40k Drop Pods

I used to play an all deep strike army in 7th. Now I don't think marines can do that anymore. When putting units in reserves, does a drop pod and it's cargo count as two separate units? If so, does that mean that I have to field two units on the board to allow the pod and it's squad to be in reserve? Also do reserves come in automatically?

they do count as two units, at least if i remember reading the rules correctly. They do come in automatically though, whenever you want and without scattering

Thank you.

Are drop pods worth their points?

Are their any viable steel rain tactics?

you could probably deploy half your army in METAL BOXES and the other half in STEEL RAIN

I think they made the new rule specifically to get rid of deep strike only armies to make people mix up their tactics a bit

sorry friend

Deploy the other half as long range heavy support.

>Are drop pods worth their points?
No.
>Are their any viable steel rain tactics?
No

>ran a dreadnought in a drop pod pretty much every game in 7th
>mfw dreadnought can't ride in drop pods 8th edition
Feels bad, man.

Conversely, do transports count as an individual unit for deployment purposes. I want to deep strike my heavies, HQ's, and dreadknights.

FEELS BAD MAN

>have had an interest in drop pods since before they had models
>could never justify branching into space marinos as a child
>then 40k starts sucking
>8th comes out
>not legally allowed to steel rain properly

I traced out circles on cardboard using large blast templates in 4th for my drop pods. When the plastic ones came out in 5th, I bought 7. I had so much fun using them back in the day.

tell me about it

Drop pods are way more thematic for marines. I think a lot of people loved the drop podding army. They killed it though, you can no longer deploy within 9 inches from reserve regardless if you have a drop pod or not. So drop pods are essentially useless. You can also no longer drop in and flame a unit so there goes my 4 man flamer command squad and ironclad with two heavy flamers and you can't even take dreads in pods anymore so I'm forced to footslog them across the board.

So if I want to use flamers I'm forced to deepstrike, wait a turn and then move forward to flame.

Also the removal of templates has made flamers much more shit against hordes. I used to be able to get about 7 hits on a unit with my flamer before. Now sometimes it's 1. I fondly remember a game where my opponent clumped his termagant blob together and I roasted the whole units in one turn.

8th is fun but it seems like such a casual game now. I only play my friends because they want games. I still prefer 7th

>I still prefer 7th
Of all the archaic editions you could chose the most fucked. Why?

Not him, but I think 7th was a lot more structured and "theres rules for this stupidly niche scenario"

Sometime's I like stuff like that.

8th is DnD 5e and 7th is Shadowrun 4e with all splatbooks.

>I think 7th was a lot more structured

What do you mean by this?.

7th is 3.5 with all splatbooks. The game was balanced like shit, dozens of USRs, 'fuck you' maneuvers like assault moves, D weapons out the ass, ridiculous army wides, and utterly insane formations. Oh yeah and random everything.

It was a complete clusterfuck. There isn't a single edition where you could cheese harder.

I don't even hate the concept of formations. Its supposed to make taking fluffy unit combinations more viable and synergize better.

Instead we got Riptide Wings and Skyhammer.

I believe forge world has a dreadnought drop pod.

I think there is a forgeworld drop pod that's dreadnought exclusive. I think any sane person would let you proxy your regular pod.

Can you fit a librarian/sorcerer in with the squad that's dropping?

>They killed it though, you can no longer deploy within 9 inches from reserve regardless if you have a drop pod or not.

Well, you can also now charge from drop pods/appearing out of nowhere and you don't scatter.

Expect 40k 3.5 still had more armies and more options. 7th is the worst of 3.x without the advantages.

>Expect 40k 3.5 still had more armies and more options
I was talking DnD 3.5

40k doesn't have splatbooks

They don't make it any more. Haven't for a long while.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Miranda Irene the Cheap? I thought not. It's not a story the shills would tell you. It's a Chinese legend. Miranda Irene was a Chinese recaster, so powerful and so wise he could use the resin to to create miniatures... He had such a knowledge of the resin that he could even keep the models he cared about from going out of production, with even higher quality than Forgeworld. Recasting is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice reported his business to GW's Chinese goons. It's ironic he could his models from death, but not himself.

Do the supplements like TL and KDK count?

Splatbooks are for RPGs.
No GW, 40k is not an RPG

All drop pod armies being killed off is one of the best things to happen to the game.

They should have been extremely restricted, much like Elysians are.

You want meme armies? Sure, but you can't take any of the cheesy shit people cram into pods/make a generic army and replace all Rhinos with pods.

You'll see a whole lot less pod armies if all you can take are breachers and foot assault marines and shit.

>Run Alpha legion
>Cultist cannon fodder with big K banner
>Bikes with beacons
>Drop in a dread with support squad and mop up
I know dem feels.
Feels bad man.

Armageddon, Chapter Approved, etc.

What I was saying was that 40k 3.5 had more of the advantages of 3.5 DnD (loadsa stuff) with less of the bad (insane imbalance). So 7th 40k only matches 3.5 dnd in the worst ways.

>templates
I remember when I fried a whole squad of plague bearers that were just summoned with my executioner leman russ. It was beautiful, all three shot hit. I got out my paint and put on a kill skull right then and there.

ehhh m8 codex's and stuff like Armageddon and city fight are basically splat books. The whole name is from the *need main rulebook to play. Get it? cus it looks like you splat a bug * clever I know.

Is MI actually down?

Not saying I like 7th the most just that I prefer it to 8th. My favourite edition was 5th but that's probably just because that's when I actually played.

He's probably fine. Some niggas on yoyhammer said they couldn't get in contact with them, but recasters go ghost all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Then again it IS China.

>bike doesn't catch fire the moment the car touches it
>china
Bullshit I say, that's probably Laos.

even if dreads could still use them ~100 pts is way too much for a single use disposable unit.

they should have made them 35-50 pts and just made them super easy to kill. like t5 3w 4+.