognized and "owning" everything I made. I think my cards and stuff should stand on their own merits, and we should just do this shit for fun in any case. I was just being facetious. No harm no foul, user.

I'm sorry to hear that man. It's unreal how many people I know or are acquainted with who have been put through this in the last several years. I hope you put it behind you quickly and as painlessly as possible.
>Reflexes
Gustcloaking isn't that "expensive" of an ability, so I don't think this needs to be so spendy. Maybe add Totem Armor if you want it to be 2W?

Oh shit, I just noticed it's "blocks or becomes blocked"; in that case, yeah, it's fine as-is, ignore my previous feedback. That'll teach me to read and not skim.

It's more than gustcloak. You can put it on an opponent's creature to prevent them from blocking, and it gives you a creature that chump blocks forever.

Yeah, caught that here . I read faster than I processed and read it as Gustcloaking at first glance. My fault.

Well on the off chance Wizards steals it like they did Embalm we'll always know the truth

Rememberance is a great ability but I dont think this is the design for it. Card is cool in its own right, but the Flash doesnt matter for remembrance which feels weird to me. Just without Remebrance though its a sweet design. I know its just ambush viper but I like colorshifted cards.

Flash on the creature mimics the instant speed of remembrance. There's mechanical symmetry there.

Last revision until I find out that homeward path actually does break this.

Not exactly. The flash in hand is an unknown. I get what the point was but its not quit the same, and you can tell the difference isnt an intentional part of the design, liie the downside guys.

He mentioned the political impact of the difference earlier in the thread. Particularly in multiplayer situations, the card has fun political value.

Also, thisbis my opinion, but I think the cleanest and best execution of this mechanic is that all the abilities matter when you remember the creature. It doesnt technically have to rules wise, but its just about the simplest way to do it, and the design space seems pretty large so I don't think it's necessary either.

I pondered whether to put Flash on it or not for a little while, truth be told. Ultimately I liked the idea of a surprise blocker, then being able to use Remembrance for the obvious, but also in multiplayer for political means, like giving a creature you don't own Deathtouch so it can get rid of something you want gone. It felt odd to have the instant ability to do that but not have the Flash, so I went with it.

I agree that trying to make every other ability matter when considering Remembrance is the best way to go, but I had hoped that the mechanical callback would be enough to excuse it. Honestly, I'd only include it in a set if black needed instant speed removal value, and not "just because"; it's that kind of card, pretty much. I agree that it could be just as cool without Flash, but I made the call and stuck it on there.

I didnt think of that, but lets be real, I dont think this card is for people who play multiplayer. For example, I don't think commander players are interested in an ambush viper in black even with a rattlesnake attached to it. So while it technically has that function, I don't think its worth its weight.

Unless you're putting flash on every creature with remembrance, I don't think the mechanical symmetry matters.

>but I had hoped that the mechanical callback would be enough to excuse it
You are muddying design to make it more valuable. Sure it's a better card with flash, but not a very elegant one.

Well, that makes me sad. Honestly don't know what to do with it now. I guess I'll sleep on it.

I deel bad this didnt get a reply so here. I dont like these stupid chaos whenever someone breathes your hand is gone and you got a new one cards. But I like what the card aas a whole invokes ignoring the rules. It looks like a cool card. I wish it were a god instead but I get what you were going for. But either way envisioning this cycle feels cool. I want to see the world this belongs to.

Just remove flash, That's all you need to do.