Board Game General /bgg/ - Someone make me a new fucking /bgg/ image Edition

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Image is sure to trigger, but what isn't triggering these days? What is your most unobjectionable game? What makes your game group so comfy and drama free? We can't all just be trying to stab each other at the table non-stop like STEEV, can we?

Other urls found in this thread:

chessex.com/Dice/poundofdice.htm
xkcd.com/1053/
wuerfel-stube.de/55mm-translucent-blue-D20-Count-down
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ive heard Archipelago is good, anyone on /bgg/ tried it?

Very polarizing, but has some cool things; fully open trading where you can negotiate for ANYTHING is awesome. Definitely one to playtest before buying though, because some people just absolutely hate it

It is one of my favourite games. If you like haggling, profiteering and arguing over exploitation it's good, and if you like discussing loyalties (one player might be the separatist) it's great. It also has a ton of replayability in that the various evolution cards change each game considerably

Consider looking into the War and Peace expansion, it adds a bunch of cards that mess with other players directly, if you're into that sort of thing.

Bear in mind that it is also one of those games that change considerably depending on the people who play it. I've heard that for some people the separatist always wins, while for my group that has never been a problem

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've only been able to work a couple hours here and there. I think I've finished up all four of the hunters and one of the agents (minus the bases and matte finish). Only three more agents to go!

So what is the point of this thread, this is fucking Veeky Forums

I finished the first/tutorial scenario of Mage Knight. Extremely fun game, hardly touched a lot of the stuff since I wanted to find the city and not lose.

The fact that my game went so differently than the videos I watched to prepare for this has me very excited to keep going forward with this.

>what's the point of a general thread about board games, on a board that discusses traditional table/board games?
We talk about all things board/card game related, our OPs tend to have topic starters because it got boring asking "whatcha playing/ordering/kickstarting" in every thread. If you've never been in /bgg/ stick around a while, we're a comfy place to hang out. Ask our tripfags about 404: Law Not Found, or how to stab your brother in law without being caught at it.

Or you're just poo flinging and that took even fewer posts than usual.

What are you talking about?

Would you rather have 20 topics of Veeky Forums just be about random board games no one but a select few care about, or 1 thread where we collectively talk about 20 different board games?

Is that a Granblue board game? Those figures are cute~

The only way for boardgames to survive in the torrent of w40k and RP games is huddling together. Hell, even then they sometimes die before they hit bump limit.

The point is to keep the miniature wargamers and roleplayers and mtgfags that make up 95% of this board out.

I got Vast recently, and I'm really digging the completely asymmetrical gameplay. Are there other games where very player is basically playing a different game?

Aw can I be both roleplayer and board gamer?

No wargamers or mtgfags tho, I agree with keeping those cretins out.

Also furries

If I ever play Rhine: River Trade imma make one schmuck run all the boats, planes and trains while the rest of us play but that's a whole other thing than what you're asking.

The only other thing I can think of is.. oh, this obscure thing you probably haven't heard of. Pic related.

Yeah but if the cave wins in DnD then you have 4 knights that get pissed so that's not really a good answer.

Cry Havoc maybe? That's just different victory conditions more than actually completely different games though.

the cave's game win is not to accidentially win tho.

honestly it sucks to be the cave.

Chaos in the Old World, but Tzeentch and Slaanesh play rather similarly. Replace one with the rats form the expac and you have 4 very different factions.
Cosmic Encounter, if each player gets different enough races. That's a bit of a crapshoot tho.

A couple of threads ago we were taking about Roll for the Galaxy dice and someone said they were crap. I said they weren't and now I have a real example: One Deck Dungeon

My god these dice are absolute SHIT. They are each full of defects, they're light as feathers and worst they have so much rounding that touching them just sends them skittering. Half the challenge of the damn game is playing memory with your entire roll so when you bump a random die you can reconstruct your roll.

I have to agree about the quality issues on One Deck Dungeon's dice, but I think the weight issue is partially because they're smaller than usual dice. I didn't have too much of a problem with knocking them around by accident although I can see it happening if playing on a small area.

Dice aside, how is One Deck Dungeon

Welcome to Asmadi production quality; it's really sad because they've had some good games. Fealty is one of the better abstracts from ~5 years back, but you'd never know it because it got 0 press; the reason is it looks like a PnP game that someone laminated and then got cannibalized a set of tiddlywinks to upgrade it.

If you can grab Red7 and Flowerfall (which seems to be OOP) do it though, they don't fuck up cards too bad and both games are lots of fun.

I have no idea what the other user was talking about when it comes to the quality of the Dice in Roll for the Galaxy. The ones with my copy are just fine. Perhaps they were complaining that it used dice as a mechanic at all?

As for the dice in your pic - yeah, those are shitty. Fortunately there are a lot of easily available sets of D6. Your pics are giving me flash backs to the 80's when they used cheap-ass low impact plastic to make polyhedral dice. Pic very related. I can't find my green D20 - it's so round it's probably still rolling somewhere. The purple D20 is bad enough that if you even glance in its general direction it starts rolling again.

>it's so round it's probably still rolling somewhere
Kek

The difference between that old green D20 and a D100? The D100 stops rolling eventually...

I have small d6 that are great, namely the chessex that come like 36 to a box. It's a cheap plastic in one deck, which is light which doesn't help.

Underwhelming?

I feel about it about like I do about boss monster. I mean I'll sit down to boss monster but I wouldn't buy it.

In 1DD you roll well and slaughter some monsters, you roll shit and nothing can help you. In a mixed roll later when you have more options you spend your time minimizing negatives, but the difficulty is artificial (in dungeon level 1 you have to cover one additional die, in lvl 2 that one plus two more) so it just winds up eating dice. It's not a very intellectual game in any case, you either have enough rolls or you don't. Pushing the numbers around is about it.

There are enough special effects, spells, unique dungeon features (hydra lv2/3 is sticky so each turn costs you 3 time instead of 2) that it SEEMS like it should stay interesting but it doesn't.

The time burn thing is interesting and again it seems like it should keep things fresh- basically you just see part of the deck each level. However I've been through two games, so six times through the deck and already I'm like "oh which one of the two slimes is this". It's stale already. I'm quite surprised because on the face it seems like that shouldn't be the case.

I guess that's my biggest problem the fact it already seems stale. I suppose I could have just been really "lucky" and hit mostly the same cards all six floors but I doubt it. I do also discard time face down because I don't want to know what I'm not seeing- e.g. if the goblins have been dealt past.

I like fiddly dice and I like the theme. The art, cards, descriptions are great. I just am already wishing I had 4 more decks to swap, or 36 mini decks to combine (6 mini decks into one play deck?) or something to keep it fresh.

>d20 with marker
>you're doing it wrong

Tell me more about those sexy dice in the image.

no gateway dice for you. let's go straight to the hard stuff

chessex.com/Dice/poundofdice.htm

>not knowing about Chessex
I dunno whether to berate you or feel sad. Whatever you do don't fall in love with any particular color from their Gemini line, those things go OOP and discontinued regularly

Ugh, mixed dice are so horrid. Pick a color wheel and stick to it

> Assuming it's marker when it's not.
> Accusing others of 'doing it wrong'.

Cool story bro.

it's marked. it doesn't matter what you marked it with, I don't care if it's paint, your moms period blood or your own cheeto dust mixed with snot. the fact that it's marked with anything is what's wrong. lrn2d20 noob

Some dice are made explicitly to be filled with crayon.

Hell people pay good money to have that bitter old man from Game Science hand paint the numbers in their dice.

>I dunno whether to berate you or feel sad
xkcd.com/1053/

If he's too stupid to read the post and realize those are dice from the early 1980s (none of them came marked and all had to be colored), then that's his problem. In fact, odds are good that those dice are 1. older than him, 2. smarter than him, and 3. have more seniority than him.

I was playing D&D in the 1980s. those single digit d20s were the ONLY dice we had you colossal faggot. They were not made to be colored, inked, period blooded or anything else. You're the fucking noob here for thinking they were ever intended to be marked on. all that shit came later- later in the 80s admittedly but I'm talking true originalfag dice and the correct way to roll your d20.

now go to bed kid I'm old and it's late.

If you're old enough to have used those dice dumb-ass, then you're old enough to know that they only came with 0 - 9 twice. There were NO teens or 20 on them. The only way to know if a result was a 6 or 16 was to mark one of the 6 faces to indicate a 16. Care to continue to show off your ignorance?

Those games are nothing alike, and Archipelago is amazing.

I own and like them both, but I'd be inclined to say that Archipelago has a lot more replay value in the long run.

The Horned Rat expansion somewhat fixes the Tzeentch/Slaanesh issue. The Morrslieb spell decks give them a more unique playstyle, Tzeentch is sneakier and Slaanesh is more resilient; they can win a game on their own merits instead of holding back and play scavenger or kingmaker, which was my main gripe with the base game, only Khorne and Nurgle felt like real contenders.

i'm a retired 'hex&paper' wargamer, current boardgamer and a wannabe miniatures wargamer.

Can I stay?

Help, I have this mysterious, strong desire to get myself a 55mm D20.

wuerfel-stube.de/55mm-translucent-blue-D20-Count-down

Their shop sucks so hard to get a look at the dice. Good thing I found the site I linked. They have Chessex dice better sorted than Chessex themselves.

As the official, elected spokesman of /bgg/, I hereby announce that you shall be allowed to stay. No harm shall befall you during your stay.

I've been here for ages, and I'm a hex & chit war gamer too. I've still got my original copies of OGRE and G.E.V. from the 70's, and I'm looking forward to receiving my OGRE minis from the recent Kickstarter for the larger 'designer edition' scale maps.

>They have Chessex dice better sorted than Chessex themselves.

This has puzzled me as well - considering that their primary business is to sell 'premium' dice, one would think that Chessex would do a better job of advertising their wares. Perhaps they're really only worried about the distributors?

Phew, thanks.

I have like 20+ historical wargames collecting dust, some of them played only once with my brother.
Took me some years to realize that it would be easier to find players if the game can be setup - played - and cleaned in less than 10 hours, hence the transition to board games in overall.

Other user wondered whether the RollFTG dice were shit because they LOOKED cheap on photos. The symbols do appear printed-on; if so they will rub off eventually.

Ah! The dice in RftG are small, but they aren't low quality. My copy has seen repeated use and the dice have held up just fine.

It is indeed hard to find players for historical war games at times sadly. I have a few that have long been unplayed as well.

>What is your most unobjectionable game? What makes your game group so comfy and drama free? We can't all just be trying to stab each other at the table non-stop like STEEV, can we?

Pic related.

But it's probably just Consulting Detective with Mrs. STEEV by the fire on winter evenings.

lol it's funny how you keep saying I'm the one who is ignorant, do you even know what it means?

I'm going to quote you just so we remember:
>The only way to know [] was to mark one of the faces to indicate
>The only way
>the ONLY way
>ONLY

What you are persistently ignorant of is that marking came later as a kludge and originally we rolled a 2nd die with the d20, odds or evens indicating tens or ones. Of course we marked our dice LATER when we heard about it, it seemed like the greatest thing ever at the time, but that's not what we did originally- originally we rolled 2 dice. That's original fag D&D and that's what I've been talking about.

Let's be clear, ignorance doesn't make you stupid but continuing to whine that the only thing you know of is the only possible way does. You could have just asked, but I'm tired of spinning you out so I hope your smart enough to feel like the retard you are instead of coming back and calling me ignorant instead.

>inb4 hurr durr u used your not you're

Would deckbuilding combined with worker placement be feasible? How about deckbuilding with tile placement and player token movement?

no. GTFO

Incidentally I won Yashima in a raffle and I find absolutely nothing redeemable about it. I'm guessing it's an outlier and sucks ass but I don't know.

Viticulture? I'm sure there are a ton of others. It's not like the mechanics aren't mixed often.

Viticulture isn't deckbuilding though, it's more like just a hand of options.

As for , I think Argent the Consortium might have some closer mechanisms, though I've not played it myself.

Please do not suggest that abomination for anything except kindling firestarting.

>Would deckbuilding combined with worker placement be feasible?

I sure hope so! I ordered Helionox with the expansion which includes some worker placement elements along with pickup & delivery elements. It has gotten good reviews and looks appealing to me. (They opened the KS with all stretch goals for late backers if you are interested.)

The picture is so small I can't even tell what game it is?

Deckbuilding with player movement works - see Clank. But movement can easily become the primary resource you're pursuing if you're not careful - again, see Clank. Tile placement could work as well, but I'm not sure how you'd avoid either the runaway winner problem that plagues deckbuilders if you let players buy or choose tiles with cards.

Worker placement and deckbuilding sounds interesting, but the systems don't have much in common. You'd have to figure out which one was going to be the dominant mechanic.

Seconding Helionox. I own a first print copy, worker placement + deckbuilding works really well here. Also the characters you play as have tiered assymmetrical powers which get depleted and recharged, I loved that mechanic.

>no. GTFO

That's harsh! It's not like user claimed to be a hardcore ASL fan or was recommending 'The Campaign for North Africa' as a "quick" war game... (There are some simple and fun war games with interesting themes and choices. I really love SJG's "OGRE" game for ease of teaching and strategic and tactical choices.)

Cool! I'm excited to hear that folks who own the base game really like it. The hard part will be waiting until it arrives.

504, the Friedman Friese TOTALLY AWESOME ORIGINAL IDEA. Here's a bunch of components, and different scoring methods, and mechanics, now mix 9 together and get a game, you can do it 504 different ways!

Or just buy actual games

Yikes! That sounds more like a 'How to design a game' tool kit for budding game designers rather than an actual game. I'd imagine it would go like this:

1. mix 9 mechanics and scoring methods together
2. paste on a theme
3. KS for 4chins and glory

>Of course we marked our dice LATER when we heard about it

So, what you're very clearly saying here is that you weren't able to figure out to mark your own dice until AFTER someone else showed you. Bravo! And you think you have the chops to call *anyone else* they're doing it wrong? Particularly since your entire argument is "You did it wrong because you did it before I did." Wow. I can see why you're into Fantasy games. Reality is NOT your strong point.

> 4 the record - I was just talking about crappy old-school dice. You're the one who shit his diaper over 'You marked yer dice earlier - u dun wrong'.

kemet best game

For someone who doesn't really enjoy worker placement games, but LOVES tile placement, area control, and is interested in engine building, would anons suggest Caverna: Cave vs Cave?

I found this old version of Monopoly while cleaning out a house. Can anybody tell me when this was made? It has no dates on it

But is it better than Cyclades?

I completely missed it, but it says 1961. Now I'm wondering if it is valuable.

Its good, but prob would get boring after 10 plays

Is it? I skipped Cyclades because I've heard it's really best with 5 and usually I don't have so many players.

I'm on the kickstarter, can't say otherwise. Not much of a kickstartee clans is my only one

Would you really call Helionox worker placement though? Don't you only have one pawn you move around the play area? Wouldn't that be more like an action selection mechanism rather than worker placement?

Has anyone here played Gloomhaven and if so, is it the masterpiece people say it is? What is your personal critique and review of it?

>captcha: select the vehicles
>entire picture is a busy highway
>Okay thanks for selecting every square, now please select vehicles for this picture too
>another busy highway

Wow fuck you too Captcha.

>Now I'm wondering if it is valuable.

Unfortunately - probably not. It was mass produced in large quantities and unless you find some die-hard collector that just has to have 'every edition' of Monopoly EVAR!, then odds are it's not super rare or valuable. Even among collectors, condition is everything and the box in your image shows a lot of 'shelf-ware' with the box being less than pristine by a good bit. You might check out Ebay and see how many other folks are selling copies of the game from that era.

Honestly that would be a tough call. I was under the impression that your action selection was more based on cards used - like illegal tech, etc. And being in the right location to deal with events was based on your ship and local resources (embassies) which were effectively your workers.

I watched a video on it recently, but I can't recall if it was Rahdo's or not (I'm usually not a fan of his chaotic explanations of games).

if you like setting up a game and interpreting rules more than playing
>504

Viticulture is super-comfy, as long as somebody isn't using the "get a VP every turn like a little bitch" tactic.
It's more an engine builder
>Caverna
Aaaaand now I'm reminded of that one guy who said he'd draw rule 34 of pic related

I meant the woman, you idiots.

>wanting dwarf women when Bryn exists
Never change Minifig

>I'm reminded of that one guy who said he'd draw rule 34 of pic related
>I meant the woman, you idiots.

Are you mocking my 'Kettle' fetish? ;)

"I like big 'Pots'. I cannot lie."

I found playing cyclades with 4 was pretty good as well. With 3 is terrible though.

Just the woman?

>if you like setting up a game and interpreting rules more than playing

No, no... I already have ASL for that.

Because smug faced Carcassonne chick also exists

I'd like to second this. It's peeked my interest, but not sure I'm on board yet. Are there some frustrating elements to this game that could singe the enjoyment over a long period of time?

>That's harsh! It's not like user claimed to be a hardcore ASL fan or was recommending 'The Campaign for North Africa' as a "quick" war game...

I'd never do THAT.. but look at the aesthetics of these Waterloo units... I still tend to just set up a full game (takes more than 1 hour) just to look at the board and clean it up because nobody i know, even myself have another 30 hours to play it.

Anyway, I just came back from my first gaming event and for the first time i could play with more than just two. Had a blast with colt express or even simple saboteur, however, I was confused in deadwood. Is there a way to catch up somebody that gathered lots of $ at the start of the game? Should just all players jump on the guy and start to shut his cowboys?
I don't know all the buldings, maybe there is some that lets you steal his cash?

Alien Frontiers any good?

I've spent the past few hours painting small details on some of my minis and now my hand is shaking a little, is hard to use (hold things or type with it), and feels exhausted. Is this normal for a beginner painter and does it go away after a while?

yeah, you're using muscles especially secondary ones you don't normally use.

be sure to support your wrist while you work

Atrophied/lazy muscles, assuming you don't smell toast (otherwise you might be having a stroke) generally the bigger thing to worry about with painting minis for too long is hurting your back from being bent over.

>assuming you don't smell toast (otherwise you might be having a stroke
for some reason this line is hilarious.

>support your wrist
As in, a wrist brace?

No smelling of toast (thankfully). I'm not leaning over too much so hopefully I won't have trouble with my back

no as in painting

you want everything but your wrist and hand totally supported. it helps with detail and fatigue. basically you don't want your arm floating, and since you're not working on flat paper/desk (aka drawing) you might not be naturally supporting your arm, thus making it do more work and be less stable.

it doesn't matter what you use (pool noodle, books, your cat...), I just always think of the painter's rod as the most

>tfw your group is meeting right now and you're not there

Technique goes a long way, getting used to comfortable positions to paint in is something that will come with time. For example sometimes I recline a good ways in my chair and rest my wrists on my chest. Keeps the mini close so I can see details as well as it supports my hands.

Among other things:
-Don't grip your brush super tight. I find myself gripping pens, pencils, and paintbrushes really hard when I'm using them. If you relax your grip a little you won't tire out your muscles so badly.
-Consider a taller/shorter table or bench for painting. Dining room tables are made for you to sit up mostly straight, but if you like to bend over to paint you may consider having something of a different height.
-Have some sort of mount for your mini. I use an old paint pot that fits will in my hand with some bluetak or tape on top and afix the miniature to that so I can hold the pot comfortably as opposed to having a crab claw grip on a tiny base.